EL L Europa League Group A

Fenerbahce 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 November 2016

R'hllor

Just finished watching a game...when it comes to EL what pisses me the most the way how he handles this squad. Seems if you give him more then 20 players he doesnt know what to do with them.

Why on fecking earth you use your first team players on EL games anyway,why you even bringing them across a fecking Europe just so they can lose a game. Use those like Depay and those not playing for you in PL,bring some kids,they can lose EL games away as good as those in your first XI. Not the mention injuries,Pogba being injured in EL...yea worth as feck.

Regarding post match reaction,majority of CAF just lost it,people just cant handle this whole situation at all,nor last 3 years. Last year,even if we won 1:0,it wasnt good at all for CAF,it was boring for you,it made you stop watching us play,you started wishing us to lose games...few days ago we had a good game where we failed to score...people werent bored that game i guess,nope thats not good enough either.

Threads popping up about manager,word "sack" starting to creep up. My stance nor opinion about JM didnt change but are you insane? You want us to push that reset button again,after just few months with him on charge? 81% of this place wanted this guy,people went full hypocrite mode just because there was a chance for him to become our manager. Now all acting surprised on things like him parking a bus or him throwing players under that same bus,i mean really?!

People laughing here at that clown Perez at RM but seems some if not most are more similar to him. Also how some loosing their shit here,we can see live the early stages of RAWK member creation.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Maybe he's trying to fire him up to get better performances for him, but what he may think is a tool to motivate Mkhi can also be taken as blame deflection
But this time he really should blame the players directly

jojose

Its a sat state of affairs when Juan Mata is your most mobile player and the one seemingly driving the team forward

Ixion

I can't stand watching teams press us into mistakes and chase us down constantly while we stroll around and pass with no urgency like its a training game. You can't legistlate for goals like the first one really but there is never an excuse for the opposition to work harder than us. It really feels like Mata and Herrera are the only two that care and are putting the effort in.

JoaquinJoaquin

Surely it can't be a bad idea to give Memphis and Schweinstaiger run of games. Can't see why not as the other ones have been poor this season and are still getting a lot of minutes
Schweinsteiger might of accidently found himself in the squad Sunday. Herrera is suspended, Pogba and Carrick injured, Schneiderlin a waste of time. Doesn't leave us with much option.

CS@SG

Schweinsteiger might of accidently found himself in the squad Sunday. Herrera is suspended, Pogba and Carrick injured, Schneiderlin a waste of time. Doesn't leave us with much option.
We have Fellaini.

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am a Bayern Munich supporter who has always had a soft spot for United, so this comment is not meant to be patronising or gleeful as I have great respect for your club. From my perspective, you still made some major mistakes on the transfer market:

Pogba and Ibra are players that were linked to Bayern Munich, too, before the start of the season. I was glad that we didn't sign the two because I think they are both players whose main aim is to shine individually and not to create a working team. Pogba has stated multiple times in interviews that he wanted to become "the best midfield player possible" and that he is motivated by the idea of winning the Ballon d'Or. I'm sure that he would move to City in no time if that improved the chances to reach his aims. Ibra has similar characteristics. His whole behaviour shows that all of Ibras respect and recognition goes to ... Ibra. He has proved this many times and while his interviews and pitch reactions are often very entertaining, he has a track record of not being a team player, too.

I'm convinced that both can be a valuable addition to functioning teams. But Pogba had Pirlo, Chiellini, Bonucci, Buffon ... who gave Juve an (Italian) spine and PSG also had a core of players around Thiago Silva, Veratti, Matuidi. Now, unfortunately I believe United is missing this spine of team players (Rooney is simply over the hill, de Gea might have lost recognition because of the Madrid saga and your young guns are simply too young to fill this void). So, what you miss is a group of players who infuse the team spirit that is necessary to be successful on this level. Whenever I saw United this year, it felt that there is a group of players that could play much better than they did. But they simply don't "click" as a team as there is noone who is holding the things together. Thinking about Roy Keane or Paul Scholes (or, for that matter, Eric Cantona) you might know what I mean.

I genuinely think it would have been a better idea to get one or two key players from Leicester (or other key players of lower Premier League teams, preferably English ones) who would have appreciated the opportunity to play for United and who would have given 100% for the honour to play in your shirt. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few players who feel this way and have the necessary leadership abilities at the same time.

Nevertheless, I hope that Mourinho gets this squad moving in the near future. You are sadly missed in the Champions League, where you belong...

Parma Dewol

What an absolutely terrible display that was. A 2-1 score line was flattering for us, they really should have beaten us by a bigger margin.

It was so frustrating to watch.

red_john

I think we have to consider the players mind sets of playing in the Europa league for Manchester United. 3 years ago we couldn't even imagine playing in it. I don't think the players are arsed imo.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

What ever happened to finding a starting XI that worked, and playing it for even 4 or 5 games at a time? (barring injuries obviously) Does my head in to see so much chopping and changing. Also, Martial/Rashford are STRIKERS. Anyone can see that. Get them up top and drop Ibra for a few games. Nothing personal against him, he just isn't firing and needs a rest. The whole set up looks so bemused and deflated. Let's not forget we weren't playing Barca or Madrid. We were playing Fener fecking bahce. We looked terrified and like we were beaten from the first whistle. Disgraceful performance. Our fans who, let's be honest risked their safety going out there, deserve their money back for that (not that we lost but the manner in which we lay down and took it). And gone are the days when you could think to yourself 'Ah well, we'll get it right in the next transfer window' because we have failed time and time again at this. Chucking tens of millions at it is useless. What we need is HEART. Where is our Bruce, our Keane, our Robson? We don't even have a player who comes close to a leader. We need men, not lost little boys. Our football doesn't even seem to have a purpose or a rhythm to it. It seems a case of 'he's free, I'll pass it to him and stand still - my job is done'. If we continue like this it really will be bottom half of the league. There needs to be a serious meeting between players and management and some home truths spilled. Then again, do these millionaires even care? At the minute I don't feel like the next game is an opportunity to put it right, I just see it as another potential disappointment and a weekend ruined. Sorry for the downer folks, just cannot think of a positive to mention :(

Gerald G

I think it was completely ridiculous to play such a strong team. We've been awful in the league and in dire need of some wins and we take such a team to Turkey? The thing is we didn't need to win last night to go through but we need to beat Swansea.

Not only were some players, who were probably tired, starting this match but then this obviously increases the chance of injuries. This is not a 'hindsight' thing. In the match day thread I posted my team with several changes. Just because beating Swansea was more important than trying to beat Fenerbache. Now we've got players that have flown to Turkey, more fatigue and possibly an injury (Pogba) and we still ended up losing.

We need to beat Swansea otherwise this is becoming farcical. After Swansea we're away to Arsenal so we better beat Swansea or we could soon be 12 pts behind Arsenal, which is nothing short of embarrassing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I didn't see much of it - by the time the snail-train got me home but was not impressed with DDG for either goal. Sorry but to be beaten by an overkick from there is poor and as Paul Scholes said, although it was a great freekick it was obvious were it was going and yet DDG never moved. As per two season ago not nearly enough urgency when we got back into the game (and great strike from Rooney, but I'm sure the haters will say why didn't he do in 15 more times). That said, it was the score I predicted and we "should" get at least four points from the last two games so might still make it

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
A paper written in depth analysis of our Fenerbahce game by Paul Scholes (WARNING:decoding needed)

jem

I am a Bayern Munich supporter who has always had a soft spot for United, so this comment is not meant to be patronising or gleeful as I have great respect for your club. From my perspective, you still made some major mistakes on the transfer market:

Pogba and Ibra are players that were linked to Bayern Munich, too, before the start of the season. I was glad that we didn't sign the two because I think they are both players whose main aim is to shine individually and not to create a working team. Pogba has stated multiple times in interviews that he wanted to become "the best midfield player possible" and that he is motivated by the idea of winning the Ballon d'Or. I'm sure that he would move to City in no time if that improved the chances to reach his aims. Ibra has similar characteristics. His whole behaviour shows that all of Ibras respect and recognition goes to ... Ibra. He has proved this many times and while his interviews and pitch reactions are often very entertaining, he has a track record of not being a team player, too.

I'm convinced that both can be a valuable addition to functioning teams. But Pogba had Pirlo, Chiellini, Bonucci, Buffon ... who gave Juve an (Italian) spine and PSG also had a core of players around Thiago Silva, Veratti, Matuidi. Now, unfortunately I believe United is missing this spine of team players (Rooney is simply over the hill, de Gea might have lost recognition because of the Madrid saga and your young guns are simply too young to fill this void). So, what you miss is a group of players who infuse the team spirit that is necessary to be successful on this level. Whenever I saw United this year, it felt that there is a group of players that could play much better than they did. But they simply don't "click" as a team as there is noone who is holding the things together. Thinking about Roy Keane or Paul Scholes (or, for that matter, Eric Cantona) you might know what I mean.

I genuinely think it would have been a better idea to get one or two key players from Leicester (or other key players of lower Premier League teams, preferably English ones) who would have appreciated the opportunity to play for United and who would have given 100% for the honour to play in your shirt. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few players who feel this way and have the necessary leadership abilities at the same time.

Nevertheless, I hope that Mourinho gets this squad moving in the near future. You are sadly missed in the Champions League, where you belong...
Fantastic post, and you really nailed it with the lack of spine comment. It would be interesting to see which players from a lower team would be useful additions. I guess the danger is that for every Kante, there is also a Schneiderlin.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement

Good points. There's lack of characters that have the understanding and are connected in more than shallow way to United. If Carrick was more used it might have done as a kind of a substitute to fill this void. Talking about Leicester, Danny Drinkwater seem like a guy that ticks those personality sub-boxes, though he might come short on football abilities front. We've got vacancy for DM, whom he is, plus he has a proven eye for a killer pass so in theory he could nicely fit in.

--------Drinkwater----------Herrera---------
------------------Pogba--------------------

We're currently lacking the human platform that could translate and instill the combatative United spirit on the pitch. Aside from Danny it may be more than difficult to find anyone else with sufficient qualities and I believe it's crucial that this player/(god permit)players are if not English, then British.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fenerbahce win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Fenerbahce 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Fenerbahce 1:1 Man Utd