PL W FA Premier League

Fulham 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 November 2023

RedOrange

2. Our attack is fundamentally missing a balance of goal threats. Hojlund, 20 and Garnacho, 19 are essentially carrying all the burden because i. Rashford is having a terrible season, ii. Antony is a dud, iii. Sancho is a cnut.
3. Bruno makes high risk high reward passes in general, but chances of reward are abysmally low because of 2. That's why he looks bad right now. Sort the front three out with genuine threats, and he'll look unstoppable again.
I agree with the rest but Bruno has been poor passing the ball. He's putting it behind the runners all the time and barely even looking at Hojlund at all.

Hester_manc

MoM has to be McT or Maguire.

Bruno scores our goal, but was very poor. Højlund would score goals if he was playing for an attacking team - right now he has to create his own chances. Eriksen had one of his worst games for us today.

I really miss Shaw. And we need a DM, again.

Baxquux

McTominay saying all the right things after the game about sticking together and paying the fans back, but you have to say it feels like there are a few problems going on behind the scenes with players unhappy with this and that. If the players are genuinely fighting and pulling in the right direction together I want to back them, even if we're playing badly, but I can't help but doubt the positive words coming out of the camp when you see how we're playing.

Erik's picks, his changes, the tactics and ultimately the football that is being played all look questionable at best, and at the moment we have zero control in any game against any opponent, which surely isn't sustainable. That said we've banked the points today, and it's a relief to get a win. We can talk about papering over cracks but a win's a win, let's see if they can pish forward from here.
McTominay wouldn't be getting these games under a properly progressive manager - people say that you can't force' players out, but with sufficient conviction and board backing, you can fins a market for most players. Likewise Maguire, whatever he complains about (which isn't to say he had a bad game today; just stylistically he doesn't suit a high-line team and forces us to be either too deep or leave too large gaps) . If they had more self- insight, they'd both be grateful to Ten Hag for their continuing to get games at such a 'name' team, even if we're not functionally a 'big' team right now. I think Scott probably does appreciate this slightly more tbh, parsing the public statements....

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Was our celebration really for 2 minutes?
I get adding time but 2 whole minutes is pushing it.
There was also a sub, Varane came on after the goal, the added time in the first half was a joke though, 3.5 mins for VAR, Maguire ws down for 1.5 mins????

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Onana, Harry, Evans, AWB, Bruno, Garnacho and Pelistri was all ok.
McT was not horrible.
Höjlund did what he could.
Dalot should not play leftback.

Eriksen and Antony should not play on a higher level than australian 3rd division when they perform like this. Eriksen have some coins in the bank so i guess one could write it off as a bad day, Antony plays like this every match now and Pelistri did more in the 30 minutes he played than Antony has the last 3 months.

Biggest problem is still our general play. No idea what our gameplan is, and we are so still being outfought most of the time.
Not today, the game plan was pretty obvious, play it long ala Ole style

Møllemanden

Where were you when United kept a clean sheet? :)

Fulham is a poor side and that's the only reason United got a win today. Some encouraging performances from Maguire, Evans and AWB though, but the lack of creativity is a big big problem. Ending the season with a negative goalscore is an actual possibility. Crazy.

The Irish Connection

Feckin yes!

Thought we were well on top for the first 25 minutes, much more intensity and Mctominay was getting to a lot of second balls, unlucky to have the goal chalked off.
Then we ran out of steam a bit.
Our defence won us the game. Thought Maguire, Wan Bissaka and Evans were all very solid.
Also, Palhinha should have had a yellow after 7 minutes.
Our wingers are poor.
Garnacho improved in the second half though.

For me this season is all about sorting the ownership situation. If we can get top 8 I’d be happy and then Ratcliffe really shakes up the recruitment and stuff for next season.

Also, massive respect for Maguire. The amount of criticism and abuse he’s had for the last 18 months and he just kept his head down, very professional, and now he’s playing solidly.
He’s not the solution as a regular starter but he’s shown great character and we need that in the squad.

MADReaLJL

McT getting some praises here but in my opinion he was abysmal for majority of the match.

Antony should be relegated to the reserves right away. At the moment he is worse than Sancho.

Bruno was playing too high. Instead of running behind the shoulder of defenders like a striker, I wonder the reason of our manager not asking him to find space in the pocket?

Ludens the Red

Tough place to go and win although they’ve been a bit crap this season. Clean sheet is good. Onana, Maguire, Awb all looked solid. Saying that it’s a massively papering over the cracks victory. That midfield seriously needs sorting out…

Hanky panky

Again one goal win against weak opponent with weak performance. We have actually overperformed this season. With these performances we should have less points than we actually have. Not very promising.

Alemar

You obviously haven't seen the Australian A League, much less 2 divisions down. I'd get a run out for the 3rd division.
But it is actually very likely that indeed you would perform better than this Antony

Glorio

McTom's PR machine is different class - Joe Cole called him outstanding :houllier:
Joe Cole actually piling on, directly telling EtH how brilliant he was, and how he brings wonderful balance to the midfield

FerociousCorgis

McT getting some praises here but in my opinion he was abysmal for majority of the match.

Antony should be relegated to the reserves right away. At the moment he is worse than Sancho.

Bruno was playing too high. Instead of running behind the shoulder of defenders like a striker, I wonder the reason of our manager not asking him to find space in the pocket?
I'm so confused reading some of the posts. Amazing what a late goal will do for papering over the game performance.

Hanky panky

They'll actually scuff their way to Champions League again, won't they? :lol:
No they will not. There will be at least 5-10 poinst gap between us and Champions league spot. These one goal wins with shit performance can´t continue long.

lex talionis

The last week has been rock bottom stuff and we’ve been the lovechild of Grim and Dire but somehow — this may proof of God’s existence — we’re still in touching distance of fourth place.

The Irish Connection

Our fans are something else fair play to them they deserved that.
100%, they were brilliant.
We were solid defensively today. And Maguire and Evans were finding some good passes through the lines into midfield, but our real issues happen with how sloppy we are in the final 3rd, lots of good positions wasted.

We definitely still need a top right winger and probably two top midfielders.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Three consecutive away wins for the first time since Covid, can you believe it?

It should have been an easy win with us getting an early lead and then have all sorts of spaces to run into. I won't argue that it was the wrong call to make, but i'm still waiting for one of these 50/50 calls to go our way. It seems that the turmoil we're in has given the officials a free pass to screw us time and time again just to show that in the PL the "big" clubs don't get the calls when they aren't playing well.

Cheers to Leno for basically pushing the ball into his left corner after a speculative and rather weak shot. We needed some of that.

Two wins in added time and the FA Cup game last season... Fulham and Silva must really hate playing against us. :lol:

Other than that, we're just bad at football. These are the types of wins that, with the way the club is run, perpetuate the problem instead of solving it.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I read on here this morning that we're up against an intelligent manager. Presumably to make the point that our manager is not. I also read that the Fulham starting 11 was superior to ours. Picture my surprise then when I came in to check out the reactions on a gutsy 1-0 away win by the underdogs today only to find out that the Caf are MORE unhappy with us than ever!!
We're in the shit. Nobody is performing well. Gutsy 1-0 wins are what we need till we find solutions or form or both. I'll take it for now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Happy with that. Thought we were hard done by chalking off that McTominay goal too. No question about showing less fight than Fulham too.

I hope people observed how hard Garnacho worked off the ball. Absolutely light years ahead of Rashford. And as they game wore on he became more dangerous. If and when Rashford comes back into the side (fitness related today) I'd play him off the right and get him to supply Hojlund.

Banana Republic

Joe Cole making a good observation.
All the players looked like they wanted to play for the team and the manager, even if it wasn’t coming off for them, individually or as a team.

I have to agree.
Even if we were lacklustre and poor for much of the game, today there wasn’t that couldn’t care less, lack of effort from any of them.
Even if they weren’t having brilliant individual performances.
That should be ETH’s first priority.
Stop the lack of effort, the down tools attitude and drop any players who are not putting in 100%.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
MoM has to be McT or Maguire.

Bruno scores our goal, but was very poor. Højlund would score goals if he was playing for an attacking team - right now he has to create his own chances. Eriksen had one of his worst games for us today.

I really miss Shaw. And we need a DM, again.
What has Shaw done? Fot mob has him back late November. Heck of a blow really, especially with Malachia having done something even worse.

Parma Dewol

McTominay: “We saw the banner before the game and the fans pay good money to come and see us, the support is relentless every single week and we just want to repay them as best we can.”

Anyone know what the banner was?

RedDevilUnited369

The win, the three points is all that mattered.

Get confidence back in these players then work on improving the football.

KGBhoy

Joe Cole making a good observation.
All the players looked like they wanted to play for the team and the manager, even if it wasn’t coming off for them, individually or as a team.

I have to agree.
Even if we were lacklustre and poor for much of the game, today there wasn’t that couldn’t care less, lack of effort from any of them.
Even if they weren’t having brilliant individual performances.
That should be ETH’s first priority.
Stop the lack of effort, the down tools attitude and drop any players who are not putting in 100%.
Yes! Effort was better. But lots of work to do as our passing was awful.

Maguire, Onana, McT, Garnacho with good performances. I was glad to see AWB back. Antony didn't have a good game at all. I didn't realize he was on the field until 30 minutes in. The off-field issues must be affecting him more than we realize.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Actually more convinced Ten Hag isn't up to it after watching it. Barely celebrated the goal which is terrible, I know. They're just lucky wins. Can't perform during the 90 to save our lives. We're 18th in the league for minutes being ahead in games.

RedOrange

McTominay: “We saw the banner before the game and the fans pay good money to come and see us, the support is relentless every single week and we just want to repay them as best we can.”

"Try putting in some effort"

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Think it said "play like you mean it".

Conor

'Stop losing games'

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 249 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results