CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 2:3 Galatasaray

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 October 2023

The Hilton

It really is Murphy's law at the moment, tonight was an absolute robbery.

We were utterly dominant, creating chance after chance, we gifted them all 3 goals, as well as gifting them an extra man.

glasgow 21

We are missing our first choice back three to be with varane so without them we vulnerable . Simple as our back up are not good enough.

Tragically Hip

Over the last 10 years, Moyes and co have broken many many negative records.
ETH appears to have broken another negative record having lots more games in the opening set of games than any other manager since 1986.
Quite extraordinary.

We'll give ETH more time, but by the looks of things, nothing is changing. And the GK is an absolute disaster. We have gone from having one of the best GKs to one of the worst.
The other issue which was not addressed in the Summer, was the striker issue.

Not sure where we go from here, cuz things appear to be staying bad or getting worse.
Hojlund almost scored three today; we have a striker.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Dalot for the first goal, Amarabat/Varane for the second, and Lindelof/Onana for the third. And of course Onana for sending Casemiro off. Individual defensive mistakes cost us the game, just like against Bayern.

We should have scored 2 or 3 more as well - but Rashford is in abysmal form right now, and Bruno made some poor choices. But it was individual defensive mistakes that cost us.

We actually played some great football, I don't think EtH is to blame. Onana was the best keeper in the CL last season, but of course he throws two games away after coming to United. The club is cursed.

I knew I shouldn't have watched the game.

yeti

if results keep going like palace and galatasaray its curtains for ETH. its just how much time the board will give him. Steve Mclaren might just take temp charge, but you cant hide from these results.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I really cannot see where Onana is an improvement on DDG; yes hes better with the ball at his feet but hes nowhere near David as a shot stopper.
Just goes to show that keeping the ball out of the next through good shot stopping is critical. De Gea was obviously a shell of his former self, but I would've had far more confidence in him in goal this year, and I think the players would as well.

Winrar

Normally don't watch women's football, but I might start actually following the ladies team so I don't have to contend with this BS.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Bruno and Rashford (though he was better tonight) have been brutal for us.

Bruno tonight was just incomprehensibly terrible.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Horrible result. Probably end of our UCL campaign, but the drama here is also too much.

In reality this game was a progress. Hojlund scored two goals.

We are not done. Just very unlucky, injured, and rebuilding with too many new players.

Sea-Cow

Toys are all out of the pram. Knee has been jerked. I am depressed about these pathetic dorks.

I thought Hannibal was decent enough in the first half and didn't warrant getting hooked. He wasn't great with the ball but his energy and getting tackles in was quality, as to be expected from him.

Except for that sprint back and tackle to win the ball and stop them scoring in to an empty net right at the end, Bruno was awful. Again.

The CBs were both awful. Again.

Diego Dalot was so fecking soft on the first goal, and offered nothing going forward. Again.

Just generally god awful football. Its a chore to watch us going forward and "attacking", and the defending and goal keeping are atrocious.

Delano

Best we've attacked all season.

Worst defensive display I've seen since Sevilla.

Dobba

Just goes to show that keeping the ball out of the next through good shot stopping is critical. De Gea was obviously a shell of his former self, but I would've had far more confidence in him in goal this year, and I think the players would as well.
Did they have their memories erased Men In Black style after the Cup Final?

I guess it'd explain them all forgetting how to pass.

RedIan

For the majority of that game we played very well. At times at 1-1 we were attacking like days of old. The onana mistake cost us the game simple as that. Defensively another shambles.
The lack of any fit full backs is also taking a big toll on the team.

On the plus side Hojlund is going to be a special player.
Its a very difficult time but getting on the ETH out bandwagon isnt the way To come through it.

Ibrahimorich

Generally decent performance. Nearly a hat trick from Hojlund. We are absolutely criminal at losing concentration though and that pass from Onana was a complete gift.

We need to go back to basics and just be hard to beat.

youngrell

It's definitely concentration for me, a common theme of goals we concede this season are either really soon after we score, or when it's been a while since the opposition have attacked.
It could still be either explanation, really. It’s almost like the opponent can score whenever they feel.
Whatever the reason, it’s pathetic from us that’s for sure.

redmanx

Hojlund almost scored three today; we have a striker.
Hojlund is a far better option than Martial who is nothing more than a show pony, Hojlund works for the team, makes runs, holds up the ball, brings others in, none of which Martial really wants to do.

Superunknown

Next 5 games...

Man Utd vs Brentford
Sheffield Utd vs Man Utd
Man Utd vs FC Copenhagen (Champions League)
Man Utd vs Man City
Man Utd vs Newcastle (League Cup)

Hmm.

Sea-Cow

Bruno and Rashford (though he was better tonight) have been brutal for us.

Bruno tonight was just incomprehensibly terrible.
He really was. Did he one hit decent corner or set piece all night?

sparx99

It really is Murphy's law at the moment, tonight was an absolute robbery.

We were utterly dominant, creating chance after chance, we gifted them all 3 goals, as well as gifting them an extra man.
It's absolutely one of those times where when you can least afford it you also make massive errors. That's a big part of things at the minute and it obviously overshadows any positives.

Briso12

ETH's selections & tactics must be in question. He persists with clearly out of form players (Mount, Fernandes, ONANA & Rashford). Surely it can't get worse starting Garnacho & Pellistri on the wings feeding Hojlund & Eriksen's experience in the No.10? Give the Under 21 defenders a
run out,too. At least they will have legs!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Højlund and Eriksen were very good.
Casemiro and Mount were good.
Everyone else was bad to very bad.

We had the killer combo of unlucky bounces and brainfarts. At this level you finish your chances or you're out, and we deserve to be out for playing like this. If Rashford puts his head down and beats the keeper in that 1v1, and if Onana doesn't shit the bed, we win this. That would paper over a lot of cracks, true. We did have some good moments and we looked lethal in a few parts, but we were undone by our own defensive lapses.

Disappointing and frustrating.

I don't think this can be put on Ten Hag. Even signing Onana, we all knew he'd have some howlers and give away some soft goals, but we were willing to try it to get to this new possession confidence he was supposed to provide. Whatever Onana's problem is, Rashford has one too.
This sounds a fair assessment.

I'm hoping we turn it around starting this Saturday.

Thought the players were putting in the effort and were up for it but because we've been having a shit run, the moment we concede you can just feel the confidence draining out of them.

Can't do much more but keep going.

RedAlert27

We need a whole new back 4 (maybe keep Martinez) and a new goalkeeper. Players must've thought it was job done going 2-1 up as we completely crumbled with no fight.
Eriksen and Casemiro in midfield is a disaster in the making. Onana should be dropped for Heaton, Lindelof for Evans. Play some of the under 18s at this rate.

Who gives a...

I can't believe our defence after Hojlunds 2nd. Atmosphere was incredible at that point. We finally have a striker that looks made for Man Utd, then, wow, just shocking.

singhters

Some of the comments are unbelievable.

amrabat just come in, mount has just come in, hojlund has just come in, give them time, mount did ok got stuck in tonight, hannibal was good great energy.

onana well say no more can only improve i guess.

attacking wise we were alot better could have easily blown them away and scholes is speaking sense.

redmanx

It could still be either explanation, really. It’s almost like the opponent can score whenever they feel.
Whatever the reason, it’s pathetic from us that’s for sure.
Our players seem unable to concentrate for longer than the opening 20 minutes or after we score and this is costing us dearly

davidmichael

Is Heaton fit ? If so I think he needs to start as he’s a very steady and reliable keeper, nothing fancy and no frills but does the basics well and is decent on the ball.

I swear ETH said the Turkish keeper was starting tonight as it’s easier to adapt in a European game than a PL game ? That decision cost us the game as Onana seems to be a goalkeeping version of Bailly, just missing the flying kicks that could take a head off.

About tonight though and it’s clear Amrabat isn’t going to work at left back and his skills in midfield are needed so play Harry Amass who’s said to be the most talented left back for his age in the country, if they’re good enough then they’re old enough.

Regardless of whether Fernandes is captain or not someone needs to give him a fecking rocket as he’s forever giving the ball away under no pressure then throwing his hands in the air and blaming everyone but himself, Dalot also is defensively so fecking weak and naive that I’d rather see a youth player playing there.

Rashford is shot of all confidence and needs a period on the bench to slowly bring himself back to last season, Garnacho has shown more all season so far. ETH is in a world of trouble as outside of Martinez last season and Hojlund this season his signings have been poor and he’s the one clearly pushing for the signings.

BorisManUtd

We just look broken defensively this season. Should've conceded 2 vs Wolves, conceded 2 vs Spurs, 3 at Arsenal, 4 at Bayern, 3 vs Brighton and 3 tonight.

I was worried towards the end of last season that Casemiro may go on a decline and needs a proper back up/partner in midfield. Think our only hope is Amrabat turns a good signing when he starts playing in midfield because if not we won't finish even in top 6 with the competition we've got in PL.

Wing Attack Plan R

This sounds a fair assessment.

I'm hoping we turn it around starting this Saturday.

Thought the players were putting in the effort and were up for it but because we've been having a shit run, the moment we concede you can just feel the confidence draining out of them.

Can't do much more but keep going.
Yep, very brittle team at the moment. Paper tigers. The problem with Bruno as captain, is when things start falling apart (as they often do) you need a leader on the pitch rallying the players. Like Keane would do. Bruno just throws a strop and moans at the ref. Where are the fighters?

Woodzy

Horrible result. Probably end of our UCL campaign, but the drama here is also too much.

In reality this game was a progress. Hojlund scored two goals.

We are not done. Just very unlucky, injured, and rebuilding with too many new players.
We have lost 5 in the last 7… that’s not drama, that’s a crisis.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 94% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 308 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw