CL D Champions League Group A

Galatasaray 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 November 2023

Pughnichi

What a game. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

I know it makes life difficult but it was just nice to watch expecting chances to be created. Such a difference to many of the poor performances so far this season

I’m gonna defend Pellistri. He could/should have passed a couple of times but he just makes things happen. And only for a great save from the keeper at his feet.

a great cameo from Mainoo

even Antony looked half decent. Add to that Martial in his last couple of appearances.

I am optimistic for the second half of the season with AWB and Shaw playing reasonably well and Maguire fighting back

Garnacho looks to be stepping up again and believing he’s a main player for this team

just need Rashford to stay away from the starting line up…and Onana after a few solid performances to cut out the clangers

and I’d love to see Amad come in and have a similar Mainoo like impact from the right

BootsyCollins

We did not play that bad, but we are NEVER in control of a match. Not once this season.

And we let teams back in the match every time we lead. So fecking gutted after this match.

Onana, not mutch to say really. Other than thats horrible.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Our defence was absolutely atrocious, cost us badly this time. Really wanted to get one over on the Turks in their own back yard.
Is defence and midfield, and attack really. A collective unit. Their fullback had a field day down our left. Same as the first leg. We're stuck between a press and a low-ish defensive block and end up doing feck all. A better team would have honestly beaten us easily today.

bstb3

Mental game, we should have had 5 or 6, but deary me we have to be better at controlling. Onana will take the blame, rightly, but the freekicks came from poor play in front of him - and that was on the huge gaps in midfield again. McTom great goal, but too indisciplned. Mainoo and another with positional discipline is what we need, going forwards.

Can't fault the effort and commitment, and to all those who say we don't score without Rashford on the pitch? Well?

Yorke to Cole

Onana is a bit cnutish. He is not right a team that is not settled defensively. Although, I thought Maguire was decent.

Cantona in disguise

It’s a shame we had to field an outfield player in goal today, because with a professional goalkeeper we’d surely have won.

It certainly was entertaining, extremely so, and with some good, penetrative attacking football from our side.

I’m not blaming Ten Hag today, that was solely on Onana, and we need to start seriously questioning whether we should still trust him. AFCON can’t come early enough.
Yes he was poor tonight and deserves the pelters but he has been in good form recently and made some important saves. Unfortunately you're only as good as your last game.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Overall, I’m gutted we didn’t win but I’m optimistic that we’re on the right track. Desperately need to stop making individual mistakes.

AndySmith1990

There is always one person to blame. This time it's Onana. Usually it's the ref. Funny how some never blame the man in charge of building, training, and setting up the team

Yorke to Cole

Just to add. I do not want any European football for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
So assuming Bayern win tonight. And we somehow beat Bayern and Copenhagen beat Gala. We finish level on points, isn’t that correct?

is it still head to head which means we take it on away goals?
Yes, we have every chance IF we beat Bayern, but Bayern tend not to let up in their dead CL games.

siw2007

Unbelievable game of football, a game that we should have won but once again we’ve blown it, this time thanks to mistakes by Onana. Loved Garnachos performance, thought he was great.

Think we will make it to GW6 but don’t think we will make it to the knockouts now.

chay chay okocha

One of our best team performances of the season. Created really good chances, showed really good courage to play the ball well in a difficult stadium in a must-win game, and really only let down by incredible individual mistakes (Onana obviously, but we also created great chances in the last 10 minutes and largely wasted them from individuals displaying real lack of composure and technique in key moments).

On players - I was skeptical of pinning any sort of hope on a young midfielder with barely any first team minutes, but Mainoo's ability on the ball in the middle third really opens up games for us. Antony may also have played one of his best games for us - if he can keep this up, particularly the ability to go outside a fullback, we may have a serviceable right wing.

BelfastRed2021

Poor from Onana which retty much cost us but the chances wasted at the end also cost us Bruno is starting to look good and we have scored six in our last two games so we are starting to score but Mctominay leaves us far to open in midfield so i really hope its Mainoo amrabat and bruno on saturday

RuudTom83

United scored 3 great goal from some great attacking play.

But completely undo it all by gifting 3goals away.

Tells you all you need to know about this team.

TheRedHearted

I thought they were the better team and we were barely worth 3 goals. They got a gift from Onana but thought they were worth it, certainly not a smash and grab we can feel hard done by. If anything they should have had more the number of times they sliced through us.
Didn’t we sell that keeper that had a great pre season - or did we keep him?

Boey with a tackle below the knee gets a yellow, Angelina with a tackle right above Antony’s ankle and nothing.

referee allowed them to do this constantly was insane.

Onana also doesn’t like to come out in a 1 v 1, this has to be terrible United coaching because de gea did the same

BorisManUtd

Another frustrating CL night and result. We just can't get the result even when we play well. 3-1 up, everything going fine and then Onana concedes another free kick in the same match to get them back into the game, again. Their 3rd goal was really well taken by the scorer. Should've scored our 4th after that but couldn't and we're most probably out of CL (and maybe Europe as well).

Such an entertaining game though. I would've enjoyed this draw if we weren't on 3 points before the game. That's 4 points won out of 12 possible against Copenhagen and Galatasaray. Even if beat Bayern somehow it's not in our hands.

vanrooney

the onana bashing is unfair i think. the second was on martial, the third was a belter and the first is a good free kick. on the other hand there were enough chances that have to be played out. good game all around. shit result

Hester_manc

I really hope ETH bench Onana from now on. Even De Gea wasn't sure first choice when he joined United and Onana has by no means deserved to play. His performances for us have been miserable this season and he has cost a lot of points. He has one man sent us out of the CL - it's crazy. I can hardly stand the sight of him.

I don't want to get into a personal frenzy like some fans showed against Rashford or Maguire. But there must be a limit to how many chances Onana will have for us before he ends up on the bench.

Dravy

Until we address the gaping hole in the center of the pitch with midfielders capable of composure and the ability to control a game we will keep leaking goals. The centre backs aren't great either, but Bruno's tendency to bomb so far forward, along with McTominay's desire to do the same leaves us way too open in the middle.

Onana was terrible, but it's not like we haven't done this when he's had an average game either.

What we need is a couple of Carricks, and a partner for Martinez.

Heinzesight

I think people are being harsh to the rest of the team. They more or less did everything you'd want them to do. It's unprecedented for a keeper to cost us three goals! When has that ever happened?
Thought our outfield players were great. Really composed, some lovely play.

BelfastRed2021

There is always one person to blame. This time it's Onana. Usually it's the ref. Funny how some never blame the man in charge of building, training, and setting up the team
how the feck can you blame the manager for two of the free kicks and the other goal jesus

SER19

It's genuinely just disappointing. We looked in such great shape at 3-1 i thought we might get a 4th. The Onana error was a catastrophe

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I had said it when he came here; Onana will cost us many games.
Sell him!
He's not good enough

Infra-red

Played well by our standards, but we're a mediocre side with a pretty bad goalkeeper - these things happen. We might not be very good, but we are starting to become quite entertaining to watch, which is a positive.

Yanited__

For the neutral, obviously a great game. Neutrals must love watching us, always some drama/tense feelings to our matches.

Unfortunately for us, 2 really bad goalkeeping errors cost us this game. You could argue some blame on ETH as well with 2 poor in game substiuitions.

I still find it baffling how Hojlund (our only focal point up top) and then Garnacho (one of our goal threats) were taken off. Can probably justify Hojlund cause of his injury but I didn't quite get the Garnacho call.

Either way, bottled it (again!). Twice we were in the lead and yet again we gave it up. Can't expect to get through to the round of 16 like that. Now we're in a situation where we're relying on hypotheticals. Need Bayern to slap Copenhagen, we need to beat Bayern and hope Galatasaray draw/lose. Just don't see it happening.

Manny

Grammar Police
This entire group stage is on Onana.

We've played well in most of these games, but have let in some shockers.

davidmichael

I just don’t see what Onana has to do to get dropped, he’s had so many bad moments already this season and it’s only December. I know we wanted a ‘ball playing keeper’ BUT surely we need one who can actually hold the ball or make a save without throwing the ball in the net, he’s going to cost us a lot this season.

Outside of Onana I can’t fault anyone as we win that game comfortably if not for his fecking ridiculousness in goal and I want Heaton playing going forward, it’s amazing how much quicker we look moving the ball around and in build up with Rashford not on the pitch too.

Parma Dewol

Rollercoaster of a game. At 2-0 we were cruising, only for a goalkeeping howler to bring them back into it. Thought we showed good composure to get our heads together and make it 3-1, only for an even worse goalkeeping howler to let them back in.

With goalkeeping like that, and second-rate forwards like Martial and Pellistri missing absolute sitters, it was always going to be tough to take the lead again.

Gutted we didn’t get the three points, but our Champions League campaign was thrown away in earlier games. Howlers aside, we do look to be improving. I’m now slightly more optimistic about the league campaign. Only slightly, mind.

Nogbadthebad

I'll say it again.

Put the money we wasted on onana, mount and the rest of this summer's business anfd give tottenham 180 million for kane.

Last year's team+ kane would be in the top 4 and cruising this group.

All of this is on management.

Jev

Yes he was poor tonight and deserves the pelters but he has been in good form recently and made some important saves. Unfortunately you're only as good as your last game.
He doesn’t have a lot of faith in the bank after multiple howlers earlier in the season. He’s just cost us way too many goals in four months, even with his recent improvement, and another two in an extremely important game makes his record even grimmer.

vibe

just need Rashford to stay away from the starting line up…and Onana after a few solid performances to cut out the clangers
Bit strange for me that you want Rashford to stay away from the starting 11, but are giving Onana the benefit of the doubt. And that's not even me defending Rashford.

But if you put me in charge of the starting 11 and told me 1 of Onana or Rashford had to start in it, the only time Onana would be wearing gloves is when it snows.

SteveCoppellFan

I think we have played really well in these CL games, but we have gifted away silly goals so so often, tonight was no different.

Really happy with how we played tonight, just lacked composure and a bit of luck when it mattered.

Onana's floppy hands are becoming an issue though, not sure what that is all about tbh.

always_hoping

Draw never good when leading 2-0 and 3-1 but draw would have been a decent result but for the previous results.

The damage was already done in this group with a home defeat to Galatasary and away to Copenhagen both games had to play with 10 men.

Siorac

Disappointing to let another lead slip, but f**king hell, what a match.
Yeah, at least the group stage has been entertaining. Not some depressing string of anaemic 0-0s. That's something.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Galatasaray 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Galatasaray 0:2 Man Utd