CL D Champions League Group A

Galatasaray 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 November 2023

Parma Dewol

It's not just Onana. He has obviously been a big reason for this but this is also what happens when you don't know how to control a game of football.
I agree we’ve been terrible at controlling games this season, but oddly, I thought we were better at it tonight. Looked in control at 2-0 until we got Onana’d. Seemed even more in control at 3-1, until we were double Onana’d.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If Munich stick a few past Copenhagen tonight, we beat them on the final day and Copenhagen avoid defeat on the final match day I think we qualify
A lot of ifs there, the largest one hinges on a team who can’t win a game beating the best team in the group

spiriticon

The match reminded me how boring I find modern football in comparison to 20 years ago.

Red For Ever

Onana is not even close to being good enough, but that can be said of quite a few in the United squad these days.
Players that would once have been squad players at best are now considered mainstay players of the team.

I don't understand how over the years, keepers palm away or punch even the most straightforward shots, in the not-too-distant
past some of those would have actually been caught and held by decent keepers.
and the tendency to make routine saves look like world-class saves just makes me laugh.

Yanited__

Also don't want to criticise the kid but Pellistri unfortunately one of the worst cameos I've seen from a United sub this season.

For as bad as Onana was, as bad as the in game management from players/ETH was, Pellistri should've scored at least twice.

Woziak

The fact that we could qualify with 7 points is mad.
[/QUOT
We won’t we will get 4 or 5 and not being playing European football after Xmas.

Just for not picking Varane in a game of this magnitude he should be sacked ?

tomaldinho1

Yeah we should have calmed the game down but they had what 3 shots. I mean proper shots on goal and all 3 Onana should have saved. I don't know how anyone else is to blame. You can't plan or do anything if the keeper just fks up
First two agreed, third one was an absolute bullet so not sure on that. Kind of like saying their keeper should probably have saved Bruno's goal. It's been a CL campaign to forget for him.

Acquire Me

Very happy with our play. We are getting better. Too bad they had that Onana guy. Two easy goals from him.

cpresc

All the moaning in here…

Football is entertainment

Were you not entertained?

Cantonagotmehere

I agree we’ve been terrible at controlling games this season, but oddly, I thought we were better at it tonight. Looked in control at 2-0 until we got Onana’d. Seemed even more in control at 3-1, until we were double Onana’d.
Agreed mate. Thought we did quite well in Turkey tonight besides the GK's howlers.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’m so tired of the lack of composure from so many senior players in this team. Onana floundering is one thing, but every time we lose any semblance of midfield in the second half of these games while Bruno and McTominay decide to play striker. Every fecking time. And then we wonder why we concede leads so much.

UpWithRivers

First two agreed, third one was an absolute bullet so not sure on that. Kind of like saying their keeper should probably have saved Bruno's goal. It's been a CL campaign to forget for him.
Brunos could have gone either side of him or he could have crossed. That 3rd goal he had nothing on but to shoot. Mainoo was covering back post. Keeper should cover near post.

stu_1992

Infuriating result. I cannot believe we have scored this many goals in the CL and have held so many leads and yet we are bottom of the group. Horrendous mistakes by Onana in this game, and others, and also panicking after red cards. So annoying because for the most part we were good tonight, as in other games, especially going forward.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Ten Hag has created problems for himself:

Fighting with Sancho
Fighting with Varane
Getting Onana

Pughnichi

Bit strange for me that you want Rashford to stay away from the starting 11, but are giving Onana the benefit of the doubt. And that's not even me defending Rashford.

But if you put me in charge of the starting 11 and told me 1 of Onana or Rashford had to start in it, the only time Onana would be wearing gloves is when it snows.
I’m not defending Onana. I can’t after his performances in ECL this season. Although at least he looks like he gives a damn and apparently has the character to overcome a difficult start

Rashford just can’t do anything right at the moment though and looks an entitled miserable sod that can’t believe the depths of his own inadequate performances.

anyway. An enjoyable game at least and loved seeing Mainoo again and playing just as well (albeit with limited minutes) as he did v Everton…which is amazing given the circumstance of Gala away from home

fps

If Taibi had got a whole season, this is how it would have played out.

Cyanide

I think people are being harsh to the rest of the team. They more or less did everything you'd want them to do. It's unprecedented for a keeper to cost us three goals! When has that ever happened?
Exactly. I have no complaints for anyone other than the keeper.

tomaldinho1

Brunos could have gone either side of him or he could have crossed. That 3rd goal he had nothing on but to shoot. Mainoo was covering back post. Keeper should cover near post.
Watching it back I think a top keeper would save Bruno's, there doesn't seem to be a good angle for their 3rd goal - need to see from behind the ball.

SB16

Oh well. There's a good chance we'd get dicked by whoever we faced in the next round anyway, especially so considering they'd likely be a higher quality of opponent than Galatasaray and Copenhagen, both of whom are pretty poor. Would have just been delaying the inevitable. We're not a great side, and Europa League is about our ceiling at the moment.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Onana cost us massively and even his most ardent fans can't deny this.
Also our lack of composure strikes again.
Does he have any?? So much for the playing out from the back crap. Would have de Gea back in a heartbeat.

Heinzesight

If Munich stick a few past Copenhagen tonight, we beat them on the final day and Copenhagen avoid defeat on the final match day I think we qualify
I think the only way we make it to the CL knockouts is if Bayern win tonight, we beat Bayern at OT and the other match is a draw. Is that right?

laughtersassassin

Missed the second half.. no surprise to see we fecked it. Never have a champions league group been fecked so much by us.

Disgraceful.

IRELANDUNITED

I think the only way we make it to the CL knockouts is if Bayern win tonight, we beat Bayern at OT and the other match is a draw. Is that right?
If Bayern win tonight Copenhagen will be on 4 points (same as us) and depending on what the score is they will either have the same or a worse goal difference than us. So it will all depend on what the scores are on the final day. If we beat Bayern 1-0 and Copenhagen beat Gala 1-0 we might go through

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Galatasaray 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Galatasaray 0:2 Man Utd