CL D Champions League Group A

Galatasaray 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 November 2023

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We have been pure kamikaze in Champions League this season. We are the third top scorers in the competition. The top scorer in the competition plays for us. We have scored three goals in all our away games, and won none of them. Absolute chaos.

galwayfa

Shaw flying forward at 2 up and 3 1 up, it was because of this Bruno had to track back and give 2 stupid fouls away, also the wall for the 1st goal was horrible, the 2nd goal defenders to deep, keeper was horrendous, some might say cause of the 3 definitely 2, at times it looks like he spills every shot. Thought team did wellish but winning nothing with this team. Lack of leadership is a major concern

Lee565

Who didn't see this coming, the warning were there against Everton but were massively let off from wastefing chances against us.

I'm bored of watching any half decent footballing side enjoying more possession than us as seen again tonight, whilst onana is a huge liability, so is what ever ten hag is coaching the team and his line ups as we leak so many chances and can't remember the last time we controlled a match with ease?

Lost bear

fecking brilliant game. I actually thought we played really well, scored some wonderful goals. If not for the goalkeeping errors we’d have won it, and the first leg. We’re not nearly as bad as you’d think if you based your opinion on the caf. Especially the match threads. We nearly did win it, with Bruno hitting the post. We’ve got the makings of a great team . The return of Licha will be a major part of it, and when Hojlund starts scoring, which is inevitable.

This is a minority report. But wait and see.

Didn't watch the game but when i saw we threw away another lead I knew McTominay had started in midfield.

Fts 74

fecking brilliant game. I actually thought we played really well, scored some wonderful goals. If not for the goalkeeping errors we’d have won it, and the first leg. We’re not nearly as bad as you’d think if you based your opinion on the caf. Especially the match threads. We nearly did win it, with Bruno hitting the post. We’ve got the makings of a great team . The return of Licha will be a major part of it, and when Hojlund starts scoring, which is inevitable.

I enjoyed it too I must admit.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It is very concerning how many horrible games Onana has had, esp in Champions League

That said, if team is winning a critical game 3-1 at 58th minute and it is unable to finish the game off, with a win, manager's match-management is shit. I am for Ten Hag but this is the truth. He shitted his pants

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It is very concerning how many horrible games Onana has had, esp in Champions League

That said, if team is winning a critical game 3-1 at 58th minute and it is unable to finish the game off, with a win, manager's match-management is shit. I am for Ten Hag but this is the truth. He shitted his pants
What can the manager do if your GK is behaving like an open dam?

ObscureBaguette

We're the top scorers in the group but only have one win. It's bizarre. We've also conceded the most. That's where the problem lies.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Who didn't see this coming, the warning were there against Everton but were massively let off from wastefing chances against us.

I'm bored of watching any half decent footballing side enjoying more possession than us as seen again tonight, whilst onana is a huge liability, so is what ever ten hag is coaching the team and his line ups as we leak so many chances and can't remember the last time we controlled a match with ease?
What are you talking about? We are the most inform team

miked99

One of the best games I've ever seen, but it's hard to enjoy it from that perspective when you support one of the teams.

Four points from five games. We won't be going through and we don't deserve to.

On the plus side, our attacking game has improved significantly in the last two games. On the downside, we're completely chaotic and Onana has forgotten how to be a goalkeeper again.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I didn't watch the game but seeing that the substitution happened on the 58 minutes means ETH thought we had the game in our pocket. Why is Amrabat replaced by Mainoo when we are up? Wouldn't it be good for Amrabat to see out the game and Mainoo starts at Newcastle? Even though Onana screws up the free-kick, substitutes have an impact on the game. Why would you substitute in the 58 minutes which is just 13 mins into the 2nd half? If the sub were made in the 70-75 minutes, the game would be different. It is like telling to opponent that the game is over, we are putting our bench and coast to victory therefore inviting more pressure on ourselves. I cannot understand the rational behind his substitutions.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What can the manager do if your GK is behaving like an open dam?
For starters, if the goalkeeper has already single-handedly cost you two goals, replace him! Don't wait for third feck up.

Secondly, he should have locked down midfield and defense to keep the lead.

Thirdly, he is the manager of United, he should know what to do, without random people like me on this forum

GledTheRed

Chaotic in defense as we have been all season, let's be honest it should have been 3-3 against Everton but for their shite finishing.

Newcastle away next...

GledTheRed

Why do you not just camp out on your 3-1 lead and wait for the inevitable gaps on the counter? Craziness, should have beaten those shit cnuts twice and seen out the game against Copenhagen away.

Superunknown

Being 2-0 and 3-1 up and not going on to win the game is just unacceptable. We're too easy to score against. Gutted.

m1tch

We were always gonna concede 2 or 3 tonight in that atmosphere. The surprise was that we managed to score 3 ourselves.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I just watched both goals conceded by Onana, all I can say "Wow". That's criminal, how can a United goalkeeper let in not 1 but 2 goals? I don't know what kind of lens is Erik wearing, the players that he bought are not world-class. United paid world-class fees for average players. Antony and Onana are unlikely to improve and we are stuck with them due to the fee. I expect an established classy player instead of some mid-tier average players with those fees.

SB16

I think some folks are overstating how well we played tonight. Sure, we had some chances and scored three good goals. But we had less possession, fewer shots on target, fewer passes, fewer corners, and looked just as likely to concede (except the last 10 mins). We're not really playing like a team whose playing style has matured enough to play in elite European competition. The porosity of our midfield and the ease with which are exposed in transitions is a huge worry.

Wheato

Refreshing take, and yes there are signs that we are turning a corner. We have had some horrendous luck with injuries and trying to shoehorn square pegs into round holes. Luke Shaw coming back is so significant. Our forwards have started scoring again. Mainoo offers some stability in the middle.

If we could just learn how to see out games, control the pressure from the opposition. Just keep the ball for more than 10 seconds. Even with a 2 goal lead twice in the match, we were still vulnerable, when we should be coasting. We were still marauding up the pitch with a 2 goal lead, when we should have been keeping it tight and making it difficult for them, but we seem to be unable to keep the ball for any sustained period. We lose it when the midfield try to feed the forwards, instead of playing less risky passes to team mates in space. The cohesion is not there, the partnerships are not there, because the personnel are constantly changing.

I think we still lack a defined style of play, and many are playing as individuals instead of for each other. Too often, the game plan goes out of the window after we score. And we concede instead of killing teams off. One of the first things you learn as a schoolboy is that you are most vulnerable after you score, but we fall for it time and time again. We have a mentality issue that infects the whole team. And it's a nut that we really need to crack.

Denis79

There's a certain irony in how much we're struggling for goals in the Premier League yet score 12 in 5 games in the Champions League. And that we'll still not qualify.

It's really maddening how we suddenly started playing football again once they equalised. I never understand this. Surely if we're capable of taking the game to them and creating chances at 3-3, we should have been able to do better at 1-3 or 2-3? We've practically given this game away on multiple fronts.

The less said about Onana, the better.
Score 12 and still have a -2 goal difference.

croadyman

We might have provided some entertaining games for the neutral,however chaos and individual mistakes have scuppered any hopes of qualifying

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just caught the highlights and Onana is a one man CL campaign wrecking machine. Can’t help but laugh at how pathetic that was :lol: Anyway time to focus on the league

Lost bear

I think some folks are overstating how well we played tonight. Sure, we had some chances and scored three good goals. But we had less possession, fewer shots on target, fewer passes, fewer corners, and looked just as likely to concede (except the last 10 mins). We're not really playing like a team whose playing style has matured enough to play in elite European competition. The porosity of our midfield and the ease with which are exposed in transitions is a huge worry.
All agreed. But ETH’ s project began last season, and club is still in a hell of a mess. I see those green shoots. That’s all. But it’s important.

Lost bear

Refreshing take, and yes there are signs that we are turning a corner. We have had some horrendous luck with injuries and trying to shoehorn square pegs into round holes. Luke Shaw coming back is so significant. Our forwards have started scoring again. Mainoo offers some stability in the middle.

If we could just learn how to see out games, control the pressure from the opposition. Just keep the ball for more than 10 seconds. Even with a 2 goal lead twice in the match, we were still vulnerable, when we should be coasting. We were still marauding up the pitch with a 2 goal lead, when we should have been keeping it tight and making it difficult for them, but we seem to be unable to keep the ball for any sustained period. We lose it when the midfield try to feed the forwards, instead of playing less risky passes to team mates in space. The cohesion is not there, the partnerships are not there, because the personnel are constantly changing.

I think we still lack a defined style of play, and many are playing as individuals instead of for each other. Too often, the game plan goes out of the window after we score. And we concede instead of killing teams off. One of the first things you learn as a schoolboy is that you are most vulnerable after you score, but we fall for it time and time again. We have a mentality issue that infects the whole team. And it's a nut that we really need to crack.
I wonder if the lack of a clearly identifiable style of play could be turned into a blessing, making us more flexible and adaptable. There were traces of a SAF side about Utd tonight. That said , I totally understand what you mention about controlling matches. Scholes and even ETH made similar points after the game. Also about playing as a team, not as individuals.
It’s just I’m sick of posts that downplay everything about us: the whole squad is shit, ETH doesn’t know what he’s doing etc. it’s as though people have forgotten just how bad we were prior to his arrival.
I think there were many positives tonight, although obviously it stinks to lose like that. It gets me too, but there’s a rich potential in these players, several of whom are still very young. I think it’s very promising. We’ll have to go through pain to get there, though.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I can't believe how bad, in order from worse, AWB, Garnacho, Hojlund and Shaw were. I think AWB and Hojlund might still be carrying injuries.

I'm really starting to doubt ETH now. Surely, he could have switched tactics being up 3-1, but nothing changed.

always_hoping

I can't believe how bad, in order from worse, AWB, Garnacho, Hojlund and Shaw were. I think AWB and Hojlund might still be carrying injuries.

I'm really starting to doubt ETH now. Surely, he could have switched tactics being up 3-1, but nothing changed.
Weren't among United's worst performers IMO

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Galatasaray 1:2 Man Utd