PL W FA Premier League

Hull City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 August 2016

OLLY ORANGE

Thankfully started enjoying watching the football again. Looks like there's a good atmosphere between the players and a team spirit that's building. Fair play Jose to need to take the credit.
Still don't think he's found his best eleven yet.
Clearly Martial is out of sorts, maybe a bit of bench time is coming his way. I hope he is not a sulker but he gives me that impression. I felt playing him on the left from the start is a mistake when the game is so tight. You just know he's coming inside. Playing with Valencia down the wing could be fruitful. Rashford then to possibly start on the left.
Fellaini was surprisingly disciplined after his usual yellow card. The side in the second half just looked powerful in the middle and bossed it. Henri looks a player that's just gotta start where he wants most probably at Rooney 's expense.
Although Wayne did well at the end to beat the player down the line for the assist he just doesn't offer a threat enough times through the game for which is what he's on the pitch to do.

Oneunited26

De Gea, Bailly, Blind, Shaw, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan, Rashford,

These are the players that can easily become part of a solid premier league winning team.

Jose really has changed the core of our side.
We will see has the season progresses, but I think the club has made some pretty good signings a top manager like Mourinho can work with over the past couple of years, its just guys like VG kept pulling the pin on the bomb, having no clue how to get more out of this squad. He has inherited some players who are the main stay of the team, but? got to give Mourinho credit that all 4 signings really have raised united's level and given us whole new dynamic in how we play. If Mkhitaryan is a no10, never have I seen one in a long time that can pick up the ball from deep, and just drive his way through players with break neck speed.

For the manchester derby defiantly one or two changes I hope Mourinho makes, Mkhitaryan for mata,
DDG
valencia, Bailly, Blind, Shaw
Fellaini, Pogba
Mkhitaryan, Rooney, Martial/Rashford
Zlaten

The left handside is what I call the only question mark of this team

Maccataq

I think what impressed me most about how we played against Hull was that we dug out a Fergie time victory and it would have been more significant had we not, considering both City and Chelsea have already dug out a late win each. It was good to have players come off the bench and pose new problems and we kept putting pressure on them. I was thinking it would be one of those days but always felt we might create something. We really struggled to put teams under pressure for sustained periods last season and we would generally run out of ideas and lose our way. It felt different with more belief and we kept probing to get the breakthrough.

Maccataq

We will see has the season progresses, but I think the club has made some pretty good signings a top manager like Mourinho can work with over the past couple of years, its just guys like VG kept pulling the pin on the bomb, having no clue how to get more out of this squad. He has inherited some players who are the main stay of the team, but? got to give Mourinho credit that all 4 signings really have raised united's level and given us whole new dynamic in how we play. If Mkhitaryan is a no10, never have I seen one in a long time that can pick up the ball from deep, and just drive his way through players with break neck speed.

For the manchester derby defiantly one or two changes I hope Mourinho makes, Mkhitaryan for mata,
DDG
valencia, Bailly, Blind, Shaw
Fellaini, Pogba
Mkhitaryan, Rooney, Martial/Rashford
Zlaten

The left handside is what I call the only question mark of this team
Agree with that line-up but I think Fellaini picked up a back injury and is set for a spell on the sidelines unfortunately. I think Schneiderlin seems the obvious replacement but perhaps Smalling could come in and move Blind to midfield but I'd be unsure about changing the defence since they are playing so well. I'd like to see Rashford in the line-up but my only question mark about him replacing Martial is how well he defends since he has generally played up top so far.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It's a positive to see teams defend against us. Usually the best way to attack us is to come at us, in the last 3 years anyway as we tended to be there for the taking. I know Hulls squad is basically non existent but still!

We kept at it, positive game winning substitutions, unlike a Louis sub style of taking our 2 fullbacks off...

It's the little things. Signs of our winning mentality coming back on and off the pitch. It clearly meant a lot to the lads when the goal went in. The energy is back.

We will have our ups and downs, but in a close game - it's great to see we have the hunger and drive that could be the difference

Kostur

海尔的老板
Is it harsh to expect Rooney to score from his chance in the first half when he's had the ball at ~5th yard and he smashed it against a defender?

Maccataq

Is it harsh to expect Rooney to score from his chance in the first half when he's had the ball at ~5th yard and he smashed it against a defender?
At first, I thought he had to score that chance but on seeing it again, I think the defender (Davies I think) got a challenge in which meant he could only really shoot straight at the defender on the line so good defending for me.

Oneunited26

Agree with that line-up but I think Fellaini picked up a back injury and is set for a spell on the sidelines unfortunately. I think Schneiderlin seems the obvious replacement but perhaps Smalling could come in and move Blind to midfield but I'd be unsure about changing the defence since they are playing so well. I'd like to see Rashford in the line-up but my only question mark about him replacing Martial is how well he defends since he has generally played up top so far.
I think fellaini will be fit in 2 weeks time, that's a long time in football but herrera can come in. I think Mourinho wants rashford has a impact sub, where Mourinho has worn teams down he can put on Rashford to pick off opponents with legs tired, hull was a perfect example of relentless mourinho pressure. While Mkhitaryan I feel changes the dynamics on how we play, rooney defiantly looked allot better when both rashford and Mkhitaryan made more movements, he along with shaw, valencia and pogba had more to play with with rashford and Mkhitaryan adding that dynamic threat to our play. I would still keep rashford on the bench, and bring him on in the manchester derby if the game is tight to try and tire city.

Last 20 mins of the game
DDG
valencia bailly blind shaw
fellaini/herrera pogba
Mkhitaryan rooney rashford
zlaten

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'd play Rooney on the left and drop Martial, Who's been absolutely dreadful since the FA cup final. Mkhitaryan could then play centrally behind Zlatan.

With Martial playing so poorly and Depay being shit, our wing options have almost become non existent.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I was more annoyed in the second half when Zlatan, Mata, Rooney alll had chances to either shoot or set up someone for a shot inside the penalty area bt chose to faff around with the ball like twats instead. Then Mkhitaryan was practically given an open goal and took about 3 fecking seconds to get a shot away.

Yet shots were raining in on the Hull goal from 30-40 yards out without any hesitation.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd play Rooney on the left and drop Martial, Who's been absolutely dreadful since the FA cup final. Mkhitaryan could then play centrally behind Zlatan.

With Martial playing so poorly and Depay being shit, our wing options have almost become non existent.
Have they? We've got Mkhitaryan and Rashford in good form, Mata playing better than last year, Lingard was excellent last time he played, Young rarely lets us down in recent years when he gets a chance, Martial and Depay struggling a bit, Rooney, Valencia at a push...

Sure it would be nice if Martial was flying but to say we're out of options is crazy for me.

Maccataq

I think fellaini will be fit in 2 weeks time, that's a long time in football but herrera can come in. I think Mourinho wants rashford has a impact sub, where Mourinho has worn teams down he can put on Rashford to pick off opponents with legs tired, hull was a perfect example of relentless mourinho pressure. While Mkhitaryan I feel changes the dynamics on how we play, rooney defiantly looked allot better when both rashford and Mkhitaryan made more movements, he along with shaw, valencia and pogba had more to play with with rashford and Mkhitaryan adding that dynamic threat to our play. I would still keep rashford on the bench, and bring him on in the manchester derby if the game is tight to try and tire city.

Last 20 mins of the game
DDG
valencia bailly blind shaw
fellaini/herrera pogba
Mkhitaryan rooney rashford
zlaten
Can't really disagree with that. I read that Fellaini could be out for several weeks but if it's not that bad then good news. Interesting that you put Herrera ahead of Schneiderlin though, I really like Herrera but do you think for a game like City we need the defensive qualities of Schneiderlin? Pogba is going to be playing box to box so I feel we need someone who can play as a holding midfielder.

Backrow Singer

I was at the game yesterday and it was a hell of an atmosphere. Was like the old days where the game would be 0-0 with 10 mins or so to go and we'd just throw the kitchen sink at them. Brilliant.

We did brilliantly to win that IMO. Hull sat behind the ball from the first minute and we had to find a way through them. We created a fair few chances but just couldn't finish them off but I always had the belief that we'd win it. Rashford and Mkhitaryan came on and really helped swing the game in our favour and luckily we got the winner. Brilliant work from Rooney to skip by his man and show the composure needed to find the right pass. That resilience and mentality to keep fighting and believing will hold us in good stead for the season.

We need to be more clinical though. We'll face those sort of games a lot this season when the opposition have nine men behind the ball and we'll have to break them down. In games like that you have to finish your chances. First half we weren't great, second half we were much better but we deserved the win for sure.

I'm looking forward to the Derby already.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
When I hear Rio and Scholesy talk about Rooney like that I doubt myself..... Are we being too critical?
Nope:D

If they would have some balance to what they say about him then that would put a different spin on things. But how can you trust them not to be biased when they ignore his bad play and insist on throwing his team mates under the bus? That is the worst part of their punditry for me, the fact they're so harsh with other players (the foreigners ironically) but never say a bad word about Wayne. So don't doubt what your eyes are showing you.

clarkydaz

When I hear Rio and Scholesy talk about Rooney like that I doubt myself..... Are we being too critical?
why should he be above critique for poor performance? its like Neville not having a go at England players. Their evaluation is get the ball to Rooney, he likes to be involved...and that's it. if he is playing poor is due to things around him not right

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Great to get a late winner.I think that will do wonders for us.Not the greatest performance but hey thats football.
Well impressed by Mkhitaryan & Rashford.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
3 points + "Fergie time winner" + The team has attacked in the last 20 minutes to score the winner (A shame that was never the case in the last three seasons) = :drool:

The celebrations (Players with the fans) were brilliant too........just a shame i was in the last row.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
why should he be above critique for poor performance? its like Neville not having a go at England players. Their evaluation is get the ball to Rooney, he likes to be involved...and that's it. if he is playing poor is due to things around him not right
It is? Quite clearly remember Scholes laying into Rooney, I think last year, about how he either doesn't want to play in midfield or can't as he's not intelligent enough. I think Scholes just says it how he sees it, albeit tinged with his subjective opinions as everyone is.

clarkydaz

It is? Quite clearly remember Scholes laying into Rooney, I think last year, about how he either doesn't want to play in midfield or can't as he's not intelligent enough. I think Scholes just says it how he sees it, albeit tinged with his subjective opinions as everyone is.
If I'm correct, you might be referring to Scholes recently saying the thing with Rooney is he gets bored easily, in regard to his best position debate

clarkydaz

Ixion

Last season we won 3 in a row in the league only once in the entire season. Not bad for Jose to do it in his first three games, two of which were away. This and the Bournemouth game were prime examples of the games we'd have dropped points in last year.

NotQuiteManc

No, he didn't.
He got Plan A and Plan B.
Both speedy boys came on as subs with fresh legs. Against tired legs, they do have huge advantage since they are fast and fresh. :)
Exactly my thought too. Mou probably knew how Hull would setup against United. Heck for the last 3 years at least most teams would setup for counter game vs United.

Dont think any of them played badly. Just Hull had almost of them inside their half most of the game. Great game by Bailly and Blind though. Mopped up most of the long through ball and immediately passes it to the midfield especially in second half. Kept the pressure.

I think thats one key difference between this team and last seasons and before that. Faster forward movement and passing whenever possible. Rather than safe side to side passing.

Either way maximum points!

NotQuiteManc

Only worry at this point is that Martial might become the odd man out
I think it is normal in any players career to have a downer of a season. Hopefully it is just a slow start from him.

Luckily for United they have plenty of cover this time around in Memphis Micky and Rashford even if needed. Rooney to a certain extent.

Marcus

The playing conditions suited a team parking the bus better than a team trying to attack. I am glad that there were no injuries. Just wait for Pogba to strike a non-slippery ball in the same positions he created for himself. I see goals.

AndyMUFC

It was frustrating to watch. The conditions were tough, Hull were very well organised and that coupled with our lack of pace in the starting lineup made it difficult for us. There was only one team winning it though and Rashford and Mkhitaryan made a huge difference when they came on. Love last minute winners, it's just our trademark.

9 points out of 9. A great start before the international break!

Barnslig

Worst thing about the Hull match being over is that we're back to the international break. Just had a very long euros, to come back to the amazing Premier League, only for it to last three rounds and we're served the ever so boring international football again...

Cathy Ferguson

Not really, since we are much less dependent on him this season than we were last season. He is clearly out of form but that is not a major issue now that we have brought in Mikhi, Zlatan and Pogba, and Rashford takes his chances when he comes off the bench.

carlosp

Hull City vs Manchester United Post-Match Analysis by Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand and Alex Bruce (includes Mourinho's Post match interview)

MrBest

So martial plays poorly for 4 or 5 games (euros don't count, Pogba was awful there) and he should be dropped to put Rooney who has been poor for about 4 years? No logic in that. Should be martial left, mata at 10, miki on right behind ibra. Rooney is a awful player these days. Yes he made a great assist but for a player on 350k a week he should be doing that week in week out without giving away possession constantly! I'm still looking for a manager with the balls to drop him. He needs a reality check.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
He was the coolest kid on the block, coolest assassin, etc... Hope he gets that back sooner rather than later. A couple of goals would do wonders. An assist from Zlatan, v City in the 95th minute?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
- Why is sitting on the edge of your own area for an entire half of football and then losing "brave"? It is the opposite of brave. It's the equivalent of a boxer refusing to throw a punch for an entire fight because he's too scared of getting hit back, and then getting knocked out anyway.
:lol:

You are right. They parked the bus and this does not define bravery. In fact, its cowardice, though if I were playing against Ibra & co, I too would park the bus.

carlosp

So martial plays poorly for 4 or 5 games (euros don't count, Pogba was awful there) and he should be dropped to put Rooney who has been poor for about 4 years? No logic in that. Should be martial left, mata at 10, miki on right behind ibra. Rooney is a awful player these days. Yes he made a great assist but for a player on 350k a week he should be doing that week in week out without giving away possession constantly! I'm still looking for a manager with the balls to drop him. He needs a reality check.
Rooney is not going to get dropped. So logically the next worst player should be because not matter what, he wasn't great against Southampton too. And I am talking about Martial here. So should we accommodate Rooney in the number 10 roll where he is really struggling or try him out in the roll Martial was playing, if Mourinho drops Martial? We could have Mkhitaryan playing in the no.10 roll which would be a big improvement.

Distracted Steward

That match was a little bit of a gut check. Hull acquitted themselves well. They gave a good preview of what a well-organized, tenacious defense is for this squad to deal with. United have a squad capable of winning the league, but they still look a ways from putting it together. It's going to take a more cohesive effort to consistently beat squads that play like Hull did. That will probably come with time, but this United team is a ways away from being better than the sum of its parts.

Eventually gravity will take effect, but Phelan looks to be the best possible man for the job at Hull. They may very well have the best possible man at the helm for their situation. He is the poise and competence they need at a very, very difficult time. It'd be suicidal of them to look elsewhere for a manager.

It's clear Mourinho has a deep and varied squad. He has a lot of options, and he'll make good use of them. It was a good summer. Four signings and the squad's gone from obviously incomplete to a potential juggernaut domestically.

The difference between LVG and Mourinho is amazing. LVG worked through the week and treated match day like a supporter in a hospitality suite. He did nothing to fix problems between the whistles. Mourinho--on the other hand--is clearly at the helm of the team throughout. From working on the touchline to going straight for Smalling after Rashford's goal, he was in charge in a meaningful way. I hated watching LVG allow problems to continue. He just accepted them and seemed to make chagrined comments to his assistants. Mourinho is there to fix problems and win. United are far better for it.

Rashford made the crucial difference when he came on, and I put him down as man of the match. If it weren't for that, I'd picked Blind. Bailly has stolen a lot of the limelight being a new signing, new to the league and ahead of the curve for his age as a center back. Quietly, Blind has made a strong, strong case for being one of the two starting center backs. Smalling will have to be at his best to take a spot from either of the two. As it stands, they are playing to their strengths and their weaknesses look pretty much theoretical. Long may it continue.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 913 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Hull City 0:3 Man Utd
  • 26% Hull City 0:2 Man Utd