CL L Champions League Group H

Istanbul Basaksehir 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 04 November 2020

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I still can't believe it...

If you're a goal down in the 94th minute, fair enough.

But 0-0 after 10 fecking minutes? What is happening there? Why is no-one on the sidelines screaming bloody murder? Why is not one defender screaming?

It is literally like an U-5's first football match. Kids wandering around, clueless.

Tapori

But 0-0 after 10 fecking minutes? What is happening there? Why is no-one on the sidelines screaming bloody murder? Why is not one defender screaming?

It is literally like an U-5's first football match. Kids wandering around, clueless.
In the Ole general thread, his interview in Norwegian means he more than anyone will be fuming.
He literally emphasized we have have to defend well.

Foxbatt

Normally it is AWB who is the last man on corners. Why the heck did Mata and Bruno decide to feck around with a short corner there with two of the CBs up front? OK to have a short corner but they should have crossed immediately. Then AWB decided he needs to get into the box and leave everything behind.
Yes Matic needed to be close to Ba but there is no way he is going to catch up with Ba even if he was along side him. Henderson should have been screaming blue murder too when Matic and AWB decided to go on a walk about.
As for the second one, yes it was a hard pass but Mata should have controlled it better and not get pushed off the ball. We have no structure in the way we play football and we need to get a better manager who can stucture the team and also get rid of Pogba.

Asger

Great response after the Arsenal loss. We look like a well coached team that's on the up.
More like we look like overrated team that doesn’t care about the club, only think about their wages! Just sell them all!

1nil

Never show too much respect to the opponent. This was quite the opposite.

I’m sad to say this as a UTD fan but If we have to work with this lot, a defensive coach might do us more good.

archiebald

Demba Ba at 35 looked like classic Rashford for the breakaway goal.

TheNextNo7

Also why did we sell Fellani again?, our only tactic for the last 15mins was lofting the ball to the back post

Red00012

That’s Mike Phelan standing on the touchline he’s obviously said nothing as Matic doesn’t look until ball has been played

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
So wait, have we decided if Ole's a PE teacher or a tactical genius? I haven't been following.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
@GifLord Could you get a clip of the entire play during the corner they scored the first goal from? I guess that would be the 15 seconds or so before your clip in the OP. Foxbatt gave a fairly good description but I'm just trying to see for myself and try to get an understanding of how that entire mess happened with everyone so out of position.

Foxbatt

@GifLord Could you get a clip of the entire play during the corner they scored the first goal from? I guess that would be the 15 seconds or so before your clip in the OP. Foxbatt gave a fairly good description but I'm just trying to see for myself and try to get an understanding of how that entire mess happened with everyone so out of position.
Yes if Giflord can put it from the time, they headed it out for a corner from the AWB cross. Thats is where all started.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I had a angry walk and I couldn't stop thinking about why Maguire is the captain. He must do something other wordly in the dressingroom becasue on the pitch he's just not commanding.
Come over to the dark side Tom. A lot of people who don't believe Ole is the man to take us forward have become immune to performances like these. No real highs but then again no real lows. Nice even keel. Life's too short for all those angry walks.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thanks.

So I don't have too much of a problem with anything until AWB passes the ball the first time. At that point he should continue to drop deeper, both to give the ball-carrier a different option and (more importantly) provide the defensive cover which he's supposed to when we take a corner. Matic' movement is also very poor. Does the right thing in the first place to drop deeper, but after that it's poor. In theory somebody else (probably Shaw or Tuanzebe) should see the problem and be rushing back to cover since AWB is now out of position, but those are much smaller errors. Perhaps a finger could be pointed at Henderson as well as he's seeing everything in front of him so could have been screaming at somebody to get back in cover, although that's probably harsh. Actually the exact same thing could be said about our coaching team on the side of the field.

But overall it was definitely mostly AWB and Matic. They both should be made to watch that play multiple times and shown exactly what they should have been doing at that time.

Last edited:

cyril C

Normally it is AWB who is the last man on corners. Why the heck did Mata and Bruno decide to feck around with a short corner there with two of the CBs up front? OK to have a short corner but they should have crossed immediately. Then AWB decided he needs to get into the box and leave everything behind.
Yes Matic needed to be close to Ba but there is no way he is going to catch up with Ba even if he was along side him. Henderson should have been screaming blue murder too when Matic and AWB decided to go on a walk about.
As for the second one, yes it was a hard pass but Mata should have controlled it better and not get pushed off the ball. We have no structure in the way we play football and we need to get a better manager who can stucture the team and also get rid of Pogba.
Matic should never be the last man, he is too slow. One of the full back, or in fact both, should be around.

cyril C

What is the C word? Complacency, both manager and players. Just a walk in the park.

Foxbatt

Matic should never be the last man, he is too slow. One of the full back, or in fact both, should be around.
He never was. It was the brain child of Mata and Bruno to decide to take the short corner without telling any of our players. AWB should have never be hanging around there either. He hould have been running back and take him out of the equation from the short corner pass. He then made matters worse by 1. Not crossing. 2. Not passing to a team mate. 3, Decided to take on the opposing player trying to pull in a cross while all out defenders are in the opposing box including most of our midfield players and very conveniently forgetting that he is the last man in defence during corners.

RashyForPM

In the Ole general thread, his interview in Norwegian means he more than anyone will be fuming.
He literally emphasized we have have to defend well.

Fantastic observation Ole Gunnar. Never noticed. I mean, we’ll never leave an experienced, clinical striker with 3/4 of the pitch to himself would we?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Another amateur like goal conceded by the team. Every sunday league team knows to keep at least two people back so you outnumber the oppositions striker when you send your CBs up for corners.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

To be fair, it didn't show that clear in 10" ipad.

RedBedlam

Hard to fathom that none of players including goalkeeper had this sorted. One just in front and one in behind the attacker, basics. We could go on until blue in face. It's basics for players on pitch and for coaching staff. Had to endure Liverpool mate(we'll sort of) at work saying he watched replay 50 times..........in slow motion. Please beat Everton.

A tad off subject but QLD beat NSW in State of Origin. Yes I am clutching!!!

Marcus

I hope Ole ripped into his players after the game like they cost him his job because they have. Unless it was his tactics.

Himannv

I mostly watch matches only on MUTV. That means I watch it a day later and that kind of saves me a lot of stress. Managed to avoid watching the 1-6 and even yesterday's game as a result and it's done wonders for my mood.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Looking like a bunch of fecking zebras, playing like donkeys. Our captain and our manager are the biggest of them all.
Embarrassing stuff.

The first goal had some real comical quality. An orange player standing all on his own at the half way line. Maybe the lightning was bad and nobody saw him to shout something. Wtf?

Son

Disgusted with the way we have started this season. Completely unprofessional and heads need to roll.

Never rated any of the old boys club some of our fans seem to adore because of their exploits on the pitch 10 or more years ago for us.

The people employed by our club to be leaders and take charge are spineless. All learning on the job or just winging it as they go along.

Phelan is maybe the only person I rate to a degree and I still preferred Queros and Maulensteen back when we where actually good.

It’s embarrassing and we need some real thinkers and real progressive people at the top of their game right now coaching our players, not some lackeys who are in Sir Alex’s good books.

SambaBoy

Another season wasted in November. Rinse and repeat.
Exactly how I feel. The summer window dampened expectations but you always still hope we have turned a corner. It's going to be a slog off a season, I expect it get worse or continue to Xmas and then we will probably have a few good months of form to try compete for 4th.

Verbalkint

This is the result of many screw ups at this club. The special bunch of players we have who require special motivation, Ole who hasn't figured out his best side and formation after a hundred games in charge and whose substitutions continue to baffle us & finally Ed Woodward who can't do his job & back the manager in a transfer window.

Managers will come and go, Ole might be sacked. Poch won't make a difference either. It's all this dark, vicious circle. Woodward isn't bothered about signing players or trophies and we're pretty sure the Glazers aren't either. He'll keep sacking managers as he sees fit.

Bestietom

As usual, One step forward two steps backward. Some great performances and then this. Same with reaching 3 semi finals last season, bad tactics and team selection.

Craig Ward

That’s Mike Phelan standing on the touchline he’s obviously said nothing as Matic doesn’t look until ball has been played
Not true, there's clips doing the rounds that show Phelan screaming at Matic.

You cant blame the coaches for this instance - it's more to do with clueless players on the pitch not caring and not reading the game. Matic as an experienced players needs to be crucified for this. AWB too is usually last man but he goes walkabouts as usual.

Shambolic from the players, especially Matic

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Istanbul Basaksehir win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Istanbul Basaksehir 0:2 Man Utd