CL L Champions League Group H

Istanbul Basaksehir 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 04 November 2020

hubbuh

He's not really watching. He's just spending time with me.

Actually makes it even worse come to think of it.

The lenghts we all go and the shit we get served.
Yep. We are being stiffed by people who have no fecking clue what they're doing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I thought Rafa was brilliant.
Yeah, I agree. For us it was VdB who looked composed and positive until he got subbed. Very impressed with him. A couple more players of his quality and we could actually play good football regardless of the manager.

Falcow

Been Ole in all the time but he has to go now
Same. This performance has nothing to do with glazers or Ed.

Five terrible performances so far this season. Only really two good performances and both in CL. Newcastle was so so and Chelsea wasnt great.

We looked really lost tonight as well as Arsenal game.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
That felt like a seminal moment to me. The players don't forget how to mark, press, chase and the fundamentals that have got them where they were. A combination of downing tools, being poorly coached and having no set plan/tactics is a recipe for disaster and a disaster we do have.

spiriticon

If we're gonna lose to an Istanbul team, at least make it Fenerbahce or Galatasaray. I don't even know who these no marks are. Jesus.

eire-red

You're almost sitting there in shock, watching it all unravel.

What's worrying for me is the substitutions we're seeing to change the game. Against Chelsea, Bruno ended up out on the right and ineffectual.

Against Arsenal and again tonight we completely lost our shape chasing the game. Rashford on the right, no real threat from wide areas. Putting Maguire up top but no delivery into the box, no service to Cavani and Martial.

TFM and Matic at CB, McTominay on the right wing. It's just chaos, and a sign to me that things are starting to fall apart. We've no plan B, and its killing us right now.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It feels exactly like Van Gaal's second season where I could barely be bothered to watch us at the moment. We are just too boring to watch; it is the same thing all the time.
Unfortunately I agree with you.
I thought Ole was a breath of fresh air when he first came in, but recently, we've looked to just knock the ball across the back four, into midfield, and back again.
When our two full backs actually attack the opponents defence, and get the ball into the box, we create chances, but it's much too infrequent. Our goal came from moving the ball quick, and getting a early cross in, AWB put in a four or five decent crosses, most to near post, one to Martial, whose shot was blocked, and another great dink into the far post, but no one took the gamble.
Not sure what Matic was doing for the first goal, and Mata took the wrong option for the second. I can only remember Henderson making one save all match.
AWB and Shaw were good, Tuanzebe was very unlucky to get pulled, unless he had an injury, he had a dodgy start, but looked better after the yellow. Maguire was ok, but still strolls too much for me, Matic was poor, no pace, gave the ball away far too often, VDB was very good, only gave the ball away a couple of times, but his first touch is so good, again unlucky too get pulled, especially as Pogba was atrocious when he came on.
Bruno gave the ball away a lot of but was closed down very quickly, and still our best creator. Mata never really got into the game, and was culpable for the second goal, looks so much better when central.
Martial looks good when he's on the ball, and closes quickly, but needs to be more mobile. Rashford very disappointing for me. McTominay did fine when he came on, would like to see him alongside VDB more often, gives that physical presence in midfield that Matic doesn't. Cavani never got enough service, would like to see both full backs getting that early cross in when he's playing.
Greenwood was pretty anonymous when he came on, Pogba a disaster. Fosu Mensah looked really good, a lot of pace, and held the back line on his own when we pushed everyone up.
I've always been pro Ole, but something needs to change. I would rather play Tuanzebe, Mengi, Fosu Mensah, VDB and give Cavani a start. Matic and Pogba need to go, but we really miss that right sided attacker.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
If we knew how to create chances in games like that, with more than just good bits of individual play; we would’ve created some chances.

We didn’t, and we don’t, and we really should by now.

Tapori

They should be made watch that match all the way home on the flight on repeat, and tomorrow, made watch it again and again and again, over and over. I'd go for something like the treatment from A Clockwork Orange.

Sit them all down, eyes pried open and force them to watch it over and over again, maybe that kind of sadistic treatment is called for as a punishment. I've seen u12s with more passion and desire to win than this lot.

Oh, and fine the whole lot a months wages too.
I fully endorse this.

tjb

If we knew how to create chances in games like that, with more than just good bits of individual play; we would’ve created some chances.

We didn’t, and we don’t, and we really should by now.
This is the concern

Tapori

Uniteds 3rd defeat in a row in Turkey having lost previously in 2012, 2016.

The manner of that defeat the biggest concern but it remains to be seen how damaging that result will be in this group

The two goals conceded was worse than U12 defending, could be stíll playing now and United wouldn't score the 2nd goal that was required to grab a draw. The lack of leadership on that United team showed once more. The Turks unlike United made themselves difficult to score against and former United player Rafael delivered the passion and intensity that was sadly missing in all of Uniteds players tonight.
Rafael was fantastic

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ole should be made to watch that match all the way home on the flight on repeat, and tomorrow, made to watch it again and again and again, over and over. I'd go for something like the treatment from A Clockwork Orange.

Sit him down, eyes pried open and force him to watch it over and over again, maybe that kind of sadistic treatment is called for as a punishment. I've seen u12s with more passion and desire to win than this lot.

Oh, and fine him a whole months wages too.
fixed

bondsname

I refuse to believe that our players are that bad, that we cannot win against Istanbul. It did not look like we were desperate to win tonight, we played like we were content and comfortable with our position, and played it safe so they wouldn't score another goal.

I stopped watching earlier tonight which I rarely do, and I feel like a shitty fan because of it, but I couldn't finish this. I knew we weren't going to win or draw for that matter. I could tell it was over before the 80th minute which is a horrible realisation, because once upon a time it was never over. Terrible, terrible, performance.

Judas

Open to offers
As much as I don't believe in Ole longterm, some of these players are quite frankly shit and don't deserve to play for this club, and somehow have managed to for far too long.

Enfant terrible

Utterly awful. We should not be this bad and this team should do better with the roster it has. I think they're all rotten from playing for utd. They've been living under a golden veil and have become useless. None of them have the capacity to take responsibility and push the team on the next level.

What has to happen for us to show some sort of consistency?

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Hope most here realizes that NOTHING will change with a new manager. These players are on purpose trying to sabotage our club. I cannot find a single other explanation for this kind of awful performance. No lack of tactics or whatever else explains it.

Man, i can't remember the last time i felt such almost hate towareds so many of our own players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You're almost sitting there in shock, watching it all unravel.

What's worrying for me is the substitutions we're seeing to change the game. Against Chelsea, Bruno ended up out on the right and ineffectual.

Against Arsenal and again tonight we completely lost our shape chasing the game. Rashford on the right, no real threat from wide areas. Putting Maguire up top but no delivery into the box, no service to Cavani and Martial.

TFM and Matic at CB, McTominay on the right wing. It's just chaos, and a sign to me that things are starting to fall apart. We've no plan B, and its killing us right now.
Yep. It wasn't until about 65mins I suddenly thought, we might lose this.
I reckon the players and certainly Ole were in complacency mode too. Ole was chuckling when asked about qualifying after 3 games pre game, not chuckling now!

poleglass red

for the longest time we vented about a lack of creativity in our midfield, tonight we had Mata, VDB, Bruno and Pogba on the pitch at different times and we created littleto nothing. Our movement and application tonight up front was poor as well. Martial and Rash standing around still isn't good enough. God forbid Poch comes in and implements his high press, those 2 players would need to drastically change their approaches.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hope most here realizes that NOTHING will change with a new manager. These players are on purpose trying to sabotage our club. I cannot find a single other explanation for this kind of awful performance. No lack of tactics or whatever else explains it.

Man, i can't remember the last time i felt such almost hate towareds so many of our own players.
People always take that angle.
But it's been different players this last 7 years.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Can't let it go on like this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Apparently its the first time this team has ever won in the CL. They have now against the mighty Manchester United. Thanks Ole.
In fairness they've surely only ever had 2 games in it in their history.
That's the group stages, obviously they qualified to get in it!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think I've ever seen defensive cover as badly structured as for Istanbul's first. That's something you expect from a team desperate to score with the last kick of the game, only they forgot to pull their keeper up. Where was Henderson anyway? If his defenders are pushed up so high he should probably be around the halfway line to sweep up balls like that.

Last edited:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah, I agree. For us it was VdB who looked composed and positive until he got subbed. Very impressed with him. A couple more players of his quality and we could actually play good football regardless of the manager.
Totally agree, one of the few bright spots in the match, so disappointed when Pogba came on for him, and Pogba did absolutely nothing, apart from fall over when tackled and give the ball away.

The Irish Connection

About sums us up alright: batter psg and Leipzig and lose to this crowd. We’re a good counter attacking underdog side but pure crap at breaking teams down with good attacking movement and possession.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I don't think I've ever seen defensive cover as badly structured as for Istanbul's first. That's something you expect from a team desperate to score with the last kick of the game, only they forgot to pull their keeper up. Where was de Gea anyway? If his defenders are pushed up so high he should probably be around the halfway line to sweep up balls like that.
I think he was on the bench.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Lack of leadership on the pitch, what are we paying Maguire for?

I had a angry walk and I couldn't stop thinking about why Maguire is the captain. He must do something other wordly in the dressingroom becasue on the pitch he's just not commanding.

Enfant terrible

As much as I don't believe in Ole longterm, some of these players are quite frankly shit and don't deserve to play for this club, and somehow have managed to for far too long.
I, on the other hand, have a strong belief in Ole, I think he's the only genuine part of this team I can identify with, but it seems we've lost the plot and I'm afraid Ole won't be able to manage and overcome this shitshow. The arsenal game stings really bad and today I hoped for a partial remedy. I can't stand losing to arsenal. If I was Ole, I would have drilled them in to the ground after that. This basakshekir game is irrelevant. I dont give a feck about cl. But this is indicative.

G-manc

What were Ole's quote after the game by the way.
I have no idea but on previous form i would guess it includes 'that's football for you', 'we know we have quality' and 'we have another game on saturday to look forward to'.

Devil may care

That was hot garbage, I mean the first goal is on Maguire and Matic, they are the senior CB and Holder back there and neither of them organized us or were aware of Ba left all alone. After that it was our usual inability to break down a team that sits in, and it can't be down to lack of creative players, they just don't look coached as an attacking unit, we just seem to be hoping for something out of the blue from one of our better forwards.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Istanbul Basaksehir win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Istanbul Basaksehir 0:2 Man Utd
  • 26% Istanbul Basaksehir 0:3 Man Utd