CL L Champions League Group H

Istanbul Basaksehir 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 04 November 2020

hubbuh

Did anyone have manage to hang on to watch the pressers? Wondering what was said from us postgame.

RedIan

Embarrassing school yard defending.. what was the game plan.. just couldnt see one. We were dire from front to back.
Just cant accept a performance like that. Instanbuls defence were well up for it, organised and aggressive. Ours was a joke.

Superunknown

That first goal is just horrible viewing. Has to be seen to be believed. It's something you would see in a children's game, not at the top level. I thought the performance was abysmal, disappointing and lifeless. Worst of all, there's just no heart or joy. You don't get the sense that the players are enjoying the game at the moment. Ole's impact from the sidelines during a game is missing. He may as well not be there during the games and stay in the changing rooms until halftime.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Rafael showed more urgency than any player has since he left. Should never have been sold.

always_hoping

Uniteds 3rd defeat in a row in Turkey having lost previously in 2012, 2016.

The manner of that defeat the biggest concern but it remains to be seen how damaging that result will be in this group

The two goals conceded was worse than U12 defending, could be stíll playing now and United wouldn't score the 2nd goal that was required to grab a draw. The lack of leadership on that United team showed once more. The Turks unlike United made themselves difficult to score against and former United player Rafael delivered the passion and intensity that was sadly missing in all of Uniteds players tonight.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That first goal is just horrible viewing. Has to be seen to be believed. It's something you would see in a children's game, not at the top level. I thought the performance was abysmal, disappointing and lifeless. Worst of all, there's just no heart or joy. You don't get the sense that the players are enjoying the game at the moment. Ole's impact from the sidelines during a game is missing. He may as well not be there during the games and stay in the changing rooms until halftime.
It was one of those open mouthed moments.

TheDoc

Absolutely disgusted by this effort. Our entire squad just goofing around completely uninvested. The other team got angry even when they lost a throw-in, our players didn't show a hint of urgency even after having conceded what's perhaps the dumbest goal of the century. Mentally, we've regressed back to where we were at the start of last season. Maybe worse even, as back then at least they tried but simply lacked the quality while as now our players simply can't be bothered to win.

Passing the ball around with no purpose, so much possession yet create nothing at all. No movement off the ball getting into danger areas, pointless sideways and backwards passes not even trying to get in on goal, mindless through-balls straight into a defender's feet and thoughtless dribbles into impossible areas. If your team has kept the ball for five minutes in the opposition half and not had a single shot at goal, not created one, not one dangerous situation, then you're just wanking about wasting everyone's time.

And Solskjær? Tactically not much can be said, lineup was as expected and we dominated play, yet reaped no reward whatsoever. What should be asked however, is why wasn't he absolutely furious? I'm starting to think there's something in this, that he's nice and sympathetic to a fault, way too forgiving and likable, too occupied with being everyone's friend, and that this will be his downfall. Any manager witnessing a display like that, should be at their players' throats immediately sinking their teeth into it hungry for blood.

But no. We were totally toothless today, again, with no fight in us whatsoever neither on nor off the pitch. I feel at this point, I should get paid more watching these games than our players do pretending to play them.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
An unforgivable defeat against a truly terrible opponent at this level. I dont really know what to think about this one, but for me there have been two occasions where I've started to think that change is inevitable. The first was the Burnley defeat. The second was tonight.

Let's be very clear at this point - because fans are going to want a scapegoat here - these players are letting us all down. Look at the ridiculous errors against Spurs. The Pogba brainfart on Saturday. That first goal tonight where not one player recognised the obvious danger. Its schoolboy stuff. These are player errors, and like Keane said, these players are about to get another manager sacked.

Having said that, there was no direction to our play tonight. No ideas. Perhaps Ole has lost the dressing room. I dont know. Its inexplicable that this much talent can fail to trouble a team this poor, one week after we beat Leipzig 5-0 and two weeks after we beat PSG with such a mature European performance.

There is no way that one person can be responsible for a situation where the gap between good performance and bad is so huge. Something stinks within this club. Something is not right. It will cost Ole his job soon I feel, but it wont fix whatever the feck is going on with this group of players.
Yeah. Our lack of consistency is bizarre at this point, and we naturally look at Ole and the coaches as they are the common factor between this Jekyll and Hyde routine, but some of these errors this season have been disgusting to witness from professional players, never mind players representing United.

Al-T

Can't even muster the enthusiasm to be pissed off any longer.

TheNextNo7

Back to square 1 since the day fergie left, id be ashamed to manage this group of players, i could count how many id keep on 1 hand, also an attacking diamond with how bad our wing backs are going forward = receipe for disaster. its criminal how poor Luke Shaw is in quality and effort. maybe Mourinho shouldnt have been chastized about his regard for him

Coops73

feck sake, where to start.

VDB for me was one of our better players, why take him off? Bruno, shocking, Shaws defending for the 2nd goal shocking even though he was one of the better players, Martials movement shocking, defending for the first goal was embarrassing, Matics passing was so poor, I was surprised he stayed on, Mata looked his age, unlike Ba.

I’m agog, the death knell is ringing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm absolutely sick of how clueless we look in the majority of games. Slow aimless passing, very little variety in our build-up with constant balls into the feet of attackers back to goal, trying to thread the eye of a needle in the middle and fecking it up every time, in wide areas we can't/won't overload and so players are left to either fail a take-on or play it backwards or sideways. Our transitions are glacial; the amount of times the ball breaks and a player is holding onto it or pissing about passing around the backline until the opposition get back into shape. We're meant to be a fecking counter-attacking team.

Our defending at times would make schoolboys blush, no exaggeration. The first goal was disgusting organisation and throughout the match we looked terrified of their players marauding towards the back four or bamboozling us with moderately slick passing play (Ba did some good link-up play and a nice dummy for their second).

More odd subs, very little idea of how to change the game and inject a bit of fecking energy into our play and ultimately it's a pretty comfortable win for them, their first ever in this competition.

When even a draw would have been useful we put in that hideous performance. Utter shite and very worrying.
I was about to write something similar but you seem to have covered pretty much everything.

Depressing.

UmbroDays

Throw on all your attackers, lump it up to them and hope...

Man United tactics in the second half of a Champions League game. Embarrassing.
The game finished with McT on the rightwing.

Let’s you know how clueless Ole is.

Tapori

Defensive errors down to players.
Poor attacking play on coaching.

Simply tell the midfielders to look for the runs. Every sideways pass should be a fine! ;)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Imagine whistling for 90 minutes just so you can continue to be bottom of the group.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You really need to look at a still image of that first goal just to see how embarrassingly bad it was, it would've been bad enough in the 95th minute losing 1-0 but at 0-0 in the 12th minute we do not have even 1 player close to Ba. :houllier:
The 2nd was woeful as well and were so poor on the ball as well.

TommiHelm

Sad day. Like I said in the match thread. If I was a Basaksehir fan, with 10 minutes to go, 2-1 up against Manchester United. I would expect to be biting my nails. But I'm pretty sure all of their fans felt completely confident they'd be getting the 3 points at that time.

Considering the quality of the opposition (having seen them against RBL and PSG), this has to be one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Manchester United team.

New formation, new style of play, new players, every damn match. No stability, no sign of a philosophy that can transfer between formations. No wonder the players don't look like they believe in this.

The players are better than this, much better.

Stacks

I don't understand this team. A few months ago we were on a nice purple patch had a short break and come back and now we are shit just like that. We are not a team that should lose so frequently and so beatable just because we didn't sign Sancho. Players not performing manager not performing we have good players in there but they either ain't being set up or not motivated atm

Orestetes

I am beyond dissapointed in the team.

This is one of the games where you are supposed to show up, don't feck up, and collect 3 points. Instead we give the game away by awarding a goal following what is one of the most horrendous communication errors I've witnessed in professional football.

Not one single player had a good game, or even a acceptable game outside of Henderson. No one are forgiven. Donate your fecking week wages to the Manchester Childrens Hospital and take a bus home.
Henderson? He looked average on both goals. I'm not convinced by this game he's an upgrade on Romero, never mind De Gea.

dal

Okay that was bad - Thing is, going away in Europe is always difficult but that first goal seriously reminded me of forest gump, truly other worldly.

He should get the whole season and rightly so but we need to win the Everton game and the odds of that happening now are slim.

He’s dealt with challenges well in his time in here and if you told me 6 points from the first 3 champion league games I’d be happy.

Grealish would have been useful tonight.

I do feel there’s a lot of short memories on this forum.

Comeon baby face turn it around lad.

DickDastardly

It's a miracle any young humans keen on football can stand us. So often we put in those sorts of performances which are a genuine disgrace to the club. Slightly over the top but that's really fecked me off.
He's not really watching. He's just spending time with me.

Actually makes it even worse come to think of it.

The lenghts we all go and the shit we get served.

AndyMUFC

Such a predictable performance.

Horrific defending for their two goals and our plan to get back into the second half turned into throw every attacker we can onto the pitch and hope for the best. Absolutely no width whatsoever, we're desperate for someone like Telles in games like this.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Henderson? He looked average on both goals. I'm not convinced by this game he's an upgrade on Romero, never mind De Gea.
They're the sort of goals that you can't blame the keeper for conceding and they'd be a hero for stopping.

man united 4eva

I cannot see Ole making it past derby day on the 12th of the 12th.. He has no passion and drive.. nor do any of the coaching staff.. not to mention the majority of the players.. I'm so fecking pissed off right now.. :keano::mad:

Giggzy P

Ole is slowly turning into moyes. Keane was right, these players will throw any manager under the bus.
We are a joke at the minute, on and off the field.
I think the manager is throwing himself under the bus. As much as the Players look disinterested, the Manager doesn't show any sort of urgency himself. We always start our Games slow, and Ole is sat there on his Ipad.
Today's Match was absolutely shocking; it was first annoying but when the subs were made, it became funny because it seemed Ole was taking the piss and had written the match off, I mean bringing Scott, especially after his last performance against Arsenal, Matic to play as a CB , when we chancing a game, Mensah later, there is no way he could have thought with those changes, we would win.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Istanbul Basaksehir win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Istanbul Basaksehir 0:2 Man Utd
  • 26% Istanbul Basaksehir 0:3 Man Utd