EL W Europa League Round of 16 - 1st Leg

LASK 0:5 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 12 March 2020

T-R-A-W

We just hung 5 on the team that won the Austrian Bundesliga's regular season by 6 points. And kept a clean sheet. In their house. Sort of. I mean, it was kinda like sneaking in while everyone's gone to work and cleaning them out. A 5-0 smash-n-grab? :lol:

That was fun. Rested more players, the defense wasn't pushed hardly at all. 5 freaking goals... 5 different scorers... Put the U23's in front of Romero for the return leg.
Or in front of my granda. Not sure it would matter. Job done!

GazTheLegend

Ighalo's goal is one of the best I've ever seen in my entire life

Where the hell has this prime Yeboah regen come from he's been a revelation

Besides that he had a Stormer of a game and brought other players in every time he got the ball

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I’m going to be controversial.

These Yeboah comparisons are only because he’s black African;)

Lee565

Talk about bittersweet, a Very impressive victory away from home and without having to field a full strength side against a side that may have possibly been tricky but it might not even matter with it looking more and more like the season will be written off.

David Bartley

Ighalo goal a real cracker. Lovely technique. I seem to remember some posters had been questioning his first touch - shades of Lukaku - but I hope that was just him being rusty. He gives us a different option from Tony and Marcus, great signing ... so far. Bruno great again.

BestRed

Great result that away from home, becoming a bit of a habit all these clean sheets.

David Bartley

I’m going to be controversial.

These Yeboah comparisons are only because he’s black African;)
That is controversial, and I don't think it is accurate. I think honestly it was more the way he teed himself up for the shot, slightly reminiscent of TY's great goal for the hated Leeds. We've had some great and much loved black strikers here at OT - I do not believe we are racists, as you imply.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That is controversial, and I don't think it is accurate. I think honestly it was more the way he teed himself up for the shot, slightly reminiscent of TY's great goal for the hated Leeds. We've had some great and much loved black strikers here at OT - I do not believe we are racists, as you imply.
Knew someone would be triggered :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Perfect night really. Rested a few. 2nd leg redundant and pleased that Ighalo, James & Greenwood got goals.

Who knows what the rest of the season is going to look like, but the team are in really good shape. 11 unbeaten, 9 clean sheets and (I think) 29 scored in that run?

Bulldog United

Well this was a very enjoyable way to end the season. We really are playing some good football now, and we look like a team all pulling in the same direction. It's regrettable that the football has to come an end now, and the Premier League season must be declared null and void, but public safety must come first.

I genuinely believe, with a few more quality additions, we will be in the race next season to keep Liverpool on 0 Premier League titles.

Hughie77

Great result, great score line, I think the crowdless game affected them more than it did us. Shame realy it should have been a night for the fans . Ingalo again great goal. And Matas was.

Okey

This corona apocalypse couldn't have come at a worse time for us. Such a shame. Amazing performance that. Has to rank as one of our best ever away in Europe. We should be able to give the U23s a run out if the second leg gets played. A couple old heads on the pitch and an experienced bench in case it starts going tits up

Devil may care

Rubbed a sweaty groin up and down their nostrils as we should, dominated from start to finish and bagged 2 in the 3 minutes added on, clinical and so promising.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

Who were these people and why was that dude allowed to smoke. Seemed proper guilty when he spotted the cameras on him.
I like how he doesn't give a feck. 2 minutes from the end of the game, too :lol: .

Farfetched

Watching the game I did wonder if we had turned up at the right stadium and were playing the correct opponents. The teams performance made a mockery of the prematch briefing about Lask. We were told that they were a very good side with some impressive results this season and they would trouble us at set pieces. However, they seem to overhit or misplaced most balls, they huffed and puffed a bit but that’s about it! A game which provided some sublime passes, five goals and room for improvement puts us on the right path, well done Ole and the lads.

dalriada

Well that was fun :D

Good all round performance and result to match. So many positives and not many negatives from that. Play the kids in the 2nd leg (that’s if it unlikely goes ahead of course).

On a side note, football with no fans is so soulless.
Great match to watch for the result and the goals, but awful to watch for the total lack of atmosphere. You would never want to see this on more than the odd occasion, although sadly we're likely to see more of it.
It's like watching some of the reserve games at Leigh Sports Village.

LASK looked as if they really didn't believe they could go any further, which is surprising considering how far they've got in the competition. I think the whole virus business and the lack of a home crowd just killed it for them.

Still a good performance by us, though, and unexpectedly easy.

Reactions: Sultan

theklr

Good game. Shame they're probably just going to bin the whole competition. Just hand the trophy out now and give it to, oh I don't know, the team that scored the most away goals in the round of 16?
We also are the highest rated team (by Uefa standards) in that competition, believe it or not.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Superb tonight. Can’t remember the last time United were so convincing in consecutive games.

Hopefully the lads and the club show the most professional commitment possible in ensuring the lowest possible exposure to the virus off the field and limiting the number of players needing to isolate until the end of the season. Maybe the games will be postponed, maybe not, but we need to be ready as much as we can.

Kinda forgot about the crowd after 30 minutes.

Fitchett

A really good, solid, professional performance again tonight. The last 11 games have been a great run.

ICHM

Got to be the easiest match of the season, they were pants.

We played OK, but they allowed us so much space and their goalie was terrible.

Djemba-Djemba

Looking increasingly likely that's the last Utd game for a long time.

With the recent run of form at least we've gone out in style.

Dante

Average bang
Great match to watch for the result and the goals, but awful to watch for the total lack of atmosphere. You would never want to see this on more than the odd occasion, although sadly we're likely to see more of it.
It's like watching some of the reserve games at Leigh Sports Village.

LASK looked as if they really didn't believe they could go any further, which is surprising considering how far they've got in the competition. I think the whole virus business and the lack of a home crowd just killed it for them.

Still a good performance by us, though, and unexpectedly easy.
Yeah. I think it's worse for a team to play in an empty home stadium than an empty away stadium. For them, it would have felt alien. For us, we really don't know any better about the place.

A venue that should have been an advantage for LASK turned out to be an advantage for United. Sucks to be them.

cyril C

Their attacking players were some threat, Shaw was caught out of position once or twice. But they decided to suicide in the last 5min then thank you.

Man of the Match

Odion Ighalo image Odion Ighalo 55% of 222 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 207 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • LASK win
  • Draw