PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Leeds United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 08 February 2023

croadyman

Just like Palace we blow another chance to get within 5/6 of Arsenal. The drop off from Casa & Eriksen is HUGE.

RedDevilQuebecois

Good thing that we fought our way back with substitutions that were spot on, but I have to focus on the main negatives within the team today.
  • Weghorst... I have seen bad strikers in my lifetime, but seeing someone that is not capable of doing the basics right is infuriating. He should not start matches if he can't make the Ds on the other side work.
  • Fred... That was one of his worst performances as a Manchester United player. He played as if he did not learn a single thing under Ten Hag. I was honestly tempted to replace him with Mainoo during the match.
  • Garnacho... His decision-making was just horrible when it mattered. I know that he's still young, but he did not make a good case for himself today. I thought he's a leftie, no? Shoot with the left!
  • Dalot... First game since a long injury layoff. I know there's the concept of getting him back to full game fitness, but I disagree with the idea of playing this long on his return. It showed that he was vulnerable defensively today. A case of asking too much too soon.
To tell you the truth, none of those aforementioned names should start on Sunday. They can try their luck as substitutes, but it's a big "no" when it comes to starting matches. We have to crush that lot at all costs on Sunday.

pablo__p

My first game at Old Trafford and I must say that Lisandro plays in a league of his own. He's incredible.

Shaw in the 2nd half was very good too.

Sancho changed the game.

Rashford on the right makes little sense, so does Wout in general. He's too slow and we don't cross much to try to make use of his size.

Garnacho disappointing, Pellestri seems lightweight.

Sabitzer decent and Fred/Dalot unacceptable.

croadyman

Why in the feck do we not play with the intensity of between our first and second goal from the start?

Threw it away at the start of both halves.
Yeah shite start to halves cost us two points,need to bloody well wake up a bit earlier

NZT-One

Leeds caught us cold today. They were really really up for it and having no Casemiro nor McTominay showed. Dalot was back in all his averageness, don't get warm to the guy. He is better with AWB with the ball, no doubt about it, but is he that much better to balance out his defensive disadvantage? 1st half today certainly not, got better in the 2nd. Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho and Wout were terrible in 1st half as well. Sure, they were feeding of scraps to a degree but their decision making was bad throughout. Fred and Sabitzer lost the physical battle in the middle, but they were up against 4-5 players most of the time and Bruno being a non-entity didn't really help. CBs were very good.
2nd half Leeds was tiring which, together with introduction of Sancho, initiated a little life into the team, which stabilized and became more dangerous. Think the result is more than fair, it was a good watch most of the time.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Good thing that we fought our way back with substitutions that were spot on, but I have to focus on the main negatives within the team today.
  • Weghorst... I have seen bad strikers in my lifetime, but seeing someone that is not capable of doing the basics right is infuriating. He should not start matches if he can't make the Ds on the other side work.
  • Fred... That was one of his worst performances as a Manchester United player. He played as if he did not learn a single thing under Ten Hag. I was honestly tempted to replace him with Mainoo during the match.
  • Garnacho... His decision-making was just horrible when it mattered. I know that he's still young, but he did not make a good case for himself today. I thought he's a leftie, no? Shoot with the left!
  • Dalot... First game since a long injury layoff. I know there's the concept of getting him back to full game fitness, but I disagree with the idea of playing this long on his return. It showed that he was vulnerable defensively today. A case of asking too much too soon.
To tell you the truth, none of those aforementioned names should start on Sunday. They can try their luck as substitutes, but it's a big "no" when it comes to starting matches. We have to crush that lot at all costs on Sunday.
Garnacho I thought was OK, I was just baffled why he's starting on the left over a player who's got nearly 20 goals in half a season. A league game with our midfield already missing is not the time to deliberately nullify our best attacking player with some kind of pointless experiment.

The others I agree with. Dalot in particular should never have started. Fred and Weghorst you can argue a lack of available alternative. Dalot not only did we have alternatives but he was SO off the pace he should have been taken off by about 20 minutes regardless of who came on in his place.

I wasn't impressed at all with Sabitzer either. It's only one game but first half in particular, there were constantly balls in behind on to our forwards, and him and Fred picked out precisely 0 between them. If he's meant to be an Eriksen stand in that was a spectacularly failed audition as Eriksen would have picked out someone every single time as a routine amd we'd have ended up comfortably winning the game I reckon. Sabitzer 90% of the time wasn't even in the right position to receive the pass in the first place. He was just outshone by Fred who wasn't only not in the right position, but often seemed to have disappeared off the pitch/screen entirely.

Cantonagotmehere

The game was jinxed from the start with all the Armas bashing...

So happy for Sancho!!

Was Dalot drunk? He gets a pass after a great season so far, but he was not even closing down as a defender. It was the 2 years ago Dalot.

Onward and upward, just a bad day.

lonelyred

I believe Garnacho is right footed. Not saying that he should not be capable of hitting the open net with his left.

Pscholes18

Shite performance, lucky to get a draw...no build up play at all...just cross after cross, hoofing it up to Rashford every chance they got. The mentality these players have is awful...they came in thinking they were going to stroll right through Leeds. Lucky to get a point.

croadyman

Fecked right off because we had 20 mins plus stoppage time to find winner and didn't do it. I wouldn't mind if that goal was scored in stoppage time but wasn't.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I expected us to drop points in this one. Top 4 isn’t a done deal.

mancsarered

Shite performance, lucky to get a draw...no build up play at all...just cross after cross, hoofing it up to Rashford every chance they got. The mentality these players have is awful...they came in thinking they were going to stroll right through Leeds. Lucky to get a point.
We came back from 2-0 and your takeaway is a weak mentality? Our team has no depth; the second we lose a member of the manager's preferred XI, we struggle. That's the issue.

Stig

Great game. There's only so many first team players you can miss before it gets difficult, and that point was reached tonight. Antony, Eriksen, Casemiro and Martial were all sorely missed. Not that their replacements Garnacho, Sabitzer or Weghorst did all that bad but one is a youngster and the others loanies. Fred... I respect him for not giving up. He kept on going and fixed some of his own awful mistakes. But he was not feeling it tonight at all. If there was any half decent replacement he would've been off at half time.

Ten Hag has an interesting hand of substitutions. Taking of Sabitzer and Dalot communicates that he never loses sight of the long term. It's vital for us that these two players remain fit, more so than winning or even drawing this one game. That said, not making any substitution at half time might've invited the second goal. Hard to say in the end, and even harder to say beforehand.

Sancho did everything right. Clever, assured, creative. Great to have him back.

Balanced post.

Get In Scholesy

Shit start, good finish. Wish we scored early and put the game to bed but it was the complete opposite, which doesn’t help given our hectic fixture schedule. However, that being said the poor start is probably due to the hectic schedule, players are doing what they can but it’s just not sustainable.
Unfortunately, we have to weather the storm for the rest of the season.. or at least for the next 6-8 weeks.

Stig

I loved it!

Yeah United made mistakes, a few key players missing in midfield made it difficult for United to play their usual style...but it was pure excitement!

Second leg at the weekend.

You need to try and enjoy watching the team...far to many worry about who is to blame or what the xG was...just enjoy the ride.
Top post.

Jezpeza

We remain a work in progress. Rashford is wasted on the right. Not sure Dalot is the answer long term at right back. The drop off in the way we play without Casemiro and Eriksen is horrid and theres nobody to play to give Bruno a rest. Not sure what Weghorst offers but am sure se have a good plan for the summer in terms of the right striker for the team.

Suedesi

Such doom and gloom in this thread. I thought we dominated and put them under immense pressure, but lack of composure in the final third and some lapses in concentration led to their two goals.

We're missing 4 starers in Casemiro, Eriksen, Antony and Martial - and despite them ten Hag is making it work. We can beat these clowns at Elland Road.

Alek M

Da manic one
Fred doesn’t have the iq to perform at high intensity games in tight spaces. Wasteful.

Shaw was outstanding tonight.

Loved the fact that we had several good chances to win this. The belief and fight is there. It’s a learning lesson for the core of the players.

Varane almost had a winner, Bruno too. Fred as well.

Sabitzer was below par.

We will batter them 3-0 on Sunday

RedBanker

I love you Ole
This team probably thought 6points in the bag before a ball was kicked. Now watch them getting 1 point from this double header. Weghorst is worse than Manucho.

Stig

Match Stats
  1. Man Utd
  2. Leeds United
Possession 66% 34%
Shots 24 8
Shots on Target 7 2

For those entering a deep depression and never wanting to half the team again.

The stays show that we were by far the better team.

It was just one of those nights and we missed key players.

Strelok

Bruno created a lot of chances today. On the ball he wasn't wasteful, he was constantly trying to push the team forward. I get that some people don't like him here, but he's consistently creating chances for us and imo playing well.
Agree I didn't watch the match but watching the highlights he must have created like 5,6 scoring chances. And all very good chances I'd say. He should at least had one assist if our finishing wasn't that bad. Especially the ones with Garnacho.

People will focus on his mistake which lead to the first goal but tbh imo it's rather us missing Casemiro. Of course it's all hypothetical but imo if we had Case the first goal didn't happen. He's so class in sniffing out the danger in situations like that. I'm still so gutted about his ridiculous red card and three matches ban. We really missed him today.

croadyman

Good comeback in fairness but feck me what were we doing at the start of both halves. Also why is Weghorst starting games for us
Because Martial is made of weetabix and Rashford is generally better off the left,however carried a threat down the middle when Jadon came on

croadyman

Fred has a bad foot and a worse foot. Not sure which is which.

feck the Glazers. We should have had Felix as an option instead of that useless static lump of a Burnely striker. But people were telling me how his loan was too expensive.

Another thing that's not been mentioned about our sluggish start to both halves today. We played almost 40 minutes with a man down against the Palace cnuts and we know our players were already tired. Leeds just caught us cold but this is what happens when you have no depth.
Sadly Glazers didn't want to pay fee

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Fred should be banned from dressing room for a week, as punishment.:mad:

AFC NimbleThumb

Dropping points across one of these games felt inevitable. We could have ideally done with Spurs losing to Citeh on Sunday.

justsomebloke

He has good balance on the ball. He's actually difficult to get off the ball and is quite direct. He's like an old school winger and with that balance and agility could be very dangerous if strength and decision making come along.

Out of all of them, Amad is the one i'm excited about though. He's the one I can see pushing Antony.
Yeah, it will be really interesting to see what Amad can add to the squad next season. Hope you're right about Pellistri.

OlsensHummelBoots

There's some proper hysterics on display, here.

Ten Hags United are no where near the finished article and players he's inherited didn't perform at the necessary standard. It's going to happen. Let's have some perspective here, United are further along putting a team together than we were this time in any of the 5 previous seasons.

Thought the lads showed resilience, character and effort even if the quality of some was crap.

Last edited:

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 263 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Leeds United