PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 December 2017

Kostur

海尔的老板
Closer to the top team in terms of points
So you yourself claim that it usually would closer to the top yet come to a conclusion that Jose has to go because we aren't?

It's an incredible kind of logic you're using but please enlighten me then. How's City's freak season in terms in points gained/goals scored relevant then? Because I'm sure that in your torrents of thoughts you've factored in that 'normal season' the top team doesn't have as many points as City do now?

Kostur

海尔的老板
I've actually watched the highlights now too, it's fecking appalling how we've lost the game yesterday on all fronts if you ask me. Rashford, Lingard and Martial all missing chances that have to be converted, for the first goal why is it only Smalling that is sprinting back for the ball? He's staying with Mahrez but he's got Young, Matić and Jones behind him who must see Vardy who's chasing for that ball and neither of them is doing the same, it's a classic Leicester goal.

Then the last blow, what the feck was Smalling thinking with leaving that ball there at that time of the game? He can head it away if he doesn't for some magical reason fecking stop there for a second. Jesus. Our players are just fecking thick.

iportman

Calm down.
I am calm , but perhaps you co
....and in the meantime Harry Kane continues to bang them in for fun.

So much for "play the kids", the way things are at the moment, I would gladly sell Lingard, Rashford and Martial in exchange for Kane.
how many do you think the great harry kane would score in this utd attack/ supply , answer not a lot .Kane has to be the worlds most overated player if he was that good he would be at some top club . We have players like lukaku and martial who can score if they get service anything close to what Kane gets at spurs

Jaap

It takes longer than 2,5 years to fix a broken squad. We’re 2nd in the league so it’s not like he hasn’t improved us. Only Pep inherited a much better squad and has spent more so it makes sense for City to be where they are right now. I expect Mou to catch up next season.
I find the term broken squad a little too weak to justify him not having us playing better football.

I could compare Pep‘s & José‘s inherited squads but I‘ll pass as I‘m pretty sure they are/were equally talented.

It is not always about recruitment as well - some of our players can hardly play a simple pass.

LInkash

I'm thought the game was encouraging and I wasn't too downhearted as we're not going to win the league anyway. We played quite well but we just needed to be a bit more clinical.

The first goal we conceded was the kind of error which can be ironed out. Second was because we got a bit unlucky with the Smalling injury. Perhaps it wasn't a great idea to keep him on in that state but hindsight and all that.

Spaniel

Can't believe some of the criticism of Lukaku in this thread. I aren't his greatest fan but he created chances for his team mates that should have been taken. The two who deserve the real flak are Mouriniho who failed to do what he is paid for...manage the Smalling incident. The other is Rashford. Just plain ball greedy. I don't buy into the "he is young and will learn" bullshit. Doesn't matter how old you are, that ball he should have played to Lukaku was blindingly obvious. He chose not to, rather try and grab the glory himself. Totally unacceptable behavior in a team game. The lad wants dropping.

Bestietom

Have to say, I was expecting it. Why oh Why to we sit back on a lead. We were streets ahead when we were attacking them. Mourinho must change his philosophy quickly or there will be no extension to his contract. Bad timing and bad substitutions lost us this game.

Martial was the only one holding and running with the ball. He was the one who was getting us all the free kicks, and would have won us this game.

Wilt

I am calm , but perhaps you co

how many do you think the great harry kane would score in this utd attack/ supply , answer not a lot .Kane has to be the worlds most overated player if he was that good he would be at some top club . We have players like lukaku and martial who can score if they get service anything close to what Kane gets at spurs
Sometimes I find posts too daft to respond to .....however

Kane is world class, could the same be said about Lukaku or Martial? ....I think not

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Get used to these sorts of results and performances, lads. The league is gone and they wouldn’t be human if the motivation and concentration didn’t drop at times, too.

wolvored

I guess you expect a huge meltdown but it won't happen.
No I'm just being 'pragmatic' lol. No seriously I have thought we are going to do this and that in the past. I bet £10 we would win the league this year and I bet we would win the Champions league once in the next 5 years after we lost to Barca in 2009 for example, so never count my chickens now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Not sure what play Smalling is supposed to make here. Mahrez beats him to the ball and sees that Smalling is gonna be in front of him and hits it behind and takes control. If Smalling attempts to make a tackle he's taking the risk Mahrez dribbles him and has a 1v1. He's expecting Jones to catch Vardy but he doesn't. Saying that, he probably could have attempted to stick a leg out with the pass to Vardy but I don't know why he didn't there. Fear of a deflection?Not sure.
Look this is classic situation what would united level defender do vs average defender. From average defender you expect that. Get back, don't get beat by attacker and that is that. But we are man utd, club that aim for awards. It is the same thing in any position. Average winger will cover space and cross the ball. From united winger you expect to beat a man, score, assist, etc...
So i expect from united central defender to react better in that situation. To read a game. He clearly can see that vardy is coming and that mahrez will pass the ball so he just must stop that. He should and could put pressure on mahrez.

ZAGREB RED

Beyond pathetic. That equaliser had to come, saw it a million miles off after missing a few chances at 2-1 up. No excuses.
On a more positive note, Lukaku played very well yesterday and Mata showed his class.
All about second place now.

sugar_kane

Not been more fuming over a result in a long while. Absolutely disgusting decision making up front and ludicrous in game management at the end.

Mourinho can blame the players for what happened at the end (and they are to blame) but what did he do to resolve the situation? Smelling shouldn’t have even been on the pitch if he was incapable of even basic tasks.

Feel like I might need a break from watching United for a couple of weeks.

ZAGREB RED

Not been more fuming over a result in a long while. Absolutely disgusting decision making up front and ludicrous in game management at the end.

Mourinho can blame the players for what happened at the end (and they are to blame) but what did he do to resolve the situation? Smelling shouldn’t have even been on the pitch if he was incapable of even basic tasks.

Gary Neville nailed it - but it was blindingly obvious in any case - Smalling either had to go off with the team re-organised or leave him standing up front on the half way line with Lukaku dropping back. Schoolboy stuff.

Rajma

This one is difficult take, isn't it? Haven't felt similarly for a while now but I guess it shows the progress we've made.

Judas

Open to offers
Get used to these sorts of results and performances, lads. The league is gone and they wouldn’t be human if the motivation and concentration didn’t drop at times, too.
Yeah can't help but think this is part of it, and it's only natural. Some will say its almost unprofessional, but they're only human. Hard to stay motivated at a time like this.

I must admit my anger over the result hasn't been as bad because the title is gone, plus our tactics when ahead have meant results like this were bound to happen.

Peanut Butter

We're a damn good side at times but make mistakes.

Second in the league. 3 points ahead of 3rd and with a superior GD.

We're doing just fine.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Definitely not. It isn’t Mourinho’s fault. He inherited a terrible squad.
He did but he's spent a few quid. I think his negative mentality does seep through to the players . Ive just seen two pictures from last nights match. In the 92nd minute you have the ball on the left. One pass and you have two free players against the keeper. Uour player decided to play safe and youse lost possession and they equalise. Iam not saying Jose told his player to pass the ball back but his mentality may have contributed .

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Jose should have been on the touch line shouting and organising it was clear for a few minutes smalling had a problem.
But someone in the back 4 should have been taking charge too. Just fecking grab someone and tell them to sit in.
Very very amateurish all round.....
By media accounts, Jose did give orders and players (Herrera?) changed them? (Caveat, "media accounts").

I played decent Sunday League/regional... we didn't need a manager to tell us to defend/get organised.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Jose should have been on the touch line shouting and organising it was clear for a few minutes smalling had a problem.
But someone in the back 4 should have been taking charge too. Just fecking grab someone and tell them to sit in.
Very very amateurish all round.....
After just replying, saw this thread which covers exact point.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-jones-herrera-smalling-incident-immaturity.434836/

As with most threads, various views but as one post says.... "They're grown ass men who have played football all their lives, if they seriously can't reorganize the defense without looking at the bench or disagreeing with each other there is some serious problems.

In Sunday fecking league a CB goes forward (albeit rarely) and straight away the other CB gets someone to fill in. And these guys are professionals? ffs."

Again, don't know truth (will we ever?) but that's what Id have thought was expected. I'd have also thought professional footballers could fecking hold on to a ball and not give it up so many times in the last few minutes?

Tactics, Herrera (maybe), possession, mental intelligence (Rashford), organisation, etc .... all poor and worrying. I'd rather watch 7/10 players who give 100% than so called talent who don't

AndyJ1985

Lindelof must be one of the most pointless signings ever. We'd be no worse without him, but if we'd spent his transfer fee on a RW or CM we'd be better off. We badly need to strengthen our attacking options.

Alabaster Codify7

Didnt watch this one, was out. I was checking my phone every now and again, wasn't exactly surprised to be honest when I saw the final score. Shit start to the Xmas period, so typical of us to squander the chance to create a bigger gap between us and third. Ah well, I don't even view this as a 20-team league anymore, it's a 19-team league with a few teams challenging for 'top spot'. Onto the next one I guess.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
So you yourself claim that it usually would closer to the top yet come to a conclusion that Jose has to go because we aren't?

It's an incredible kind of logic you're using but please enlighten me then. How's City's freak season in terms in points gained/goals scored relevant then? Because I'm sure that in your torrents of thoughts you've factored in that 'normal season' the top team doesn't have as many points as City do now?
He has to go because the football is shit

desmondisback

Jose gets a lot of stick on here, but no one can argue with anything he has said here. 100% correct in every way and I'm glad he publicly berated his team, they deserve it.
As someone who wants to see Jose go for all sorts of reasons I have to admit that we played some good counter attacking stuff at Leicester. It wasn't hoofball. I would like to see more of this in big games , but I fear that I won't.

Yes , we were unlucky and yes Jose can't be blamed for lack of clinical finishing.

What I would say is this. Just before their equaliser Smalling was coming back on to the pitch after receiving treatment. Everyone could see he was really not much more than a passenger. Everyone could see that Leicester were trying to find McGuire in the box with long crosses. Smalling was not in a fit state to pick up anyone. The obvious solution was to get Matic / Pogba /Jones to pick up their big men (maybe put Matic directly on McGuire to man mark? ) and leave Smalling out of it.

Did Mourinho attempt to get a message on to the pitch? Did he try to tell Smalling to get Matic to mark McGuire? I didn't see any of this. Did I miss something? So how come that Smalling is left in that crucial position and McGuire left alone?

I thought that Mourinho was a defensive coach and a genius at it? I feel blaming the players 100% for this is not on. Why was he not shouting from the touch line to get a message on to the pitch?

JohnnyKills

Believe me it's not just about winning the league or not, yes logically the league was over the time we lost to City but dropping points like these lot oh Come on that's fecking un acceptable and it will not be strange if after another couple of games we will see our selves fighting for top four AGAIN! Today was un believable and totally un acceptable, some players should be benched after this untill they are off. Oh God I don't want be so dramatic but I am real sad about my club.
Don't worry mate, it happens to every club now and again. JM will have given them the hairdryer and we'll be more ruthless next time.

laughtersassassin

If we are not careful we may end up in a fight for top 4 and with our current players i would not be 100% they have the confidence not to drop stupid points.

Im beating a dead horse but with our current team and injuries building investing in January is a must. We need to wrap up second and work on closing the gap to city in terms of quality if not points.

mav_9me

Have to say, I was expecting it. Why oh Why to we sit back on a lead. We were streets ahead when we were attacking them. Mourinho must change his philosophy quickly or there will be no extension to his contract. Bad timing and bad substitutions lost us this game.

Martial was the only one holding and running with the ball. He was the one who was getting us all the free kicks, and would have won us this game.
Look back to end of Nov with Watford. Since then every game has been us hanging on at the end on to a 1 goal lead (we did make it 4-2 Vs Watford). Vs west Brom, Vs Bournemouth, It's been coming.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
As someone who wants to see Jose go for all sorts of reasons I have to admit that we played some good counter attacking stuff at Leicester. It wasn't hoofball. I would like to see more of this in big games , but I fear that I won't.

Yes , we were unlucky and yes Jose can't be blamed for lack of clinical finishing.

What I would say is this. Just before their equaliser Smalling was coming back on to the pitch after receiving treatment. Everyone could see he was really not much more than a passenger. Everyone could see that Leicester were trying to find McGuire in the box with long crosses. Smalling was not in a fit state to pick up anyone. The obvious solution was to get Matic / Pogba /Jones to pick up their big men (maybe put Matic directly on McGuire to man mark? ) and leave Smalling out of it.

Did Mourinho attempt to get a message on to the pitch? Did he try to tell Smalling to get Matic to mark McGuire? I didn't see any of this. Did I miss something? So how come that Smalling is left in that crucial position and McGuire left alone?

I thought that Mourinho was a defensive coach and a genius at it? I feel blaming the players 100% for this is not on. Why was he not shouting from the touch line to get a message on to the pitch?
Jose isn't the type of manager to jump up and down on the sidelines barking orders willy nilly during the game. He would have outlined the match tactics to each and every individual before the game began and expect his players to be proactive when the situation requires it, they cannot expect their manager to hold their hands on the pitch - they must take responsibility for their own actions.

A good captain would be useful, one with experience and knowledge of the game. One who is unafraid to make decisions and take control of the situation. I feel our current team lack this in a huge way. We haven't had a proper on the field leader since Vidic departed and I think this problem is bigger than we realise.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Having watched Leicester quite a lot in the past couple of years, gotta say that Albrighton, as unspectacular as he is, certainly rises to the occasion. It's not the first time I've seen him deliver that super-cross or pass into the box at a crucial moment in time.

Also, the more I see Harry Maguire play, the more I tell myself that the scouts in the PL or amongst big big clubs ain't shit. It's so obvious that he reaches another level last year and that he's currently the most gifted English CB.

mancan92

Park the bus!!
Didn't you watch the game?
We had at least 4 outstanding opportunity's to score,even in the last few minutes.
Do you know what park the bus means or have you just heard it on here so thought you would use the words?

Glad I don't have your crystal ball!
Perhaps it's the players psyche that's the problem in not having composure in front of goal.
Perhaps it's the players psyche in flapping when defending and not thinking.
Or perhaps we just still have shit players at the club that need to be replaced.
Yes I perfectly watched the game. Instead of us to take control of the game and possession and kill their momentum. We sat back and let them have the ball. Of course we were going to get counter attack opportunities but that is because they pushed everyone forward. We kept the pace of the game high for absolutely no reason. We should have killed it.

Water Melon

Jose isn't the type of manager to jump up and down on the sidelines barking orders willy nilly during the game. He would have outlined the match tactics to each and every individual before the game began and expect his players to be proactive when the situation requires it, they cannot expect their manager to hold their hands on the pitch - they must take responsibility for their own actions.

A good captain would be useful, one with experience and knowledge of the game. One who is unafraid to make decisions and take control of the situation. I feel our current team lack this in a huge way. We haven't had a proper on the field leader since Vidic departed and I think this problem is bigger than we realise.
Situation during a match can change in any unpredictable direction. You can't see foresee everything during pre-match instructions. Getting an ass up to the touchline and giving certain instructions at key moments to players to help them win the game is the least thing I'd expect from any manager. Especially, if there is no real captain on a pitch.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd