PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Fri, 10 August 2018

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Love it. People (especially on the Caf) are going to be furious when we finish above Liverpool again this season.
Hehhe.
I'd love to see the meltdown on here.
"ewwww, Liverpool are better than us"...but why are they below us in the league?

:p

Not a great performance, but we got 3 points and that's what this match was all about.

humdinger

I’m happy with that. Sloppy passing put us under unnecessary pressure but everyone was bright and confident and positive. Bailly and Shaw best players on the pitch for me. Also think Sanchez was influential and involved in all our good play - think the criticism he received in the match day thread was undeserved. Although most of them were rusty I don’t think anyone played badly.

RedDevilRoshi

Will take that. Wasn’t pretty but a win is a win, especially 1st game of the season. Special mentions to captain Pogba, Pereira & Shaw. Front 3 were poor.

jmaggio

Love it. People (especially on the Caf) are going to be furious when we finish above Liverpool again this season.
Honestly , as a newbie, what is it with the love in for Klopp and Liverpool on this forum ? I got shouted at by both united fans and scousers in the Klopp thread for suggesting his football is badly suited to cup Finals.

Ban

Sloppy at times, some good bits of play. Got there in the end. Bailly and Lindelof very good, good energetic debut by Fredge, Pogba focused and concentrated. So glad for Shaw hopefully he'll grab this opportunity.
That midfield trio is definitely something to build on.

Denis79

Great result, tough first game with alot of un-sharp players. Good win!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thought there were some good positives. Shaw, Pogba, Pereira, Fred, Bailly and Lindelof at the back. Couple of worldie saves from DDG again. Some people can never see the positives only focus on the negatives.

MrBest

Really dismal, boring and shaky performance. In the end a well earned grinder 3 points. Going to be a long season as a fan watching this again, I'm pretty certain we have enough to finish in top 4.

lex talionis

Solid defending and midfield play, but our front three lacked penetration. Did any of Mata, Rashford, Sanchez or Lukaku even get a shot on goal?

onemanarmy

Half the team was knackered at the end. Decen performance, will only get better. That midfield 3 looks promising. Mata was ok in the 2nd half, Sanchez wasn't good.

jungledrums

Midfield looks to have massive potential with the addition of Fred. Must admit I’m pissed off with the Martial situation; he has to start.

jesskan60

First half was a sh*t show but much much better second half.
Referee was utterly rubbish :mad:
All players roughly redeem them shelf in the second half except Alexis, he should hit the ground running and he was overall the worst attacking player.
Gutted, we conceded at the end.
Deserved 3 points :devil:

M Bison

Supports
York City
We’d have taken that before the game.

A good 3 points against a decent Leicester side. A few below par performances which will improve with game time and great to see Shaw and Pereira get a full 90.

R'hllor

3 pts thats about it, saying more then that will lead to back and forth, tired for that crap.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Looked quite alright every now and then... But why did that ratfaced bastard have to score in the end and destroy my points for DDG in FPL
FlukyJammy MacRatface, you gent! Thanks for putting me (for fifteen glorious seconds) at the top of the prediction league table!

Last edited:

Devil77

Pros

We won
Andreas, Fred, Pogba, Bailly looked great

Cons

Leicester were the better team overall.
Mata, Darmian, Sanchez and rashford were awful and shouldn’t be in this team.
Mata was great in the second half. Agree about the rest though. Alexis fights like his life depends on it, but his passes and decisions were atrocious.

redIndianDevil

Shaw looked better, created the width and was involved in both the goals. Rashford was horrible and still hasn't learned how to control the ball(looking a lot like Welbeck). Sanchez is class. Our gameplay is still pretty poor, the early handball helped a lot. Bailly and Smalling will make a better pair for the future I think.

SirAnderson

Was a really good game to watch. Some nervy moments.
Early days so I can understand some of the rust season from 1 or 2 of the players.
Overall, very happy to get the victory. Onwards and upwards.

Rake

Pogba, Perreira, Bally (despite the error at the end) and DDG (despite that terrible pass) were the standout performances. Lindelof had a solid game as well.

Right flank was virtually non-existent again. Sanchez was piss poor.

BulgarianDevil91

Pereira with a great performance, he's MOTM for me and most fans I'd assume. Only.other one, who impressed me very much, was Fred.

Pogba was very mature. Sanchez lost too many balls and misplaced numerous passes, hope he manages to pick himself up.

Our right flank was abysmal. Only reason why Darmian was kept must be Tony V's injury in pre-season. Mata has no speed, but his on the ball composure is incredible.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Naturally there were some sloppy moments but I thought we genuinely had more of an incentive to attack. Just had some chemistry issues and heavy touches here and there which is natural given the XI haven't been together long enough.

Sanchez was sloppy at times but set up a couple of great moments too, and deserved another assist.

Fred was sharp, Perreira really impressed me too. Pogba was also strong and had good decision making throughout.

Some shakey defensive moments but it was a back 4 that had never started all together before. Lots of good notes to take away from tonight. 3 points from a good Leicester side is a strong note to start on.

Stadjer

The centreback duo did alright for most of the match. Bailly was pretty good.. hopefully he can actually play some matches without getting injured. Shaw also did pretty well.. hopefully this will kickstart his season.

The predictions about the right side came true. Darmian has never been good enough and Mata lost the last bit of speed and strenght he had. I really dont know if that young Leicester Lb was a really good one or if our right side is terrible.

Captain Pogba was great, Fred looked like a good signing and Pereira did fine too. Rashford was pretty bad and Alexis was by far the worst player on the field... what even was he doing?

Didnt really like the gameplan but it was to be expected after such a early lead... I just wish we went for the second goal instead of letting Leicester dominate the game...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Controlled win for the most part. Unremarkable play and some bad performances which was disappointing (Sanchez being the obvious example). Expecting that match sharpness was an element today. Shocking miss from Lukaku in the second half and I have no idea what De Gea is doing for their equaliser.

Hoping there's better to come. Take the 3 points and run.

One positive was definitely the Pogba/Andreas/Fred midfield which while not exactly vintage stuff looked really functional.
Equaliser?????

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Content but we have to ignore the results of others because they will win more comfortably. We could have lost so defensively we have to improve a fair bit if we're going to soak up pressure and we certainly have to counter better

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Groundsmen are trolling Carragher with lawnmowers pitchside on Sky :lol::lol:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
The good:

- Bailly
- Pogba
- Shaw
- And most importantly, the 3 points.

The bad:

- Sanchez
- Mata
- Darmian
- Lukaku (harsh I know as he wasn't on the pitch for long, but he looked clumsy)

Sambob

Thought that was excellent all things considered. Shows the importance of a preseason and I'd be happy to see continued development from key players. If Shaw can settle, Fred can gel and Sanchez can recover some sort of short passing ability then we are a decent side.

Going to be a tough season i think this one but will be looking for the positives.

Davs

3 points. Chuffed for shaw. We won, all that matters.
@AndyJ1985

A win, all that matters. :lol:

In all seriousness it was an absolute joy to be watching United again today. Solid performances all round pretty much with Pogba, Baily, Fred and Pereira all impressing. Sanchez and Darmian need to show signs of improving quickly, they can't be playing like that all season.

Top of the league though lads. It's coming home I tell ya.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 42% of 1017 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 733 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw