g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 February 2019

Schmeichel=God

Not sure I agree that Lukaku is pointless.
We must remember that injuries and loss of form could mean that he is our only recognised striker.

Even if he is used as a substitute (1!!!) he can do a job (2!!!!!) and hold the ball to bring other players into the game.

Given the opportunity maybe Ole can help him improve some of his weaknesses.

He is still young enough for another season to improve.
If he fails to improve then of course he should be moved on.
:wenger:

:lol:

ravi2

The return on the Sanchez investment is diabolical. That decision behind that contract is lying ominously by the door of Woodward. He is here and will drain us until the last days of it.
To be fair a lot of us (including myself) wanted Sanchez. I always thought he would play off the right and not displace Martial, I didnt think he would be so awful. Its in Woodie's interests to hire a competent DOF and they need to figure out how to get Sanchez off the wage bill this summer.
Maybe PSG can take him and we can finally buy a genuine RW. The right side of our attack needs a complete overhaul

ravi2

People saying this was an awful performance seem to think we've played Cardiff away again. LCFC are no pushovers, especially against the big teams.

What I felt we lacked is that final decisive ball but our defense looked a lot more assured with Bailly (Leicester are tough to defend against, just ask Pool).

Sanchez was still nowhere good enough and Lukaku was not much better when he came on. They need to be sold and Young needs to go, together with Darmian and Valencia in the summer.

I don't know what's up with Fred but he seems to have gone down the Bebe route.
Except Fred cost 59M, I cant believe he was prioritized over getting a CB...another Jose masterclass there

wolvored

If you had have offered a 1-0 win before the match we would have taken it. Yes it was a poor performance and we were lucky to win. As Ole said we aint going to win every game playing well (well he said fantasy football). Rashs goal was class. That chipped pass and the way he brought it down was excellent.

ExoduS

Yeah, Sanchez sucks. Reminds of what a buy Legend Robin Van Persie was! I think against Burnley we were simply unlucky, but today we were bad. We couldn't establish any control over the game, and that 1:0 lead was hanging by a thread. Hopefully we improve in the future as game like today is not going to work in the future. Win is a win I guess?

RooneyLegend

Playing with a minimum of one defunct attacker every game is going to catch up to us eventually.

tonnas

It was a scrappy win but we were our main enemy. We had 5 very good counter attacks that we wasted in the pass, we should have been 2 or even 3 up if we were clinical with our passing. IMo, that was the main issue, also, we looked tired we need some players to rest and rotate the midfield.

ravi2

Personally think Young is getting a rough ride in here today. He’s 33 and once again was up and down that right hand side because we don’t have anyone else seemingly capable to play on the right. Sanchez doesn’t have to defend at all and did nothing. Absolutely nothing.
It would be nice if Young puts in a decent cross now and then, you are right in that Sanchez does nothing of note, his decline in form is shocking.

ravi2

Today just highlights why we desperately need a left footed RW and a RB
Our right side has needed an overhaul for years now. We have to use this summer transfer window wisely and if we do, we'll be flying

ravi2

Lingard and Sanchez should not be allowed anywhere near the first team, both were atrocious.
Lingard makes great runs and adds a lot of energy to the side, I appreciate his contribution but I can see what you are saying in that perhaps we shouldnt be starting for us. Sanchez needs to be sold asap, cant really say too much more about him than that

ravi2

Still think if it's up to me, I'd get rid of Lukaku (200+k/wk), Mata (gigantic/wk), Sanchez (350-500k/wk, and Lingard (100k/wk). And the usual suspect Young (120k/wk).

That (may) equal 10 Son Heung-Min with those kind of wages.

This summer we have serious work to do in the transfer market, both in and out. We can afford to pay almost any player once we get Lukaku, Sanchez, Valencia & Young off the books. We have no excuse for not getting a top tier RW, CB and RB.Once we do that, we'll be able to compete against any team in Europe.

OldPop

From the beginning, Ole's team was a big question mark for the opponents (and everyone else). How would the players perform under him, how would Ole shape the team, what tactics would he use against different types of opponents and what instructions would he give the players?

After each match, the knowledge of it increases and the competitors learn and look for the weaknesses. We can therefore surely expect more matches in the same style and that it will be increasingly difficult to surprise the opponents.

If you look at it this way, the match gave a good answer today. It was the work effort, especially in the defense, the team morale and some players' individual skills that saved three points.

Because we are not superior, especially not to the better teams, that ability will be needed several times. It therefore feels good to know that we can win even such matches. Or as someone said, luck is nothing you get, it's something you deserve!

ravi2

Matic, Young and Lingard were dreadful, surely about time we gave Dalot a chance. Thought Rashford was pretty quiet after his injury. Leicester were thankfully absolute shite today so we didn't have too much to worry about. Easy to moan about but Mendy he should've been off for Leicetser. Lukaku delivered possibly the worst cameo of the season.
Young should not be starting before Dalot..in fact Young shouldnt be starting period. As for Lukaku, its gotten to the point Id rather us to play with 10 men than for him to come on. He stinks

Bola

The comments on this thread are very negative for what I thought was a good win.

The Fixes had their chances of course, but I thought we were in control for most of the match.

Would have rather had a bit more inciecivness after the goal, but all teams need to win ugly. Also bear in mind that the Foxes are s good side who have taken points off the top teams this season and were unlucky against us in the season opener

Reiver

Felt we were our own worst enemy today being far too sloppy in possession and inviting the pressure onto us. For me, Matic is a big culprit of that. He does do a lot right, his reading of the game is very good. Unfortunately he is starting to lose the pace/mobility needed for his role.

Don't agree with all the negative comments about Lingard.

OGS obviously doesn't rate the rest of the midfielders as today, and against Spurs, we were dying for some fresh legs and in both games he's gone to Jones.

ravi2

Good win, Leicester set up well against the big boys. Lots go there and lose, let alone win. Happy with the 3 points.

Sanchez leaves a lot to be desired. At the moment he's looking like Torres did when he joined Chelsea, it's that bad.
The issue is Sanchez looked decent with Arsenal, true he was on a decline but his form has fallen right off a cliff when he joined United.
Torres was never the same after his injury and he was crap at the end with Livers before he joined Chelsea.

I cant figure out what happened to Sanchez, our only recourse is to sell him this summer as his wages are astronomical and we have serious recruiting to do and need the wages.

Njord

Think our biggest problem today was how low our midfield got during long periods of the game. This is espescially a problem with Matic, where he seems to only be comfortable when he's positioned between our CBs.

Compared to how high Ndidi and Mendy were playing, or how high their atleticism allowed to play, it's no surprise we lost the midfield battle.

And it would be okay if the team were staying in a low block, with sensible distances between defence, midfield and the forwards, but as it were, the defence and midfield were melting together, and the forwards were miles away. This allowed Leicesters midfielders to play as it pleased them, and luckily they didn't have higher quality on the ball.

ravi2

Not sure I agree that Lukaku is pointless.
We must remember that injuries and loss of form could mean that he is our only recognised striker.

Even if he is used as a substitute he can do a job and hold the ball to bring other players into the game.

Given the opportunity maybe Ole can help him improve some of his weaknesses.

He is still young enough for another season to improve.
If he fails to improve then of course he should be moved on.
Oh Hell no...Lukaku has to go. Rashford is better than him and he is even more crap when coming of the bench so he cant be a sub. The real issue is who can we get to buy him given his wages? Woodie needs to get the DOF hire correct so they can strategize how to move Lukaku and Sanchez and get players that can actually do the job for us.

ravi2

Playing with a minimum of one defunct attacker every game is going to catch up to us eventually.
We drew against Burnley because Ole made the mistake of starting Mata and Lukaku together, our front line looked awful with those playing together.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Easily the worst game under Ole (bar Reading but we'll blame that one on the whole sale changes). Awful second half, not much better first apart from the first 10 minutes. Least we won though and Fulham should be easier

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We were a Top 2 side last season. Ole has had them playing at a faster pace in previous games. Is now realising he has to play some players all the time. Now you can query the fitness regime that Jose was using and that he did not get the players into peak fitness. Lukaku is a lazy asshole though.
You can't blame Jose for lack of fitness.
A human (who is normally fit), can go from de-trained to fully fit in 6 weeks, easily.
Even a healthy young man(not elite level sportsman), can go from de-trained to very very fit, in 6 weeks.

Also, don't forget that our players, under Jose, weren't pizza and beer drinking slobs, under Jose. They had a good level of fitness, which is a minimal requirement of any player to do well in the EPL. Lukaku would be the only one who I would say, had become a slob and that has not changed, as we saw today. He still looks gassed after running for 5 minutes, but this is due to excessive weight, which he either can't or doesn't want to shift.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Negativity is too rife here. We won the game you numpties against a tough opponent. I watched every second we were not terrible. We won so let’s move on.
This is true.

I think that a lot of people got carried away with the "scoring 5 goals per game", thing and they expect us to do this in every match.
Unfortunately, the honeymoon effect has worn off and we are now scoring 1-3 goals per game, which is frustrating a lot of people.

Eddy_JukeZ

We are increasingly fading badly in games.

Our players look dead after 60 odd minutes.

Really poor performance after the first 10 minutes. So many misplaced passes.

Great win though. I don't think Leicester were that threatening overall.

tony54

I only saw the second half and it wasn't pretty. Some very sloppy play and there were large, tired, gaps bewteen players. The teams fitness needs to improve and in that regard I hope Olly is not over stressing them in training, a fine balance is needed to get an optimum balance of fitness on match day.
It's such a shame Lukaku and Sanchez are not performing and I really think Oly should try some younger players. I think Fosu-mensah could have played a part in bolstering our midfield.
I also think MU have missed a trick in not getting a really good midfielder in January and hope it doesnt prevent us from getting a top four finish.

Minimalist

Not a brilliant performance but Leicester are no mugs. Wouldn't have been out of line to see them score and take a draw. Dave on form as usual.

Still, a brilliant goal won it and on to the next one with Fulham.

UnitedSinceBirth

Supports
Glasgow Celtic
An ugly 3 points,

But 3 points none-the-less. Can’t stop checking the league table. Beautiful considering our position in December.

Well in, Ole.

Ricardo de la Vega

Can't get over that pass, first touch and finish. What a great goal. Wonderful by Pogba and Rashford, and it's a joy to see Rashford developing into a real, top class, number 9. Just needs to improve in the air.

RMD83

Rubbish performance but 3 points none the less. The second half was like watching a testimonial and it was a bit concerning that this was our response to a disappointing draw v Burnley but still 10 games unbeaten and closing in on top 4. Keep the faith.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
De Gea - People just basically ignore when he makes miracle saves that win us the game now.

Young - About half of this game was waiting for Young to throw the ball back on to the pitch to a Leicester player...and at least half of the rest of it was Young passing/hoofing/kicking the ball randomly up in the air to Leicester players.
Bailly - We started playing worse as soon as he stopped acting like an insane person, but he was being so insane that this was actually a good thing.
Lindelof - He's pretty good these days.
Shaw - One of his better games. Pretty sure his face is getting bigger

Matic - Played well but must he always toy with the idea of being sent off?
Herrera - Spent too much of the game thinking he was playing at centreback. He does this a lot when teams pressure us a bit. Needs to properly grow his balls back.
Pogba - I love how there was all this debate about how you set up Pogba to play well in midfield, and the answer turns out to be by not playing him in midfield. When you see him purely as an attacking player, suddenly even his poorer games are actually very effective ones.

Sanchez - failed to really impress with any of his four touches of the ball
Rashford - Next time he is shunted to the wing I will moan about it again
Lingard - also failed to really impress with his slightly more than four touches of the ball

Subs:
Martial - immediate improvement due to the fact you could actually tell he was on the pitch
Jones - Brought on to help Young waste time taking throw ins
Lukaku - One of his trademark skills has become not running after a loose ball he can clearly get to until the crowd yell at him. This is not a good trademark skill to have. Probably wont make it onto the skill list for the next FIFA.

Ole - Did what he needed to. No fecking around with his strongest team aside from fitness issues.

Overall - Poor performance on the ball. Too many aimless hoofs and confusingly terrible passes under no pressure. Off the ball probably one of our better defensive displays this season. Apart from the fact we still can't defend a simple cross into our box. Good result given the difficulties.

Mike Dean - Every time he is referee I end up worrying more about what he is going to do than the opposition.

TV coverage - At one point we spent 15 seconds, watching Claude Puel, watching a pigeon, while the commentators analysed Claude Puel watching a pigeon.

Ibrahimorich

A win's a win but this just seemed like more confirmation that we should've spent in January. We have a very good first eleven and then nothing on the bench despite the star names, international caps, enormous wages and reputations.

Thankfully there's decent rest periods between Chelsea, PSG and Liverpool, so barring injury we can field a full strength team against all of them and gamble a bit with the B team against Fulham.

I'm worried our lack of depth will come back to haunt us in the race for 4th

Run_time_error

I reckon we have a bit of emotional exhaustion creeping in. The exhilaration of losing Jose is fading. The next eight weeks will be a big test of this management team.
I was thinking similar and wondered if the first few weeks were fueled by adrenaline after being freed. Still a win and up a place. Only two behind Chelsea now. When you look at where we were two months ago, I'll take it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We were worryingly shite.
Not really. Baffles me why people expect us to go from struggling to get points off most teams, to batting most teams aside effortlessly... In the space of a month or so no less.

Good 3 points.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not really. Baffles me why people expect us to go from struggling to get points off most teams, to batting most teams aside effortlessly... In the space of a month or so no less.

Good 3 points.
Yeah. Well I kind of agree with both of you actually. We were a bit shite but it's also unrealistic to expect us to be great every game, especially against someone like Leicester who are a decent side.

I think we have our full quota of weaknesses even when we put out our strongest team, so when we have injuries or need to rest people, or if a few have off days, things are going to immediately get less easy.

Ole's got us looking like a team and players playing to their strengths, but he isn't going to work miracles.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This summer we have serious work to do in the transfer market, both in and out. We can afford to pay almost any player once we get Lukaku, Sanchez, Valencia & Young off the books. We have no excuse for not getting a top tier RW, CB and RB.Once we do that, we'll be able to compete against any team in Europe.
Agreed. A well run club like Bayern would've ditched those average players with gigantic wages long ago.
United is a self sponsored club. We don't have unlimited money on wages. A waste on one player, is a loss to future signing.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 470 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 1:3 Man Utd