PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 July 2020

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I am beginning to verge on the idea of selling Paul, but I don't think we'd get the right money for him now.

In this midfield 3 with one DM sitting (Matic) and one AM pushing ahead (Bruno) I think we need more mobility and intensity from the one in between, the box to box. Pogba is too often mia for me.

So if we have a buyer at a good price for him, then why not...wages off the bill, and go for a more all action reliable type with more consistency.

For all his strength and technical ability he is dispossessed too often, so going for someone less showy, more reliable, more tenacious...might well be of benefit to us.

McT is rather in that mould for me; less technical ability but more oomph. But no harm in using funds from any Pogba sale to go for another CM or AM, as we could bring Fernandes back to CM due to his work rate.

(Potential for a two footed Greenwood at AM/False Nine behind Martial, with Sancho at RW?) :drool:
Thoughtful post - it’s a arguable point. Not 100% on it; he’s still a bit immature but what a talent - obviously good body language today w Ole. Will he grow up next month?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I am beginning to verge on the idea of selling Paul, but I don't think we'd get the right money for him now.

In this midfield 3 with one DM sitting (Matic) and one AM pushing ahead (Bruno) I think we need more mobility and intensity from the one in between, the box to box. Pogba is too often mia for me.

So if we have a buyer at a good price for him, then why not...wages off the bill, and go for a more all action reliable type with more consistency.

For all his strength and technical ability he is dispossessed too often, so going for someone less showy, more reliable, more tenacious...might well be of benefit to us.

McT is rather in that mould for me; less technical ability but more oomph. But no harm in using funds from any Pogba sale to go for another CM or AM, as we could bring Fernandes back to CM due to his work rate.

(Potential for a two footed Greenwood at AM/False Nine behind Martial, with Sancho at RW?) :drool:
A lot of talk that he has already signed his contract.

Goku23

A lot of talk that he has already signed his contract.
Sell Paul thats nuts hes got the potential to be the best midfielder on the planet he needs consistency and maturity thats all he will be awesome for us

reddevil80

Nah, disagree. Don't sell him.

He looks languid and appears to get dispossessed often but that is only when the forwards aren't mobile. If the attackers weren't as tired as they are and were able to run more freely the his quicm release of the ball would be happen more often. This has been a huge bone of contention all season.

When he has no targets up front for the cross angle ball or through the channel behind defences, he's stalled and then got pounced upon. Yes, in some of those positions he could have and maybe should have attacked with the ball himself but he needs movement ahead of him. Thankfully, Bruno has arrived and taken some of the burden off Pogba but he has been missing his passes and getting caught out a lot too just like Pog. That shows that they both have similar problems on the pitch but Bruno is " let off " with his missed passes and getting taken off the ball whereas Pogba isn't.

This is one of the issues at utd and I believe that finding at least one striker/winger and another strong CM should be our focus in the transfer window. Selling Pogba would intensify the role Bruno has to play and would burn him out quicker and pressurises Bruno more by putting all the burden on his shoulders, like we did with Pogba before Bruno.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Mission accomplished and all that. Now to move on to another level with a new keeper, CB, midfielder, winger and striker. Only then will we challenge for the big stuff.
What bothered me about today's performance was how easily we allowed crosses into our box. Been happening all season and it's not as if we defend well when they do come in. The opposition never make it easy for us so why do we just roll over? Laziness, bad coaching, probably both.

Ventura

That young kid Lingard looks like a legend in the making!

Great game, great result, great players, great manager, great goals, everything is great.

AndyMUFC

Get in, brilliant achievement to get 3rd.

We’ve had to do it with a relatively threadbare squad, which was half the problem at the beginning of the season but hopefully we can strengthen now.

It was a very cagey game, Leicester didn’t cause us that many problems considering what was at stake for them though and we got a bit of luck when it mattered.

Result was everything today. Didn't care how we did it. Just relief now and joy the Champions League football is back at Old Trafford and we don't have to think about the god awful Europa League neext season.

Crustanoid

Yep!
What are your thoughts on resting the first team/giving them a holiday before the start of the new season? I know it would be nice to win Europa but I seriously worry about burn out, the players looked exhausted today, especially Bruno and Rashford.
I think we should still try for a trophy.

Rest all first XI vs LASK
Second string vs Copengahen / Istanbul with 3 first teamers (not Bruno, Rashford or anyone else who has looked tired) and more on the bench
First team in Semi and Final if we get there.

EDIT and Ed has to spend and spend fast and big to make sure our squad is equipped to rotate effectively come September and not get into this position again

Tincanalley

Martial is easily our best player. MOTM again. Lindelof good too. Williams much better. Greenwood decent.

Bruno awful. Rashford too. Maguire & Matic shaky.

Cheers for the tap in & the FA Cup, Jesse! It’s been real. Best of luck wherever you go.
Hilarious and clueless post of the year

Red00012

One thing I liked is that we didn’t celebrate at the end like we just won a cup, unlike some other top 4 chasing teams in the past.

Hopefully the team know that even 3rd is not good enough.
Noticed that too

They can celebrate In private which is fine

Tincanalley

Must say I’m delighted for Lindelof, looks like he gets Caf MOTM. I voted Bruno because of the pass to Martial .. and his coolness w peno and ... because. But fair play to Viktor. Deserves it

Russky14

Phew. This is not about CL & winning it Is about being in it & attracting the players we desperately need to move forward. Albeit, LFC were the best team (nearly sick saying that), their winning margin was frothy by about 12 to 15 pts. We just need to close half of that next season & then move on the following.

Walters_19_MuFc

Bit of a damp squib, but we did what we had to do.

To get 3rd position is massive, all things considered. Ole and the boys should be proud of themselves.

Back in the CL where we belong.

Fitchett

That was a nervy match for the most part, but job done in the end. That's a terrific performance to come from 14th to 3rd, with key players injured for long spells this season. Now for some good signings to strengthen the squad for next season.

Amir

Sell Paul thats nuts hes got the potential to be the best midfielder on the planet he needs consistency and maturity thats all he will be awesome for us
Problem is, he's already 27 and he's been with us for four years. Will it ever happen?

Eddy_JukeZ

Great win.

The team showed good mentality throughout the game.

Hopefully we push on next season even more.

simplyared

We scraped a win today. Not convincing by any means. We cannot challenge the top teams without attacking full backs. If Shaw can kick on from where he left off before his injury then we're sorted at LB. Wan Bissaka, on the other hand, isn't good enough. We're screeming for a top class attacking RB. Liverpool without Trent Arnold and Robertson would never have won the title!

Schmeichel=God

Nah, disagree. Don't sell him.

He looks languid and appears to get dispossessed often but that is only when the forwards aren't mobile. If the attackers weren't as tired as they are and were able to run more freely the his quicm release of the ball would be happen more often. This has been a huge bone of contention all season.

When he has no targets up front for the cross angle ball or through the channel behind defences, he's stalled and then got pounced upon. Yes, in some of those positions he could have and maybe should have attacked with the ball himself but he needs movement ahead of him. Thankfully, Bruno has arrived and taken some of the burden off Pogba but he has been missing his passes and getting caught out a lot too just like Pog. That shows that they both have similar problems on the pitch but Bruno is " let off " with his missed passes and getting taken off the ball whereas Pogba isn't.

This is one of the issues at utd and I believe that finding at least one striker/winger and another strong CM should be our focus in the transfer window. Selling Pogba would intensify the role Bruno has to play and would burn him out quicker and pressurises Bruno more by putting all the burden on his shoulders, like we did with Pogba before Bruno.
Fair points.

SirMattlives

Happy with the outcome - thought we were generally quite comfortable throughout. I stayed off the match forum for most of the game as it always tends to make me feel anxious . I think this was a decent season-end, we've been pretty impressive since Bruno arrived and I'm optimistic we will be even stronger next season if we can make some sensible additions. I think we are ok in defense but can look frail when physically imposed upon, and I find Williams and Lindelof a little too slow against pacy attackers. But for all that, we've not given too many away this year so I don't feel we are in urgent need of replacements as much as a little more depth in the squad for the inevitable injuries and loss of form. Wish Bailly could play two games without crippling himself, and I do wish Phil Jones the best (but preferably at another club). Everyone keeps mentioning Sancho but I have no idea if that's real or not...Thought Grealish looked a bit sheepish post-match so maybe he is on the move. Anyway,y that's the stuff for next few weeks, right now Sunday is looking sunny.

Maureen-yo

We scraped a win today. Not convincing by any means. We cannot challenge the top teams without attacking full backs. If Shaw can kick on from where he left off before his injury then we're sorted at LB. Wan Bissaka, on the other hand, isn't good enough. We're screeming for a top class attacking RB. Liverpool without Trent Arnold and Robertson would never have won the title!
reading between the lines, you think Shaw is better than Wan Bissaka?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
The most remarkable aspect is that the old winning mentality/confidence are back. After the horrible FA semis and the 1-1 draw vs WH, this 0-2 victory is an achievement in itself other than the UCL ticket. Any other day in 2014-2019 and the tragedy would have been real (2-1 or something).

Hester_manc

On Danish television, the pundits talk about United having improved compared to recent seasons. But if you look at the number of points we have achieved the last 5 seasons, there has not been a big change:

Season 19/20: 66p (3rd place)

Season 18/19: 66p. (6th place)

Season 17/18: 81p. (2nd place)

Season 16/17: 69p. (6th place)

Season 15/16: 66p. (5th place).

The question then is whether one can measure an improvement in points, in position or in the way the team plays?
Maybe 66 points gave a 3rd place this year rather than a 6th place this year because several other teams have improved?

Gator Nate

Maybe 66 points gave a 3rd place this year rather than a 6th place this year because several other teams have improved?
This is where I am. Everyone talks about how we were lucky because everyone else was terrible this year, but I really have to wonder if they have it backwards. I think the middle of the league are much better.

But no matter what, all the teams played each other (which is why our "easy" run of games after the break was only because we had the more difficult run before), and we ended up 3rd. That's all that really matters. We have a transfer window between now and the start of the next season, so let's see what can happen.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The last few games have been awful for the mental health but we're third!

Now rest Bruno. Until the start of CL qualifier, league start.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Definately yes!
*definitely*

But he's also had a few more years under his belt to improve his game, and I'm aware of his terrible injury and problems with Jose.

AWB is a far better defender than he is an attacker but there was also a time where everyone wanted Shaw out claiming how fat he was, how unfit he looked, he was slow,couldn't attack. I don't think I've seen a defender take so much stick

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 356 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Leicester 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd