PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 December 2020

hubbuh

Are people just blindly being infuriated. That game was a tough game where I felt we were in control for most of the match despite leicester having possession. Very tight in midfield as Ndidi and Fred were amazing. We were "sloppy" because their midfield press was good and vice versa. The defence handled their attackers except from a few moments, and unfortunately they were more clinical than we were. Not disgusting, if you're going to draw, this is the type of game to do it
Well said. The frustration stems from our inability to keep opponents out, but against a team like Leicester they are going to inevitably create chances. Enjoyable game of footy.

Foxbatt

Well said. The frustration stems from our inability to keep opponents out, but against a team like Leicester they are going to inevitably create chances. Enjoyable game of footy.
This is Manchester United we are talking about and we should never accept being beaten or draw a match.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Too much blame being thrown at individuals here.

We just aren't quite there yet. Back 5, flanks, midfield and strikers fecked up today for the goals and missed chances.

Even Bruno had horrible giveaways all game but of course he scores and assists.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
A real shame that one. Looking at the result in isolation it is not bad at all, but twice in the lead and that collective defensive brainfart for Vardy goal leaves a disappointing feeling.

We conceded 23 goals in 14 matches. Probably half of them were product of individual or collective mistake. You just can't mount a serious title challenge with such issues at the back.
But I guess even talking and thinking about title challenge is a considerable step forward, so there is that.

tjb

All true. The part that’s frustrating is the difference in the finishing between the two sides. We had multiple glorious chances and scored two, which is great, but we left at least another goal on the table. Leicester City had two scraps of chances and scored on both.

There are some positives to take away from this one, but we have to to improve our finishing of we’re going to dream of a title run.
People haven't realized yet the our press is similar to the Everton game and was great again. a wide flat press from the front 4. We were also more aggressive in moving the ball forward, rather than slowly building up. If that loses us possession, so be it. We were great and closing everything down centrally too, aerial duels, tackles etc. The problems we had were a. James and Pogba ( when he came on) in ability to hold possession or do anything decent when they had it, which killed potential counters. b. Unfortunately, our midfield lacked incisiveness, neither McT or Fred had that pass in them today

tjb

This is Manchester United we are talking about and we should never accept being beaten or draw a match.
We drew a lot of games under Fergie, in fact Fergie would have drawn this game too. Don't bring up standards and then overvalue what it was in the past. We drew and lost games, mostly away. We also didn't control every game, particularly away games and our strikers didn't convert every chance we had.

Foxbatt

We drew a lot of games under Fergie, in fact Fergie would have drawn this game too. Don't bring up standards and then overvalue what it was in the past. We drew and lost games, mostly away. We also didn't control every game, particularly away games and our strikers didn't convert every chance we had.
It's not the results. Under SAF we lost and didn't win every season. Yet we never accepted it. Now it seems being mediocre is acceptable just because Ole is the manager and some people support him over the club.

Foxbatt

Welcome to the real world.
What are you talking about? I have been a supporter since 1967. Yes 1967. We never won much after 68 and even got relegated. Yet we never accepted being mediocre. Now it seems that people accept being mediocre just because they support the manager and not the club.

Bash92

If we seriously want to challenge for the league, we need a better striker. Martial is not the way forward

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I would say its mostly to do with Bailly not playing for a long time and also the same with Axel. Lindelof for all his faults waves his arms about and attracts attention. I think we play better when he plays at CB.
Bailly also waved his arm. Just one of the moments he was sleepwalking through this game.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
:houllier:

tjb

It's not the results. Under SAF we lost and didn't win every season. Yet we never accepted it. Now it seems being mediocre is acceptable just because Ole is the manager and some people support him over the club.
Noone is accepting it as a good result, but it is what it is. Fergie didnt have fiery or angry post match interviews after we didnt win. My annoyance is how our fans blow things out of proportion for these type of results, this is why it always seems like we re in crisis these days.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm glad that somebody else thinks like I do.
The problem we have is that there are many fans who have only ever known us finishing around 4th place - they've never tasted league victory. So, to many, drawing is quite acceptable.
To me, we should be aiming to win every game, which will eventually result in the league title.

Too many fans are accepting of mediocrity and these people probably celebrate the 4th place trophy.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So fergie would have won every game against non top 6 opposition then
Not every match, but you can bet he'd be winning more matches than the managers who have proceeded him.

tjb

Not every match, but you can bet he'd be winning more matches than the managers who have proceeded him.
Yes of course, but we can't clone him. Ole's doing well, even if he isn't the man for the job in future, he should be proud of himself.

Longshanks

It's a good job we accepted the mediocre performances of SAF first few seasons!

Honestly get a grip, no team wins every game the point is acceptable, disappointing mind because we should of won but getting a point away from home at a top 4 rival is not unacceptable, it wasnt during SAF times either.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s more that we’re building something. Would be ridiculous to expect to win the league this season where as there were times under Ferguson the idea of finishing 2nd would be unacceptable. That’s the way football is.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Yes of course, but we can't clone him. Ole's doing well, even if he isn't the man for the job in future, he should be proud of himself.
Not yet he shouldn't. If he believes in himself that is. At United there is no place for the "good effort' trophy. OGS of all people knows that pretty well.

Foxbatt

It's a good job we accepted the mediocre performances of SAF first few seasons!

Honestly get a grip, no team wins every game the point is acceptable, disappointing mind because we should of won but getting a point away from home at a top 4 rival is not unacceptable, it wasnt during SAF times either.
We didn't and we criticized him as much as it could be done but he had credit in the bank because he had done it with Aberdeen and won the Cup winners Cup with Aberdeen beating Bayern and Real Madrid. Did Ole win any European Trophies?
I am sure Ole does not accept this either but some fans are accepting mediocrity. This is what I am saying. I do not accept drawing or losing any game. It happens though.

Foxbatt

It’s more that we’re building something. Would be ridiculous to expect to win the league this season where as there were times under Ferguson the idea of finishing 2nd would be unacceptable. That’s the way football is.
Never said that we would win the league. The difference at Manchester United, certainly is that we should not accept anything less then the PL or the CL. Yes we may not win it but we cannot accept not winning. If we accept being mediocre then we will always be mediocre.

hubbuh

What are you talking about? I have been a supporter since 1967. Yes 1967. We never won much after 68 and even got relegated. Yet we never accepted being mediocre. Now it seems that people accept being mediocre just because they support the manager and not the club.
Drawing 2-2 to Leicester isn't a terrible result, I agree that we shouldn't accept mediocrity but I don't think we witnessed mediocrity today. We came up short against a team that is competing with us to topple Liverpool. We've just won something like 13 away games in a row! I've been in agreement that Ole isn't up to it, but today wasn't a stick to beat him with.

Good result. I still think we’re a better “footballing” team and have more control with just one CDM alongside Pogba or DVB , and Bruno further ahead. Even Pogba came on we controlled the match more but he was too far forward.

Leicester are a great Premier League story, a team the has grown organically into a top 6 team with realistic aspiration for top 4 and maybe even challenging for the title.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Starting Fred, McTominay, James & Rashford all in the same team isn’t sustainable. The level of technical ability is far too low. The technical ability on the bench with Matic, Pogba, van de Beek & Cavani was greater than the technical ability of their starting counterparts.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Never said that we would win the league. The difference at Manchester United, certainly is that we should not accept anything less then the PL or the CL. Yes we may not win it but we cannot accept not winning. If we accept being mediocre then we will always be mediocre.
Right, I get exactly what you’re saying. There has to be some appreciation of context though. I don’t agree with your last comment either. There was a time recently Liverpool would have creamed themselves to even be in the top 5 and now they’d be gutted if they came 2nd. That comes over time. They were never “accepting” mediocrity though.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Starting Fred, McTominay, James & Rashford all in the same team isn’t sustainable. The level of technical ability is far too low. The technical ability on the bench with Matic, Pogba, van de Beek & Cavani was greater than the technical ability of their starting counterparts.
The absolute nonsense that gets spouted on this forum about someone who is clearly our second best player is just fecking astounding.

vanrooney

The absolute nonsense that gets spouted on this forum about someone who is clearly our second best player is just fecking astounding.
Absolutely correct - rashford is not only one of our best players but one of the most exciting young players in world football. And technical ability is in fact one of his strength. He should have scored two more today though

Hellboy

He's right though, Rashford is not very good technically in the sense that he is too loose with the ball

atkar83

Would the defenders have been less confused on the last goal if it were a back 4 and they knew their responsibilities or would it have happened anyway due to their ineptitude and Vardys excellent movement? Seems like PSG game 1 aside, they never look comfortable in a back 5 consistently, there are always nervy moments throughout games.

Jibbs

Should have won 4-1 instead of 2-2 draw. Concentration lapses, nonclinical finishing, loosing control in key areas. I think today we found out what separates teams which are title winners from also ran teams. Liverpool would have killed that match.

arnie_ni

Sums up their 2nd. Stay with your man and stop ball watching

matsdf

Just watched the highlights, we looked comfortably better. We are a very good side at the moment. Not there yet, but edging closer.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You think United at the moment are mediocre?

I think we’re clearly on the up, playing with more confidence and not all that far away from being a genuinely good team that can put some consistency together and challenge for decent trophies. Mediocre we certainly aren’t.

Also just realised, on one page I see you asking who played and where and then the next page, you’re on about not accepting mediocrity. Quite a leap :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Noone is accepting it as a good result, but it is what it is. Fergie didnt have fiery or angry post match interviews after we didnt win. My annoyance is how our fans blow things out of proportion for these type of results, this is why it always seems like we re in crisis these days.
Agreed with all your posts on the last page or so, people need to reign the crisis in

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 66% of 272 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw