PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 December 2020

SinNombre

1. Martial wasn't on the end of any of our big chances so replacing him with Kane wouldn't have changed anything today.

2. Liverpool literally won the league last year with Firmino scoring like 5 times all year. This antiquated thought process that one player has to score all of a teams goals is ridiculous, and its how you end up with a team that gets nullified if a player is out of form or injured.
These Martial (or Rashford) are a problem are nonsensical posts.

We are 2nd in the league in goals scored and scored 15 goals in the 6 CL ties.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
1. Martial wasn't on the end of any of our big chances so replacing him with Kane wouldn't have changed anything today.

2. Liverpool literally won the league last year with Firmino scoring like 5 times all year. This antiquated thought process that one player has to score all of a teams goals is ridiculous, and its how you end up with a team that gets nullified if a player is out of form or injured.
1. Makes no sense. See cavanis headed goals the other week, martial wouldn’t have been on the end of them to miss them in the first place as he lacks the movement.

2. Firmino is not a striker anyway. If you think signing someone like Kane or haaland or lewa wouldn’t improve or benefit this team I’m not sure there’s any debate to be had

Valencia Shin Crosses

1. Makes no sense. See cavanis headed goals the other week, martial wouldn’t have been on the end of them to miss them in the first place as he lacks the movement.

2. Firmino is not a striker anyway. If you think signing someone like Kane or haaland or lewa wouldn’t improve or benefit this team I’m not sure there’s any debate to be had
Okay great go call up Bayern as ask for Lewa I'm sure they'd be chuffed to talk to us. There isn't a debate to be had because the all action striker that scores 30 a year and has great all around play is basically a unicorn these days. I'd love Haaland in our team and hope we sign him, but my point is our problem doesn't stem from an inability to score goals as much as issues in other areas of our side.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
These Martial (or Rashford) are a problem are nonsensical posts.

We are 2nd in the league in goals scored and scored 15 goals in the 6 CL ties.
It’s not that they are a problem, I didn’t say they were in the post I replied to that You quoted. having a striker in the middle and using martial and rashford from out wide is not saying they are a problem, just that they are not clinical typical strikers, better from out wide.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Okay great go call up Bayern as ask for Lewa I'm sure they'd be chuffed to talk to us. There isn't a debate to be had because the all action striker that scores 30 a year and has great all around play is basically a unicorn these days. I'd love Haaland in our team and hope we sign him, but my point is our problem doesn't stem from an inability to score goals as much as issues in other areas of our side.
I didn’t say to go and sign him, clearly, just that a real forward who works the centre would improve us to counter your numbered points
Rashford and martial are better from out wide, having them either side of a proper striker like cavani continually would improve us

R'hllor

Why what did he say? It is possible to be critical of the manager without wanting him sacked you know.
Maybe out there but not in here, here you have a go or mention a name of other managers regardless of context = branded as Ole outter.

SinNombre

It’s not that they are a problem, I didn’t say they were in the post I replied to that You quoted. having a striker in the middle and using martial and rashford from out wide is not saying they are a problem, just that they are not clinical typical strikers, better from out wide.
We are scoring enough goals.

Nothing is going to help us if your #6 makes 21 passes in 90 minutes and does not close down attackers.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We are scoring enough goals.

Nothing is going to help us if your #6 makes 21 passes in 90 minutes and does not close down attackers.
We are, and we could score even more. isn’t it nice to be complaining about only scoring 2 goals a game and drawing away from home to one of the leagues bettter teams

Valencia Shin Crosses

I didn’t say to go and sign him, clearly, just that a real forward who works the centre would improve us to counter your numbered points
Rashford and martial are better from out wide, having them either side of a proper striker like cavani continually would improve us
You said sign someone like Kane or Lewa, and my point was that there aren't any players out there like Kane and Lewa. Haaland is the closest, but that's about it.

It doesn't matter right now because we aren't buying any of them in Jan to help this season, but I do hope we get a DM or defender in and think that would help.

Jaykespeare88

What the feck was that starting lineup, James playing right side of CM, and lindelof RB....Bonkers. Granted changes came early but it was still to late. Fred a little to eager to press for their 2nd, Pogba pointing and not following the danger and our CBs clueless to Vardy lurking. Really annoyed with this one, they weren't all that.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You said sign someone like Kane or Lewa, and my point was that there aren't any players out there like Kane and Lewa. Haaland is the closest, but that's about it.

It doesn't matter right now because we aren't buying any of them in Jan to help this season, but I do hope we get a DM or defender in and think that would help.
Yes, like Kane and lewa. Not actually Kane and lewa. Thanks for agreeing

90 + 5min

I think this game shows that we are nearly there with Solskjaer. What we need is real solid leader as CB even if I think there are more circumstances of bad luck that we let goals in. Little bit like Liverpool pre-VanDijk. What I do like is that every goal we concede is because of our own misstakes and bad luck. Pretty much every game. We aren't being dominated.

We played against Leicester. Away. Hard game but was in control almost whole game. If we keep this up we might have some silverware this year, even if my projection is next year.

hobbers

A good reminder of where we are. Our defence is shite and we need to be scouring the market for a top CDM and a centreback. Fred and McTominay run around a lot but neither of them have brains. And our centrebacks are equally brainless so the idea of marking players, following runs and covering the right spaces just never happens. Couple that with full backs who dont close down crosses and it's an inevitable disaster waiting to happen.

McTominay was back to being a below average plodder with the ball today. Martial and Rashford also continuing to prove that they'll never be clinical enough to be number 9s. James confounding all the odds, getting minutes when he can hardly control the ball.

Maticmaker

The periods in a game where we can be said to show some consistency in our play is growing, but during the times we are not being consistent, we either miss absolute sitters (as Rashford did today) or give daft goals away, mainly because one or two players seem to lose the ball in the wrong areas, either by sloppy passing, or lack of concentration or trying to be too clever by half.
Today was no exception, we are progressing but its still two steps forward and one back. If we finish up losing the league, or even a top four spot by 2 points, that we were capable of taking against one of our closest competitors, then todays game will one we will look back on and say "that was the game".

Superden

So half our team are useless according to this thread,bunch of clueless, spineless plodders. Yet we managed a draw against a team 2nd in the league, and are dismayed and not clinching the win. Ole must be a genius.

Widow

Vardy was the only player in the box yet nobody decided to pick him up. Not sure if it comes down to our lack of quality or coaching.

Go watch the goal again.

They did pick him up But nobody reacted (except Vardy) when the ball was played slightly back rather than across them.

Looks like a reaction time issue so quality rather than coaching

hobbers

So half our team are useless according to this thread,bunch of clueless, spineless plodders. Yet we managed a draw against a team 2nd in the league, and are dismayed and not clinching the win. Ole must be a genius.
Yeah it's this thing called ambition. We measure ourselves against the sides that are likely to compete for the title, not sides who probably wont even finish top four.

We're 15th in the table for goals conceded. Our defence has been absolutely pathetic this season.

acnumber9

Go watch the match again. Most of the balls to feet, he kept possession.

What’s the deal with trying to nitpick his performance mate, almost like you’ve another agenda.
He was below average in every area of the game. I don’t need to watch it again to know that. The bar some set for Martial is below what any sane person would.

Shimo

So frustrated. I know should look at the positive side that we have come far enough now that getting a point against LC away should not be scoffed at but, it really feels like this was a game that we should have won comfortably.

Maybe it's a new lesson we need to learn as we work becoming towards an actual title challenger, how to take absolute control of games. At 1-0, Bruno giving the ball the way he did is, then at 2-1, you've got Fred playing the ball for bloody Bruno to chase on the wing when keeping the ball would have been far easier and make them chase and then find the openings shows we don't yet know how to really kill a decent team. You take the stuffing out of them by controlling the ball at each of those points.

Away streak is gone - so now we need to make sure we keep the home win streak going against Wolves.

SoCross

He was below average in every area of the game. I don’t need to watch it again to know that. The bar some set for Martial is below what any sane person would.
I didn’t say he played well. I said he would have kept possession better than Rashford and that was demonstrated in the first half.

But thanks, will make sure to check into the lunatic asylum tomorrow then.

Handré1990

Disappointing to draw when we clearly could have won. Especially when Leicester ‘controlled’ the game as per the Caf experts, when we only missed 3 huge chances and Leicester scored without creating one great chance. Strange.

Red & White

Disappointing not to win but did anyone else get the feeling we’d end up conceding and drawing the game once we made it 2-1 with 10 to go? I’m enjoying the confidence going forward and seeing us score at least 2 goals in most games now but the fact of the matter is we concede too many goals at the moment to mount any serious challenge. It’s frustrating after years of trying to keep it tight and dire football going forward under previous managers.

However, we‘re actually getting some decent points on the board in these past two months and being disappointed with a draw away to the team currently in second place shows the expectations shift in recent weeks. This reminds me of last season when we started badly and then were disappointed whenever we didn’t win a game because we had left ourselves so much to do. Today’s result wouldn’t have seemed so bad had we not had such an awful start to the season and playing catch up on everyone.

6 points from Wolves and Villa would put us in a great position going into the new year!

FatherWolff

Should have won this easily. Don’t remember them creating much besides the goals, and even them was a bit soft. A few players below par, and to many personal mistakes. But not a bad game. Two points lost with how it developed, but we go again Tuesday.

Looking forward to what we do in the market! Surely there will be some movement in and out

acnumber9

I didn’t say he played well. I said he would have kept possession better than Rashford and that was demonstrated in the first half.

But thanks, will make sure to check into the lunatic asylum tomorrow then.
Martial played a total of 10 passes with a 50% success rate. Rashford played 17 with 76.5% success. Stats from Whoscored. Neither were particularly good but Martial was not keeping possession.

tjb

Are people just blindly being infuriated. That game was a tough game where I felt we were in control for most of the match despite leicester having possession. Very tight in midfield as Ndidi and Fred were amazing. We were "sloppy" because their midfield press was good and vice versa. The defence handled their attackers except from a few moments, and unfortunately they were more clinical than we were. Not disgusting, if you're going to draw, this is the type of game to do it

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It’ll be a decent point if we win the next two matches. I was frustrated by the way we chucked it away, but if you can’t win then don’t lose.

lex talionis

Are people just blindly being infuriated. That game was a tough game where I felt we were in control for most of the match despite leicester having possession. Very tight in midfield as Ndidi and Fred were amazing. We were "sloppy" because their midfield press was good and vice versa. The defence handled their attackers except from a few moments, and unfortunately they were more clinical than we were. Not disgusting, if you're going to draw, this is the type of game to do it
All true. The part that’s frustrating is the difference in the finishing between the two sides. We had multiple glorious chances and scored two, which is great, but we left at least another goal on the table. Leicester City had two scraps of chances and scored on both.

There are some positives to take away from this one, but we have to to improve our finishing of we’re going to dream of a title run.

OrcaFat

Leicester had more possession but we were slightly the better side. Draw seems fair. I remember SAF saying after a draw with Derby that it was a point nearer the title. Sometimes you have to settle for a point and not let it derail you.

Foxbatt

Vardy was the only player in the box yet nobody decided to pick him up. Not sure if it comes down to our lack of quality or coaching.
I would say its mostly to do with Bailly not playing for a long time and also the same with Axel. Lindelof for all his faults waves his arms about and attracts attention. I think we play better when he plays at CB.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 66% of 272 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw