g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 December 2020

Silverman

Disappointing result considering how the game played out but we are on the right track.

cyberman

Good point. Nobody is going to win every game and we are surprisingly hard to beat

MattofManchester

Poor game. No control in midfield. Attack still did a decent job and should have done more.

While Fred, McTominay is more solid.

Matic, VdB/Pogba and Bruno is much more composed. It's most certainly high risk and dangerous, but I'm merely comparing the different when we're on the ball, not off it.

The complete lack of composure and control on the ball we have when we play that duo is becoming laughable.

AshRK

Wish rodgers and his side show similar passion when they play Liverpool. It's so frustrating whenever he faces them he becomes their bitch. Overall a missed opportunity for us to stamp our authority.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Win and you are breathing in Liverpools neck, what we do? bottle it. Our manager will always be an underdog. Cant handle expectations and spotlight. The same happened in the Champions league.
I blame him for letting Leicester control the ball and we playing only on the counter. Embarrassing to play on the counter against every team in the league.
Because he was not interested in being proactive, he just wanted to counter, small team mentality.
You not an Ole fan?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
100% the opposite. Let’s forget glorious Rashford chance/Schmeichel save. Rashford absolutely should have scored on the free header.

There was no reasonable expectation that we’d dominate Leicester for 90 minutes. We exchanged runs of play but allowed them only two chances on goal, the second being on calamitous defending no doubt, and they scored on both.

We can dream of keeping clean sheets against top six clubs but that’s a huge ask. But we have to expect our forwards to convert on glorious chances. Not all chances, but certainly on the glorious chances. Neither of Leicester’s two goals were scored on glorious chances. That’s the story of this match.
If Rashford scores that header the whole game is entirely different.

We might have sat back, Leicester might have played better, its literally impossible to know.

Fact is we scored after our missed chances, and were poor afterwards both times...so if we had taken earlier chances there's nothing to suggest we'd have kept on creating and not just been poor like we were both times in this match.

Redbandito

His issue is the defence.
He has to invariably play to protect Maguire but Magure has to organise better and step up as Captain and I feel for the lad, because at top moments he gets out-foxed.

You need an intelligent CB to organise, and if that includes maguire fine, but Maguire time and again shows he doesn't have the elite acumen to do this vital role.
This is 100% not the issue. Awful take.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We were the better team, not a bad performance but we don't half have some dopey players. McTominay was poor for me. Shaw had an excellent game on the whole but he's very thick.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Played well. I m amazed at the work Rogers is doing at leceister. You could tell that the quality of our team was vastly superior, but he somehow made us play on even grounds.

Bruno is also ridiculously good and is one of the main reason why we are near the top.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
As bad as Rashford is just pure and utter nonsense and you know it.
Most counterparts in the league with that delivery, jump and no pressure would have at least got it on target 9 times on 10.

That statement, in my view, applies to both Rashford and Maguire. I don't understand why Maguire gets off the hook for a very fair criticism. His strength is his aerial ability, we sacrificed pace, agility and a lot of technical attributes because of it. And if he can't score from corners despite getting consistently great deliveries, should he not be called out for it. It was a horrendous miss.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Probably something to do with tactics I should imagine, even though some fans think Ole doesn’t know any and just says go and play
And the fact that Leeds give the opposition all the space in the world at times, especially when they break through their midfield.

We saw with McTom what he is and isn't capable of doing this year. Plus performance:Leeds, acres of space was given to him. Negative: away to Liepzig, get on him tight and he's usually ineffective.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Credit to Leicester, though. People are forgetting they're a very good team and are one of the leagues consistent performers at home against the top sides.
Really impressed with how tight their midfield was today.

Robindinho

*sigh* Disappointing in the end.

Going into the game, I’d have taken a point but not after going ahead with 10 minutes left.

Why do we do the stupid sit deep tactic? Just invites pressure and we literally always concede.
I get dropping off but no need to play with a back 8 like the shape we drop in to - Fred & McT sitting just ahead of the centre backs, with Pogba & Rashford effectively wing backs.

Also, never start James again - other than the Leeds game, he always ends up coming off early and it just wastes a sub. Could have just started Pogba today and then get the option of bringing on Greenwood/VdB.

Lee565

It's the same old issues with ole today, can't manage games well because we arent set up/coaches to control them, his love of anti football guys like lingard and now james and having a thing for being defensive minded when it comes the right back position

Danillaco

When Matic plays we play with him alone at CDM he can do the job but when we play McTominay or Fred we have to play them both, it's 2 players do a 1 man job because they aren't good enough to shield the defence alone.

Van De Beek, Pogba, Greenwood and Cavani cant get into this side whilst the likes of Dan James is starting? shambles
James as a starter again is what makes me angry. A very good display by Donny does not grant him a second game, but a James capable one does. Our rb had a cb in it, and we still play James. For what? Work rate?

Pogba, Donny, Cavani and Greenwood on the bench. That's number one bullshit.

Giggsyking

You not an Ole fan?
Not Ole the manager. The second time in the season when all the spotlights on us we crumble, he plays negative football and we get out of the CL or in this case cant get in an easy title race. Anyhow, I am tired of criticizing him, I Know he is here to stay to at least the end of the season. But if he fails to mount a title race this year then I cant see why he should stay. Top 4 should not be good enough to stay at the job.

Al Capone

We didn't defend well enough as team after going 2 1 up. Strikers passing responsibility on to midfield, midfield passing it in to defenders who just didn't seem to be up for it. They cut through us to get to the byline far to easy. Team selection also played a part, namely Dan James, totally ineffectual!

Giggsy13

Both goals conceded were avoidable, which makes this result frustrating. It’s not as if Leicester were brilliant or deserved the draw, we gifted it to them. Our back 4 is still the problem and will prevent any meaningful title challenge this season. Push for 80 points, which should have us finish 2nd or 3rd and win a trophy. If the owners had any sense they’d see we’re close and back Ole with a defender this January.

mav_9me

See that's the issue. Two three chances from moments here and there and our fans are satisfied. Our passing was wank today. Our possession play was terrible. If we merely focus on these things alone we will get nowhere. It's time to focus on excellence. Good finishing and bad finishing will come and go. The quality of the collective is what matters imo
I guess it depends on your expectations. Where I see us is this is the best we have been since SAF. Away to a good Leicester city team, they didn't have a sniff imo. While we created 4 clear cut chances.

Now we are nowhere as good as this Liverpool team or like Bayern. So I'm not disappointed at this level.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not good enough, traditional two goals conceded in a league game is almost mandatory occurance. Doubt winter window can fix that problem as a whole, but Ole & Ed need to work together in upcoming weeks and try to optimise the squad anyway, no matter the circumstances.

Still having faith while it's not even half of the season, but keeping in mind there's tons of things to work on. Set of cramped fixtures still ahead.

rooney2009

It seems that we James and Martial are the new scapegoats for this place
It was Lingard an Young before
We should not have to score 3 goals to win a game all the time
A draw is not a bad result but we should have won the game
We just seem to concede cheap goals all the time

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Watching United in possession is like watching someone passing a live grenade between colleagues. From the attack, to midfield to defence and to the GK , they just dont want the ball.

Ball possession is just so sh*te with us.

BestRed

Really frustrating not getting the win after Brunos late goal, but end of the day not the worst result, take it & move on.

Redbandito

It's true. Our defence routinely get out-thought at key moments.
To compound this, we have to invariably play with extra defensive midfield shapes.

That acumen at the highest level is missing at crucial times.
Thats not the issue I took with your post. Laying this at the feet of Maguire is simply poor...at least for today. Nobody is having to overcompensate for Maguire. Bailly was terrible all game and Tuanzebe at RB is a disaster. The second goal happened because those two didn’t sort out Vardy on the back post. That, in no way, involved Maguire who rightly focused on the play in front of him at the near post.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Shades of the Chelsea game at OT where James was again in the starting line-up. We wanted them to have the ball and we planned to win the game by outrunning them but, just like Chelsea, they didn't feel obliged to do us the favour.

It's a credit to this team and the manager that most of our opponents, even Pep, are being more cautious than ever against us. On the other hand, composure and control of the ball in the middle of the park remains an issue with this midfield partnership. But we're also too open against teams that can actually hurt us when we utilize Matic-Pogba there. Starting James doesn't help either.

I believe that we saw some positive reaction from the bench today. Both the Pogba and the Cavani subs are clear indications that we wanted to try and leave the pitch with all three points. Some will blame the defence, some will blame Rashford and Martial's inconsistency and while there is truth in those remarks, i feel that Lindelof's injury cost us today. We were forced to use 1/3 subs for non-tactical reasons at a point where we wanted to change the course of game. By the time we went 2-1 up, our system looked like an open 442-ish tactic with Pogba-Rashford on the wings and Bruno playing very close to Cavani. When Leicester had to chase a goal, we struggled to cope and if we could just throw VdB to seal up the spaces in the midfield, it would probably have been a job well done. Bring on the next one.

Last edited:

bsCallout

One goal was an OG, the other a screamer. We dropped points because we were let down up front, not in defence.
Both Bailly and McT were not good enough defensively for the first. Maguire also making a mess of the first clearance.

The second we were already a goal up and our left back was well out of position, and Bailly and Tuanzabe didnt track either the ball or Vardy.

Scoring two goals should be enough to win a game.

Icemav

I’m not too upset by that. We’re still a work in progress and I think we clearly know where our issues are.
my main concern is I just don’t think we can afford to leave quality players on the bench and start some that are there to “do a job”. If we’re aiming to win a league title, Cavani, for instance, needs to start every game he’s fit enough for. Having him, Greenwood, Pogba etc on the bench and starting the likes of Dan James, McTominay etc is criminal.
This was not a game for James. Would rather have rested Bruno for a half.

lex talionis

If Rashford scores that header the whole game is entirely different.

We might have sat back, Leicester might have played better, its literally impossible to know.

Fact is we scored after our missed chances, and were poor afterwards both times...so if we had taken earlier chances there's nothing to suggest we'd have kept on creating and not just been poor like we were both times in this match.
I can’t have that argument, which essentially comes down to the claim that if we successfully take our chances early that we won’t create any more, or at least too few, chances thereafter.

That would be a true statement if Jose were the manager. But scoring on a free header at whatever point in the match is always preferable to being wasteful on such chances. If this were not the case, that it’s better to be wasteful on chances early in the game in order to enable us to create chances later in the game, we run the very real risk of not scoring on chances later in the game as well and having to settle for the draw, as was the case today.

Besides, the counterfactual claim that had Rashford scored early on the free header would have deprived us of chances later in the game is belied by the experience of our previous league match when we scored early and went on to create more chances.

Judas

Open to offers
It seems that we James and Martial are the new scapegoats for this place
It was Lingard an Young before
We should not have to score 3 goals to win a game all the time
A draw is not a bad result but we should have won the game
We just seem to concede cheap goals all the time
Pointing out that our striker had a poor game again isn't making him a scapegoat.

Pointing out that James wasn't suited to the game and often just simply looks a bit out of his depth isn't making him a scapegoat.

reelworld

The "x position at Christmas" is abit misleading tbh. Because we started the season much later, we only played 14 matches, instead near half a season.
But that's also means we still have more matches to go. I don't think Liverpool will be runaway winners like last time.
There'll be more twist further into the season

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 66% of 272 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win