PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 11 May 2021

StBruno

It’s a shame really because it was totally winnable. Vardy never had more than half a sniff. Iheanacho the same. First goal - he won’t bag another like that in his career . Second goal - our old weakness but shouldn’t have been subbing when defending a corner.
We could easily have won.
I understand all the Liverpool stuff ; but I just try to concentrate on us.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sort of agree , but when you consider that most (7-8) of these players are considered as challenging for starting 11, then regardless of result, the performance was mediocre.
Oh yeah, our squad depth is non existent. Our fans have the tendency to mistake the fact we pay a lot for players as a sign that we have a lot of quality. It's nothing of the sort. We just overpay for the wrong players with remarkable consistency.

jesperjaap

Agree on Telles, he's good going forward, new-style wing back in that sense, good on throw-ins and set pieces but weaker than Brandon defensively, and Shaw's currently well ahead of both.
I had not seen much of Telles at Porto. Was he much better there or yet another overhyped player abroad though? He is a decent full back but looks little more apart from a good ability crossing from his season with us. Still, if he is happy here within the squad he is definately a good squad player

lex talionis

Considering all the circumstances going into the game, we got a solid set of performance from players at the beginning or end of their careers who needed the minutes and actually the result we should want, which is to put the boot on the neck of the scouse.

All moaning is completely out of order.

meamth

Media and opposition fans bashing United for that 2nd team.

:lol:

What do they want? 7 united players got muscle injuries and then proceed to bash Ole for not resting the players?

We can never win.

always_hoping

Ole said it should have been a throw in instead of a corner on that 2nd Leicester goal.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Next season we must target maximum points against them, they must be punished for their insolence towards us this season. They will feel the pain after a hard spanking by us :devil::mad::mad:

tjb

Very weird game really. Felt nothing watching it due to the team we put out.

Greenwood is class.

VDB makes me feel sad.
A lot was learnt actually.

Greenwood showed in simply his leadership, poise and aggressively play that he's coming pretty soon. His movement dropping deep, trying to connect play was the only reason we did anything offensively in the first half. Martial has never taken that level of responsibility in his time here as a 9.

Amad and Elanga had good flashes.They didn't really have the support to take over the game and as youngsters, it should not have been expected that they'd dominate on the counter against a team like Leicester, especially with how poor our build up was.

VDB was terrible again and Matic showed that despite his technical skills, he doesn't have the legs to cover the ground necessary to dominate any team at this level. Add that to Mata's usual lack of presence in the no.10 position and we had a ghost midfield. It showed that midfield should be the most important area of focus for us in the transfer market. At the very least having Garner and Mctominay as depth ( Pogba's a left midfielder now) would be much better than this.

Williams is not a Utd player, not even as a back up. We need someone at least more experienced than this for cover.

Tuanzebe again showed why getting a centre back is another necessity.

All in all, it showed that we have serious depth issues in the squad that can only be fixed through the market, we at least need 2 players coming in to challenge City. Even if we don't have the funds for another attacker, we need a CDM and Centre back.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He did lose Tielmans run totally for the first goal to be fair. Apart from that I thought he played well. As another poster mentioned, he seemed to literally be our midfield today. I thought defensively VDB contributed nothing, was sloppy most of the time going forward and the ball almost seemed like a grenade, he almost looked scared to try anything other than passing the ball 5yards sideways most of the match.

All entitled to opinions, whether or not people think Matic played well or not....the worst player on th epitch comment to me at least it completely ludicrous
I agree with your sentiments. VdB doesn’t look like a Utd player still from what I’ve seen so far. He looks scared of the ball. I’m willing to give him another season, because I’ve always been patient, especially with players who have shown elsewhere that they have what it takes, but he has to shown much more mental toughness.

USREDEVIL

Liverpool are right. We should be taking all games seriously. Lesson learned. Next game we will be sure to put out our best side.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What's that, Simon, you don't like people not sharing your opinion?
I have no issue with dissenting opinions. It’s what makes any conversation platform worth its salt. You seem to think I am solely calling you out. I’m not. I have had, and likely always will, an issue with the egregious level of nonsense and knee jerkery on display in match day threads. It’s always been this way. There are legions of posters who will declare a player useless, in much more toxic language, only to sing his praises 5 minutes later when he scores a goal or makes a valuable contribution. It’s as though some people have the intention span of a small insect.

I really haven’t given your posts any more thought than what I engaged in replying to you.

The most frequent target is Rashford, who comes in for cynical abuse from our “fans” every time he makes a mistake. I’m really of the opinion that many of these so called fans have little grasp on the realities of football and can’t see beyond the end of their own, mouth frothing, indignation to see any contextual factors in a players performance, or the bigger picture. It’s much the same when assessing Ole. He’s only ever as good as his last 45 mins in those people’s eyes. It’s the “must have it all now” generation at work.

I didn’t agree with your opinion on Matic today, but it didn’t particularly bother me either because you expressed it in a reasonable fashion, with supporting evidence for your conclusion. Even if I didn’t concur, I respected the opinion. But there are a lot of other opinions I’ve read and absorbed that have driven me to make that post. But then again, I say that nearly every week, and still read the match day threads. So the joke is clearly on me, because doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result, is the definition of insanity.

The match day thread, and often the post match thread, can be extremely toxic and without much meaningful or rational discussion.

Last edited:

Roosney

A huge silver lining this result if it helps Pool drop out of top 4.
Basically we fielded a Carabao Cup team so can't be mad we lost really.

Blood Mage

Sad to see Mata so over the hill, he was such a classy player in his prime but surely this must be his last season with us. Also Diallo and Elanaga are nowhere near ready yet.

MikeeMike

Oh yeah, our squad depth is non existent. Our fans have the tendency to mistake the fact we pay a lot for players as a sign that we have a lot of quality. It's nothing of the sort. We just overpay for the wrong players with remarkable consistency.
Well nearly half those starting players came through ranks so £0
Mata / Matic should still have it in them to dictate that game.

Nothing to do with overspend on starting lineup.

I was just sad at the poor display.

croadyman

A lot was learnt actually.

Greenwood showed in simply his leadership, poise and aggressively play that he's coming pretty soon. His movement dropping deep, trying to connect play was the only reason we did anything offensively in the first half. Martial has never taken that level of responsibility in his time here as a 9.

Amad and Elanga had good flashes.They didn't really have the support to take over the game and as youngsters, it should not have been expected that they'd dominate on the counter against a team like Leicester, especially with how poor our build up was.

VDB was terrible again and Matic showed that despite his technical skills, he doesn't have the legs to cover the ground necessary to dominate any team at this level. Add that to Mata's usual lack of presence in the no.10 position and we had a ghost midfield. It showed that midfield should be the most important area of focus for us in the transfer market. At the very least having Garner and Mctominay as depth ( Pogba's a left midfielder now) would be much better than this.

Williams is not a Utd player, not even as a back up. We need someone at least more experienced than this for cover.

Tuanzebe again showed why getting a centre back is another necessity.

All in all, it showed that we have serious depth issues in the squad that can only be fixed through the market, we at least need 2 players coming in to challenge City. Even if we don't have the funds for another attacker, we need a CDM and Centre back.
Yeah badly need to sign some quality in those last two positions

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Today proved that if we do end up buying a RW and keep Pogba, Martial will struggle to get games next season. Martial is behind Greenwood now.

Plus we need to buy a RB. Can't rely on Williams

hobbers

The game was definitely winnable. Not taking off Mata or Matic was criminally shit management, unless Ole was deliberately doing it because he wanted Leicester to win.

Everyone, including the players out on the pitch, could see how little they were able to contribute to the game in the second half. Basically the same as playing a man down in defense and a man down in attack.

Hopefully they're both gone next season, because their ability to contribute anything useful, even as squad players who get 15 appearances a season, is near zero.

Not really related. But I noticed today that when I googled Man Utd to see kickoff time the usual Google front of page box that gives previous and future fixtures as well as other details and button for league table seemed to omit premier league fixtures and also no longer gives access to the league table.
Tested it on clubs not in Europe this season and they no longer have a dedicated Google box.
Has something happened between Google and the premier league?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The game was definitely winnable. Not taking off Mata or Matic was criminally shit management, unless Ole was deliberately doing it because he wanted Leicester to win.

Everyone, including the players out on the pitch, could see how little they were able to contribute to the game in the second half. Basically the same as playing a man down in defense and a man down in attack.

Hopefully they're both gone next season, because their ability to contribute anything useful, even as squad players who get 15 appearances a season, is near zero.
I would rather those spots were just given to the best younger players we can find. I understand the need for some older players to provide balance but not at the cost of performance. Matic and Mata wouldn’t get near the rotation of any other top team and they aren’t cheap. Hopefully one or even both are phased out this summer. Nice guys it seems. Seria A maybe?

Withnail

Not really related. But I noticed today that when I googled Man Utd to see kickoff time the usual Google front of page box that gives previous and future fixtures as well as other details and button for league table seemed to omit premier league fixtures and also no longer gives access to the league table.
Tested it on clubs not in Europe this season and they no longer have a dedicated Google box.
Has something happened between Google and the premier league?
I noticed that too but I thought my browser on my phone was nackered.

Last edited:
I noticed that too but I thought my browser on my phone was nackered.
Hope it’s not a permanent thing because that was something that was so time saving and made it easy to access current, past and future information . But have a feeling official league sites might have complained as it seems to only be effecting a few leagues and not UEFA completions.

cyril C

Maybe one or 2 away from a serious starting line up
It was all change yesterday and it showed more than 1-2 away. Yes we will be "perfect" for a Best 11 with 1-2 new addition, but example from City and Liverpool demonstrated the fact that, to seriously challenge for Top prize, you need a bigger squad, useful squad. 4-5 Squad players that can come in and play a part, allowing your Best 11 to rest or recover.

Can you see Mata, VDB being adequate cover? Even Lingard could be a lot useful. Can you see Tuanzebe being a capable cover? Out of the field 10 players, I only see Greenwood, Telles, Bailly, Matic, being capable but not ready to challenge for regular starting (11), Amad and Elanga still 2 season away from being ready as backup. Tuanzebe and Williams are joke. VDB - can't believe his ex-whatever were fighting for his starting opportunity. DO you honestly see his performance good enough for Leeds?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Three big mistakes Ole made that may have cost us the game

1 .Playing Mata. He was horrible, useless, absolute empty space. Even Ethan Galbraith would have been a better choice
2. Making a substitution right before Leicester's corner
3. Taking Amad off to bring Bruno, instead of taking fecking Mata off the field

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

It was all change yesterday and it showed more than 1-2 away. Yes we will be "perfect" for a Best 11 with 1-2 new addition, but example from City and Liverpool demonstrated the fact that, to seriously challenge for Top prize, you need a bigger squad, useful squad. 4-5 Squad players that can come in and play a part, allowing your Best 11 to rest or recover.

Can you see Mata, VDB being adequate cover? Even Lingard could be a lot useful. Can you see Tuanzebe being a capable cover? Out of the field 10 players, I only see Greenwood, Telles, Bailly, Matic, being capable but not ready to challenge for regular starting (11), Amad and Elanga still 2 season away from being ready as backup. Tuanzebe and Williams are joke. VDB - can't believe his ex-whatever were fighting for his starting opportunity. DO you honestly see his performance good enough for Leeds?
If we can add 2 to the starting line up it will give us a deeper squad.

We already have a deeper squad than Liverpool. City is an entirely different matter that may take 2 or 3 seasons

Tallis

I think we did well in the first half. There was a 20 minute period where we dominated possession. In fact, I think we had 51% possession in the first half.

The problem was that most of our team haven’t played much football at this level for some time so ran out of steam in the 2nd half. VDB, Matic and others were all giving away the ball in 2nd half when they have been reasonably tidy in 1st.

My summary:

- I thought Axel did well in the circumstances. He defended well but gave away the ball few times and had poor distribution. Just a little rusty. I thought Bailly was very poor.

- Telles did ok too.

- Loved Amad s workrate and defensive contributions. He nicked the ball many times.

- Mata is almost non existent when we don’t have the ball.

- What a goal by Mason.

Longshanks

Thought the youngsters did ok, although I think elanga showed he's not quite ready for this level yet.

We did well enough defensively, with tuanzebe having a good game and showing lots of composure.

That midfield though, Matic endlessly giving the ball away and a non existent V.D.B. Matic also playing a part in both goals against us. We were getting hemmed in under the kosh just before there second goal and desperately needed someone in midfield to take responsibility and V.D.B dissaperaered and Matic well see above.

Greenwood impressed me though showed fight, grit and quality in the number 9 posistion, looks like cavani is rubbing off.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Its not the right game to judge any player, apart from the the obvious things like Mata being past it and not good enough there is nothing much to see.

This is completely different side and they barely played together. Leicester are good team so it was very harsh on players to be ins sync with each other.

bsCallout

Yes that makes about as much sense as your comment of the worst player on the pitch, dont give up the day job....if there is one
And yours made sense? :lol: You must have misread. I said Matic was the worst, which was correct.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thought the youngsters did ok, although I think elanga showed he's not quite ready for this level yet.

We did well enough defensively, with tuanzebe having a good game and showing lots of composure.

That midfield though, Matic endlessly giving the ball away and a non existent V.D.B. Matic also playing a part in both goals against us. We were getting hemmed in under the kosh just before there second goal and desperately needed someone in midfield to take responsibility and V.D.B dissaperaered and Matic well see above.

Greenwood impressed me though showed fight, grit and quality in the number 9 posistion, looks like cavani is rubbing off.
Elanga will only get better with experience. If we buy another wide forward we will go into games with a choice of Martial, Rash, Cavani, Amad, Greenwood and possibly Sancho. Elanga isn’t going to dislodge any of them yet. Without playing time at this level how does he improve? Loan?

Matic was fine in the first half but the legs went in the second and along with a slow Mata we were never going to match their midfield. What we did learn is that Axel is quite capable but probably needs a good organiser/ leader next to him; Bailly isn’t that player.

bsCallout

I have no issue with dissenting opinions. It’s what makes any conversation platform worth its salt. You seem to think I am solely calling you out. I’m not. I have had, and likely always will, an issue with the egregious level of nonsense and knee jerkery on display in match day threads. It’s always been this way. There are legions of posters who will declare a player useless, in much more toxic language, only to sing his praises 5 minutes later when he scores a goal or makes a valuable contribution. It’s as though some people have the intention span of a small insect.

I really haven’t given your posts any more thought than what I engaged in replying to you.

The most frequent target is Rashford, who comes in for cynical abuse from our “fans” every time he makes a mistake. I’m really of the opinion that many of these so called fans have little grasp on the realities of football and can’t see beyond the end of their own, mouth frothing, indignation to see any contextual factors in a players performance, or the bigger picture. It’s much the same when assessing Ole. He’s only ever as good as his last 45 mins in those people’s eyes. It’s the “must have it all now” generation at work.

I didn’t agree with your opinion on Matic today, but it didn’t particularly bother me either because you expressed it in a reasonable fashion, with supporting evidence for your conclusion. Even if I didn’t concur, I respected the opinion. But there are a lot of other opinions I’ve read and absorbed that have driven me to make that post. But then again, I say that nearly every week, and still read the match day threads. So the joke is clearly on me, because doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result, is the definition of insanity.

The match day thread, and often the post match thread, can be extremely toxic and without much meaningful or rational discussion.
Fair enough, I assumed it was directed at me based on two of your prior responses. I agree, particularly regarding Rashford.

If you look at my posting history you'll notice I waste most of my time in the match day thread defending players because of the hyperbole.

I just felt as the senior player Matic really let the team down so was uncharacteristically critical of him last night.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Three big mistakes Ole made that may have cost us the game

1 .Playing Mata. He was horrible, useless, absolute empty space. Even Ethan Galbraith would have been a better choice
2. Making a substitution right before Leicester's corner
3. Taking Amad off to bring Bruno, instead of taking fecking Mata off the field
Ole didn’t make any mistakes. The FA ensured we played a second string that had precious little playing time and no rhythm.

UpWithRivers

We were fine until Ndidi and Tielmans upped a gear and started dominating the midfield. The mistake was not bringing on McTominay for Mata and go with a 3 man midfield. I thought we did really well considering. Yes we gave the ball away endlessly and made mistakes. But what do you expect.

MinGin

But the point is that none (0) of these players are actually considered part of our starting 11. Against one of the best teams in the league, who are desperately fighting for a result. When we had nothing to play for at all. Which makes the game (and performance) completely meaningless and nothing to worry about.

If anything, the fact we more than matched them for 45 minutes is encouraging.
This is a meaningful game to show that how poor of our bench XI quantity as comparing with ManCity Bench XI when the team want to compete a season long league title.
This is also a meaningful game to explain one of the reason why Ole's late substitution because this game was shown that our bench are not good enough to be a X factor to change the game performance.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
This is completely different side and they barely played together. Leicester are good team so it was very harsh on players to be ins sync with each other.
First half of a season we are, after that we seem to be running on fumes. I don't know what the issue is, injuries certainly haven't helped last season or this.

I'm starting to wonder about the training and conditioning, since Rodgers came in we've had a silly amount of injuries and look like we're running through treacle towards the end of each season.

Ricardo, Maddison, Ndidi, Vardy have all been struggling massively since coming back from injury, Castagne took most of the season to get back up to any sort of speed. Then we're missing Barnes and Justin, two players who would have been 1 and 2 in our player of the season voting.

Rodgers also overthinks things and makes odd decisions, he's changed formation because of injuries and it's not working. But he will not shift from it no matter how woefully we're playing. He's a decent manager, but I think it will stop him from ever being a great manager.

Hoping we limp over the line this season and it will be a monkey off the back then after last seasons drop off.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 1:1 Leicester
  • 17% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester