PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 11 May 2021

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'd have preferred to see us go for it in the first half with all out attack and then change it at half time and bring in some changes - though ten seemed a tad excessive.
How is it excessive when we're playing 4 games in 8 after literally the most gruelling season ever?

And it's not at the start but at the end as well when it was perfectly avoidable. I am sure Liverpool wish they accommodated our schedule now.

I also think we would not have done well going all-out attack. LCFC are too solid a team. We lost 3-1 against them a few weeks back with our first team.

My prediction was 1-1 and we were looking good until zonal marking killed us again.

The United

Would be pretty shiity if we lose against pool and Leicester still finishes out of top 4.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You're just on repeat when it comes to Rashford. At least add something else to the discussions.
I'm no Rashy moaner, but he can rarely have had a 20min spell as pointless as that one.
We'll forgive him on Thursday when it matters.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If we draw or lose to Liverpool on Thursday, they are odds on favourites to knock Leicester out of the top 4.
I'm going to turn into Leicester's biggest fan next week.
Not sure you quite understand the phrase odds on.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Fair comment. They should be aggrieved.
But it's not our fault, it's the leagues. Well, it's actually that mob's fault, but anyway, unlucky Liverpool :)
I would also like to extend my sympathies to Liverpool for this gross injustice.

croadyman

Just irritates me hearing the Pep-worship from the broadcasters. Almost as if they are were desperate for Utd to lose a game so they can eulogize about City again.
Yeah Lescott being there was the prime example of that, sensible of him not to rub Rio's nose in it either mind you that presenter was loving us getting beat no doubt about it

Devil may care

I hate losing but it was good to see some underused players get a good run out as well as a couple of youngsters.

Crustanoid

It's a bit premature to celebrate the scousers missing out on a CL place.
Liverpool are not out of it yet.
Their other 3 games are against WBA, Burnley and Palace, which they can win to reach 66 points.
So we MUST beat Liverpool AND Leicester MUST get 1 point out of their two remaining fixtures.

Leicester's last 2 are away to Chelsea and home to Spurs.
They could easily lose both.

If we draw or lose to Liverpool on Thursday, they are odds on favourites to knock Leicester out of the top 4.
Nobody’s celebrating. We have to beat them Thursday and then yes, I’ll be getting a halfy-half United Leicester scarf

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Very weird game really. Felt nothing watching it due to the team we put out.

Greenwood is class.

VDB makes me feel sad.
VDB in the right lineup is probably an exceptional part of a pass and move outfit. For us, he just looks like a pass it back to whoever he got it from merchant.

Was a signing seemingly protecting us if Pogba left. But even when Pogba is out he's barely got a look in, and it's hard to see how we ever planned on playing him and Bruno in the same lineup.

For all the "squad" strengthening talk, I'm not sure it's done that at all, and it's just used up 35m we could have put towards a big target.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Couldn't watch in full but what little I saw I was quite pleased given the makeshift lineup. Good experience for some, good chance to assess others we haven't seen much of.

Would have rather drawn but meh.

Gator Nate

It's a bit premature to celebrate the scousers missing out on a CL place.
Liverpool are not out of it yet.
Their other 3 games are against WBA, Burnley and Palace, which they can win to reach 66 points.
So we MUST beat Liverpool AND Leicester MUST get 1 point out of their two remaining fixtures.

Leicester's last 2 are away to Chelsea and home to Spurs.
They could easily lose both.

Chelsea are in great form, but Leicester should get AT LEAST one point off Spurs.

And Pool have shown themselves perfectly capable of dropping points to Burnley and/or Palace.

SirtheIcarium

Thought the two young lads, Elanga and Amad did well.

It was a strange game, I burst out laughing when I seen the team, but once the game started, I couldn't help but want to win.

At the end, I wasn't as bothered as I normally would be by a loss, but the Leicester players dropping to their knees at the end like they just beat the 1970 Brazil team irked me

Reactions: Solius

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As long as they ruck off out of it for Thursday.
I think there’ll be a lot of fans there protesting but I don’t think they’ll try and stop the busses this time… I’m certain they can see the pressure it’s put the squad under and they should know it’ll leave a bad taste. if it messes with the EL prep it would be a step in the wrong direction when the major message to the owners has already been sent. we need to pull together and support the team to the EL!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Fair comment. They should be aggrieved.
But it's not our fault, it's the leagues. Well, it's actually that mob's fault, but anyway, unlucky Liverpool :)
We decide when Liverpool play CL.

RedIan

Crap game, exactly what was expected with 10 changes. I thought matic was our best player with greenwood but hes getting stick?
We need some better squad players for sure. VDB should be sold and recoup cash.

Gator Nate

So, let's analyze:

Greenwood - fairly regular starter at this point, arguably one of the strongest 3 forwards at the club
De Gea - starter first half of the season, EL knockout stage keeper that got us into the finals so far
Bailly - first backup CB, not infrequent starter when healthy
Telles - backup RB, has started in tourneys and league
Williams - backup LB, was frequently starting RB a year ago
Tuanzebe - second backup CB, but versatile across the entire back line
Matic - first backup in the pivot, not infrequent starter
VdB - has started a few, frequent-ish sub
Mata - until this year, frequent sub and tourney starter
Amad - first PL start, subbed in a few, potential phenom (and got the assist)
Elanga - first PL match, but Ole's blooded more than a few in his 2 1/2 years here

Sure it's not the first string, but most have the credentials and no one bats an eye when they make an appearance. Put 'em all on the field at once and people lose their minds...

foolsgold

Result doesn't really matter.

Some positives, another good game and goal for Greenwood, Amad showed some nice touches and potential. Both the centre halfs needed a game and got through well.

Negative, Donny just doesn't look right at all. I paid a lot of attention to him, and the team often passed around him in the first half, his positioning is wrong, doesn't seem to understand the system.

Mata is finished at the top level, but everyone knows this. Presume he leaves at the end of the season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Crap game, exactly what was expected with 10 changes. I thought matic was our best player with greenwood but hes getting stick?
We need some better squad players for sure. VDB should be sold and recoup cash.
There's always a chance VDB is one of those comes on well second season players, like Fred, but you just can't see where he'd fit into the lineup.
Fred and McTom for all their stick, don't half get around and win the ball. VDB can't do that, and he can't pass like a Pogba either.

He either plays where Bruno does or not at all. And unfortunately, not at all is the best call.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So, let's analyze:

Greenwood - fairly regular starter at this point, arguably one of the strongest 3 forwards at the club
De Gea - starter first half of the season, EL knockout stage keeper that got us into the finals so far
Bailly - first backup CB, not infrequent starter when healthy
Telles - backup RB, has started in tourneys and league
Williams - backup LB, was frequently starting RB a year ago
Tuanzebe - second backup CB, but versatile across the entire back line
Matic - first backup in the pivot, not infrequent starter
VdB - has started a few, frequent-ish sub
Mata - until this year, frequent sub and tourney starter
Amad - first PL start, subbed in a few, potential phenom (and got the assist)
Elanga - first PL match, but Ole's blooded more than a few in his 2 1/2 years here

Sure it's not the first string, but most have the credentials and no one bats an eye when they make an appearance. Put 'em all on the field at once and people lose their minds...
Yep, against most of the league that team wouldn't even have lost.
Against a top 4 team it was only a narrow loss.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It went better than expected, really. Another goal for Greenwood. This is one result that fans can’t complain about.

Liverpool is now effectively the last game of the season before resting up for the final. A win on Thursday and the week will have gone as well as it was ever going to.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Really hope we beat Liverpool now even more. Otherwise we'll become a bit of a meme for a week.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
How is it excessive when we're playing 4 games in 8 after literally the most gruelling season ever?

And it's not at the start but at the end as well when it was perfectly avoidable. I am sure Liverpool wish they accommodated our schedule now.

I also think we would not have done well going all-out attack. LCFC are too solid a team. We lost 3-1 against them a few weeks back with our first team.

My prediction was 1-1 and we were looking good until zonal marking killed us again.
Too often we've lost games with wholesale changes, so it always makes me nervous. I'm guessing that Ole will have chosen that team in advance and had them training together but teams usually take time to gel. We had good players out tonight, but probably not the best team.

I see your point though

MikeeMike

I guess, given the starting line up, we can't have expected much more than that.
Sort of agree , but when you consider that most (7-8) of these players are considered as challenging for starting 11, then regardless of result, the performance was mediocre.

redmanx

Very weird game really. Felt nothing watching it due to the team we put out.

Greenwood is class.

VDB makes me feel sad.
Me too, again he had the chance to show what he could do on centre stage but fluffed it. Hes had his chances, time for him to go I think,

theklr

City’s B-side almost/should have won over Chelsea. There is abit more work to be done with the squad, yeah.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sort of agree , but when you consider that most (7-8) of these players are considered as challenging for starting 11, then regardless of result, the performance was mediocre.
But the point is that none (0) of these players are actually considered part of our starting 11. Against one of the best teams in the league, who are desperately fighting for a result. When we had nothing to play for at all. Which makes the game (and performance) completely meaningless and nothing to worry about.

If anything, the fact we more than matched them for 45 minutes is encouraging.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Fun to watch the youngsters, but my god Mata and VdB were useless and cost us that game. We couldn't progress the ball at all with those two, show's how important Pogba and Bruno are as we probably win that one even with the teenage attackers if our midfield is better. Greenwood I thought looked fantastic getting to play through the middle alongside two energetic forwards, Elanga made some great runs that Telles refused to play (he was also terrible), and Amad is special on the ball.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 1:1 Leicester
  • 17% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester