PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 February 2023

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
3 points off City who would have thought it possible end of September. What a bloody season so far

Ceteris

Why are some people saying we'd be nowhere without Rashford? Is he not a Manchester United player?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What a brilliant second half. Such a fun watch.

King Eric 7

Was worried about this game with the form Leicester are in and the fixture congestion plus no Casemiro. But here we are with three points after another great performance by the team.

krazyrobus

Dalot back to playing his standard after some shaky matches in his comeback.

Lindelof was aggressive, first time I can recall seeing that, he needs to keep it going.

Hopefully we never have to see a Fred-Sabitzer partnership again, it does not work

Mctom surprised me by being better on the ball than I can recall. I guess being 2-0 up will do that.

Garnacho is just not ready to start games, bring him off the bench

What a shaky 1st 30 minutes we had, DDG had to make 3 good saves.

RELEASE THE CASEMIRO!

Trouserjazz

That second half was as dominant as I've seen us post Fergie.

Amazing to think that we did that without our first choice centre midfield pairing, right winger, striker and one of our first choice centre backs.

A world class striker and midfielder and the squad will be strong enough to compete on all fronts next season.

RuudTom83

Beginning to purr now...EtH has them all focused.

Next 2 games are so important.

C'mon United :devil:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Very very good today. We looked dodgy first half but when a manager and a team make such a profound improvement to their performance after half time you've got to admire it. They ran us ragged, had chances and could count themselves unlucky to be 1-0 down, then we turned the tables and absolutely punished them second half. Brilliant, now onto the cup games.

TheGodsInRed

Leicester played way too of a high line, similar to the Barca game, we pressed well and won the ball high up the pitch making the transitions very dangerous.

GregM40

Shocker in the first 30 minutes, De Gea at his best. Second half, Sancho completely changed the game, we looked like scoring at will, and should have had a couple of more atleast. Feel bad for Weghorst, he’s gotta bury some of these chances, but clearly having a good impact on the team and creating space for Rashford and co.

Buzzing with the result, had banana skin written all over it. Bring on Barcelona!

wangyu

If we repeat the first 20 minutes on Thursday then it is game over. That would be a shame.

SB16

Sancho was amazing after coming on - a sensational second half from the team generally.
Leicester also opting not to defend after half time helped.

Savlehest

I simple love seeing Sancho play. We have all read his recent struggles, and to see him play like that really makes me happy.

Anybody got Weghorst aerial stats? Can’t get why he loses so many duels. Everybody tried to set him up for a goal, nice team spirit, but he just couldn’t get it in. Hopefully he will make the winner against Newcastle!

kidbob

Second half is the best I've seen us play in a long time. Complete dominance against a good Leicester side.

glasgow 21

Happy weekend, pity Villa couldn't finish the job on Arsenal but a great weekend all the same for United. Times are good so glad we got Ten Hag. We have players who can operate in multiple positions and our entertaining style is back. The players look so happy now.

MonkeysMagic

Was not expecting the second half after what had gone on in the first 45. Its a footballing cliche but having Sancho back is really like a new signing!

Some of the interplay was fabulous and so easy on the eye, credit to the players and ETH. But we just have to keep going as games are coming thick and fast with little recovery time. The squad is going to be very important so good to see the fringe players get match time.

Lyng

Great match. How much we are transformed under Ten Hag never ceases to amaze me

quadrant

Very happy with that. Leicester played great first half, but we got our noses in front and from there eventually dominated. 3-0 against Leicester looks like it might have been a stroll, but we had to play well to get it over the line.

We're really starting to look like a dominant team. When you consider the amount of quality we're missing, and the fact that the squad is far from complete, it's even more impressive.

Sad that Weghurst couldn't get a goal to reward his good play. Thought he was excellent, his best game yet for us. He just lacks that yard of pace which means he'll always be in a slightly poorer position to take chances.

Sancho looked really good today, which is a big positive. Bruno was great out right, which is another positive in terms of formation options. De Gea dusted off a couple of classic saves.

As for ETH - feel like he can do no wrong. Every time he tries a new formation or moves a player you don't expect, it works a treat. The attitude and resilience when the flow of the game is going against us is wonderful.

Not all sunshine though. Fred - what can you say? Sublime to the ridiculous, every game. If he's not slipping in Rashford for a lovely assist, he's giving the ball away cheaply to set up the opposition. I know any player will benefit from playing alongside Casemiro, but I think it's essential for Fred. It lets him cause the right kind of havoc. Lindelof looked rusty for a while, and I'd like a bit more from Sabitzer (apart from knee high challenges. Less of those please).

The biggest downside is the lack of goals. Three is obviously very welcome, but bagging five today was possible and would have been a big boost for the coming week. Still, we're in good shape at the mo, just at the right time.

Reactions: Raoul

Lee565

Considering we played a high intensity game of football away from home in the Europa League on Thursday, you can forgive the team for struggling to kick into gear during the first half.

Golden Nugget

There used to be a time where I wouldn’t know who to vote for MOTM, as I genuinely couldn’t find one that was any good.

Today I didn’t know who to pick, as there were just too many to pick from. de Gea, Rashford, Martinez, Bruno, Sancho were all excellent today

Orange Tree

De Gea, Rashford, and Bruno are the standouts for me.

Sancho was fantastic too coming off the bench.

Edit: Lindelöf did well too.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Excellent second half, really dominant, the only shame being that Weghorst couldn't get on the scoresheet - he's a proper grafter.

Also, last game without Casemiro and, overall, we've coped pretty well without him. I'd keep Sabitzer alongside him - thought he played well.

Finally, nice to see Mainoo get another cameo - few nice moments from him today.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Extremely happy with that.
Been a brutal run of fixtures so pleased navigating it well so far.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Rashford being clinical is the key for us. He's kind of like RVP in that regards these days. Before this season, we miss that chance he had to make it 1-0, and slog on and on while Leicester grows into the game and frustrates the home crowd. Having a clinical striker prevents all that.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Truly a game of two halves.

Great performance, did think we couldn't of gotten four or five and really duffed them up.

Rashford is the best player currently in Europe, unreal form.

Sancho looked good, suits central role closer to players to give and go the ball.

Licha has an absolute wand, every pass is elite.

Lindelof looked great, confidence and an under rated man v man defender.

Weghorst is a terrible striker but a great team player.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We look like such a well coached team now. Players passing first time, trusting each other with the ball, we press high and intensively, we have a shape, when it’s broken others fill in, players being rested doesn’t decimate our playing style.

We’re a long way off a title challenge but if we had Kane right now, I think we’d win the league. So perhaps not that far away.

AlPistacho

Our strength and weaknesses makes us the most entertaining team to watch. It’s never fully 1 way traffic in our favour, and usually has some end to end moments. Great result, great 2nd half performance and very enjoyable match.

stu_1992

Great result, second half after Sancho came on was a joy to watch really. Could have easily had a few more. Obviously a poor start and we really do have to shout out De Gea for keeping us at 0-0 at that point. Rashford, Fernandes and Sancho all very impressive. Goals continue to elude Weghorst but I thought he was otherwise very impressive.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 349 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Leicester
  • 25% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester