Manchester United 1:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 January 2017

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Total Anti-Climax!

Absolute shite performance from us. Liverpool players run into the ground for their manager half our players couldn't even be bothered.

Shocking subs and tactics from Mourinho today aswell. How we didn't target their young fullback, Martial didn't do it enough but I am sure Rashford would have.

Also I know Valencia has been playing well but honestly my 6 year old son has a better cross than him, its so frustrating watching him unable to beat the first defender with his crosses or just float them in.
Congratulations on being the first United fan speaking sense .

Rashford would have torn our young right back a new one. Ive said just before about this. Jose fecked up. End off . Who is in charge of man marking on corners ? If its the manager then Jose fecked up again.

kbbear

This. The issues with Martial this season are heavily linked to the non existent combinations with a left back of quality to assist his own game. Very annoying fans or manager seemingly not recognising that. In Fairness Mou might be planning to address that sooner rather than later.
Completely agree. Sometimes the wide man is only as good as the full back behind him.

Ban

Vital that we didn't lose that. Losing our unbeaten run and letting Liverpool go 8 points ahead of us, staying 5 points within Chelsea would have been gutting.

Liverpool played well, they had a game plan and it worked. They could easily have won the match and it wouldn't have been undeserved. First half they had us ragged, we couldn't cope with the pressing, but even then we could easily have got a goal or two. Second-half we were better overall but it wasn't pretty, we had to dig deep for the point. Not long ago we would have capitulated in a game like that.

So I'm feeling relief more than anything after that.
This.
Fair result in the end. In the 1st we didnt handle their pressing very well and were our own worst enemies but still could have scored 2 or 3. In the 2nd we were poor. Rooney sub didnt make any sense. Mata should have come on instead of Carrick.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
We played okay. Definitely didn't deserve less than a draw. Good thing is the momentum is maintained and over the next 4 games the teams above us all play each other whilst we can continue our current run.

Ban

Congratulations on being the first United fan speaking sense .

Rashford would have torn our young right back a new one. Ive said just before about this. Jose fecked up. End off . Who is in charge of man marking on corners ? If its the manager then Jose fecked up again.
Sense is that we were absolute shite? Thats not sense mate.

M Bison

Supports
York City
We were very poor, unfortunately today just underlined where we are as a team. Not good enough, above average but not a lot more than that.

We're 6th for a reason.

RedorDead21

Thank goodness for the mute button.
There should be a vote on here to determine Sky subscribers on this forum. We know some news channels actually monitor opinion polls on here. Its something sky need to address. Ex players from other clubs that the usual clubs also.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Thank goodness for the mute button.
Absolutely pathetic Sky are. The worst thing is that Neville acts like a scouser himself. Too many of these failures think they know what it is to win the league.

Fridge chutney

I know its the pain of the post match and all, i.e. now 4 points behind top 4 when it could so easily have been 2. And now not even a 'winning run' (tm) to fall back on. But, since Spurs, this is the first time you came up against a proper team. Not Hull. Still inferior players to the likes of Ibra and Mikhy, but a proper team nevertheless. If you can't see what went wrong today (other than the opposition was shit/lucky/Pogba had a mare/etc) then I don't think you will until you're sitting in 6th on the last game of the season wondering how the feck you didn't crack top 4 at least.

The one thing that will really help is if for once some of you examine the top 6 table with impartiality and see who's on top (Liverpool) and who's rock bottom (Utd). And then ask why. If the answers don't contain lucky/shite/Pogba then that's a first step.
No, we were very poor in the first part of the season. It takes time to bring a team together under a new manager with new players and system. You should know, Liverpool finished 8th last season under Klopp. And good luck next year when you have Europe to deal with.

If you don't think, or even concede that we are improving, then you must be a WUM because all evidence points to better results as the season has gone on.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
We played okay. Definitely didn't deserve less than a draw. Good thing is the momentum is maintained and over the next 4 games the teams above us all play each other whilst we can continue our current run.
We should have always won this game.

And what does it matter we have a run of games coming up ? Yes the teams above us are playing eachother but at some point we will have to play them aswell. Today was a golden opportunity for us to really get back in the running for top 4, taking away points from Liverpool and capitalising on city dropping points. Having a draw is just unacceptable, especially because Liverpool was missing Mane, Matip and Clyne and were playing very poor.

This team has bottled it in all the big games. Only good results was Tottenham win and taking a point away on Anfield.

kbbear

Two weeks ago Pogba was a hero on here. Okay he let the occasion get the better of him but he's still 23. Even Ronaldo has been guilty of that or trying too hard at times. Maybe we do need another top class central midfielder now to freshen things up a bit.

Ban

We should have always won this game.

And what does it matter we have a run of games coming up ? Yes the teams above us are playing eachother but at some point we will have to play them aswell. Today was a golden opportunity for us to really get back in the running for top 4, taking away points from Liverpool and capitalising on city dropping points. Having a draw is just unacceptable, especially because Liverpool was missing Mane, Matip and Clyne and were playing very poor.

This team has bottled it in all the big games. Only good results was Tottenham win and taking a point away on Anfield.
So not all big games then.

OohAahMartial

Was a cracking match, very very tense and competitive. One which we would have won if it wasn't for the penalty (which wasn't an intentional handball even if it was amateurish defending). And despite going down a goal in the first half we always looked the most likely to score the next and get back into it. Both the team and subs were ultra attacking. Which in the end paid off with pulling back their lead in dramatic fashion to rather wild celebrations from me and some Russian in the bar. That's what United is about. Thought we might even steal the winner but we ran out of time and they managed to waste most of it.

I was worried about Carrick from the off and it turned out that he was ineffective though I thought subbing him off for Rooney was a big risk. Their pressing of our forwards while keeping a deep line was a very effective tactic which we failed to cope with in the first half. Partly because Pogba always struggles against pressing teams and him being far too riled up to play calm sensible football. Martial got triple marked because Darmian is a waste of space, which I was also concerned by from the start. Mhki was surprisingly ineffectual and missed a really good and important chance. At this level you have to finish your one on ones. Fortunately Liverpool couldn't either and De Gea was my MOTM, for both his passing and saves. Mignolet did well too, especially against Zlatan's free kick which bounced on the way. It just looked like the luck was against us.

But you make luck by making enough chances which through the substitutions and more direct play with a crowd that finally roared (fans also lost the first half) we started to dominate although at great risk to the counter. But even when we got around their box we still looked clueless as to how to break through except through poor crosses. Bring back CBJ urgently! Surprised that we made Liverpools defenders look good but really we are just poor in attack still. There's still some work to be done on this team but the attitude was right if not the calmness and creativity and clinicalness.

spacetoonlover

let's not exaggerate.. yes I was hoping we'd win.. but we didn't play bad..
guys it's Liverpool!! it's not like a championship team or something! it's a team who's currently sitting second in the league.. you don't expect to "dominate" a game fro 90 minutes against such a team....
we played well..
during the whole first half, even though we finished it trailing, we were the best team.. we had 3 clear cut chances in that half alone..
Liverpool didn't even have one shoot at target during the first half!!! except of course for the penalty..
also that Liverpool team (who has the record number of passing in the EPL this year) has actually lost possession for the first team this term.. that must mean at least we had the upper hand.
Liverpool has been using that annoying "high-press" technique under Klopp.. every time an opponent has the ball , 2 players from Liverpool are closing him down..no matter the place on the pitch.. today 3.. even 4 players were trying to close down our players.. think couple of moment when Martial were surrounded by 4 Liverpool players! (and he still manages to fend them off and play the ball by the way which is amazing!) ..
even with their high intensity pressure, we actually coped very well.. we managed to keep the ball and play on the ground under this pressure.. except for maybe Rojo who was always clearing the ball (but that's understandable.. if you know you don't have enough composure then you'd better not try to be a smart-arse!)
we even were the ones who were pressing! .. but we were using a one-on-one technique.. which actually worked couple of times greatly like Ibra's chance for example..
on the second half we had no choice but to attack and attack... I admire Mourinho a lot for the risk he took with his changes.. it could have backfired.. taking out DM and RB and putting on 2 attacking players would and could truly be costly.. especially with how early you make those changes.. but then again we are United and we are trailing so the answer is attack attack attack... and it paid well in the end.
we created more chances in the second half.. yes Liverpool had couple of chances but still it's expected when a team commits itself to attack then the opposition will have chances on the counter.. but then again we coped well.. and De Gea didn't have to make his WC saves to bail us out this time which tells you how decent we were in defense..
yes there were couple of lapses from Jones and Rojo .. then again they managed to correct their mistakes most of the times.. other times De Gea was there.

on the other side, it as a game to forget for Pogba... and not only because of the penalty... he was wasteful in front of goal.. he lost possession constantly.. he couldn't do his usual through passes and long balls.. I think he should have been drawn in the half time.. but then again I believe Mourinho thought it'd have a bad effect on him so he chose to keep faith in him and let him continue the match.. the decision my have made Pogba a little bit calmer after he was very irritated after the goal.. but in the same time that decision wasn't fruitful enough on the pitch. Pogba continued his bad form into the second half..

Good Points:
  • Created plenty of clear-cut chances against one of the top teams this term.
  • Kept Liverpool attack (the strongest attack in the EPL) at bay.
  • Mourinho dealt very well with the game with his substitutions in my opinion.. apart from the decision to keep Pogba.
  • Herrera and Valencia and to some extent Martial and Mkhitaryan played well
  • Ibra continues to "conquer England".
  • Fellaini again proves his dimension is needed at times and is important in suitable times.
  • 16 unbeaten game.. and going.. hopefully forever :)
  • 2 points from city.. 5 from second... a gap can be covered in couple or maybe 3 or 4 weeks.
Bad Points:
  • one of the worst games for Pogba.. if not the worst.. the way he got nervous after the penalty was a bad indication.. he should be mentally stronger than this.
  • rooney again back to his usual invisible form.

So let's not be sad and pessimistic and start to say we're bad and "shite" like some other posters said...
we played well.. against a good team..
we had been unlucky.. strange Penalty.. Good form for their keeper.. even our goal was if the ball doesn't want to enter the net! :)
on to the next game!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Two weeks ago Pogba was a hero on here. Okay he let the occasion get the better of him but he's still 23. Even Ronaldo has been guilty of that or trying too hard at times. Maybe we do need another top class central midfielder now to freshen things up a bit.
He had a 'mare but anyone can be bad in one single game. The issue was everyone else was as well. I did wonder if, having grown in Manchester and being aware how big the game was, the occasion got to him.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
More so than us tho right as we had full strength team basically and also at home....
That is the essence of it. We had home advantage and were on full strenght while liverpool had to miss 3 key players.

Yet we had to fight till the very end to just get a draw.

It is painfull and disappointing. Today should have been clear victory for us putting Liverpool aside with 3-0, they were there for the taking.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No doubt the media (and a whole load of people on here) will paint this as Klopp getting one over on Mourinho but it's honours even between the two managers/teams in the league this season. Which is acceptable, considering where the two manager are in the evolution of their latest squad/team. That moment of madness from Pogba cost us dear. Until then it was all very comfortable and our goal was coming. Ho hum. We move on. 16 games unbeaten. A point gained on City and the dippers two points further off the top. I'm a bit frustrated by some of our players having a really poor game (well, one in particular!) but the result isn't the end of the world. Thank feck we fought our way back into it. Losing would have sucked balls.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
No, we were very poor in the first part of the season. It takes time to bring a team together under a new manager with new players and system. You should know, Liverpool finished 8th last season under Klopp. And good luck next year when you have Europe to deal with.

If you don't think, or even concede that we are improving, then you must be a WUM because all evidence points to better results as the season has gone on.
I accept you're improving. Hell you won 9 on the bounce (was it?). What I'm saying is some players thougth that was enough to make them the best team in the premiership. It isn't/wasn't. You were just beating some fodder (other than Spurs) that wouldn't harrass your midfield. You are improving and yes its Mourinho's first season so it takes time but once some of the fans realise that they are not one of the best sides in the country yet (first season, new players, etc) then it may help.

Today was a MUST WIN game for Utd (not Liverpool). You've been sprinting to catch up after early slip ups in a marathon where the other top four are just jogging along, and occasionally tripping. You simply can't sprint a whole marathon it will catch up with you, specially when Europe restarts. But without winning today you need to keep spriting and, in fact, sprint even harder. #Unsustainable.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Liverpool were worse than us. They got a lucky penalty from a stupid Pogba error that changed the game. Not once did they have a one on one with our keeper while we had three.

Watching them park the bus for the last 20 minutes and then us getting the goal was lovely to see.

I don't understand this talk about Liverpool domination. They didn't create any clear cut chances, yet we did.

If Mkhi put one of his chances away we would be talking about a totally different game.

Jacky Quacky

I accept you're improving. Hell you won 9 on the bounce (was it?). What I'm saying is some players thougth that was enough to make them the best team in the premiership. It isn't/wasn't. You were just beating some fodder (other than Spurs) that wouldn't harrass your midfield. You are improving and yes its Mourinho's first season so it takes time but once some of the fans realise that they are not one of the best sides in the country yet (first season, new players, etc) then it may help.

Today was a MUST WIN game for Utd (not Liverpool). You've been sprinting to catch up after early slip ups in a marathon where the other top four are just jogging along, and occasionally tripping. You simply can't sprint a whole marathon it will catch up with you, specially when Europe restarts. But without winning today you need to keep spriting and, in fact, sprint even harder. #Unsustainable.
It wasn't a must win. You are the best team against the top 6. Every team has struggled against you. You've had your manager for way longer than us who has been able to implement his philosophy into the team far more than Mourinho has. Don't kid yourself.

Also that hashtag... Wtf.

Djemba-Djemba

It's a missed opportunity but it's not the end of the world. Once again our lack of composure has cost us the victory, even though we played pretty badly we still created enough chances to win.

A lot of our rivals play each other over the next 3 or 4 weeks so the 5 teams above us are guaranteed to be dropping points. We need to carry on as we have been doing and we can capitalise. We're still on the right track.

One thing I have to mention though is our set pieces. It's a real issue now for me, our complete lack of any kind of threat from corners. Are we not practising them in training? We must be the worst in the league for them.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
So not all big games then.
We bottled it versus Arsenal, We bottled it versus City and we bottled it today.

I'd say we bottled it against Chelsea aswell but the truth is we actually got hammered in that one and had no chance of getting anything out of that.

Against top sides Mourinho has been a complete failure. He can do the job against lower league sides but when it is a big game he is worhtless.

AndyJ1985

What I take from today is that we're still very much a work in progress. Any talk of thrashing them and challenging for the title was silly. Failing to win is a missed opportunity, but I'm not too disappointed. Considering our start to the season I'm happy we've made up ground on those above us. I'm happy we're heading in the right direction. But there's no denying we need to add more quality to the squad. We need more goals, that's been clear for ages. We'll be back stronger when we play them next season, of that I have no doubt.

Fridge chutney

Fair enough then. If your argument is that we won't win the league, then I am in complete agreement. Winning every match is always unsustainable, especially in England.

Frankly, a draw suited neither team. Liverpool dropped a position after a torrid start to the new year. We're closer to fifth but further from top 4. Chelsea and Spurs are the teams that have 'won' this weekend.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I said after our recent performances against Boro, West Ham and Hull that we're fecking ourselves over because we're cruising through games with one eye on the Liverpool game. We played ourselves into poorer form where we were crap in possession and I said that I worry that Liverpools pressing game would only exacerbate the issue. We needed to continue a high intensity game leading up to this to keep things ticking along then take the foot off the gas for these easier games coming up afterwards.

Secondly, those that argued we'd beat these easily are idiots. Form goes out of the window every time and there's very, very rarely an easy game when we play these lot.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Mourinho is staring to look like the sane one compared to Klopp.

Ban

We bottled it versus Arsenal, We bottled it versus City and we bottled it today.

I'd say we bottled it against Chelsea aswell but the truth is we actually got hammered in that one and had no chance of getting anything out of that.

Against top sides Mourinho has been a complete failure. He can do the job against lower league sides but when it is a big game he is worhtless.
Talk about exaggerating....

Jacky Quacky

He hasn't had that much time yet to put his stamp on the squad. This is always how Mourinho was, get a draw against the top teams and win against the lower teams.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
If Mkhi put one of his chances away we would be talking about a totally different game.
:lol:

Oh please not this again.

If Ibra would have scored that header at Anfield you'd have another two points.

Get a grip la.

:lol:

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 643 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results