PL L FA Premier League

Liverpool 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 January 2020

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That is good coaching. What I saw was that individually our players can go toe to toe with Liverpool players. What they have and we do not have is good coaching.they know what their team mates will do once they have the ball. Ours do not know what they will do. Imagine our team with a fantastic coach? They will be competing for sure.
I'm imagining it and no we would not be competing for a title or even top 3. There is a large chasm in talent between and the top 2.

Rbrown0806

Outplayed. We are miles behind them.
Surprised? I'm amazed it was only 2! This team is getting worse not better. Check out the points total. The table does not lie. Forget all the hype from Ole..he is out of his depth and we are just wasting more time with him as Manager and Woodward as CEO. Check the facts not the words.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just keep your eyes on this thread, you will see how far we have fallen by the reaction of a good proportion of our fans.
Unfortunately very few fans think like you and I.
Most fans have bought into the idea that we deserve to lose because LFC are better.
This attitude is similar to when a Championship side come to OT and lose. The fans say, "we did well and lost to the better team".
Standards today are the lowest I have seen in the last 20 years. We are rock bottom and while Ole is in charge, I see this getting worse.

Only 2 years ago we finished 2nd ahead of LFC and now it is completely acceptable to get beaten by them.
Last year Jose got sacked, with losing to LFC as the final straw. This season, we have less points and have just lost to LFC....but it's okay?
What the hell is going on?
The fans will say, "we are building for the future". I will say that all teams are building for the future and are not using this as an excuse for failure.
The correct ethos should be to have a manager who is expected to get us moving up the table and show immediate improvements.

I actually expected us to lose today BUT I am not going to say that it's "okay to lose" and that "we showed some fight" (like a minnow who visits a big club and loses), like a lot of posters on this forum are saying.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Said the manager always needs time. So Carragher said ‘so you thought José needed more time’ to which he said yes. The same manager he slagged off when he was our manager. He also said Moyes needed more time, anyone who defends Moyes doesn’t have a clue in my mind, completely out of his depth and proved by the fact is done feck all

Asked who’s to blame at the club he simply said ‘I don’t know’. Well thanks for that insight Keane, it’s pretty obvious it’s a combination of average players, an average coaching staff and a board that can’t get transfers done.

He was defending Ole with every argument. Blamed Pogba again, when he hasn’t played for month. Him wanting to leave if true is not going to affect us that much. He is constantly blaming the wrong people.
Thanks for that. Ole's pals will say anything to defend him and the club, even if it comes out as utter twaddle.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It was as good as the team was going to play and they lost 0-2. That's the quality on display at the moment. The squad is small and not very good to begin with. Certainly does not get better with the best players out injured.

Don't think Liverpool really got going for a big part of the game but to be honest that's how they've looked all season and it is still enough for them. Hard to lose games when the opposition doesn't score.

Josep Dowling

Proud to watch a team fighting for each other yes. I'm not stupid enough to have gone there expecting a win today. To have done so would be not seeing the reality of our situation
What does that even mean? Because they tried to get an equaliser in the second half, that’s what losing opponents try to do. In the end we created one big change the entire game. I feel like so many fans on Redcafe watch different games or don’t understand football.

You can control a game without having the ball which is what Liverpool were doing in the second half. At no point were they really under threat by us bar the Martial chance. Alisson didn’t have to make a save all game other than 35 yard attempt right at him.

SteveW

The problem was obvious that we lack quality, and with the amount of injuries that we have it is hardly a surprise that we lost. Realistically, I think most knew we were going to lose, and any level headed person would look at the form and think a draw is best that could be got in the circumstances.

The annoying part is that now that we have got rid of some of the deadwood, we need to replace them and Woodward and company keep fecking things up. Sell Matic and get some CMs in, pay the money needed to get Fernandes, the amount of sloppy moments from Periera was ridiculous.
This. Seems insane to me that Oles getting bashed on here. Even Keane said it was a good effort from them today.

What the hell were people expecting with that 11 away to a team who win every fecking game? Wish people could drop the agendas and give fair assessments.

Rbrown0806

Ole Glazer Solskjaer thrilled with that no doubt. Glorious defeat. Fair play to Woodward and Ole the loser mentality has set in deep not just within the squad but even throughout a large majority of the fanbase. Sad to see.
They are just managing expectations. Still what can you expect for £800m! We seem to have the ability to make good players fir other clubs look average when they come to OT. Not looking forward to the City cup tie..it could be a real drubbing. Time we admitted how poor a lot of these players and the Manager are...but we won't.

SteveW

What does that even mean? Because they tried to get an equaliser in the second half, that’s what losing opponents try to do. In the end we created one big change the entire game. I feel like so many fans on Redcafe watch different games or don’t understand football.

You can control a game without having the ball which is what Liverpool were doing in the second half. At no point were they really under threat by us bar the Martial chance. Alisson didn’t have to make a save all game other than 35 yard attempt right at him.
They have a much better team than us. We're missing 3 of our best players. We had Matic and Pereira in our midfield today.

You can only do your best with the players available. We did that imo. We were in the game until the last kick.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Thanks for that. Ole's pals will say anything to defend him and the club, even if it comes out as utter twaddle.
Is the team on the pitch today good enough to dominate and win over Liverpool under another manager? Just answer that honestly

Rbrown0806

This. Seems insane to me that Oles getting bashed on here. Even Keane said it was a good effort from them today.

What the hell were people expecting with that 11 away to a team who win every fecking game? Wish people could drop the agendas and give fair assessments.
We have spent £800m since Fergie left. It would be hard to imagine a poorer team and manager for that sort of money. We are 30 points behind Liverpool and the season is only just over half way. The club are deliberately managing fans expectations. Next they will convince us it is a miracle that we have avoided relegation! Wake up everybody! This squad and manager are going nowhere fast. Too many overhyped players who will NEVER be good enough.

SteveW

Our coaching is shit, and easy to see, look at the situation of Fred marking Van Dick on a corner, which super brain thought that out?
This is a valid criticism of the coaches. Our set pieces are awful. Both defending them and attacking them. Ole and co need to sort this out.

Other than that they got pretty much everything right today. Tactics were good, TAA and Robertson were barely seen in the game. I thought we'd get spanked but we nearly got a draw.

Russky14

Most fans have bought into the idea that we deserve to lose because LFC are better.
This attitude is similar to when a Championship side come to OT and lose. The fans say, "we did well and lost to the better team".
Standards today are the lowest I have seen in the last 20 years. We are rock bottom and while Ole is in charge, I see this getting worse.

Only 2 years ago we finished 2nd ahead of LFC and now it is completely acceptable to get beaten by them.
Last year Jose got sacked, with losing to LFC as the final straw. This season, we have less points and have just lost to LFC....but it's okay?
The fans will say, "we are building for the future". I will say that all teams are building for the future and are not using this as an excuse for failure.
The correct ethos should be to have a manager who is expected to get us moving up the table and show immediate improvements.

I actually expected us to lose today BUT I am not going to say that it's "okay to lose" and that "we showed some fight" (like a minnow who visits a big club and loses), like a lot of posters on this forum are saying.

Well Said. It is not acceptable. End of.

Fans are being conditioned by feckwit Woodward & the Regime. Enough is enough.

PeteManic

Did what they could. Conceding on the corner very poor. And no final ball.

Will still win the Europa League though.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
No need to play shoulda woulda coulda game. For every United's missed sitter, Liverpool had 2 or 3 of their own. Finishing was rubbish on both sides but Liverpool clearly dominated.

Scousers could have been annoyed the game was uncomfortable but they seems content. Most wish Ole to not get battered, keep his job and continue the wheeling.

Sidenote to Fred, I still think he's pap. Yes he looks lively, but his long shots were terrible. Wasteful.

DomesticTadpole

Is the team on the pitch today good enough to dominate and win over Liverpool under another manager? Just answer that honestly
Probably not, but Ole lost his main striker, through his own fault, I would say the same for Pogba as well. Sold a pile of players and did not replace them with the necessary quality. He decided to put all his faith in the likes of Lingard and Pereira who are not good enough, neither is Dalot. His two most expensive signings do not look too great, although I suspect both are playing with knocks. His cheapest signing is starting unfortunately to look just that. He decided to have this thin squad so is overplaying some of his players to the detriment of their wellbeing.

A-man

I’m a bit annoyed with the corners. It’s been too many times where they put a relatively physically weak player like Williams or AWB to stop a strong player’s run and then Maguire and Lindelof waiting on the line to clear the ball. Clearly the tactics don’t work. Maguire can’t defend an aerial if the opponent had a run through the defence and comes with pace. VvD is probably the best in the world at scoring goals at corners. It’s not rocket science. Put one extra man in him or at least do something.

SteveW

We have spent £800m since Fergie left. It would be hard to imagine a poorer team and manager for that sort of money. We are 30 points behind Liverpool and the season is only just over half way. The club are deliberately managing fans expectations. Next they will convince us it is a miracle that we have avoided relegation! Wake up everybody! This squad and manager are going nowhere fast. Too many overhyped players who will NEVER be good enough.
Ole didn't spend the 800 million. He's signed 3 players with a net spend of 70m.

Glazers are fecking him over. And fecking us over.

Josep Dowling

One of the most sensible posts I seen in a long time.

Foxbatt

Yes this is a point that I have made earlier on. I was surprised that individually most of our players were able to go toe to toe with them. Collectively we failed. Only an imbecile would get Fred or Williams to mark Van Dijk. Now lets put in perspective. Supposed he did not score that goal? Also in that respect of zonal marking Van Dijk can be in any players zone. It could be Fred's or even Mata's.
Set pieces need to be practiced. Both in an attacking and defending perspective. Honestly I really do not understand what the coaches are doing in training? I am not saying Ole only but the whole team. My gut feeling is that they have been very cocooned in their fields which is not new to British football. Ole needs help from his coaches and I feel that he is also not getting it or if he is then he is not accepting it but I think it is the former.
Non British coaches are well read and well educated so they just do not accept what is the flavour of the season. It looks like because City is doing zonal marking everyone thinks it is great. But we do not have anyone who can head the ball apart from Maguire and Lindelof. So it is utter madness to do zonal marking.
You give this team to a good coach and we probably would have won today.

Godfather

In years to come we will look back at this season as the period when it all started to come together again. I believe that. Past caring about whether anyone else does, apart from the club
I hope so much you are right mate

Josep Dowling

Do Chelsea give managers time, do Real Madrid give managers time, other clubs sack managers left, right and centre.
Also the fact Chelsea are 4th and have a transfer embargo. He’s had to work with what he had and probably about where he should be with that squad. It’s nothing to do with him being English.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
De Gea - Got booked because the referee doesn't know the rules to a game of football.

Bissaka - Struggled a bit with our weird formation, but then so did I...in that I still can't figure out what our formation actually was. Was Bissaka supposed to be in a back 4 or back 5?
Maguire - Last 5 minutes...time to send the big centre half up to, erm...stand outside the opposition box passing it to the wing but then not actually getting in the box?
Lindelof - Where did he keep going? Balls kept coming into the box and Luke Shaw would be the only centreback there, and I'm not sure if he was supposed to be at centreback or just covering because our actual ones had disappeared? Where do they go?
Shaw - What position was he playing in? Why does he always forget he isn't playing Rugby at around the 70th minute? Why did he clear one cross by spinning around in a circle mid air and booting it across his own goal, instead of just using his other foot?
Williams - Where was he meant to be playing?

Matic - Good at keeping the ball, and booting people in the face.
Fred - Good at, well everything to be fair.
Pereira - If you hadn't seen the team sheet you'd have probably just presumed Lingard was playing somewhere.

James - Did some good fast running. Running fast man.
Martial - Mate, if you can't hit the target from 7 yards, don't then with the next attack ignore your open team mates to try and score from 40 yards.

Subs:
Greenwood - Didn't have a chance to do much. Briefly joined in the poor crossing parade
Mata - Best attacking pass he played was to a Liverpool player
Dalot - I like him, but one thing he probably isn't is a left footed winger.

Corners - We're literally better at defending our own corners than we are at defending the other team's. Honestly if I was in charge of this club I'd be sacking people for this by now. It's ridiculous.

The ref - Was it Souness in disguise?
Souness - He's the only Liverpool fan on earth who has inexplicably become more bitter and full of shite now that they are actually good again.

Ole - Sort out our fecking corners. Seriously. You watch our games and aren't under 6 years old. You can see it's a massive problem.

Suedesi

My thoughts on the game:

Loved United's spirit, we kept fighting until the end against brilliant opponents
Love Brandon Williams, he plays without fear and is brilliant to watch. Surprised he was pulled off. Love his mentality, his spirit, attitude, running about, closing down, making himself available and recycling the ball well.
Fred was immense and grew a lot in the game. Never stopped running, he played without fear, the only negative was his shooting, but in a game like that it was a great performance. Didn't much help from Matic, who's a yard off the pace of the game.
Shaw needs to feck off from this club. Laborious, slow of body, slow of mind, just never offers anything going forward and it's a passenger on the side. Pulling his hamstring the only time the coaching staff asked him to cross the halfway line epitomizes his tenure at the club - not good enough, not athletic enough, not brave enough and questionable fitness.
Pereira tries his heart, so can't fault him for that, but his quality is not Man Utd quality. Quality on the ball, when he receives the ball, what he does with ball, passing, shooting - all below average. Should have scored on the first half if he went with his left as opposed to right foot. Still, not going to be too harsh on the lad, because he tried his heart out.
Maguire/Lindelof/AWB - too slow on the ball, and when they recycle the ball it seems like they do everything at 1/2x speed. Especially when Liverpool were pinning us in our area at the beginning of the second, they just kept giving the ball away in dangerous positions. Just boot it out to touch, get organized, put men behind the ball and weather the storm. Instead we get overrun time and time again 30 yards from our goal, exposing De Gea needlessly. For Van Dijk's goal, Lindelof didn't even jump which is criminal. Try to obstruct the view or make it difficult for Van Dijk - rather than just let him get a free run on the ball. Also on the Firmino disallowed goal, why is Lindelof dithering on the ball after it bounced to him, just fecking clear it. Lindelof is not an instinctive player, and doesn't have the street smarts that some of best CB do need to have. Sergio Ramos would have booted the ball and then complained ad nauseum to the referee for the foul on De Gea, Victor just froze. Needs to eventually move on.
Dan James was a non-factor throughout, rarely on the ball - and when is, delivery/final ball is poor.
Martial is the kind of player that needs touches on the ball, he's not Icardi that can stay anonymous for 89 minutes will score on the only touch he gets. He created a great chance that he should have scored, but overall he was subdued.
De Gea had a good game, made some really smart saves, not sure he could do anything on the first goal, might have done better on the second, but overall good.

We played without 3 starters in Rashford, Pogba and McSauce. It's clear that we need better options in midfield and RW - nothing that we didn't know in the summer. Just hope the board pull their finger from their ass and get us the required personnel. Not going to hold my breath though...

mu4c_20le

Also the fact Chelsea are 4th and have a transfer embargo. He’s had to work with what he had and probably about where he should be with that squad. It’s nothing to do with him being English.
They had two years to prepare for the ban and the season before he came, they spent 200m on players, 70m or so on Kepa alone.

DomesticTadpole

Theyback managers in the transfer window. You need players to win matches.
I agree he needed players, but he is so desperate to keep this job he goes along with it. We have lost two of our best players through preventable injuries. I am waiting for the usual could not buy the players we want excuse.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 83% of 325 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw