PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 January 2021

Infra-red

We played with this approach, especially at Anfield under Fergie many many many many times. The narrative that we were always ultra attacking is wrong. Ole got the tactics right today, we wasted the chances to win the game.
We've barely been able to string five passes together in most big games since 2016.

At some point we're going to have to start offering a little bit more than simply soaking up pressure and hoping Rashford can outrun the opposition CBs when we eventually win the ball back.

Red_Aaron

2 huge chances,

I'm absolutely gutted which speaks volumes about our progress

I've never felt we could win the league but that was a real missed opportunity to at least bloody their nose

onemanarmy

A (big) loss here would have been devastating for our confidence. This draw against a team that was much better than us couple of months ago isn't perfect, but it's a good enough result. Liverpool and City will also drop a lot more points this season. Our players will be frustrated and hopefully prove a point against Fulham.

sparx99

People talk like Fabinho and Henderson can't defend. I actually think that they defended pretty well.
Fabinho looks fantastic as a CB. It’s more that their communication and positioning as CB (Henderson particularly who has little experience) should be able to be exploited.

instead the only defending Henderson had to do was balls down the side which plays to his strengths.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Bruno will only be able to play well, when we dominate the ball possession.
Dominating possession and Bruno don't happen in the same team though.

Bruno literally plays a through ball every time he gets the ball, he will either put someone through or give the ball away.

Yakuza_devils

Bruno form has dropped massively.

Rashford think too highly of himself to dribble 3 defenders by himself rather than a simple pass to Cavani. This is football coaching 101 basic and he fecked it up. He is a headless chicken.

Overall happy with a draw at Anfield. The good thing is very are still top of the league.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Issued opportunity for me...needed to go with more intent. If we played them with McT and Fred centre halves?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Not a bad result, but it feels disappointing as I thought we were looking like we’d push on to win it in the 2nd half.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Any good manager in my opinion changes the tactics depending on who you're playing, keep the same way of play each time and you get found out.
I've got no problem with changes, providing they actually work. But we were like a team of headless chickens today. We had something like 50~% passing accuracy in the 1st half from 30~% possession, 0 shots on target. 2nd half wasn't much better overall.

That's the thing Ole hasn't changed his conservative tactics though. In the big matches this season, we've took 3 points from 15 only scoring 1 penalty. We've also played City in the cup and lost, scoring none. I would argue the pragmatic tactics have been found out.

McTerminator

What was their gameplan? Letting our strikers have the ball on a counter 3v2 or 2v1 and hope their decision making is rubbish? Or count on our two best ballers being unable to put the ball in the back of the net from 6 yards? If so, then yes - worked a treat.
In fairness, I felt Liverpool very purposefully did not challenge us inside the area. If we don't win a penalty we struggle to convert in the box.

Thought the game plan from Ole was good and will take that point. On to the next one.

Maybe Marcus needs a rest.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I didn't see it as a battering given how dysfunctional were up front. We were much better than we had been and made some good chances but we didn't do enough in possession to control the game, much less batter Liverpool.
Second half was a carbon copy of the first half vs City away last year when Garry Neville rightfully said 'City are getting battered'. Only thing different was we couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. Constantly working 3v2 or 2v1 close to their goal is battering.

sparx99

For those who think we did ok how do you want us to play in the cup game where a win is needed?

Same again? Or should we try to take the game more to them?

ForeverRed1

It’s a good point but the two games against city and pool, show were a little way off yet.

still, the improvement is there, we’re tough to beat and we’re going to get better!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In fairness, I felt Liverpool very purposefully did not challenge us inside the area. If we don't win a penalty we struggle to convert in the box.

Thought the game plan from Ole was good and will take that point. On to the next one.

Maybe Marcus needs a rest.
If we had taken our chances Ole's game plan would have been perfect.

lex talionis

We had two big chances to Liverpool having no big chances. The tactics were a bit too cowardly given their recent poor form, but I’ll take the point at Anfield.

At least we’re now moaning about missed chances against top clubs rather than getting blown off the park by top clubs.

Alek M

Da manic one
If people don't recognize the effort and quality that Mctominay and Fred contributed today then they are clueless about soccer.

Fought in midfield, intercepted passes, didn't allow space for Liverpool midfield never out of position. Played well receiving the ball from the back, shielded defense.

The Oracle

In the biggest games, the biggest players stand up.

Rashford today was 2/10
Martial today was 3/10
Bruno today was 3/10

Abysmal from our 3 attacking players.

Gavinb33

We need better midfielders to truly push on to the next level, I like Scott and Fred but when we play against the best sides they are often found wanting.

The back 4 except after a shaky start were brilliant.

The attackers had to feed off scraps for most of the game and when you are trying to trigger balls over the top its always very close with offsides and we just couldn't get it right today, saying that the 2 chances we had were the best of the game if Pogba kept his chance low indont think the keeper gets it which is frustrating

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Bruno seriously needs a rest and time for Pogba to get the free role with DVB playing if it's a diamond

If we are going to win the league our front players need to fire because they are looking poor

Shaw was excellent today
I totally agree about Shaw. He was spot on with almost everything today.

With Pogba in good form it might be time to play him as AM and let Bruno come of the bench a few matches. I'm not convinced it's time for DVB to be given serious minutes.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw