PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 January 2021

Lentwood

More than happy with that for the most part. Defended extremely well. I thought McTominay also played well, much better on the ball than Fred.

Rashford is a big concern for me. I know it’s sacrilege on here with some but I just don’t know what he does. Doesn’t hold the ball up, doesn’t keep it well, wasteful in possessions, makes bad decisions and averages a goal every four games.

BEST No7

Hmmm....take it tbh. Luke shaw was Brilliant rashford rubbish. We should've won that. Disappointing

abailey123

We had the two chances to win the game and thought we were by far the better side after we’d withstood their first 25 minutes.
A point at Anfield is never a bad result though considering their home form.

micmac

Could’ve won this game. Good game overall, Rashford made some poor decisions....Imagine if Pogba did some running.

If we defended like this all season we would’ve probably only conceded 2 goals. Not a bad result in the end.

Irwin99

Could have nicked it and a good point I suppose but i'm not a fan of this style of football in the big games. Jose gets slaughtered on here for exactly the same thing. It's just frustrating, that really was an opportunity to beat them with how weakened their defence and their balance was/is. It annoys me that we tried to snatch a victory on the counter. I know it's against the champions and Liverpool are still a great side but the circumstances had to dictate a stronger emphasis on attack.

Think people owe Lindelof and the defence some credit, although it helps having two DMs.
Shaw was outstanding.
Pogba was excellent
Bruno was ....not good at all. I don't think these type of games bring out the best in him. He's got very little to work with in the shape we employ in these games.

Wicked_Badger

Both sides looked blunt. Frustrating that we didn’t just play the way we normally do when trying to to win games & didn’t test their makeshift CBs.

Still, a point away at the champions. Not the worst result.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Full credit to Ole and Lindelof. Both were excellent. We could have won if not for Allison. Very good point. We move on.
Pleased for Lindelof after the abuse he gets, Ole actually got his selection right there. I wasn't so sure when I heard the team.

Charlie Foley

Could have won that but would have taken a point. It’s not a great result for Liverpool.

hopefully over the next 5 games we can open a gap. They play City and go to Spurs , maybe West Ham could get something off them. We have some winnable fixtures coming up, who knows what arsenal will be like and we have beaten Everton already this season so should really be going for 3 points there.

dalriada

A match that has this oddest of seasons written all over it. If you're a Liverpool supporter you're probably hacked off with a 0-0 draw at home. A lot of people on this forum expecting us to tear them apart because they have a weakened side, but I'll take a draw at Anfield.

Nonetheless, our attacking players looked weary. Fulham next, so surely a chance to rest Bruno. Marcus looks drained as well.
Both of them guilty of trying cute tricks in the box too often instead of going for it. At least Pogba just has a go.

Caliban

This season's target was/is to close the gap on liverpool and City.

Now it is of course about a title race, with City favourites, but still.

This game was not boring for me, as it had tension all the way.

leontas

Game of fine margins. Had Rashford passed to Cavani or Pogba shot it anywhere else but straight at Alison, would’ve been talking about a great performance. Bruno, Martial and Rashford disappointing.

Johnson Yip

Could be 3 but I’ll take 1 point here. Ole’s tactic is getting better - Pogba on the right flank worked, resulting in a better shield for AWB. Martial is a major disappointment.

Renegade

Firmino is garbage. The narrative is being pushed about their CB pairing. Fabinho is arguably one of the best CB’s in the league.

ajay1002

Thought Utd just about deserved to win that by the end, so a little disappointed to not get 3 points.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We should buy more players, our depth is shocking!

*buys players and changes team

Nooooo what are you doing don't change the team! You must always play the best team!

Missed opportunity. Ole's tinkering killed us. Pogba and Bruno were way too far apart throughout, no wonder we couldn't create anything. I don't think they played more than 5 passes to each-other between them. Rashford's selfishness cost us at the end. I don't even think Liverpool played well. We were simply rubbish today.
Any good manager in my opinion changes the tactics depending on who you're playing, keep the same way of play each time and you get found out.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Away at Anfield 0:0 against reigning champions, one point taken, remaining top of the league - very little to complain about, to be honest. Smart, if boring, game - decent result.

As for Liverpool, they were too slow. We had a good defensive formation and nobody made any major stupid mistakes. They needed to raise the tempo significantly if they wanted to break us down, but their attacking trio looked unable to do it.

Thiago was fecking insane. Why the hell Bayern sold him to Liverpool is beyond me. He was a single contsant threat to us. Very good player.

Eplel

Cant believe Rashford didn't pass the ball to Cavani

Happy with the point otherwise
Both Cavani and Pogba moved counter-intuitively in this run, not that this absolves Rashford for making the worst decision he could make.

Spark

We somehow ended up with the best chances. Our passing was honestly mind blowing, especially in the first half.

Frustrating that Fernandes went missing today, however he still had a great chance saved and a decent freekick.

Pogba is in form by the look of things, although a couple absolute brain farts from
him. Should have fecking scored!

Rashford was shite I thought, permanently offside and when he wasn’t his decision making was atrocious.

Shaw was immense (Motm), while AWB made some epic tackles too.

Overall slightly disappointed, however I don’t have to avoid all football chat/articles for the next week.

sparx99

Our ‘big’ game tactics aren’t working. We’ve played in this passive way against City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Liverpool. We have not scored a goal and got 3 draws and a defeat.

Bruno is at his best on the edge of the opposition box probing and we are playing in such a way that it keeps him 60 yards from their goal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Almost stole it, but the real work was totally nullifying their threat in the first half.

The two best chances were poor shots, right at the keeper.

Rashy's mad decision to run across the pitch instead of playing one of Europe's best finishers was the one that really felt frustrating.

freeurmind

weak willed
Pleased for Lindelof after the abuse he gets, Ole actually got his selection right there. I wasn't so sure when I heard the team.
The only problem was Pogba getting exploited on the right but tactically he got it spot on. We had the best 2 chances to win it. Better finishes and we might have gotten the win.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Obviously the plan was to defend well, hit them on the counter and hope we would take our chance when it came. I hindsight we were probably too cautious given they are off form and down 2 starters in defence but hindsight is 20/20 vision.
I think Bruno & Rashford need a spell on the bench.
We need a top centre forward. Cavani is good but coming to the end of his career.
Defence did well today. Two cleansheets in a row is encouraging.
On to Fulham which will be tough.

Red & White

Decent result but wouldn’t it be great for us to really go at one of ours rivals this season? Ole’s job is to get results and keep us top of the league, though, and that’s what he’s done today.

Shaw was solid. Rashford and Bruno were disappointing, which is a shame in such a big game.

Credit to the defence for keeping a clean sheet against a team that has scored in the last 43 games at home. The vast majority of us would have taken a draw beforehand so let’s keep positive.

MattofManchester

Frankly it's a poor game against a Liverpool side that is nowhere near full strength.

Draw is a decent result, but it feels like we keep playing for a draw, which is annoying.

Pragmatism seems to be the route we've taken for almost a decade now.

Riz

I think that’s just about fair to be honest. We created the better chances in the second half but were on the back foot in the first.

Thought both sets of front players were really poor today, Bruno and Rashford particularly were borderline woeful. Pogba was good first half but went missing a bit in the second. Shame we couldn’t take one of the chances in the second half but can’t complain with a point at Anfield to keep them behind us.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Gutted didn’t win, 2 glorious chances should’ve buried them but another point and still top.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don’t really know how to feel about that. In one way, I think we matched the league champions well. But; they were depleted. An on form Bruno and Rashford, and we would have won this.

feels like points dropped.
Their defence was depleted, but I think they are having serious problems up front.

Schmeichel=God

Rashford and Martial liabilities at present.

Time for a narrower Cavani Greenwood front two diamond midfield

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Given the schedule coming up, i'm very happy for a draw. The next 3 weeks is actually disgusting. Pretty much a game every 3 days.

Heavily rotate for Fulham next. Please rest Rashford.

Galinha

I can’t figure out whether Ole lost 2 points because of this horrible attacking team (keeping rashford on) or he got us 1 point.

Shame Pogba didn’t get that goal. We deserved that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Our ‘big’ game tactics aren’t working. We’ve played in this passive way against City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Liverpool. We have not scored a goal and got 3 draws and a defeat.

Bruno is at his best on the edge of the opposition box probing and we are playing in such a way that it keeps him 60 yards from their goal.
Not the same boat as our other games against the big teams.

That was almost the perfect away tactical display.

RORY65

I would've taken a point so have to be pleased enough with that and how we didn't look that troubled. There is some frustration though in that I think they were there for the taking and, as the commentators said, they played Liverpool's reputation for the first hour rather than a team with no centre backs and several players out of form.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Not good enough,
Rashford is not good enough.

Weakest Liverpool team in years, no home fans and we still couldnt win.

We are not going to win the league

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Wow. I am 100% impressed. We played a very professional away game. And created so many chances to win the game.

Absolutely delighted.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win