FA W FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Manchester United 4:3 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 March 2024

Oranges038

Watching Sky sports shite and they have those 2 scouse gowls on Warnock and Smith and it's all about Liverpool, they found a way to lose and excuses etc... whinging about players not being fully fit and all that shite.

Whiny cnuts, almost like teams aren't allowed to just beat them.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
United was the better team in the 1st half mostly certainly did not deserve to be 2-1 behind. Not great 2nd half but subs brought a spark back into the team and for extra time United was the best team. Correct call by posters here to name Garnacho man of the match. All through the 120 minutes he kept trying to make things happen and ran himself into the ground. That win will be all the more sweeter if United go on to win the FA Cup.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Feck Jason McAteer. What a bitter c**t. Every week he's on BeIN talking rubbish. Was great to see him in shock last night.

Mike Smalling

I usually don't get annoyed with pundits, and don't watch a lot of studio coverage, but yesterday I kept it on after the game and it was honestly infuriating. One of the "experts" on the Danish broadcast was going on and on about how United are too inconsistent, he doesn't see the plan, we need to do it over two months, etc. etc. All negativity after United put in a pretty good performance and won a classic game against the arch rivals. Completely miserable. No analysis of the performance of why we happened to win the game or anything. What a joke.

This is a side point, but the inability to get a group of good pundits and commentators together boggles the mind. There was a period were one network had a really solid group that was made up of players that didn't really have stellar playing careers - they were there, because they knew the game and talked sense. But now all the pundits are either the biggest ex players or the ones that have been doing it the longest. To put a cherry on top of this dogshit sundae, one of the broadcasters just announced that Nicklas Bendtner will cover the upcoming national team games. Feck me. The only good experts we have is when they roll out Elkjær and the Laudrups for Champions League, because they at least have charisma.

Chumpsbechumps

I usually don't get annoyed with pundits, and don't watch a lot of studio coverage, but yesterday I kept it on after the game and it was honestly infuriating. One of the "experts" on the Danish broadcast was going on and on about how United are too inconsistent, he doesn't see the plan, we need to do it over two months, etc. etc. All negativity after United put in a pretty good performance and won a classic game against the arch rivals. Completely miserable. No analysis of the performance of why we happened to win the game or anything. What a joke.

This is a side point, but the inability to get a group of good pundits and commentators together boggles the mind. There was a period were one network had a really solid group that was made up of players that didn't really have stellar playing careers - they were there, because they knew the game and talked sense. But now all the pundits are either the biggest ex players or the ones that have been doing it the longest. To put a cherry on top of this dogshit sundae, one of the broadcasters just announced that Nicklas Bendtner will cover the upcoming national team games. Feck me. The only good experts we have is when they roll out Elkjær and the Laudrups for Champions League, because they at least have charisma.
You also see a lot of people parrot the same sh*te pundits go on about. It’s basically the tail wagging the dog with no objective individual thought process, group hysteria thinking whipping each other into rage or frenzy.

XG, possesion, no patterns of play and zero deep dive into why this might be the case, it’s gotta be “manager isn’t good enough” cause look at spurs or some throw out comment with zero insight into anything.

Pundits job is to entertain and most people enjoy soundbite punditry that can sometimes sound insightful but seldom is. Watching when Jose was on BT was as insightful as I ever saw it, he was thorough and fascinating to listen to. We get fast food punditry in general.

tomaldinho1

Something I realised about yesterday is it was maybe the first game vs a top team where I didn't feel we were going to fold once they went ahead. Usually the heads drop but the reality is over 90mins it was a very even game and I feel we were much better in ET.

RedRover

Fantastic game to watch and great to see a bit of heart. The younger players were excellent. Mainoo looks like a star in the making. Pleased to see Amad getting a goal and hopefully he kicks on.

Glad to see the Klopp love-in derailed as well.

redmanx

Fantastic game to watch and great to see a bit of heart. The younger players were excellent. Mainoo looks like a star in the making. Pleased to see Amad getting a goal and hopefully he kicks on.

Glad to see the Klopp love-in derailed as well.
And would you believe it, the supposedly never ruffled, never rude, never discourteous, always polite, always wonderful Klopp stormed out of a post match interview with the hump! The likes of BBC and other besotted Klopp admirers would have us believe that strops and rows were purely a Sir Alex Ferguson/Manchester United thing. Just goes to show we're all human.

IRN-BRUno

What a game. Great start, unfortunate to be behind and then the 2nd half just felt as though it was drifting to a loss until Antony scored. But after that, wow. The period until full-time was superb, you think maybe it'll quieten down in extra-time but they just kept going. Complete chaos but ultimately a deserved win.

Something similar in the league match in a few weeks would be great!

Oscar Bonavena

And would you believe it, the supposedly never ruffled, never rude, never discourteous, always polite, always wonderful Klopp stormed out of a post match interview with the hump! The likes of BBC and other besotted Klopp admirers would have us believe that strops and rows were purely a Sir Alex Ferguson/Manchester United thing. Just goes to show we're all human.
Klopp is all teeth n' tonsils when things are going his way, but it doesn't take much for the mask to slip!

OT1214

I have no choice but to go BeIn here in Dubai - keys and mcateer were that bad I turned over to the Arabic commentary channel for the analysis - dreadful
I dont normally watch their analysis because of their blatant anti United bias. But Yorke tearing up McAteer yesterday was beautiful. Keys and Gray just sat there and laughed. Couldn’t find anything to moan about United.

68cob

Dunno if it's been posted already, but the full game will be available on youtube soon

Cantonagotmehere

I forgot to mention AWB in my earlier post. He was immense. Coming back from injury and putting in an awesome shift like that, very proud of him. Defending and controling the ball. Dalot and him were amazing.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I dont normally watch their analysis because of their blatant anti United bias. But Yorke tearing up McAteer yesterday was beautiful. Keys and Gray just sat there and laughed. Couldn’t find anything to moan about United.
What did Yorke say to the dingbat McAteer?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Am guilty of a grave injustice.High on cloud 9, bursting with joy now that the Scouse still haven't won an FA cup tie at OT since 1921 I gave Amad MOTM.
Garnacho was.He was unbelievable.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Liverpool's hubris yesterday came back to bite them big time. Not celebrating their goals as if it was too easy (Salah especially), trying to show they could afford to piss away the second half thinking we had nothing to hurt them.... what a bunch of arrogant cnuts they were, fans included.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
A couple of McAteer stories just because he's such a plank.
He was in a nightclub with a few lads in Dublin one night and Jimmy White walked in. On seeing White McAteer shouted " Jimmy White! 180!
Another team he was playing in a charity football match involving stars from other sports.Stephen Cluxton, the Dublin Gaelic football keeper, stretched McAteer with a beaut of a right hook! To much applause I may add.

UDontMessWith24

Great result and really hung in there to get it, let’s not get too excited though as that 2nd half was embarrassing and it could have easily have been another mauling.

Sick of the halfwits chanting about Hillsborough though, I was in the Stretford end with my 9 year old and it was appalling, just need to ban the idiots for life. Its the same ones everytime too, and usually the most offended when the other lot sing about Munich, its all got to stop . . .
First half could have been a mauling as well. Can we be excited about that?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What did Yorke say to the dingbat McAteer?
I caught a few clips and this is the summary.

HT: Yorke says we had played well and maybe marginally better. McAteer scoffs at it and points at the 1-2 scoreline. Yorke says we had more chances. McAteer misrepresents the stats and they then appear on screen showing we had one more shot on target. "There you go, marginally better", says Yorke and McAteer again reminds him Liverpool are winning.

Then at full time after ET McAteer is banging on about Liverpool being better and us jamming it and Yorke tells him they can argue all day but the scoreline is 4-3 :lol:

NLunited

Klopp is all teeth n' tonsils when things are going his way, but it doesn't take much for the mask to slip!
He‘s fine, he annoys me at times, but a decent guy imo. Tears show he‘s a winner. He admitted MU deserved it too.

RedRover

Indeed. Since he said he's going everyone in the press seems to be rooting for him. They'll be sad when he goes because he's good value I suppose.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I caught a few clips and this is the summary.

HT: Yorke says we had played well and maybe marginally better. McAteer scoffs at it and points at the 1-2 scoreline. Yorke says we had more chances. McAteer misrepresents the stats and they then appear on screen showing we had one more shot on target. "There you go, marginally better", says Yorke and McAteer again reminds him Liverpool are winning.

Then at full time after ET McAteer is banging on about Liverpool being better and us jamming it and Yorke tells him they can argue all day but the scoreline is 4-3 :lol:
Cheers

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Am guilty of a grave injustice.High on cloud 9, bursting with joy now that the Scouse still haven't won an FA cup tie at OT since 1921 I gave Amad MOTM.
Garnacho was.He was unbelievable.
:lol:

Not the only one mate. I voted Garnacho straight after the game and Amad was sitting pretty on 35% from equally over-excited fans. I got it but didn't like the 6.8% Alejandro was on.

Order got restored eventually, no worries.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

If we hadn't gone onto win, I wouldn't have found the humour in this photo. Some of the reactions are brilliant :lol:

Edit: I've pasted the URL below because apparently it contains 'potentially sensitive content' and so won't embed on here.

Put h before this: ttps://twitter.com/sarm0161/status/1769690979236262018

Oscar Bonavena

Anyone talking about the foul on Bruno before their second goal? I thought it was a foul
One of those ones where some refs give it and some refs don't. And that ref yesterday definitely wasn't gonna give it.

Unfortunately Bruno dives too easily and looks for soft frees, and it's obvious he's used up all his credit with a lot of PL refs as a result.

GregM40

Emotional rollercoaster of a day, absolutely shattered! Couldn’t hear a peep out of them lot til they went 3-2 up. Great atmosphere that’s been missing a lot this season.

BorisManUtd

Just finished watching the game as I missed it yesterday. We were definitely better first 35 minutes, then dropped last 10 minutes of that half and they took the lead. In second half Liverpool better until like 5 or 10 minutes before Antony's goal, then obviously we could've even won it as Rashford missed that sitter. Thought we were better overall in extra time as well, so all in all deserved to win it.

Also the way Old Trafford erupted after Antony's and especially Amad's goal was beautiful. Where's that guy who said before the game it's his first time watching United at OT yesterday? Really glad for him, he's probably been smiling non-stop ever since Amad's goal.

BaguetteBoy

So almost everywhere the narrative is Liverpool threw it away. But we had the best chances of the game. Really baffle, maybe they all expected us to capitulated like previously against city.

eire-red

Still buzzing after this game. The absolute rollercoaster of emotions. I remember thinking around the 70 minute mark that this is such a depressing way to flop of of the FA Cup with barely a whimper, and then the last 40 mins or so, from 80 onwards and ET, I just can't describe that.

From the Antony goal onwards, and even in ET, we carved Liverpool open multiple times and were fully deserving of the win.

I find it very frustrating how the narrative from the outside is how Liverpool managed to lose the game. Well, you have to praise United for staying in the game and creating chances.

We absolutely battered Liverpool for the last 10 minutes of the 90, and for much of ET. I think the media have talked Liverpool up so much while simultaneously taking the proverbial dump on United all season, it's difficult for them to rationalise how United could have beaten Liverpool.

The other side of the coin is that Liverpool were gifted 2 goals at the end of the first 45, didn't create a whole lot bar those 2 breaks they fluffed, and we're fortunate with 2 of the goals being deflections.

United lost their way for the first 35 mins of the second half, and Liverpool didn't capitalise on some good situations. Other than that, I thought we were the dominant team across the 120 mins, or at the very least we were going punch for punch and carving out quality chances while playing some good football.

All the standout performers were red, xG paints a different story too. I know I shouldn't be frustrated, but it bugs me to no end.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

So almost everywhere the narrative is Liverpool threw it away. But we had the best chances of the game. Really baffle, maybe they all expected us to capitulated like previously against city.
I think that narrative stems from the fact that they had a lot of possession in our half in the second half, without really creating many chances that tested Onana. They could've put us to bed if they really turned the screw but they didn't. Equally, we could've put them to bed in the first 40 minutes had we been more clinical. Yet, Liverpool "controlled" the entire 120 minutes apparently.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It's because the narrative was made before the game and all season that we're shite, Ten Hag is clueless and Liverpool are amazing and would batter us. When this didn't transpire it was twisted that they lost the game rather than us winning it, never mind the way we threw the goals away at the end of the first half and their 2 lucky deflections.

Couldn't believe my ears at half time on Sky the way they talked about us and the likelihood that the score could get ugly despite us playing really well the first half.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 18% Man Utd 1:3 Liverpool