PL W FA Premier League

Luton Town 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 18 February 2024

Gordon S

We conceded 17 shots according to the stats here, same as Newport had.
Will never figure out why the quality of opposition doesn`t seem to matter? Every team with 11 grown men on the other side will find ways to cruise through our midfield. Thankfully our defenders are doing a pretty good job!

But hey ho, we find a way to get the win again! We are in touching distance of the CL spots now!!

Wing Attack Plan R

Are you not entertained?!

That was wild. The cameras so low compared to other stadiums makes it a lot more intense viewing.

Mainoo is fecking brilliant. Whenever we got ourselves into trouble, he was available and turned away from danger. Having a calm, cool head in the middle of the park is transformative from the hair-is-on-fire approach we used to play.

Højlund was a beast today too. Excellent hold up and linking play, should have had 2 assists to go with his goals. I think he’s worth every penny we spent, and then some.

Usual caveats about sloppy passing and so on, but a fun game to watch, moving up the table, and we’ve got some real ballers in Højlund, Garnacho, and Mainoo.

Dalot did really well today too. He’s really risen to the challenge.

Last edited:

Chumpsbechumps

Oh we won the much coveted XG stat, is that good or is the focus on possesion more important this week?

whitbyviking

You a Luton fan?

Nice to hear Luton fans, couldn't hear them the last 20 minutes. Now it's a lap of honour, kisses and "we're staying up." After Morris got done complaining about something again.
Morris is an utter chunt. Lost the run of himself in the first half, with Harry Mc giving him false confidence and performing like an imbecile. Evans came on the second half and made him look what he is; Championship at best.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Ecstatic about the result.

We need significant reinforcements in the back line so we are not so shaky after going two up, and can confidently finish games. We also need to replace Casemiro, and it's ridiculous that we don't even have a left back and had to play Lindelof. Drop-off with Martinez and Luke Shaw injured is tremendous.

As a second priority we need to either teach our wingers how to assist Hojlund or buy new ones (possibly selling Rashford). Hojlund is an exceptional talent, we need to get him proper assist.

RuudTom83

Plenty of the big boys have struggled away at Luton.

Another win and with a bit more composure it could have been double figures on the score sheet.

Gotta feel a bit sorry for the 3 up front as the midfield constantly asks them to chase Hollywood passes.

But let’s keep the winning run going! :devil:

RedIan

You would think we have just been stuffed 5-0 not won 4 on the bounce. State of some of the moaners on here. Luton are a good side at home and we beat them. Great 3 points.
Hojlund looks the real deal now. Mainoo is just class On the ball.
Luton had plenty of the ball but i didnt feel threatened.

LDUred

You have to give Luton a lot of credit, despite the profligacy that will no doubt be levelled at us.

Kaminski and Lokonga were oustanding today. Really impressive performances.

With Bruno's shot, Lokonga had no right to get to that ball, but he somehow stretches out his leg to intercept it.

Did anyone feel that Mainoo was about to score a worldie before the ref played the advantage? He was right on the edge of the area.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Absolutely loved that match.

Could have perhaps controlled it better but Luton let don't anyone do that to them on their patch.

Had to battle for it and we got through with the win.

InfiniteBoredom

I just threw my hands up and laughed at the absolute idiocy of that move.

You’d think that a captain of United and international would have some footballing IQ and read the situation. No, apparently not. Instead they go up the other end and hit the bar.

Absolute shaft.
I was so disgusted with that I nearly broke my screen.

And by his own admission the guy is not going to change, he’s 100% going for the jugular any chance he sees, no composure or restraint whatsoever.

If you hide their faces nobody would’ve thought Mainoo is the 18 year old in his first senior season while Bruno is 29.

JustinC00

We have now conceded 23, 21 and 23 attempts on goal in 3 games
Incorrect, that's just shot attempts, a guy kicking it from outside the box and it going 15 yards of the goal is considered a shot attempt, shots on goal the last 3 matches 4, 10, 3

December_16

Happy with the 3 points, disappointed with the missed chance, furious with the way we can’t keep the ball or control the game for even a minute. Don’t they practice passing the ball at all?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Apparently 1.7-1.9 xG to Luton. I swear this stat is made Up
One major limitation of the stat is that if a shot doesn't happen, it's 0 xG. So chances like that Garnacho one, where he basically has an open goal but doesn't shoot at that point are entirely disregarded.

Same for if a striker is sliding across to tap a cutback into an empty net but misses making contact by 1mm.

Superunknown

I was very sceptical at the start of the season that Mainoo could really come in and be counted on. However, he has looked absolutely superb. He's already our best midfield. However, the players around him are so wasteful. I don't see Casemiro + Mainoo + Bruno as a viable midfield three. We just give away the ball far too much.

Chuffed that Hojlund got more goals. Hoping he can keep this going until the end of the season. We need contributions from others.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
@Dirty Schwein , you all right, buddy? Heard you screaming “you fecking wankers” all match long. Your boys put up a helluva fight.
Haha yeah it's all good. I feared the worst when Ade got injured in the warm up but we gave a good account of ourselves and that's all you can ask for. That guy screaming wanker was hilarious :lol:

CoopersDream

Great the first 15, poor the following 30 minutes. Pretty good control of the second half all in all, even though I'd prefer us to have more of the ball.

TheGame

doomers can jog on

Liverpool needed a 95th min goal to draw there
Arsenal needed a 97th min goal to win there
City also won 2-1 there
Newcastle lost there
Brighton lost there
Spurs won 1-0

Playing at Kenilworth Road hasn't been easy for top half sides

2 months ago we would have threw that match away. 3 points is 3 points. You don't get extra points for style.
Shhhhh don’t talk sense on here. The doom mongers want to moan and whinge.

suheilsworld

Nervy as always and we’ll be screwed against city but will take the win today and worry about city when the time comes. Don’t see us improving this season but these 3 points matter when we not playing good. Another big 3 pointer next weekend. Mainoo is class and the shining light of an abysmal performing season

United492

Hard fought win, which is what we thought it was likely to be, those of us positive enough to predict a win anyway.

The first 10-15 we were really decent and overall, having lost 2 defenders again, we defended really well. Created a hell of a lot of chances and the scoreline flattered Luton a little and kept them in it. Their keeper is decent, but apart from their goal I don't remember Onana having to make any outstanding saves.

Mainoo is next level. Rasmus....Good signing right there.

Clearly there were a number of negatives to take from the game, but I'm happy to take the positives.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Guess mediocrity can be fun for some. Carry on.
Winning end to end football games with loads of chances (most shots of any PL fixture this season apparently) is fun, yes. I don’t know what the point would be in watching it otherwise?

Woziak

I think people are starting to realise you can’t play possession football with Bruno, he can’t control the tempo of a game, Even with a 1 min on a corner he took a shot, he’s on the decline, more so than Bruno and we need a serious overhaul of the midfield, Kobie is one shining light, we need Florian Witz, Kephium Thurham and maybe Adrien Rabiot, Bruno should be benched for few games and play Eriksen as 10, today Barkley completely controlled the MIdfield until the second half when Kobie went into CM/DM.

Right now I’d swap Eriksen and Amrabat for Ross Barkley and give him twice his Luton wage of 50k per week.

Irwin99

I didn't think it was a bad game but very sloppy in periods. It's so weird when our 18 year old academy product is by far the most composed player we have.

Garnacho, Bruno and Rashford should have scored and made the game a lot easier. Really pleased with the 3 points and we're 100% in the top 4 race now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
3 points and on we go.

I think if we’d been bringing Mount on there instead of McT we’d probably have picked them off for a few more.

Bruno needs to play behind the striker or be dropped. If we had composed player instead on days like today…

Rashford pulls out of 90% of his 50/50s and makes this half hearted gesture to get the ball back. Players on his side know they’ve got time once they take the ball. If we had a braver harder working player I think we’d do better. Garnacho and Rasmus are already direct enough

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I think people are starting to realise you can’t play possession football with Bruno, he can’t control the tempo of a game, Even with a 1 min on a corner he took a shot, he’s on the decline, more so than Bruno and we need a serious overhaul of the midfield, Kobie is one shining light, we need Florian Witz, Kephium Thurham and maybe Adrien Rabiot, Bruno should be benched for few games and play Eriksen as 10, today Barkley completely controlled the MIdfield until the second half when Kobie went into CM/DM.

Right now I’d swap Eriksen and Amrabat for Ross Barkley and give him twice his Luton wage of 50k per week.
Dangerous times ahead with Casemiro, Bruno, Varane, Maguire all ageing out of the team and needing replacing soon with so little money to go on replacements. Need Saudi to save us with some daft bids.

SER19

We conceded 17 shots according to the stats here, same as Newport had.
Will never figure out why the quality of opposition doesn`t seem to matter? Every team with 11 grown men on the other side will find ways to cruise through our midfield. Thankfully our defenders are doing a pretty good job!

But hey ho, we find a way to get the win again! We are in touching distance of the CL spots now!!
misrepresents things i think. they had 4 on target and countless nothing blasts from around the box.

siw2007

It’s 3 points, but it was ugly. Over the course of the game I would say that we were deserved winners as we created the better chances, but when you don’t take them then you are always vulnerable. However, I am annoyed with how the team were unable to control the game at 2-0 and were 2nd to every ball all game, a better team than Luton would have beaten us today. Also, we can’t seem to escape the injuries, just as we thought we could play our best team, they just come right back.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 67% of 291 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw