PL W FA Premier League

Luton Town 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 18 February 2024

spinblade

Quality control
Today I learned that a win can feel like a loss.
And our counterattacking (wait, "transition" is the euphemism), unprepared, non-entity plonker of a coach manages to keep marching on... somehow.

swedishgloryhunter

I think this was all part of ten hags masterplan, make Luton feel like they are good enough to beat top sides and still win the game. Luton next games are Liverpool, city and villa.

next_number_seven

Can't believe we're only 9 points off city in car crash season.

Also we're in contention for top4/5

Hughie77

3pts.. that's all that matters, the Luton players a few anyway were deliberately looking for fouls looking for the ref to give Yellows.. Casemiro was the main one who they targeted . Had to be replaced as the ref was going to send him off.
Comfy game again made difficult. J Evans class . Maguire was back to his usual self after a few decent games.. another game we should wrap up early doors.

InfiniteBoredom

It’s 3 points, but it was ugly. Over the course of the game I would say that we were deserved winners as we created the better chances, but when you don’t take them then you are always vulnerable. However, I am annoyed with how the team were unable to control the game at 2-0 and were 2nd to every ball all game, a better team than Luton would have beaten us today. Also, we can’t seem to escape the injuries, just as we thought we could play our best team, they just come right back.
Not many better teams in the league than Luton at home in these matches, they drew Liverpool, beat Newcastle and Brighton and only lost by a goal to us, Assna, City and Spurs.

That being said, the way we completely lose our head for a while after conceding a goal is déjà vu all over again, and at this point I’m not sure what can be done before that particular disease infects our youngsters as well.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
We should have scored 4. I can barely remember a Luton chance.

Decent performance, great run. On we go.

evil_geko

How are some people saying "we were lucky today" when we had double the xG compared to Luton? Do we use that magical stat only when want to moan about United and ignore it otherwise?

xG aside, result should have been something like 2:5 realistically. "Lucky" my arse.

RoyH1

We were really looking at the clock the last 10 minutes but who cares? 3 points away in a shithole stadium like Luton's is always to be appreciated.

That said, other than Højlund, the lads really need to work on their finishing. We left 3, 4 clear changes on the field.

spinblade

Genuinely feels like a loss.
Frantic, frenetic, ill-coached, backfoot counterattacking seems to be our guy's only thing. And then he'll say after this match, "We showed good passion, eh? You said we lacked passion? But see? 40% possession but we win, eh? But we needed to control the game better and we'll work on that," and utter crap like that and then next match we'll come out and do the exact same thing: rely on sporadic moments from talented players to keep this plonker in a job for a few more weeks.

united for life

Important 3 points to move closer to the top 4. That’s the most important thing. Performance was rubbish except for the first 10 minutes which were mediocre.

Woodzy

Shocking referee performance mind.
Booking Casemiro for the first one when it wasn’t a foul, and then not booking him at all for a sending off on the second was bizarre.

Then the Mainoo booking.

Winrar

Yet another tough watch outside the first minutes. Luton away has been a deceptively tricky away fixture for many though so I'll take it.

BorisManUtd

Great start to the game, it was 7-0 in shots after 12 minutes and we could've scored 3rd goal in that period. Then they score and after that we were really poor for rest of that half. I was dreading 2nd half but actually thought we were good in it in terms of chances created and not letting opponent many good situations. Again we struggled to control the game and to me that is main issue with this team, you rarely have sense we're in control and cruising towards the win.

Our 1st goal obviously came from their mistake but we still should've scored 2 more. Luton had xg of 2 but tbh can't remember many big chances they had. They had that one shot that went really close to the post and Barkley hit the bar in the last minute but other than that we dealt well with their attacks. I was sure they'd scored from one of those corners but our defence surprisingly dealt with all of those (except for Barkley's of course).

Another big 3 points and we move closer to Spurs and Villa.

siw2007

Not many better teams in the league than Luton at home in these matches, they drew Liverpool, beat Newcastle and Brighton and only lost by a goal to us, Assna, City and Spurs.

That being said, the way we completely lose our head for a while after conceding a goal is déjà vu all over again, and at this point I’m not sure what can be done before that particular disease infects our youngsters as well.
True, credit to Luton they gave it their all and they have a great record at making it difficult at home. I do feel like that we should have buried them though when we are given the opportunity.

It comes down to decision making. We are easy to counter because the players over commit when we win the ball and then we give it away because we don’t make the right decision. The team need to realise that you don’t need to go chasing the game at 2-0 up, yes still try and get a third, but you don’t need to risk so much.

Griberg

Supports
Brøndby
Too many people are being nice to Garnacho. No doubt he has got talent and skills, but he is the most selfish player - even more than Rashford.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
After a superb start we folded after their goal. The only player who stood up was Mainoo, then Evans when he came on. Bruno is so wasteful with the ball - he was abysmal today. There points, move on, but we need so much improvement all over the park.

Wing Attack Plan R

Højlund, Garnacho, and Mainoo are definitely the start of something great. Bruno is still our greatest influence in a match, but his sloppiness is maddening. Since he and Mount play basically the same position, I wonder if Mount will thrive in that role with these other players around him. Bruno turns 30 in September, so he still has 2 or 3 years, minimum, at the top. He never tires and never gets injured, so Mount isn't getting any minutes that way.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hojlund, Mainoo and Varane excellent.

Bruno, Rashford, Maguire, Casemiro with abhorrent performances. Garnacho just a disaster in that second half.

Another pretty horrible game to watch where we get absolutely battered and fluke a result. If players could finish it might have ended 5-5.
What a stupid assessment of the game.

Luton with an xG of 1 and United with 3.

Battered indeed.

RedOrange

Great start to the game, it was 7-0 in shots after 12 minutes and we could've scored 3rd goal in that period. Then they score and after that we were really poor for rest of that half. I was dreading 2nd half but actually thought we were good in it in terms of chances created and not letting opponent many good situations. Again we struggled to control the game and to me that is main issue with this team, you rarely have sense we're in control and cruising towards the win.

Our 1st goal obviously came from their mistake but we still should've scored 2 more. Luton had xg of 2 but tbh can't remember many big chances they had. They had that one shot that went really close to the post and Barkley hit the bar in the last minute but other than that we dealt well with their attacks. I was sure they'd scored from one of those corners but our defence surprisingly dealt with all of those (except for Barkley's of course).

Another big 3 points and we move closer to Spurs and Villa.
I would like to point out that that mistake was induced by Hojlund putting the work in and pressing that CB. Good things happen when you put the work in off the ball.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
A horrible 2 watch, yet somehow we got the points. Rashers was awful, Casemiro is done. We are years away from challenging for the title.

Beginning to feel sorry for genuine prospects like Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund being surrounded by the very average.

wolvored

Welcome the 3 points and Hojlund at last seeming to slowly become the real deal. Garnacho and Rashford still hanging onto the ball too long and Onana too slow to release the ball. I did think we were going to throw it away 2nd half, but credit to the defence. Mainoo motm

TheReligion

Abusive
A horrible 2 watch, yet somehow we got the points. Rashers was awful, Casemiro is done. We are years away from challenging for the title.

Beginning to feel sorry for genuine prospects like Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund being surrounded by the very average.
What a stupid post

BorisManUtd

I would like to point out that that mistake was induced by Hojlund putting the work in and pressing that CB. Good things happen when you put the work in off the ball.
Of course. But in most situations defender still won't make that mistake.

Revan

Assumptionman
For once, we had by far the better chances and should have won the match quite comfortably.

Saying that, it was far from comfortable and while we missed good chances (Bruno and Garnacho, looking at you), Luton dominated in other aspects.

Still, while I do not think that the performances have massively improved, we are definitely getting very good results and at this stage, we can hope for that fifth or fourth position that gives UCL.

KrasHammerhand

I watched a very different game. Casemero doesn’t have the legs anymore, I wanted him out during the last transfer. I am now glad he didn’t go, I think he is a mentor to Mainoo. Hojlund has been great in 2024. I wish Garnacho wasn’t such a black home in regards to his passing. Rashford played solid the counter attacking is great, the finishing is still awful. I bloody well enjoy watching this more than before Christmas.

we will need some luck to make top four, AV has really dropped off.

croadyman

Pleased with the win,however worrying we gave another team 20+ shots again. Can't afford to do that against City and be so wasteful in 1 on 1 situations.

Glorio

We were not lucky to win (apart perhaps from not picking a red), we allowed a few chances but in the second half we created an absolute glut of clear chances. Seriously we need to get a lot more ruthless.

arthurka

Not a stellar performance, but we were playing aganst 12 men. That ref acted like a lifelong Luton fan.
Still he gave us a chance to get that slow Brazilian lumber jack off. We should've been down to 10 man. Some absolutely shocking performances.

RedOrange

Of course. But in most situations defender still won't make that mistake.
So what? In most situations bicycle kicks fly over the bar for a goal kick. It doesn't devalue the goals when it comes off. Pressing the CB there doesn't have any downsides and if it's done consistently over the course of a season it will result in an extra goal or three, and the effort should be commended.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
3pts.. that's all that matters, the Luton players a few anyway were deliberately looking for fouls looking for the ref to give Yellows.. Casemiro was the main one who they targeted . Had to be replaced as the ref was going to send him off.
Comfy game again made difficult. J Evans class . Maguire was back to his usual self after a few decent games.. another game we should wrap up early doors.
Agreed.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 67% of 291 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win