LC W League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 1:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 October 2016

Danillaco

I was thinking the same with Smallings and Blind, imagine Smallings physical attributes combined with Blinds football brain.
But then, you would lose that beautiful face and dreamy hair of his. Blind is love, but love is not blind.

Danillaco

We need a Carrick replacement. Instantly improves us in the build up. Midfield three with Hererra and Pogba could be excellent.. they have the energy to let him play. Just a shame his age means he can't do it week in week out.
We could test Schneiderlin. He's a hell of a player when given a consistent run. Him, with Ander and Pogba would be very powerul, imo.

prath92

Missed the game but saw the H/Ls. Who was it that ran like a madman and slid in to block an iheanacho shot? First impression was Shaw but then seemed like one of Rojo Herrera or Carrick

Manny

Grammar Police
Has anyone seen this video yet? Why so bitter...

Yep ask the daytrippers, congregated by the coaches, where they are from and then act surprised that they are not from Manchester. Tool... :lol:

Drz

About the goal. What happened between Herrera and Fernando? It looked like Herrera just smashes him out of the way like an NFL blocker so Mata can shoot. But Fernando, or anyone else in blue, didn't try to claim anything, despite Mike Dean's long pause before giving it. I was expecting it to be disallowed as it happened.
I think Herrera wanted to trap the ball, and Fernando wanted to nick it away; ended up in tangled legs. The referee had his arms raised suggesting play-on, as if one of Herrera or Fernando was asking for a foul or something.

marlowe78

It's been interesting to see the mix of press and fan reactions to this game. IMO this was a meaty win for us, or at least can become one. The competition itself means little in the big picture of things but this was a match where two top managers were coming off mediocre/bad results and the outcome could relieve pressure from one while heaping more of it on the other. This was especially true in Jose's case after the Chelsea debacle and quite honestly, I don't think his psyche needs any more embarrassing setbacks.

I think it's hyperbole to say that we beat City's B team, they had a good number of veteran players in the lineup, especially in the backline, and they could very easily have taken the game to us. While our attacking play was poor in the first 45 (the sea-like pitch didn't help any), we were defensively solid for all of the game and City didn't trouble us, except for that header chance early on. In the second 45 we settled into our attack and had some nice periods of buildup. We should've had at least another goal when Pogba hit the post and maybe a third had Ibra one-timed that nice cross from Rashford.

Remember how many people (including me) were fearing a battering when Rojo and Blind were announced as our CB pairing? Well...it turns out they didn't have to do a whole lot. Rojo was surprisingly good in the few times he was needed in pressing and he did a nice job of playing out from the back. In the passing aspect I would've expected the complete opposite, with Blind taking that role. I had rated Rojo as a CB when he first played for us, so hopefully he is showing signs of improvement under Mourinho and we'll see better games from him.

A few other thoughts:

* I've criticized Valencia a lot but he has been excellent. Strong and looking much better in playing his fullback role. The corrective surgery on his leg may have worked wonders. Hope his wrist problem clears up.

* Shaw, who I thought was our worst player in the Europa League game against Fenerbache, was again poor in the first 45 but looked livelier in the second. It looks like he is going to need game time to improve.

* I didn't think Herrera had an exceptional game per se, but you have to love his energy and passion. Badly needed in the team these days. Also a vintage performance from Carrick, we are going to sorely miss him unless we get his clone very soon.

* Was pretty happy with the front 4. Another solid game from Mata, while Rashford was an ongoing threat on the run. Pogba is still spotty in his performances but if he can improve his relationship on the pitch with everyone around him, this could be an incredible talent that we'll have leading our midfield. I'm a bit pissed that Ibra missed the Rashford cross but he made some good passes, so I won't go hard on him.

The 'B' City team that they fielded IMO would have a good go against most teams in the league, so allowing them 0 shots on target is nothing to sneeze at. And at any rate, it's Pep's problem to work out. For us, I would rate 7/10.

Cantonagotmehere

It's been interesting to see the mix of press and fan reactions to this game. IMO this was a meaty win for us, or at least can become one. The competition itself means little in the big picture of things but this was a match where two top managers were coming off mediocre/bad results and the outcome could relieve pressure from one while heaping more of it on the other. This was especially true in Jose's case after the Chelsea debacle and quite honestly, I don't think his psyche needs any more embarrassing setbacks.

I think it's hyperbole to say that we beat City's B team, they had a good number of veteran players in the lineup, especially in the backline, and they could very easily have taken the game to us. While our attacking play was poor in the first 45 (the sea-like pitch didn't help any), we were defensively solid for all of the game and City didn't trouble us, except for that header chance early on. In the second 45 we settled into our attack and had some nice periods of buildup. We should've had at least another goal when Pogba hit the post and maybe a third had Ibra one-timed that nice cross from Rashford.

Remember how many people (including me) were fearing a battering when Rojo and Blind were announced as our CB pairing? Well...it turns out they didn't have to do a whole lot. Rojo was surprisingly good in the few times he was needed in pressing and he did a nice job of playing out from the back. In the passing aspect I would've expected the complete opposite, with Blind taking that role. I had rated Rojo as a CB when he first played for us, so hopefully he is showing signs of improvement under Mourinho and we'll see better games from him.

A few other thoughts:

* I've criticized Valencia a lot but he has been excellent. Strong and looking much better in playing his fullback role. The corrective surgery on his leg may have worked wonders. Hope his wrist problem clears up.

* Shaw, who I thought was our worst player in the Europa League game against Fenerbache, was again poor in the first 45 but looked livelier in the second. It looks like he is going to need game time to improve.

* I didn't think Herrera had an exceptional game per se, but you have to love his energy and passion. Badly needed in the team these days. Also a vintage performance from Carrick, we are going to sorely miss him unless we get his clone very soon.

* Was pretty happy with the front 4. Another solid game from Mata, while Rashford was an ongoing threat on the run. Pogba is still spotty in his performances but if he can improve his relationship on the pitch with everyone around him, this could be an incredible talent that we'll have leading our midfield. I'm a bit pissed that Ibra missed the Rashford cross but he made some good passes, so I won't go hard on him.

The 'B' City team that they fielded IMO would have a good go against most teams in the league, so allowing them 0 shots on target is nothing to sneeze at. And at any rate, it's Pep's problem to work out. For us, I would rate 7/10.
Great post. This why I like this place. I can put up with all the overreacting for stuff like this. :)

TheReligion

Abusive
I think Jose played it well. We all know we played our first team against their kids but the media seem to....forgot about it. The headlines make our win yesterday look as if it was a battle of England. We halted a winless run, we beat great rival, we got a much needed ego-boosting win.
You're too kind to City. Kompany, OtamendI, Clichy, Nolito, Navas, Fernando, 40m Sane.. Stering Aguero Kolorov from the bench. . Iheanacho up front equates to Rashford for us. .

Don't see a whole lot of kids there to be honest which is why no one has mentioned it.

Danillaco

Missed the game but saw the H/Ls. Who was it that ran like a madman and slid in to block an iheanacho shot? First impression was Shaw but then seemed like one of Rojo Herrera or Carrick
If my memory serves me right, it was Rojo. He had a very good night.

donkeyfish

Fairly sure I saw a stat from that game about Pogba covering more ground than most other players. But he's obviously not maintained that work-rate. For whatever reason.
Pogba was 4th I think in the Liverpool game, only Henderson, Fellaini and Herrera outran him. They all had 11.xx km. Which corresponds to the general perception of the game as well, he pressed a lot and was diligent.

I'd be interested to know who covers what distance on average in our team if there is anywhere that provides those statistics.
It costs money sadly, Opta makes that kind of stats - and we only get small drops of it by watching the post-game shows. Man City has a free dataset available, but its from 2011 I think.

Fellaini is usually high up, so is Mata.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pogba was 4th I think in the Liverpool game, only Henderson, Fellaini and Herrera outran him. They all had 11.xx km. Which corresponds to the general perception of the game as well, he pressed a lot and was diligent.

It costs money sadly, Opta makes that kind of stats - and we only get small drops of it by watching the post-game shows. Man City has a free dataset available, but its from 2011 I think.

Fellaini is usually high up, so is Mata.
Im not sure why people obsess about the overall distance covered stats alone. I think they have to be refective to that players performance and role.

Fellaini trudging about all over the pitch but being second to everything or Carrick covering less ground but timing his sprints and intercepting the ball with accuracy..

I know which I'd prefer.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
You're too kind to City. Kompany, OtamendI, Clichy, Nolito, Navas, Fernando, 40m Sane.. Stering Aguero Kolorov from the bench. . Iheanacho up front equates to Rashford for us. .

Don't see a whole lot of kids there to be honest which is why no one has mentioned it.
Even better then! I hope we have enough recovery time until Saturday.

donkeyfish

Im not sure why people obsess about the overall distance covered stats alone. I think they have to be refective to that players performance and role.

Fellaini trudging about all over the pitch but being second to everything or Carrick covering less ground but timing his sprints and intercepting the ball with accuracy..

I know which I'd prefer.
For me it is to augment my impression of a game. As a supporter, I will always be unable to observe everything. Looking at numbers will indicate areas where I completely misread what is happening.

As an example, stats has helped me get a much more nuanced view on what it means to be fast. Another example, it has forced me to acknowledge how small the difference between players are in some areas.

But how much distance you cover, in isolation, is not very useful I agree. It is not interpreted in isolation though, it is an extra piece of information to add to your other perceptions of the game.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Second half was better but still miles away from what we should be able to produce looking at the Team sheet and the figures we paid.
The one gif some pages earlier Shows more or less the only impressive attack we managed to pull off.

Mkhi must have inappropriately touched Mourinhos daughter (or wife) - I cannot think of any reasonable Explanation why he is not a permanent starter when fit.

The same goes for Martial. Our attacking Play is clumsy and too slow.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Even if the first half was poor, and maybe some of you will jump, I tough Herrera was not good yesterday.

Or maybe I can say that his standard dropped since this weekend.

He was tired and didn't played good balls.

Hope he'll get a bit of rest this weekend too
He was poor for the first 20-25 minutes, but he was good (bordering on very good) for the rest of the match.

Cantonagotmehere

Second half was better but still miles away from what we should be able to produce looking at the Team sheet and the figures we paid.
The one gif some pages earlier Shows more or less the only impressive attack we managed to pull off.

Mkhi must have inappropriately touched Mourinhos daughter (or wife) - I cannot think of any reasonable Explanation why he is not a permanent starter when fit.

The same goes for Martial. Our attacking Play is clumsy and too slow.
I think you are waaaaaaay overthinking things.

DanClancy

7 of City's youth/reserves that played against us were involved in beating Barca last night.

Treble

7 of City's youth/reserves that played against us were involved in beating Barca last night.
IIRC, only Otamendi and Caballero started vs United. Kolarov,Agüero and Sterling were subbed in in the second half vs United. That makes 5.

DanClancy

IIRC, only Otamendi and Caballero started vs United. Kolarov,Agüero and Sterling were subbed in in the second half vs United. That makes 5.
I did get it wrong as there was 8 and not 5; Navas, Fernando & Nolito all appeared in both games too.

Treble

I did get it wrong as there was 8 and not 5; Navas, Fernando & Nolito all appeared in both games too.
Not sure what you are talking about. Compare the line-ups vs United and Barca and count the players who played in both games.

DanClancy

Not sure what you are talking about. Compare the line-ups vs United and Barca and count the players who played in both games.

Its not difficult City had 8 players who were involved in both games.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 475 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 12% Man Utd 0:5 Man City