PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 April 2018

peridigm

How's it going today for those who are forced to associate or have to work with City fans? :devil:

Shimo

Had never turned off a game until half time until Saturday - and stupidly I did. That first half was just so bad, that I couldn't see any way back. Even before the stats were being thrown about, I said to my friend, forget shot on target, we hadn't even tried a shot of any kind at all. Was at a friend's place and came home and had a busy day ahead, so I started getting ready and all of a sudden 2-2? Thought it was a mistake and turned the tele back on. Wow ! Big time credit to them.

Robertd0803

Thank God we won. Struggling to put the extent of the the sheer relief and joy at full time in to words which is why its taken so long for me to post here. I was in the depths of despair after Gundoguns goal and turned it off in disgust and sheer fury. (Literally only been maybe 4-5 matches ever in my life that Ive done that.) I just couldn't handle the thought of them winning and rubbing our noses in it forever. Checked the score a while later and saw it was 2-2 so wasn't jinxing things by turning it back on. Didn't check the score until full time either and then went mental.

As comebacks go, being 2-0 down away against your local rival who are apparentaly the greatest team of all time (like fcuk they are) and winning 3-2 and ruining their celebration is pretty damn sweet.

Not even counting the first half when rating the players but that second half was everything you could want from a group of players. That half time team talk must have been incredible. I feel like saying thank you to the players, Jose and the coaching staff for avoiding the humiliation.

Yeah we were lucky Sterling couldn't score in a brothel Saturday and that City weren't given 2 penalties but seriously who gives a damn?

We won from 2-0 down, moved further ahead of Liverpool (added bonus) and most importantly stopped them winning the league against us. Anything else doesn't matter right now.

Flytan

We have huge amounts of transfer funds too and no you can play good football and win titles however much Mourinho convinces us that we can't.
Just gonna ignore us playing dire football under SAF his last few years then?

And of course we "can". But the only manager out there that does it with his own philosophy whilst also winning is currently at City. Klopp and Poch haven't won a free sandwich. And sure we have a lot of transfer funds, but not nearly enough as City and not nearly enough to take us out of the absolute shit hole LVG left us in. Listen, I don't particularly like or dislike Mourinho. I think he's the best option we have unless another manager starts to make a name for himself in the world but to sit there and complain after a massive 3-2 victory over the champions elect on their field is just insane. You simply cannot complain how he set up Saturday. You're delusional if you do.

Silas

Didn't even notice this at the time haha.

el3mel

Didn't even notice this at the time haha.
It seems most of the United stuff did that as well. Sir Bobby, Ed and Gill.

BTW, remember seeing this photo of SAF during the first half and the way he was very depressed about the result made me pretty sick for him. True Legend. Hopefully the end result cheered him and made him remember the comebacks he used to make. :drool:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
The white sheet was to form part of the mural that City fans held up before the game.

Vilev

Uhh I've watched literally every game except one I think, and yeah I agree with you on those, hence why I mentioned it was an issue in my post. But what we did against City wasn't the same thing at all.
It was.
Come on, do you really think that the reason for conceding possession and defending deep was that we played against City? How do you explain all other cases then? It's obvious that if United played against weaker side we would have done the same, drop back deep and defend for our lives.
And I disagree that it's our "style". It's strategy, not a style. A strategy is something that changes as the game ebbs and flows while a style is something more permanent.
A strategy continuously deployed is called "style".
You say the point is to "win titles", okay, LVG's "philosophy" failed miserably.
Sure cause it was clueless, i maintain that LVG's second season was the worst United side in terms of style of play. Worse than even Moyes, never mind Mourinho.
If you remember the last few years of SAF we didn't play particularly great football and still won titles.
That's simply stupid. We played some phenomenal football the last time we won the title, United were scoring leaders in the league, that is obvious proof right here. After Fergie never did we even came close to repeating those scoring numbers.
So I ask you this, is it more important to play football like Klopp or to actually win titles?
That's a faulty logic. If you are a top team, you can easily do both. Fergie done both, City is doing both now, Real, Barca, Munich - none of them are choosing either "title" or "style". As for money we clearly have enough, our net transfer outlay in the last 4 years have been maybe in top three in the whole world (or Europe if you will), PSG spent more and maybe City as well, but hardly by much.
What i would say, is that for a team of MU pedigree winning games without style simply won't do. It's derogatory and it's pathetic. I am 100% okay with Porto or Atletico winning like that, because they may not have other options. But a team that spends what, like 300m on transfers in the last two years clearly have these option. In abundance.

Vilev

Nah. I've rewatched that second half and what you describe is totally not on. We didn't sit back and stack 10 players in the box until the final minutes
Well i do have the game on my drive as well, what you want screens showing 10 united players near the box?
Since we scored we hardly attacked at all and created almost nothing.
Luck is nonsense. Poor finishing or good goalkeeping aren't down to luck, they are critical skills in the game. United weren't unlucky in all those 0-0 draws last season, we were unbelievably poor at finishing and it deserved criticism.
"Poor finishing" is not ultimate or homogeneous characteristic. It's actually a discrete one. For example City does not have "poor finishing", actually in the majority of games their finishing is quite good. But because it's discrete, sometimes they have tremendous finishing, way better than their average one and then sometimes they have much worse one. Now getting the later one is luck.
Also ball hitting posts and stuff is also luck, for example that Gundogan shot that hit the post was not an examples of poor finishing, actually it was great and De Gea was beaten, but german was simply unlucky.

Vilev

That's a stupid statement here, right there, ignoring History. Sir Alex Ferguson also protected many leads in the same way, it's all about the winning mentality.
Fergie never defended like that over the whole season. It was never a United style. In some cases the team was forced to do it, sure. But that was like maybe 2-3 times a season and not a part of the usual strategy. Just an occurrence.
We were also much more attacking team under Fergie. Look at how many times United won the league and was league top scoring team?
Clearly the team was wired differently. Even in games when we were more defensive, we would still have a go. Yes there were some dire 0-0 as well, but they were the result of team playing badly and giving the managers what it wanted, not a deliberate strategy. While Jose's 0-0 at Anfield were exactly what he wanted.

Akshay

Staff
Well i do have the game on my drive as well, what you want screens showing 10 united players near the box?
Since we scored we hardly attacked at all and created almost nothing.
"Poor finishing" is not ultimate or homogeneous characteristic. It's actually a discrete one. For example City does not have "poor finishing", actually in the majority of games their finishing is quite good. But because it's discrete, sometimes they have tremendous finishing, way better than their average one and then sometimes they have much worse one. Now getting the later one is luck.
Also ball hitting posts and stuff is also luck, for example that Gundogan shot that hit the post was not an examples of poor finishing, actually it was great and De Gea was beaten, but german was simply unlucky.
I saw no change in how we defended in the 20 minutes you claim we were on top to the next 10 or so after. Also we didn't stop attacking. The period where we started sitting back and not venturing too much forward actually came later, and even then we were making counters mostly stopped by City's cynical fouling.

It's absolutely not luck, look at Sterling's poor finishing against De Gea when we beat Liverpool 3-0 under LVG. It was the same this weekend. You'd have us believe it was entirely coincidence. You also can't say that a player who missed the target was unlucky not to score and 'beat the keeper', well if he'd put it too close to the keeper it would have been saved too. It's all part of the game. Did Pogba suddenly get more credit for the many times he hit the post last season? It didn't make him a great scorer that he had about ten shots hit the woodwork, it was actually a concern and that's how it should be.

bleedred

The absolute sense of entitlement is astonishing among football fans these days, not just with United but with any club. A time, where Leicester sack their league winning manager and one of the greatest ever players for Real gets booed.

A team could win the treble and yet fans would want the manager sacked the next year for not doing it again!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The absolute sense of entitlement is astonishing among football fans these days, not just with United but with any club. A time, where Leicester sack their league winning manager and one of the greatest ever players for Real gets booed.

A team could win the treble and yet fans would want the manager sacked the next year for not doing it again!
Del Bosque won 2 UCLs with RM, got sacked.Wins everything as national manager of Spain. One example of showing them what they missed

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Fergie never defended like that over the whole season. It was never a United style. In some cases the team was forced to do it, sure. But that was like maybe 2-3 times a season and not a part of the usual strategy. Just an occurrence.
We were also much more attacking team under Fergie. Look at how many times United won the league and was league top scoring team?
Clearly the team was wired differently. Even in games when we were more defensive, we would still have a go. Yes there were some dire 0-0 as well, but they were the result of team playing badly and giving the managers what it wanted, not a deliberate strategy. While Jose's 0-0 at Anfield were exactly what he wanted.
Well, even with Tevez,Ronaldo and Rooney we won quite a number 1-0 IIRC

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Interesting look at the game. Still forumalting my own thoughts on it. Keen to listen to this week's Botham line as Danny Higginbotham tends to offer good chat on tactics.

peridigm

Interesting look at the game. Still forumalting my own thoughts on it. Keen to listen to this week's Botham line as Danny Higginbotham tends to offer good chat on tactics.
Great content but delivery was annoying. Thanks for sharing.

ZAGREB RED

Can't believe I didn't notice at the time, but it was only after watching the highlights I realised that Sanchez had a hand in all three goals. He has had a tough time of it pretty much since he signed, so hopefully this will be a sign of things to come. He is a class player and it was good to see both him and Pogba having a real impact in the City game.

Offsideagain

Dunno if it’s true or just made up, but I believe there were 1000’s of ‘Man City PL Champions 7th April 2018’ tee shirts ready to be handed out that are now at the incinerators. Ho ho ho.

Come on Liverpool.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
Great tactical video above - - thanks for sharing (can’t reply to actual post as don’t have embed privileges yet). Many united fans who chat about tactics would do well to watch that. Does my head in to hear people simply say United parked the bus or Jose has the shackles on etc. The game is like chess at times with managers tweaking and shifting personnel about all over the place thereby changing proceedings. I love these tactical videos as they show just how incredible football game management is. Also shows how clueless most fans are about tactics when you hear some of the stuff spouted mid game and post game.

Red Primus

Quick translation - Herrera spitting on the City shield.

Absolutely love that. Guessing this is at half time?
It'll be very amusing indeed if Herera develops a superstition where he needs to spit on City's crest every time they meet to win the game.

Full bodied red

Got into a plane on Saturday night a few seconds after half time whistle having been listening to Radio 5 and Robbie Savage pulling us to pieces and Alan Green ( was it? ) telling the world that we should have been, could have been, 5-0 down as the half time whistle blew.

Got off the plane UK equivalent of 05.00am Sunday and went straight to bed.

Woke up yesterday at UK equivalent of 13.00pm, had some breakfast, farted around for a couple of hours, and finally decided to look on here for the final score and comments about how shit we had been.

Imagine just how sweet that moment was when I saw the final score....Never had a micro-moment of joy like that before and probably unlikely to ever happen again.

Huge, huge Thanks to my club, my team, our players, our player's moms and fathers, their hairdressers and their chauffeurs without whom none my happiness would be possible....

Edited to add - And , of course, Mr Atkinson....

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For those of you who are interested, here is the tunnel cam inside MCFC.
We see the players arriving for duty, going out to the start the match, returning at half time (2-0), going back out for the 2nd half, then returning at full time.
What's itneresting is that their seems to be very little chatter (from both teams' players). Most of the players seem to be walking in single file.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I[/SPOILER]

BTW, remember seeing this photo of SAF during the first half and the way he was very depressed about the result made me pretty sick for him. True Legend.
I've never so infuriated in my decades of watching United. Even to the point of creating a (knee-jerk) thread at half time.

Can't imagine what went through the old man mind seeing that United dynasty he'd been built for 25 years, playing like trash like that.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
For those of you who are interested, here is the tunnel cam inside MCFC.
We see the players arriving for duty, going out to the start the match, returning at half time (2-0), going back out for the 2nd half, then returning at full time.
What's itneresting is that their seems to be very little chatter (from both teams' players). Most of the players seem to be walking in single file.

Noticed they didn't show the United players come back after Full Time.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 78% of 868 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 554 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw