PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 April 2018

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I can only presume you don't 'get' what winning a derby means.
I’d go beyond that, tbf, to “the entire concept of football support”. Because, hey, if random individual victories don’t matter, why bother going to anything that isn’t a big game or a final? I mean, why even support someone like Luton Town at all? Complete waste of time.

feck deriving any joy from random fleeting isolated moments of excitement during the endless, consuming, ever expensive pilgrimage that is active football fandom. The away end should’ve all stood in judgmental silence and tutted at them for daring to enjoy it. Then all gone straight home. Serves them right.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’d go beyond that, tbf, to “the entire concept of football support”. Because, hey, if random individual victories don’t matter, why bother going to anything that isn’t a big game or a final? I mean, why even support someone like Luton Town at all?

feck deriving any joy from random isolated moments of excitement during the endless, consuming, ever expensive pilgrimage that is active football fandom. The away end should’ve all stood in judgmental silence and tutted at them. Then gone straight home. Serves them right.
Exactly this.

I don't understand some posters mentality on here at times and it becomes very difficult to just criticise the post and not the poster. Especially when what they are saying is complete and utter horseshit.

UDontMessWith24

For me they shouldn't be doing that. Players should be allowed to go upto the fans.
I don't recall seeing that in the PL but I could be wrong. Obviously the stewards have to be there to keep the supporters off the pitch but I've never seen them keep players at a distance like that. No level of pettiness from the should shock anyone though.

prath92

I never get the people who cry that in spite of the win all we did is fluke a 3-2 win and paper over cracks.

These are probably the same people who reminisce over the countless times we came from behind to win under SAF. Guess what? That’s the same too. I mean I remember 3-3 vs Chelsea at the bridge. We were shit for 50 minutes. We even had a couple of fortuitous penalty calls. I’m sure the same can be said to the many comebacks we have had under him.

The point is that it takes two to tango.

Vilev

Today was United better in the second half - end of story! Hope you can see that.
No, they were better in like 20 minutes of the 2nd half, when we scored all our goals, then United dropped back, far back, hardly threatened, had like zero chances. City on the other hand dominated and were unlucky not to equalize. Hope you can see that.
Also 20 minutes and a full half for that matter is hardly a match. For example Spurs have been dominant in their wins over MU or Liverpool during the whole games. Opponents did have chances of course, but there were not a half or even like 20 minutes in these games, where Spurs would have been much worse than opposition. That is "better, end of story". Just for reference.
We've lost or drawn many games where we have missed many chances. In fact, last season was all about United and missed chances. It's a part of football.
The problem is that United has not beaten a top team in any other fashion this season.
Complain about the club, manager, tactics, way of playing etc. tomorrow.
What's the point exactly? Seems stupid.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
People here make my head hurts sometimes. They want to see things in the worst possible way when it comes to United, you can't discuss with them (or you can but it's pointless) because you'll end up agreeing to disagree. Thank god for the ignore button.

We won against City, it wasn't too pretty but tell me how many times under SAF did We win against a big rival where We played flawless, attacking football for 90 mins? Take off your blinder.

Last edited:

Flytan

No, they were better in like 20 minutes of the 2nd half, when we scored all our goals, then United dropped back, far back, hardly threatened, had like zero chances. City on the other hand dominated and were unlucky not to equalize. Hope you can see that.
Also 20 minutes and a full half for that matter is hardly a match. For example Spurs have been dominant in their wins over MU or Liverpool during the whole games. Opponents did have chances of course, but there were not a half or even like 20 minutes in these games, where Spurs would have been much worse than opposition. That is "better, end of story". Just for reference.
The problem is that United has not beaten a top team in any other fashion this season.
What's the point exactly? Seems stupid.
I don't get the argument of dropping back. What do you want United to do? Not protect a goal advantage against one of the most threatening offensive teams in PL history? The point is to win games. It's one thing to complain that we start dropping back after scoring a goal in the first half against weak opposition or come out as cowards like against Sevilla. However scoring a third goal with only a quarter of the game left and claiming a lead, it would be completely stupid to sacrifice defense in favor of another goal.

Also "United has not beaten a top team in any other fashion"? Were our goals against City not impressive goals lol? Suddenly it doesn't matter how clinical or impressive you are unless it comes along with passing it 3 yards a bunch of times.

Vilev

I don't get the argument of dropping back. What do you want United to do?
Not drop back to such an extent. We did not just concede possession, we literally stacked 10 outfield players in our box or 5-6 meters out.
t's one thing to complain that we start dropping back after scoring a goal in the first half against weak opposition or come out as cowards like against Sevilla. However scoring a third goal with only a quarter of the game left and claiming a lead, it would be completely stupid to sacrifice defense in favor of another goal.
That is all part of the same problem.
Sorry but it's like you have not seen United at all this season. You do realize that United dropped of against much weaker sides, Arsenal, Chelsea and nearly conceded. We also played like that against various southhamptons, evertons. So no, United most definitely did not dropped off because of the opponents strength, they did so because that is new United style. That is absolutely obvious and been proven many times this season.
The point is to win games.
Not really. For me the point is to win a title. So i prefer good long-time planning rather than quick stop-gap measures.
Sure in that exact game it did work, but ultimately that tactic is bound to fail in the long run.

Flytan

Not drop back to such an extent. We did not just concede possession, we literally stacked 10 outfield players in our box or 5-6 meters out.
Sorry but it's like you have not seen United at all this season. You do realize that United dropped of against much weaker sides, Arsenal, Chelsea and nearly conceded. We also played like that against various southhamptons, evertons. So no, United most definitely did not dropped off because of the opponents strength, they did so because that is new United style. That is absolutely obvious and been proven many times this season.
Not really. For me the point is to win a title. So i prefer good long-time planning rather than quick stop-gap measures.
Sure in that exact game it did work, but ultimately that tactic is bound to fail in the long run.
Uhh I've watched literally every game except one I think, and yeah I agree with you on those, hence why I mentioned it was an issue in my post. But what we did against City wasn't the same thing at all. We had a 3-2 lead with only a small part of the game remaining, it would be completely moronic to try to score more instead of protect the lead. And I disagree that it's our "style". It's strategy, not a style. A strategy is something that changes as the game ebbs and flows while a style is something more permanent.

You say the point is to "win titles", okay, LVG's "philosophy" failed miserably. Mourinho's has been okay and has recently won a title himself. If you remember the last few years of SAF we didn't play particularly great football and still won titles. So I ask you this, is it more important to play football like Klopp or to actually win titles? In this day and age it's nearly impossible to win on style alone unless you have unlimited transfer funds.

redIndianDevil

Uhh I've watched literally every game except one I think, and yeah I agree with you on those, hence why I mentioned it was an issue in my post. But what we did against City wasn't the same thing at all. We had a 3-2 lead with only a small part of the game remaining, it would be completely moronic to try to score more instead of protect the lead. And I disagree that it's our "style". It's strategy, not a style. A strategy is something that changes as the game ebbs and flows while a style is something more permanent.

You say the point is to "win titles", okay, LVG's "philosophy" failed miserably. Mourinho's has been okay and has recently won a title himself. If you remember the last few years of SAF we didn't play particularly great football and still won titles. So I ask you this, is it more important to play football like Klopp or to actually win titles? In this day and age it's nearly impossible to win on style alone unless you have unlimited transfer funds.
We have huge amounts of transfer funds too and no you can play good football and win titles however much Mourinho convinces us that we can't.

Handsome Devil

Isn't it bloody marvellous? We couldn't even have 24 hours to celebrate one of the sweetest victories/comebacks in the club's history without the doomsayers getting their little agenda driven jibes in.
At least wait until Monday midday say before jumping back on the misery train.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
08:09
What Young 'told United teammates'
The Times writes that Young said:

“The City fans are shouting ‘Olé’ and they’re embarrassing us. Are we going to stand for that? Remember your responsibilities to the fans and the badge. Show some pride and fight for each other.”

Akshay

Staff
Nah. I've rewatched that second half and what you describe is totally not on. We didn't sit back and stack 10 players in the box until the final minutes, where any team protecting a one goal lead would do the same. You're just seeing what you want to see.

Luck is nonsense. Poor finishing or good goalkeeping aren't down to luck, they are critical skills in the game. United weren't unlucky in all those 0-0 draws last season, we were unbelievably poor at finishing and it deserved criticism.

Marcky411

Firstly great victory, never saw that one happening after a first half as poor as the Crystal Palace game. I am sure their wasn't a player I didn't curse in the first half including DDG for his part in the second goal. We were very poor and extremely lucky to go into half time 2-0 down. I don't know who said what at half time but it seemed to work and coming back and beating City in that way was just priceless.

After that game and the Crystal Palace I keep asking myself why we need to concede 2 goals before the shackles come off. I also wonder why we don't start games more like we did the second half. Other teams/managers seem to be able to fire up their teams before the game starts, we seem to just show up and once on the field start thinking of a game plan or how we should play. Most games we start off very poorly, it takes about 20 min to get going and even then the pace and desire is non existent, till we concede.
We have seen time and again this season that we do have the team/players to do it(even with Mike Smalling), we saw it against Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and City today.
Even when we do score first, we don't try to finish teams off we sit back and try to absorb pressure and that is what makes watching Utd so frustrating.
I really hope City loose on Tuesday and that Tottenham do their duty on Saturday, that would mean 4 losses in a row, would like to see how City bounce back from something like that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
08:09
What Young 'told United teammates'
The Times writes that Young said:

“The City fans are shouting ‘Olé’ and they’re embarrassing us. Are we going to stand for that? Remember your responsibilities to the fans and the badge. Show some pride and fight for each other.”

Respect. Still don't think he's a left back but just for that I wanna keep him at the club.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

:lol:

el3mel

Liverpool have dropped to defend their lead against City for a whole 45 minutes after getting what they want from first half and some are blaming us for defending the last 10 minutes ? When will some realize these big games consist of multiple transitions ?

Fully Fledged

I thought Sterling was our MoM. The amount of balls he cleared from our box was unbelievable. Must have been 4 or 5 last ditch clearances he made. Outstanding.

stu_1992

Still buzzing about his. It's great coming into work and being able to talk about that today. A comeback to be proud of. It made my weekend, and to think I felt so differently at half time Saturday. :nervous:

Greck

Having watched the second half again, I don’t think it was by any means a 10/10 performance, and comparisons with pogba and keane v Juventus were a bit much but it was hugely impressive. We basically stopped giving city any respect whatsoever, and got so much more comfortable on the ball.

A lot of the problems we cause for ourself comes from poor distribution and bad passes under pressure. Kompanys goal comes from Valencia slicing a clearance that he should have got rid of, and the second comes from a very poor pass from De Gea. If our distribution from the back was better, the confidence would be lifted to a new level for the whole team. I do believe it’s something that can be coached too, and that the players can definitely become more confident passing/receiving the ball under a bit of pressure.

I have always had otamendi as one of the biggest fraud defenders in world football, and I think we showed him up yesterday. Our midfielders anticipated a lot of his passes and they were predictably poor. When he’s on the pitch, teams should just pick up everyone else and let him have the ball, he’s going to mess it up regularly.
Every goal City has scored us this season was self inflicted. Credit to them for doing the hard part and capitalizing but we need to stop shitting the bed on basic clearances in this fixture

edgar allan

Nah. I've rewatched that second half and what you describe is totally not on. We didn't sit back and stack 10 players in the box until the final minutes, where any team protecting a one goal lead would do the same. You're just seeing what you want to see.

Luck is nonsense. Poor finishing or good goalkeeping aren't down to luck, they are critical skills in the game. United weren't unlucky in all those 0-0 draws last season, we were unbelievably poor at finishing and it deserved criticism.
All true and it was a come back of the highest quality, but the frustration remains. It shows again that we can take teams on away from home, play attacking football and win.
So let's bin the negative cowardly approach of the first half, the game could and should have been over at half time.

A heavy loss and we would have more of the Jose comments on not been able to match city.
We showed our attacking class in the second half, we are not far behind if Jose can just believe in the team a bit more.

Let's take Spurs on in the semi with the same approach and put another marker down.

redflair

What a ridiculous post. Especially the last bit. If you didn't care after that game you should possibly consider giving football a rest.
You've just got it all wrong. Of course I cared, if the first half didn't have you tearing your hair then maybe you should go and lie in a darkened room and forget about football altogether.

If you don't think that City play good football then bad luck to you.

This wasn't as sweet as the 3-2 victory at Maine Road - but it was it close. For Herrera's chest-down to Giggs metronomic pass. Two beautiful things.

Irrational.

I love this - I bet there was a lot more planned as well that they've had to shelve for the next couple of weeks :lol::lol:

Akshay

Staff
All true and it was a come back of the highest quality, but the frustration remains. It shows again that we can take teams on away from home, play attacking football and win.
So let's bin the negative cowardly approach of the first half, the game could and should have been over at half time.

A heavy loss and we would have more of the Jose comments on not been able to match city.
We showed our attacking class in the second half, we are not far behind if Jose can just believe in the team a bit more.

Let's take Spurs on in the semi with the same approach and put another marker down.
I think the players also need to believe more in themselves. The backline don't trust in their ability to put their foot on the ball and pass it around. They make a few tentative, slow passes then give up and give it back to De Gea. Too scared of losing it and giving away a goal scoring opportunity. They are also prone to backing away and setting out stall too close to goal, instead of being brave and sitting higher up the pitch and play forwards offside. It's particularly strange when you consider Smalling and Bailly are quite athletic and very good at recovering from attackers getting headstarts.

Similarly, our attacking players sometimes need to show more faith in each other's ability to make the pass, and make runs that give the ball carrier options. Of course as manager, Jose needs to help give them that confidence as well.

Oneunited26

I’d go beyond that, tbf, to “the entire concept of football support”. Because, hey, if random individual victories don’t matter, why bother going to anything that isn’t a big game or a final? I mean, why even support someone like Luton Town at all? Complete waste of time.

feck deriving any joy from random fleeting isolated moments of excitement during the endless, consuming, ever expensive pilgrimage that is active football fandom. The away end should’ve all stood in judgmental silence and tutted at them for daring to enjoy it. Then all gone straight home. Serves them right.
I agree

It’s like some fans don’t remember previous derby’s And see those celebrations, if fans can’t enjoy what we done second half, don’t think they can enjoy anything. But has VG and Moyes mentally damaged fans that bad? They can’t enjoy what we done Saturday and stopped them from not only planning on making PL title history, do the double over is, but they set up fireworks, champagne, they were gloating at HT, they proper thought they had this game won. The fact this team showed us they have the passion, the character, bottle and stood up to be counted. Posters can go on about luck, we still not doing this and that, for me it’s been one fantastic football weekend has a united fan that no one can take that away.

City can win the PL title all they want this season, they can never remind us we won the title by beating us and set a new title winning record, and that for me makes it all the sweeter end to that game. Let’s make this clear, the entire man city club were planning an extra shove it down our throats celebration, to really stick it into us, and we went out there on a gigantic stage away from home 2-0 down and showed the character, that is the hallmarks of a classic Fergie side. But if fans can’t even enjoy that without moaning, then there is no hope for those fans to enjoy anything

I love this - I bet there was a lot more planned as well that they've had to shelve for the next couple of weeks :lol::lol:
And the strangest part, some of our own United fans posting on here are saying -why are we celebrating? It’s worrying and It’s small minded, they had everything planned out like they had beaten us before we kicked a ball. We reminded the football world why we are MUFC, and this team ain’t going down without a fight, it’s character building and I am glad the team realised they could not allow this lot to do this

Last edited:

ants7

Also still buzzing. You're 2:0 down on halftime on the away derby and you walk out winners 2:3. Doesn't get much better than this. This is not the time to talk about cracks and putting paper over them. This is the one time where I don't give a feck - we just won the Manchester derby AND denied them the title on that day. That's all that matters.

Denis_unwise

Still buzzing, watched the highlights for the fourth time this morning.

What impressed me most is that we didn't let them get away with the cynical fouling, or at least we gave as good as we got. Pogba going after Fernandinho after his challenge on Lingard was a particular highlight. We have also been on the wrong end of most of the big decisions in recent Derby's. Was fearful when Atkinson was named as Ref. Loved that every contentious decision went our way in what was also City's biggest day.

Gasolin

That's a stupid statement here, right there, ignoring History. Sir Alex Ferguson also protected many leads in the same way, it's all about the winning mentality. If you cannot acknowledge that, then you will never understand how Italy got some World Cups... same thing for all the great Italian teams who won the CL.

TheReligion

Abusive
Still buzzing, watched the highlights for the fourth time this morning.

What impressed me most is that we didn't let them get away with the cynical fouling, or at least we gave as good as we got. Pogba going after Fernandinho after his challenge on Lingard was a particular highlight. We have also been on the wrong end of most of the big decisions in recent Derby's. Was fearful when Atkinson was named as Ref. Loved that every contentious decision went our way in what was also City's biggest day.
Yeah I've just watched the highlights and noticed that.

The players were bang up for it and all looking out for each other. Was great to see and a proper team performance.

For the Smalling goal Sanchez was waving everyone forward like crazy before he hit the free kick. You could tell they all wanted it more.

Treble

Sanchez was for me MOTM. Important contribution for the first goal and two perfect assists.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Isn't it poetic that Sanchez led the charge in this game? Looks like money is better than Pep :cool:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Sanchez was brilliant - that marauding front 4 looked great at times (Sanchez, Lukaku, Lingard, with Pogba behind them)

I think are attack is sorted for next season - just need to sort out the defence!

I must say the referee was SHOCKING. The amount of times he let City get away with 'professional fouls', nipping our counter-attacks in the bud, without yellow cards - but then booked our players first time without fail when we did similar (I think Pogba's scythe on Otamendi was attempted revenge for this).

The Young penalty appeals, and even just the throw-ins and corners/goal kicks not going to the correct team - it's no wonder 0 English refs have been selected for the WC.

But what a game of two halves. 1st half: appalled, 2nd half: ecstasy .

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 78% of 868 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 554 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw