PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 April 2019

Cloud7

Usually the post match thread is up to about ten pages by now. Looks like people can’t be bothered today :lol:

As I said in the Lingard thread, it’s a shame that our two best chances fell to him. Someone else and we may have had a different game on our hands.

Minimalist

Bit weird Rashford taking the interview on like that. Fair play though in a way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We looked sharper. As usual though we lack quality. Quality to pass it accurately, or shoot at the right time.

Roboc7

We raised our game and were outclassed at home despite City not being at their best. The Everton game exposed a lack of effort, tonight exposed a lack of quality.

I don’t see any point in blaming anyone tonight. We are where we are because of years of mismanagement and it’s not getting solved quickly.

Heardy

Surely that shows an absolute lack of leadership in the team for Rashford being the player to take those questions post match.

Utter bullshit that he’s got to shoulder that.

Bulldog United

How JLingz stayed on the pitch for so long is beyond me. I would have got Alexis on for him right after the City goal, if not even sooner.

I really feel for DDG. If this is his last season with us, he deserves to end on a better note than this. Surely Romero has to come in on Sunday now, given what’s at stake?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Rashford saying they will never call each other out? They need to fecking call eachother out day in day out. Christ.
They do, but usually it happens behind closed doors. Usually in a meeting and just let them say exactly what they need to say to each other, then see who is man enough to take it.

tomaldinho1

Glimmers of good play but a real difference in overall ability on show today.

The lads put in a shift but the individual quality isn't there and we don't really create good chances aside from long balls to a fast striker

Smithy89

Good first half.

Okay 2nd half... until the first goal.

Rubbish afterwards.

So proud of this team -- bunch of bottlers.

We weren't good in the first half, okay at best. pressed them for 20mins and then just stopped and didn't create anything.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
On a more positive note, we won't be having the embarrassment of having our goalkeeper win player of the season again.
I'm genuinely scratching my head over who should win POTS.

Lindelof?

Schmeichel=God

You win some you lose some, congrats to Citeh and feck off Liverpool

20 TIMES 20 TIMES MAN UTD
You're only as good as your last game they say.
'Season' though, is that which matters.
And how long will we have to wait for a season befitting the footballing heritage of this club???

The 20 times matters not in the present. We are nothing until we are something once more.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
No reaction from Everton. Shitshow from players again. Ole is in an unforgiving situation - he’s not learning from his current run of poor form. No urgency or width which Ole mentions a bit in his “United way” comments, persistent long balls and questionable team selections (Ashley fecking Young).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's 13 goals we've conceded since we last scored one from open play. We're a shambles going forward, even creating chances or having a shot is a struggle. It's really been like watching Van Gaal's United the past few weeks.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Young did quite well except his deliveries which was nice to see, but Fred, Jesus Christ!

Here’s what I can’t get my head around is why I could see how poor of a footballer he was before we signed him and yet our highly paid and allegedly skilled scouting network spunked £52million on him and how he lasted 90 minutes tonight is beyond me.

The only player anywhere near as bad as him tonight was Lingard. Atrocious performance, bordering on disgusting. Ole was too slow with the changes tonight and made the wrong choices for me, it happens.

First half I thought we controlled the game, had them contained and created a few openings, second half our performance levels dropped and we got punished.

Anyway you look at it, at home with no shots on target, doesn’t matter if you are playing city, Barca or Blyth Spartans. If you don’t get a shot on target then you probably won’t win the game.

Not good enough, I can name 8 players I’d get rid of this summer.

King Eric 7

Depends what Ole wants from his goalie. If he wants him to start the attacks then he could be in trouble. It is no good if he is just going to hoof it downfield. He has to be able to pass it out or throw it out.
Yeah true, but let's say he does want that, he must also want better defenders, midfielders and attackers. There are problems all over the pitch and replacing DDG is way down on my own priority list so we'll have to see how the manager views the situation.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Was easy for City in the end.

Players have gone for the summer.

Mass clearout needed, more than just 5 or 6, don't care if it's not feasible. Just get rid of so, so many of them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Honestly would give Greenwood a run. None of our forwards can find the back of the net, so we have nothing to lose.

Scholsey2004

All we need now is Wayne Rooney to come back from the states, sign up to city and relegate us next season and the circle will be complete. On a lighter note has Ed had his yearly bomb drill at OT yet? If youre taking a crap and find one strapped to the toilet door you'll know it's his because it'll have 'dummy' written on it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah true, but let's say he does want that, he must also want better defenders, midfielders and attackers. There are problems all over the pitch and replacing DDG is way down on my own priority list so we'll have to see how the manager views the situation.
We have big problems and a lot of them. I am worried that we will make a complete mess of it again and it will set us back even further. I just have no faith in the people running this club and what their motives are.

Scholsey2004

Was easy for City in the end.

Players have gone for the summer.

Mass clearout needed, more than just 5 or 6, don't care if it's not feasible. Just get rid of so, so many of them.
Yeah, there's not much that's salvageable there.

ExecutionerWasp001

DDG needs to be dropped for the rest of the season. Making mistakes most games now which are going to cost us in the top 4 race. If we play like we did tonight, with the same intensity, for the rest of the season we will make next seasons CL.

We've gifted so many goals to City in the last 3 Derbies at OT & been on the wrong end of some poor officiating. It was good to see a Ref actually put in a decent performance for a change. Silva should have seen red but it would have had no impact on the score.

Okey

Spirited first half. Good set up and application. Had Citeh a bit rattled. All fizzled out in the second half. Lack of quality and fitness will get you in the end. We're just not good enough, sadly. Put Pep at the helm of this squad and it won't be markedly different...

Apokalips

One of the biggest differences is how well drilled City look. All of their players constantly moving to give each other multiple options and they all move as one.

Everything looks measured and is done with quality. We get the ball and it's all hoof and hope, random hopeful crosses or panic soon as we get near the box. Smash it across the box and maybe someone will get on the end of it type of football. Countless times the person on the ball looks around and there is no simple forward or even sideways option, no option for a 1-2 or a triangle. We counter but it's just random whereas City break and it's ruthless efficiency compared.

There are quality differences in individuals, but also in coaching. We don't ever look like a confident, ball playing team. Ole hasn't had much time to truly coach anything into the team, but we need to be so much better drilled next season and add a lot more quality. Keep the most talented players and add to them, we need to get rid of the relics and pointless players and bring in top drawer talent and hopefully Ole can coach us into a cohesive unit who actually keep possession and press.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
To be honest, I think that you guys weren't that bad. The first half you played like it was a derby, the second half we scored and it took the air out as you ran out of legs.

I do think the quality difference showed but its been that way for a while, the difference between this derby and the one you won at the Etihad last season was just quality of finishing.

I'm just glad we got the win, you had a couple of very good chances and could have messed everything up for everyone not in Liverpool.

Morpheus 7

Interesting game to watch, the difference in keeping the ball is startlingly. You look at them with Ederson passing around all calm. United seem to absolutely shit themselves and can't pass more than three passes. The full backs make such a difference, not picking on anyone in particular but the lack of quality is there to see. Upgrades way overdue.

Toad

1 shot on target and it was a tame straight at the keeper shot. Pure garbage finishing.

Okey

One of the biggest differences is how well drilled City look. All of their players constantly moving to give each other multiple options and they all move as one.

Everything looks measured and is done with quality. We get the ball and it's all hoof and hope, random hopeful crosses or panic soon as we get near the box. Smash it across the box and maybe someone will get on the end of it type of football. Countless times the person on the ball looks around and there is no simple forward or even sideways option, no option for a 1-2 or a triangle. We counter but it's just random whereas City break and it's ruthless efficiency compared.

There are quality differences in individuals, but also in coaching. We don't ever look like a confident, ball playing team. Ole hasn't had much time to truly coach anything into the team, but we need to be so much better drilled next season and add a lot more quality. Keep the most talented players and add to them, we need to get rid of the relics and pointless players and bring in top drawer talent and hopefully Ole can coach us into a cohesive unit who actually keep possession and press.
Too well put mate. We live in hope...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Obviously they're a better side than us, but it's not really like they created any chances or anything more than us today and it wasn't that much of a disaster. The main issue is lack of any control/visible talent in midfield. It's just so bad for us in there - as well as the build up from the back. In possession all over the pitch we have problems and we've had problems for ages now, even before Sir Alex retired (just nowhere close to this extent). At the same time though, in terms of creating chances, it's not that bad. When all are fit and in a normal confidence level, we're as good as anyone outside City and Liverpool at creating chances IMO. Biggest difference is Spurs have someone like Kane, Arsenal have Aubameyang, Chelsea have Hazard, we have younger players who are promising but can't make the step up without a lot more help (and improvement on their own).

It's a very disjointed team that still kinda gets enough chances most of the team and most of the team can keep the opposition out just enough and on the whole perform about the same average level as Arsenal and Chelsea. That's why we still have hope for top 4, because they're pretty much just as shite.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Ole should start playing youngsters, doesn’t matter to me if we finish 4th or 6th. Ole better sent the rest of the next few weeks scouting players personally in the championship or Spanish or Dutch league. Hopefully we can uncover gems somewhere like Mahez, Vardy, Kante and etc. God sake, hire Leicester’s scout. They do their job 10 times better than us.

predator

Youth NITK
Simply put we got outclassed in every single aspect of the game. Watching city players tonight making runs left right and centre and seeing us look so disjointed. Work rate, ability and tactically they are miles ahead of us.
The season is over for me. I'm looking forward to giving ole a full transfer window and am intrigued to see how ruthless he will be.

AJ10

Defeated as expected.

Once again we missed a sitter and gifted them 2 goals.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
Not really. Has spent loads of money with backup players costing a fortune. And in his own words, will not be around long. He says 2-3 years is kinda ideal. Beyond that it is difficult to motivate players to keep going year after year.
it's because Sane, De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling, etc... they are all playing at world class level. Raheem Sterling is clearly the best attacking midfielder for England by a mile

Siorac

That's 13 goals we've conceded since we last scored one from open play. We're a shambles going forward, even creating chances or having a shot is a struggle. It's really been like watching Van Gaal's United the past few weeks.
Minus the possession. We don't even keep the ball well.

Huffed and puffed without any real threat or quality. City were nowhere near their best but it was still comfortable for them in the end. It's very concerning how terrible we've been since PSG - even the two wins came from atrocious performances.

RedDevilRoshi

Was men against boys. They were just far too good and are a million miles ahead of us.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If I see one generic apology on twitter I'm going to be pissed off.
How about this?

Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford speaking to Sky Sports: "Today we didn’t play like Manchester United. It’s not right. The bare minimum is to work hard and give all for the badge, the supporters, the club and yourself.

"It has been a tough road to get to where we are, to get there and not be putting up the same performances as we were in January is disappointing. We know what’s been going wrong, it’s mentality and willingness to run for your team.

"Forget the league and top four, you don’t lose this game. It’s that simple as a Manchester United fan. We never call each other out but we have to be real with each other. It’s a matter of trying to improve each other.

"It’s more getting back used to doing it on the pitch. They [the supporters] know we can do it. Forget the top four and the Champions League. We have to get to the bottom of it and start playing like Manchester United for ourselves."

Ban

Gutted we lost. We go again.

I hope this will be a kick in the teeth, to see how much of a difference is there between 2 clubs.

But nothing will happen or change..

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 353 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 0:5 Man City