PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 April 2019

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How about this?

Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford speaking to Sky Sports: "Today we didn’t play like Manchester United. It’s not right. The bare minimum is to work hard and give all for the badge, the supporters, the club and yourself.

"It has been a tough road to get to where we are, to get there and not be putting up the same performances as we were in January is disappointing. We know what’s been going wrong, it’s mentality and willingness to run for your team.

"Forget the league and top four, you don’t lose this game. It’s that simple as a Manchester United fan. We never call each other out but we have to be real with each other. It’s a matter of trying to improve each other.

"It’s more getting back used to doing it on the pitch. They [the supporters] know we can do it. Forget the top four and the Champions League. We have to get to the bottom of it and start playing like Manchester United for ourselves."
blah blah blah

UncleBob

We have big problems and a lot of them. I am worried that we will make a complete mess of it again and it will set us back even further. I just have no faith in the people running this club and what their motives are.
There's just been a terror attack on the world trade center in New York, also the Glazers motive is more money.

Anything else you've missed out on in the past 16 years ?

It's not like the motive of the board when we were a PLC were to spend as much money as possible and dominate world football, it was always a combination of success and money, they were happy to put their foot down when it came to transfer fees, agent fees and wages, much to Fergies dislike.

The crucial factor here is that we've spent an absolute shitload of money on dross, both in transfer fees and wages (one of the highest wage bills in Europe, mint).

Slamar85

City wins the league, Liverpool champions league , Tottenham and Chelsea 3rd and 4th, Arsenal wins europa league = qualifies for champione league or vice versa chelsea and arsenal ....that should piss us off.

RedDevil@84

How about this?

Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford speaking to Sky Sports: "Today we didn’t play like Manchester United. It’s not right. The bare minimum is to work hard and give all for the badge, the supporters, the club and yourself.

"It has been a tough road to get to where we are, to get there and not be putting up the same performances as we were in January is disappointing. We know what’s been going wrong, it’s mentality and willingness to run for your team.

"Forget the league and top four, you don’t lose this game. It’s that simple as a Manchester United fan. We never call each other out but we have to be real with each other. It’s a matter of trying to improve each other.

"It’s more getting back used to doing it on the pitch. They [the supporters] know we can do it. Forget the top four and the Champions League. We have to get to the bottom of it and start playing like Manchester United for ourselves."
It is getting all a bit yaaawn. Every team member seems to suggest that no one is playing for the team or running enough for the team.

DavidDeSchmikes

Our quality and creativity in the final third tonight was shocking. It seemed like we were taking too many touches, getting the ball stuck between their own feet, making the wrong decisions, panicking when under pressure etc..... Fred had a stinker, his passing was terrible, gave the ball too many times (£50million right there), Lingard defended well for City, Lindelof played alright, Martial came on and disappeared
City can play from the back with confidence, we can't.
Their players were constantly moving, ours weren't
City looked better coached, there is a camaraderie, better fitness levels, very good back up players

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
Completely agree. Board took the easiest cheapest path. They have no clue what to do here.

Why after conceding the first goal, we still hd 5 at the back?
Bad tactics game after another. Simply he looks not ready yet.
Wow just wow
Did you two crawl out of a lamp?

How the hell can you blame the manager that has been there for 4 months not bought a singel player and leading a bunch of bad trained primadonnas!!

Half of the best players are in contract talks wich means they have the wronge focus.
Other half is FREE transfer and dont want injuries cause that can risk a transfer to a new club.

Its just to many players that dont give a shit about the club. In one year you can atack the manager not now. But is IT strange why the players dont have any loyalty when the fans lack IT.
Tottenham lost 5 in a row short time ago still Pochettio is a God. Chelsea, pool, Arsenal, City have all lost points to Wolwes still you call them a shitty team.

United was far away from 4th place when he took over. A shitty team dont become super without changes. Solskjaer only have what he have. Not his fault United is a mediocre team not he that bought any of them. Not him that let players have contract talks at end of season. Things like that should been sorte earlier.

United will never ever win the leauge 5 years in a row and dominate the way they did with SAF.
And he wouldent mange that either cause back then it was only couple of clubs with money now Its 10+ clubs with much money. The difference betveen the best and second best teams in premier league has become smaller so losing to teams like Wolwes etc Will happend. Thats why teams need good squad players. United has squad players in the starting lineup. Thats How poor the team is.

I know What kind of football Solskjaer stands for and How good he is at building teams. But doubt the club and the supporter have the patience for IT to happend. So just continue like you have for 6 years. Hows that gooing btw? Maybe fire more managers and hand out more 400k wages while your at it. People are laughing off how United is doing things maybe you should support the manager for once. All the managers after SAF have trained most of the players that are in the club now. So maybe it is the players that are mediocre and not the past managers. Personally i hope Solskjaer leavs United you dont deserve to have him as your manager. Yes he have only won the leauge in Norway. Pochettio has not won anything any were. Loads of English coaches have trained teams in Norway like Hodgson non of them won IT. If you can win in one place you can win other places aswell.

Last edited:

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
My first visit to OT was in 1957.

We beat Villa 4 - 1

I don't think I've ever felt as low as I do tonight - not because of tonight's result; not, even, when Denis scored to relegate us.

But because we are light years behind City, who have now beaten us at OT three matches in a row.

Watching us the past few weeks - Arsenal, Wolves, PSG first match, Barca, Everton, and now City - has been painful. Not just the results, but the abject, pitiful way we've lost those matches.

God knows where we go from here.
I feel the same.

When I see half of the team panicking whenever they receive the ball I get sad. How did we end up this way? We can’t even do the basics right.

Five of our starters looked so out of depth that it was painful. Fred. Andreas. Young. Lingard. Smalling. Do they practice between games?

Lukaku will never make it with us. Harsh but I can’t see it. Martial has the talent but what’s going on inside his head? Paul Pogba is so freakishly talent but his work ethic in defense is embarrassing. Strolling slowly back whenever he lose possession instead of helping his team mates. Why?

I will leave Ole Gunnar out of my criticism. Not the right day for throwing him under the bus, even if he also deserves some blame for our latest results.

DavidDeSchmikes

Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, speaking to Sky Sports: "We got a reaction and in the end we were beaten by a better team. But we got a reaction from fans and players and had a go. You can see the work-rate was there, it wasn't good enough.

"There is a difference in quality. That is why they are top and we are where we are. They have set the standard. Living in Manchester we cannot be happy with that. It is up to us to close that gap and overtake them.

"Today you can't say that any of them didn't run. You could see clearly an intent and focus. We just need to keep working on it.

"City want to win it back and by their aggression to win it back there will be fouls. They keep the ball high and are hungry to win it back. They stopped us very well.

"David [De Gea] made some terrific saves as well today. It is every day work for everyone. He has high standards. When we are having a time like this we need to stick together, batten the hatches down and keep working. We have to come back fighting on Sunday."

Crashoutcassius

Hard to know what to make having missed the match, some people saying we had the best of the first half against maybe the greatest side of all time, other saying we are absolutely clueless and one of the worst sides in the league, a bit of perspective might be called for.. we have seen the depression get nuts before, I hope this doesn't continue all summer

Cockney Phil

Deja vu - We lost at home to City and went down to the old Second Division. History doesn’t repeat itself, step by step, but the last 3 games was worse than the team that got relegated. A catastrophe is looming, like watching a train crash, we’re hurtling toward a disaster. Tonight was men against boys as it was against Barca, but with a bit more energy, but we still lost. I don’t think we can afford to buy what is really needed for success next season, players won’t want to leave because of high wages, and we’re in competition with top clubs over the best players. Next season is going to be very hard.

AndyMUFC

I can't be that disappointed because it was expected really. The effort was there but even with that, they have the better players and better team and that's something we have to solve.

First half was fairly promising but once they got that first, our clueless attack meant we were never getting back into it.

Ah well, at least Liverpool are facing an uphill battle to win it nw.

MrSingh2002

Games like today remind you of how great Paul Scholes was.

A man who could control the game like a conductor.

We have midfielders who can't pass. Defenders that can't tackle. Strikers that can't score. If Ole signings are the right ones it could work. If he fails to sign the right players then he's not the one for us either.

Ole has to wisen up quick on his team selections and tactics. We can't purely rely on counter attacking and need to have more control of games. His delusion constantly picking Young, Smalling and Jones has to be smashed to bits. Or he'll be eaten alive next season.

John Blund

We need to see youngsters now. We need some hope for the next season.
Sanchez is just a waste of space on the bench.
Martial looks like he's retired.
Fred keeps passing away the ball when he's not under pressure.
Darmian - wtf. When did he decide he was going to be a footballer again? He better start next game.

We better resign Own Goal again as well - he did so well for us a few seasons back.

Run_time_error

Better but still bad. Passing and composure is so poor at the moment. We seemed to do the hard stuff (closing down and tackling) reasonably well but the easy stuff (passing to your teammate 10 yards away) really badly. How many times Fred got stuck in then gave it away again totally pissed me off. He wasn't the only one either. The frustrating thing is, that performance would have probably got something from the Everton game and we might have been a place or two higher. Arsenal, Chelsea losing games too, it's like nobody wants that fourth spot.

jesperjaap

Knew after 30mins we would lose. Something regarding the attitude stinks with our side. This game was like so many, under managers back to Van Gaal. W eplay really well, full of desire for 20mins....if we dont score frustration, lack of belief, not pressing so forcefully always seeps in more and more....vanished at half time tonight.
Not kneejerk at all, felt the same way for 4/5 years now and I hate this "step by step" nonsense. Mourinho did it at Chelsea, Van Gaal at Alkmaar and Guardiola at City. Bin all the drivel and buy in 7-8 players, it can be done. Players will take time to settle and gel all signed at once? Yes, true but this lots havent gelled in a good 2/3 seasons....whats the difference?

DavidDeSchmikes

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: "We certainly got a reaction. The players and the supporters were together. The players wanted to show they really care. The first half was positive, we were pleased at the break.

"Unfortunately, we conceded two sloppy goals in the second half that could have been avoided. I would never point the finger at any players so it is down to all of the players to work together. We know we are having a tough time but we stick together when we lose. Everyone can see what City have done over the last few years.

"He [Pep Guardiola] had a tough first season but he has turned it around and they have set the standards for everyone. Living so close to them, we feel it more, but we will have a better attitude than everyone else when we come back in the summer. In the short term we are still in the race for the top four and we know we must deliver a good performance against Chelsea."

Efcinpeace

Supports
Everton
I know it’s no consolation...... but think of the bigger picture.

There is still a chance the red sh*te might win the League, but City doing it is the lesser of two evils.

Canagel

One of the biggest differences is how well drilled City look. All of their players constantly moving to give each other multiple options and they all move as one.

Everything looks measured and is done with quality. We get the ball and it's all hoof and hope, random hopeful crosses or panic soon as we get near the box. Smash it across the box and maybe someone will get on the end of it type of football. Countless times the person on the ball looks around and there is no simple forward or even sideways option, no option for a 1-2 or a triangle. We counter but it's just random whereas City break and it's ruthless efficiency compared.

There are quality differences in individuals, but also in coaching. We don't ever look like a confident, ball playing team. Ole hasn't had much time to truly coach anything into the team, but we need to be so much better drilled next season and add a lot more quality. Keep the most talented players and add to them, we need to get rid of the relics and pointless players and bring in top drawer talent and hopefully Ole can coach us into a cohesive unit who actually keep possession and press.
Absolutely. This kick and run football belongs in the 90's. none of the big clubs in the world plays this outdated football. City has class and never rushed or panic. 'Effort' , 'passion' and 'desire' is also words I don't want to hear too much. Players ran and all they mustered is one shot. Didn't even test the keeper.

ReddBalls

Absolutely. This kick and run football belongs in the 90's. none of the big clubs in the world plays this outdated football. City has class and never rushed or panic. 'Effort' , 'passion' and 'desire' is also words I don't want to hear too much. Players ran and all they mustered is one shot. Didn't even test the keeper.
Jaysus. Talent wins you feck all if you don't put in effort, and effort wins you feck all without talent. Solskjær wants his players to both be the best talent wise and have the best work ethic. How hard is that to fathom?

I thought we did okay, it's just that City had that bit of class when they needed it. Fair play, the had to win tonight and they produced under the pressure.

Some of our players had decent games, but what's happened to De Gea? Another big mistake tonight for the second goal, and I thought he could have done better for the first one.

Let's face it, they are miles better than us just now. They didn't play at their best but were still too strong.

Seven defeats in nine games, yet we are somehow still in with a chance of top four. I just can't wait for the summer, when a lot of this squad will be emptied.

United Hobbit

Where was McT? Is he injured or something? Have missed any comments relating to him and surprised to see he wasnt starting or even on the bench?

I thought we were ok in the first half. Ole's press conference worried me, it was the first time I've heard him come across as borderline sounding like he is out of his depth/ realising he may not know how to fix this given just how many problems we have. I hope not its just how it came across.

norm87cro

We let them win today and they know it. Both goals have been very soft. They we're there for the taking and that being said they don't look like a team that is not going to drop points by the end of the season. Hope I'm wrong

Phil Osophy

Today was a good reaction after the garbage from the last game, we got our chances and good moments in the game but the negative dynamic is dragging us down, added to the terrible form of certain players. This same game played during our winning run would have been at least a draw.

Despite all our flaws I think games like this one, Arsenal or Wolves away in the league are being defined by details, but now everything happens against us somehow. Time to keep our heads down I guess, let the season end in one way or another and do a massive reset in the summer.

Sing you a song

Wow just wow
Did you two crawl out of a lamp?

How the hell can you blame the manager that has been there for 4 months not bought a singel player and leading a bunch of bad trained primadonnas!!

Half of the best players are in contract talks wich means they have the wronge focus.
Other half is FREE transfer and dont want injuries cause that can risk a transfer to a new club.

Its just to many players that dont give a shit about the club. In one year you can atack the manager not now. But is IT strange why the players dont have any loyalty when the fans lack IT.
Tottenham lost 5 in a row short time ago still Pochettio is a God. Chelsea, pool, Arsenal, City have all lost points to Wolwes still you call them a shitty team.

United was far away from 4th place when he took over. A shitty team dont become super without changes. Solskjaer only have what he have. Not his fault United is a mediocre team not he that bought any of them. Not him that let players have contract talks at end of season. Things like that should been sorte earlier.

United will never ever win the leauge 5 years in a row and dominate the way they did with SAF.
And he wouldent mange that either cause back then it was only couple of clubs with money now Its 10+ clubs with much money. The difference betveen the best and second best teams in premier league has become smaller so losing to teams like Wolwes etc Will happend. Thats why teams need good squad players. United has squad players in the starting lineup. Thats How poor the team is.

I know What kind of football Solskjaer stands for and How good he is at building teams. But doubt the club and the supporter have the patience for IT to happend. So just continue like you have for 6 years. Hows that gooing btw? Maybe fire more managers and hand out more 400k wages while your at it. People are laughing off how United is doing things maybe you should support the manager for once. All the managers after SAF have trained most of the players that are in the club now. So maybe it is the players that are mediocre and not the past managers. Personally i hope Solskjaer leavs United you dont deserve to have him as your manager. Yes he have only won the leauge in Norway. Pochettio has not won anything any were. Loads of English coaches have trained teams in Norway like Hodgson non of them won IT. If you can win in one place you can win other places aswell.
Great post mate I agree with every word Jose one of the most successful managers in history couldnt get a tune out of this lot , some of the most egotistical, hateful self indulgent players I have ever seen at United .
There sense of entitlement is palpable. This is not Ole’s team but he knows the United way and will do his damndest to get it right .
LVG was an ego maniac as was Jose and Jose didn’t have the heart to see the job out the players finally beat him into submission but Ole will have to be taken out in a box he is a dyed in the wool red and will give his all.
Let’s hope we can move some of the poisonous parasites out and give Ole the support he deserves

FFK Norway

Supports
Its just minimal changes a manager can do during the season when taking over. Thats why you have preseason to train on stamina and how to play.

Have you ever considerd that United cant play the way Solskjaer wants atm cause he dont have the right players for it.

Snuffkin

We can't keep goals out at the moment. We had a good chance of scoring at 0-0 but conceding first is a nightmare.

GM K

Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, speaking to Sky Sports: "We got a reaction and in the end we were beaten by a better team. But we got a reaction from fans and players and had a go. You can see the work-rate was there, it wasn't good enough.

"There is a difference in quality. That is why they are top and we are where we are. They have set the standard. Living in Manchester we cannot be happy with that. It is up to us to close that gap and overtake them.

"Today you can't say that any of them didn't run. You could see clearly an intent and focus. We just need to keep working on it.

"City want to win it back and by their aggression to win it back there will be fouls. They keep the ball high and are hungry to win it back. They stopped us very well.

"David [De Gea] made some terrific saves as well today. It is every day work for everyone. He has high standards. When we are having a time like this we need to stick together, batten the hatches down and keep working. We have to come back fighting on Sunday."
When he first took over and was winning, he spoke about the quality of the lads and how they were getting results because they were simply allowed to express themselves and the mood in the group was better. Now we are short on quality?

Born2Lose

Glad Ole dropped the dross, but the truth is our squad is pathetic.

Like Fergie said the bus doesn't wait for anyone, and I hope a lot of our current squad find themselves missing the bus over the next few years.

RedorDead21

Remember when everyone got mad at Moyes for saying we need to get to their level......

FFK Norway

Supports
When he first took over and was winning, he spoke about the quality of the lads and how they were getting results because they were simply allowed to express themselves and the mood in the group was better. Now we are short on quality?
Things got serious again. When he took over it was no prezzure. Then they reached 4th place and they just fell through. Seems they cant take expectation.

dogwithabone

Weren't that bad?

We were at home and didn't trouble their defense at all.
Yes we did in the first half. Had some decent possession, pressured their defence into some errors and both Rashford and Lingard went close, as well as Lingard missing a tap in at the back post in second half. De Gea wasn’t exactly over worked either.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It wasn’t the world’s worst performance, but it was just devoid of anything really positive. The better team was clear and we never looked like scoring. It’s got to be different against Chelsea.

Red1968

Compared to that steaming turd they dumped on the weekend, tonight was just average. But compared to SAF's United it was a joke. I am so done watching a boring team, too scared to attack and pressure their opposition. Constantly passing it back and sideways, no urgency when down a goal. I am appalled by the lack of skill in all areas. The set pieces are abysmal, you are lucky if you get a single corner out of 20 into the right area of the box. But what pisses me off by far is the lazy defending. Today we lost 2 goals because the backs just didn't press. The 2nd goal by Sane occurred because 2 defenders went for one City player leaving Sane wide open. And to top off this disappointment of a team we have a world class goalie who has checked out. Ole needs to clean house this summer and get rid of the deadwood and the players that don't want to be here.

GM K

We blea it after last season. We were second and played in the FA Cup Final.
Things got serious again when he took over IT was no prezzure. Then they reached 4th place and they just fell through. Sees they cant take expectation.
Ole was wrong about the quality in the team. And so were many people here who were quick to conclude that Jose was THE problem. Well, from all indications now, Jose was only a part of a much bigger problem.

What we saw in those first few games of Ole were a highly motivated team led by the talented Paul Pogba who was determined to stick one up Jose's behind. Thwy played like we had never seen before. After that mission of proving their ex manager is a prick was was accomplished, the team reverted to exactly what Mourinho was desperate to improve on to take on City.

GeorgieBoy

The loss hurts now mainly because it showed how bad we are.
When City pip Liverpool to the league at least we can use this game to wind the bin dippers up.
Please don’t feck this up City.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 353 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 0:5 Man City