LC W League Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg

Manchester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 January 2020

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Much better than I expected. Damage was done in the first leg.

I thought De Gea played really well. We defended well actually, other than a couple of silly moments

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Because a better player would have been playing?
Rashford doesn‘t change the fact that we hardly got the ball into any dangerous areas. It was a tough game for a forward.

Djemba-Djemba

Proud performance. They're a much better team than us and we were missing 3 or 4 first team players and had a man sent off.

Both clubs seem to prefer playing away in this fixture, home wins are rare.

First leg cost us.

Heinzesight

Proud of the team. With 11 men I felt we could do it but credit to the players.

Mata for that free kick all day long. fecking Fred.

chiz2kul

Dont be decieved by the scoreline, City had a ton of chances to put it away but they were uncharacteristically wasteful.
Thought Matic and Wan Bissaka were solid. Best game for DDG this year for sure.

A defeat even in victory.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Better than expected.

At least this is the last of Lingardinho. Nearly conceded two goals because he lost the ball or gave it away.

dogwithabone

Decent performance. On the whole I think we’ve looked more competitive against City under Ole than we have any of the other managers post Fergie. We were well in that game tonight and with eleven that would have been an even closer call.

Irrational.

They shat themselves in the second half. Don't know if that was because we were good or because City were City.

City have now guaranteed themselves another trophy, sadly.

Lingard shite as usual.

I'm even more disappointed in Martial - does he ever get into the box? Or does he just stop the ball outside the box and stand still with it? What a shockingly shit effort. I'm starting to think Keane is right about him. Hope we get a loan striker, Rashford cannot come back quickly enough.

The decision to let Fred take that FK alone is a sackable offence. It was our one chance to equalise.

This season cannot feck off quickly enough.

bushyzor

Pretty good performance, albeit against a City side that is a shadow of the team it was last year. Matic played well despite the red card. We just gave the ball away far too easily and too often. Also seemed to lack a real game plan and kept trying to play out from the back down the left flank and ending up giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Don't know why they persisted with that when it clearly wasn't working.

Josep Dowling

Shame Matic got sent off otherwise the last 20 would have been interesting. Beaten Pep three times in his back yard and 4 times overall since he came to England.. Not a bad record.

Williams is starting to become a very important player for us.

Also seeing Ole have a massive go at Lingard pleased me and then subbed him off. He can now threaten that now we have signed a decent number 10.

Hoof the ball

The final score didn't tell the story of the game. Undoubtedly City should have scored 3-4 goals (possibly more). Created far more clear cut chances than us. Matic played well and our physical effort was good, but technically, it was a poor performance from us. We didn't have any ideas on playing out vs. high press, each time passing it to Lindelof or Shaw, only for them to be forced to clear it back to City players. Fred did ok with running out of the press a few times. Matic is the only one who can actually pass out of a press well.

Wins that this feel hollow, not only because we're out on aggregate, but even if we did go through there's just a level of dissatisfaction involved with our general play. Some of the players are poor, yes, but the coaching instructions are not designed to help any of these players perform well on the ball in these kinds of games.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Only if we had our first XI fit.. glad that we won though. Feck city.

Pjisared

What the feck goes on with our free kicks, we have by a distance our best free kick taker in Mata on the pitch in a position ideal for him but for some strange reason it is Fred who insists on taking it. Clueless.

Lara lhg

Never thought we had the belief to get another. Just a real lack of quality upfront. Midfield has guile and desire but lacks creativity. I thought it was a reasonable performance considering how thin our squad is. My worry is sat. Cant see us winning that because of the same issues. The break cant come soon enough.
At least we won the game

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Did Gary Neville play 400 games for city? Fred taking that free-kick sums us up in a nutshell. People saying it won’t happen but Ole WILL tarnish his legacy is he stays here long enough.
Maybe pick a point you're trying to make and stick to it

RedMilo

Good effort, cant fault our attitude but we lacked quality at key times. Lindelöf makes me nervous and Lingard was ablsolutely abysmal. The quicker we replace those two in starting 11 the better. Hope we see Bruno at the Wolves game. Genuinely need McSauce and Pogba back as well.

Hughie77

Rode our luck, they should have had 2 sitters and missed, struggled when down to 10, got no issues with Matic, he was best player on pitch. A win is not enough, poor 1st half in 1st leg done it, but good fighting spirit, but lacked again the quality to get another goal. But unlike other clubs we go for the cups no matter what.. Klopp!

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why oh why does Mata not get to take that free kick?

Zuggie

We were lucky to put it mildly, city should have comftorably scored 4 or 5... Mistakes all over the field, lindelof, maguire, lingard, etc...

bushyzor

Disappointed with Martials performance, didnt hold the ball well today and kept finding himself too deep when he should have been getting inside the box.

Chicharo

Too bad for the first leg, but to be honest they were better team tonight as well. Still we had our chance
Decision not to let Mata take the free kick will remain mystery

Nr.7

Pep’s teams are dirty little cnuts.
Teams should really resort to surrounding the reff every time they make a tactial faul. They hardly ever get booked for that.

Hope I never see Lingard in a United shirt again. Martial was garbage as well.

We tried way too many little passes around their box when a cross or a shot was on.
Also that last few seconds: Maguire doesn’t hoof it, passes to Lindelof and he hoofs it but there’s no United players around City’s box. Wtf?! What the fck are you doing 30 meters from their goal when we’re chasing the score with a few seconds on the clock?!

JPB

Feck it. We beat them without Pogba, Rashford and Fernandes.

fps

I was impressed by the tactics, the effort and the players' discipline.

But across two legs those matches could have been 6-1 and 4-1 easily.

choccy77

I do wonder, what is the point in playing Martial, Big Jess and think we are gonna be an attacking threat?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We had a good go at them, can't ask for more than that, but ultimately we were let down in the attacking third as is often the case with United these days.

I fear for the rest of the season without Rashford banging them in. Maybe Ed will shock us with a new striker tomorrow :)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We are so poor on the ball it takes the wind out of your sails when all you want to do is roar the lads on.

To be fair the result is better than I expected but there was very little to get excited about save for another encouraging performance from Matic before he got his marching orders. Overall, not too bad but not particularly good.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good effort. Actually played well with 10 men. I thought we would just give up.

Ref was utter shite.

On to the next game which we must win.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 231 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results