LC W League Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg

Manchester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 January 2020

stu_1992

Won the second leg which was better than I expected so much so that I ended up disappointed. The Matic red ended any chance of us going in to get another goal really. I know we had a few kick in a good position after that, and it really should have been Mata taking that and not Fred.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
One thing I'm impressed with is that we try to play it out of the back. At the start we had huge hiccups when Fred and ddg used to be sloppy and we made mistakes

But we have come a long way in that regard. We're trying to play from the back and use our pace on the flanks to smash in a cross or get some shots from the edge of the box.

Only two problems, wan bissaka is disgustingly bad at attacking. Can someone explain why it looks like he's about to fall over when he tries to feint? The only other problem is we haven't got a natural striker in the box to finish or receive any crosses.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One bad half will cost you over two legs. Good lesson to remind ourselves of before the Europa League recommences. We won the other three halves, mostly with Matic, 2-0. A win at the Etihad and a clean sheet should be a real cause for celebration, but this one is a damp squib.

More than anything this perhaps highlighted how our squad is really lacking in certain areas. Rashford is our only elite forward with neither Martial or Greenwood being truly good enough to be relied upon, and James not being of sufficient quality either. Rashford can’t return soon enough and I’d going hard for any sort of forward before the window closes.

Very pleasing to see De Gea step up tonight and was my MotM.

Dash247

i feel it was a good effort by the team. A win is a win even though we didn't progress. De Gea was unreal and Fred had a wonderful game yet again. Goal from Matic was a beauty. I was really hoping for Fred to score at free kick at about 87th or 88th minute. City was on us all the time, but De Gea kept us in this.

DoomSlayer

Feck the ref is all I'm saying after this game. Rodri should have been off before Matic got the second yellow and in general both his cards were soft as feck.

City always get away with this tactical fouling and being overly aggressive with their pressing, sometimes refs don't even call their fouls! It's absurd

Irrational.

A special word for Friend: he let so much City shithousery go, and Matic's first booking was absolutely pathetic.

Hope he contracts a mild case of the Wuhan virus.

BestRed

Proud of that performance tonight, had city shitting themselves for a bit. Sending off aside, great game from Matic & Fred. Need more from upfront though, Martial has to do much more!

Roboc7

City missed loads of chances in both legs and toatally outclassed us. Not sure how we won that game, although tactics were negative and relied heavily City being wasteful given our manager and players it was the right call.

Josh 76

i feel it was a good effort by the team. A win is a win even though we didn't progress. De Gea was unreal and Fred had a wonderful game yet again. Goal from Matic was a beauty. I was really hoping for Fred to score at free kick at about 87th or 88th minute. City was on us all the time, but De Gea kept us in this.
You were hoping for Fred to score from the free kick?
Wtf

Walters_19_MuFc

Proud of the boys! Was always going to be tough. Not only because we needed two goals, but didnt have the luxury of putting out our strongest team like they did.

Left everything out on the pitch, and although we didnt go through to the final, we won the game. Confidence boost, if nothing else.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Why oh why is Fred taking that freekick when Mata is on the field? I get having a left footer and a right footer over the ball, but Fred shouldn't have been the left footer. That is Mata's shot all day every day. Fred was putting himself above what's best for the team there. I have no problem with him taking free kicks when there is going to be a cross, but not on a direct shot. When has he ever even tested a keeper, never mind blasting it into the wall or 10 rows deep???

Other than that, good performance by the team. Sure, City were the better team and we only won because De Gea had a De Gea like performance. But we played hard and almost got the result we needed. Amazing considering we were playing a man short for 70 minutes and 2 men short for the last 20. Yes, I'm looking at you Martial. That was bloody awful. Lingard gets a lot of stick around here, but at least he tries. We need a new striker. Martial is just lazy and doesn't see the game without the ball...

Judas

Open to offers
No clue why Fred took the free kick at the end when Mata was on the pitch that was bonkers.

Martial has to be one of the easiest strikers to play against surely, especially when he's in that sort of mood. We desperately need another striker.

ben.heff10

Solid effort. We have beat City 4 out of the last 6 games against them. Ole and his team has potential to compete with the best, i think he has proven that pretty well. I'm excited to see what Fernandes can bring us. Hope he plays already on sat.
This is what I took from it too - was quite impressed tonight. Obviously annoyed to lose but we were on top for spells and played well for much of the game. Something we haven't seen a lot against bigger sides since Fergie, although obviously circumstances of this being a second leg that City only needed to not lose by 2+ goals contributed to that tonight. Bruno and a fit Rashford and we win that game

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What a fecking horrible club City are. Every tackle is a tactical foul to slow the game down. Infuriating to watch but the Berties no doubt love it. Even their pitch invaders are shit.

Solid performance from most in a red shirt. Screamed at the TV when Lingard gave the ball away, shit first touch costs you goals, low and behold City score, albeit offside.

Can't complain about the effort tonight. Hopefully, the addition of Bruno gives just a little bit of magic in the final 3rd. Lingard to be replaced by Andreas will strike zero fear into any defence.

DarkXaero

We were very lucky that City decided to be the most wasteful team tonight. When your best hopes of getting a goal are from set piece opportunities, you know that you're a truly mediocre side. Judging by the posts in here, it seems like mediocrity doesn't bother a lot of our fans anymore.

FrenchRed

I'm even more disappointed in Martial - does he ever get into the box? Or does he just stop the ball outside the box and stand still with it? What a shockingly shit effort. I'm starting to think Keane is right about him. Hope we get a loan striker, Rashford cannot come back quickly enough.
As I said in the match thread, I've seen more mobile shrubberies.

I can only think that he is saving the kit man some work, as he didn't break a sweat in that game. No need to wash the Jersey...

Shimo

Flattering scoreline considering the saves DDG made and the gifted chances by Lindelof and Maguire. Am sure there are some positives to take, biggest one is at least we didn't get spanked, heck we beat them on their ground again, can't think of much else though.

I would love to sit in on our training sessions, to see how we work on playing out the back against a team that likes to press. That and how to actually with stand a press in general. Only thing I can think of is that we are so bad at pressing ourselves, that when we do it in training, it's nothing like when a competent team does it. Can't blame players for that because that backline and midfield is a starting set of players, they should have it down already.

On to Wolves who gladly will let us play out the back all day long.

RedIan

Well we won the game and at least didnt disgrace ourselves. City were by far the better team over 2 legs so no complaints. We gave it a good go tonight.
Matic was immense again today until he got sent off. Lingard was really bad even by his crappy season, he fecked up every attack with bad passes or loosing them ball.

Martial and Greenwood were anonymous. One of them has to be a box player not wide ffs.

So so frustrating Fred was allowed to take that free kick, he is easily the worst shot in the team, i saw Mata look to the bench to say WTF is going on but Fred took it and cooked it up as expected.

Hone Fernandes can play v wolves.

DON’T PANIC ™

Not a bad result considering the gulf in talent between the two teams. Shame we didn’t nick a second goal at the end. I can’t understand why Mata didn’t take the free kick.
We need to stop this playing the ball out from the back when our players are so nervous in possession.

Chairman Steve

We won I guess. The attacking four was fecking rancid. Thank god Brunos on his way to hopefully change things for the better.

fps

Attacking options destroyed by Martial not playing at all as a striker/ CF in a useful way.

always_hoping

Pride restored after that awful 1st half in the 1st leg.

If you are to go out at the semi final stage I suppose beating Man City in the Etihad Stadium and keeping a clean sheet is one way to do it.

The Matic sending off 2nd half sent City on their way to Wembley and the winning goal in the tie turned out to be a Pereira OG.

If Rashford, McTominay, Pogba, Bruno was available you could agurably say Solskjaer would have won his first trophy as manager for United.

Fitchett

Good effort and performance, despite playing with a man down while Lingard was on the pitch, which was doubled when Matic got a red card. That wouldn't have happened if someone had taken a shot, instead of dicking around needlessly passing until they lost the ball, immediately beforehand. And why did Fred take that late free kick and not Mata? De Gea was brilliant, especially early on. Get Pogba and Rashford back, include Fernandes, and we will be a much more formidable team.

Cpt Negative

Didn’t think Matic warranted a red card. Both were really soft.

city got away with umpteen tactical fouls, always in positions when you’ll never get booked.

bit more quality and we’d have gone through. Players needed to take more risks ultimately

choccy77

Fred has spent half the season unable to pass the ball, so to take the most important free kick in the clubs current history, is a joke.

Mata was clearly unhappy, shouting at the bench.

Still Mata has no chance now, with two Brazillians on the pitch :rolleyes:

reddevil80

We outplayed them for the most part. Not a fantastic game but we CAN mix it with the better teams and we deserved the win. Not enough to warrant getting to the final but happy enough to beat them in their own backyard and Sterling still can't do it:lol:

reddevil702

This is exactly why we need a new manager. Our play out of the back and movement and positioning in the final third is a complete joke. This won't change regardless of the players that are brought in. Ole is not capable of getting this team to play any better than this.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
what a depressing season

Thank god we're signing Bruno. Andreas and Lingard at no 10 have been a disaster for the club.

We need a proper striker now. Martial is not reliable at all.
Hopefully we see a different martial when he’s got Bruno behind him, the amount of runs he made tonight and no one tryed to find him.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 231 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man City 2:0 Man Utd
  • 14% Man City 3:0 Man Utd