LC L League Cup Semi-Final

Manchester United 0:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 January 2021

Pooley247

He just loves that centre back partnership doesn’t he?! When’s he going to learn, naive to say the least. Donny getting a few mins is also a joke, Ole’s in game management is non existent. City were good tonight but we didn’t help ourselves, onto the next one. ( how did we miss out on Dias, looks mustard).

Alemar

OGS needs to learn. This City team presses better, gets the ball back quicker and better, and their set pieces are better. Our coaching team needs to do a lot of work, to be frank (and also the manager needs to make subs earlier)

TheBreadTruck

what did we hit and create...at home?
Bruno had the only shot on goal from either team that drew a good save, Maguire 2 headers from corners, and that ball over the top that Rashford didn't control (looked marginally offside though?) spring to mind.

Also that ridiculous upper arm clearance from Stones was great.

Fluctuation0161

Best team won. We are a one player team. When Fernandes is off form we are shit. Cavani cant come back soon enough and take that waste of spaces place up front. Fred/McTom just doesnt work against the better teams either. I hope ole goes and buys a really good DM now and allow another AM to play.
I couldn't believe how badly Martial played!

The Oracle

Quite simply the game was neck and neck until a moment unlocked the match...

Step up Scott McTominay who needlessly fouled Raheem Sterling when he was going nowhere. Absolutely amateurish and pathetic.

2 shots on target in a Semi-Final at home. Abysmal.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
City players know what it's like to win, ours are struggling for belief
Exactly why we need to get that first trophy for this team, how many trophies has our players won? Think Pogba and De Gea are the only ones who have real experience fighting for the highest honours.

Pjisared

Typical Ole brings DVB on for three mins with 87 minutes of previous shite if I were him i would have been tempted to tell Ole to feck off

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not too bothered really. Two set pieces. Would have liked to have seen us have more possesion really. I hate that bald prick dominating us everytime we play him.

Mourinho would have Mourinhoed us anyway in the final. Which he will also do to City.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bringing VDB on that late on was horrible management, I will say that. Just leave him on the bench at that point, almost seemed disrespectful to him. Just daft stuff and adds to the narrative.
Gets him some action before 90 mins in the cup at the weekend.
And stops a petulant Fred second booking late on.

Betson

No complaints really , we were up for the game and the effort was good. But we don't have the quality City have.

They are now kicking into form again and no matter how we set out we just don't have the quality they have , if we played them 10 times when they are on their game I think you would get a similar result no matter how well we played.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Such an embarrassing lot, yous. It was about as even as a match as you could get and one team scored from two set pieces. Martial was poor, but how good was Sterling? Bruno off the pace but was de bruyne much better? Rashford looked tired but did you see Mahrez?!

Yeah we concede too many from set pieces but we've been that way for years, trying to take anything else out of that game is positive. The result is bad but by Christ by the sound of you lot you'd think we'd been destroyed. Absolute cry babies.
What does that actually mean?

PS: KDB was much better than Bruno because he kept it simple and didn't waste a pass. He also was a centimetre away from a goal. Not outstanding but he wasn't attempting Hollywood football

Oranges038

Shite to lose as it always is, disappointing performance overall.

I thought it was a pretty poor game from both sides. Neither really did much from open play. The set piece goals are killer, the defending for the first is just such a basic and terrible error. The second is avoidable too, it is a poor header out.

Things that really annoyed me tonight, were Bruno just giving the ball away time and again, trying stupid flicks when a touch and pass is on, the pressing of the front 4 (or a half press or whatever it was supposed to be), and the composure and control in the final third. Rashford and Martial just wandering around not doing anything in particular.

Martial is such an enigma of a player, sometimes he just looks either lost or like he's never even seen a football before.

croadyman

Yet again we are undone by two set pieces which is so bloody frustrating, clearly need to look at appointing someone to help with that but we won't bother. Dias also showed us what we could have had in defence as well which was a bitter pill to swallow and showed up our recruitment team.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think this is true. City's players have that bit extra motivation.

Ole should be on the sideline screaming stuff IMO.
TBF, neither do. Pep was tearing his hair out before HT, he pretty much knew his team should have been behind for some wasteful passing

united for life

Watch it back dude, I have 5 or 6 times. U can’t blame Maguire totally for that
look to be fair, I was also thinking about the risk of own goal. However, watching it go past him hoping that no City player taps if in from behind him is not an acceptable decision. Probably players in front of him in the defense line are also to blame, but I expect more from our leader at the back.

arthurka

Giving away cheap goals every game. The game was very balanced until that. Harry is the biggest culprit for me. But City deserved it after the goal they controlled everything. Need to rest the cannons Vs Watford.

Xeno

What’s going on with Pep’s hands in and out of his pockets he looks like he’s clucking

Green_Red

Nice little reality check for us. Meaningless trophy. On to Burnley.

James35

This is a major reason why this team is not winning the league. The mentality is so weak and even Bruno is affected, it seems by going into big games in the wrong mindset. Now 4 semi final losses in a year is surely not breeding any confidence. Everyone just looked a second slower than City and so wasteful and slow on the ball and there was only one winner from kick off in my opinion.

This is a bad situation for the team to be in and I'm afraid this may burst a few bubbles after all the recent good feeling about the place. Let's make sure we beat Burnley as the Liverpool game will be too much mentally for this lot, of that I'm quite sure.

Also Ole play Bailly if he is fit, we need pace at the back. I agree 100% with Rio...Maguire and Lindelof give me nightmares.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They didn't create anything from open play and scored through a couple of set pieces.
They were the better side, mate, no point in denying it. Bruno had an off-day, Pogba had a Pogba day, Mctominay was awful, Rashford and Martial were poor, etc etc.

The bright side is now we get to see how this side reacts to a bad result. Often they're accused of being mentally weak, but Ole assures us his side has matured over recent months and now possess a winning mentality.

We'll find out how true that is against Burnley this weekend.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Ole in the post-match seems to think we’re getting closer to City compared to this time last year, which I cannot understand. We beat them well in the second leg last January and dominated at home in the league soon after. Since then, we’ve fallen off a cliff in the big domestic games.

The schedule after Project Restart last season and at the beginning of this season has been really kind. We are we are and did what we did in the league at the end of last season, because we have not had to go anywhere. Every time we play a big domestic rival currently we cannot score. The second half of this season could be fecking brutal if we don’t sort it out.

wolvored

Don’t think they were really that bad. Had moments where they should have done better but they weren’t bad. Some of the best bits of play came through those 2.
Martial was terrible and the dive he should have got booked for. Look at all the other posters on here. We must have been watching 2 different Martials. Bruno wasnt as bad, but when he has an off day the team doesnt perform

Banana Republic

Rashford is really going through a lacklustre patch. Whether he's carrying an injury or just tired. His general play and decision making has been really poor for a while.
It’s not a bad patch and the regular excuses, carrying an injury, tired etc, just don’t cut it.
The past good performances were infrequent and only in spells to be honest.
At the end of the day, Utd fans need to take off the blinkers and start to realise that he might not be good enough.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
To be fair to Ole he's certainly got our fitness levels up meaning we can stifle the opponent which is what we've basically been doing the last month but come up against a team like City on form and the cracks show. The difference in possession was night and day. They had a man over for the majority of the game meaning they could get themselves out of tight spots whereas we once again reverted to losing the ball quickly because there was no one to play it too. Pressing against a top team has to come with a plan.

Fluctuation0161

City too solid in defence for us, made our attack look not just average but poor although they didn’t help themselves at times. Maguire switching off for a set piece in an evenish big game is just classic us at the moment. Not that arsed about the league cup but we’ve put a lot of miles in the legs in the last 12 months to not make a single final.
I think fatigue played a big part.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They were the better side, mate, no point in denying it. Bruno had an off-day, Pogba had a Pogba day, Mctominay was awful, Rashford and Martial were poor, etc etc.

The bright side is now we get to see how this side reacts to a bad result. Often they're accused of being mentally weak, but Ole assures us his side has matured over recent months and now possess a winning mentality.

We'll find out how true that is against Burnley this weekend.
Burnley is on Tuesday. Watford on Saturday. :D

Fluctuation0161

I know if I talk now about Ole, thousands will just mouth bile at me, but feck it. There you can see the difference between a top manager and a non top manager. It does not matter how long he will manage us, he will never ever be as good as Pep. Even the time we won against them, they played better, in the end the quality of the manager will come good. How bad in-game management you have to do to feck it like tonight?
Ole vs Pep.

Played 7.

Won 3.
Drawn 1.
Lost 3.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ole-gunnar-solskjaer/bilanztrainer/trainer/7286/plus/1

Carl S Bridge

We weren't bad tonight, city were better but there wasn't much in it despite the score. A long range strike and a fortuitous free kick was the difference. It was just one of those days.

The forward four were simply just not quite at it in the moments they needed to be, and I believe city were just luckier tonight in that every 50/50 bounce of the ball seemed to favour them.

Move onto the next game with head held high that this was a decent game against top quality opposition who will most likely win the league, who only just shaded it.

Have to say I thought Maguire,barring trying to leave the free kick, which he could have easily put into his own net, was excellent tonight

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 241 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 10% Man Utd 1:2 Man City