PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 March 2021

Anders Agnalt

I hope to see Henderson a lot more in the future, he's a Manchester United keeper?! Having a keeper communicating with the defence is vital and he's able to start the counterattack!
Shaw was MOM in my mind with Martial as a good number two

Eire Red United

Yes. We won but we weren't "much better". Don't tell me you think the league table is lying?
We were the far better side today and they looked bang average. Maybe they had an off day, but we played well. Overall the table of course doesn’t lie, they’ve been far more consistent and haven’t dropped silly points against shite teams.

romufc

So the best CB in the PL got bullied by a player who has not been in form all season?

Davmah

One man worth thanking for yesterday’s result is the man himself, Jesus. Thank you Jesus

Banana Republic

Conceding in the last few minutes against Leicester- 2 points dropped.
Losing at home to Sheffield Utd. - 3 points dropped.
Conceding in the last few seconds against Everton - 2 points dropped.
Failing to beat WBA & Crystal Palace in the last few weeks - 4 points dropped.

That’s 11 points dropped that would have put us on the same points as City, as of today.
Had we beaten Liverpool or Arsenal in January, when they were both there for the taking, we’d be in front.

Reality check. We are now 11 points behind and this win ultimately means nothing in terms of the PL race. It will be forgotten in a week or two.

If only.....

Skåre Willoch

That’s 11 points dropped that would have put us on the same points as City, as of today.
Had we beaten Liverpool or Arsenal in January, when they were both there for the taking, we’d be in front.

Reality check. We are now 11 points behind and this win ultimately means nothing in terms of the PL race. It will be forgotten in a week or two.

If only.....
If only we won 38 games this season we'd be champions.

UpWithRivers

I see us play like this and its like we on our way back to the United of Old. But we have been here over and over. We then go back to results, no forget results, performances like Palace and its just depressing. Lets pray for a good end to the season. Like Neville said we need a good second place finish to say we progressed. Third place or limping to second and City 15 plus points ahead wont really be progression. A solid second - 8ish points off City and hopefully a cup and that would be a good season. Lets assess in May.

Lappen

I dont know vy, but I gott a feeling, tonight gone be a god god night...
Never a draw.
Margins on our side, VAR and ref will be our twelfth and thirteen player.
Guardiola passing the journalists in fury. Solskear explaining the high-press as a winning concept despite 25 % ballcontroll.

I'm nervous as hell...
My own prediction before the game yesterday!

Couldn't been more wrong.

Margins was not on our side, VAR wasn't needed and ref was not a thirteenth player. Guardiola seemed ok with the result and Solskjaer didn't
have to explain anything!

Lovely result despite not the best day at work fore the central midfield.
Shaw, Martial, AWB, Bruno even James, realy good performance.

Beautiful day today!

Bondi77

If only.....
Fine margins,
That is why the Premier League is the best comp in town.

cyberman

If only.....
Why are you just pointing out games where we dropped points?

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex

If only.....
Once City started the winning run it was obvious we cannot sustain that rhythm and fight for the title this year.
This fantastic win means we are still second and that should be our main goal in the league.
Remember that we've won some cagey games also VS Fulham, Burney, Wolves, Brighton etc

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Once City started the winning run it was obvious we cannot sustain that rhythm and fight for the title this year.
This fantastic win means we are still second and that should be our main goal in the league.
Remember that we've won some cagey games also VS Fulham, Burney, Wolves, Brighton etc
It doesnt always works that way. Sometimes pressure handling could mean the difference.

If we pushed city pts for pts a while longer they will feel the pressure and have a better chance of dropping pts.

May not be enough at the end of the day.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

If only.....
So refreshing. We can never have enough 'glass half full' types on here.

Ludens the Red

Darn, forgot about Bluemoon, they are not like Rawk
Aye, rawk is actually fecking hilarious. They genuinely come up with brilliant one liners. Bluemoon is like a gathering of 11 year olds who’ve just discovered naughty words. They literally cannot have an adult conversation about us or Liverpool without using the words cnuts, rags, scum, etc
Either it’s forced or we’re dealing with some really strange adults.

Lentwood

In my mind, yesterday was further evidence that you don’t need two fast CBs to play a high line.

What you do need is a proactive GK and a good press from the forwards.

Martial, Rashford, James and Bruno all worked really hard and that’s vital if we’re going to play high. You can’t have a high-line without a strong press, even if you have peak Van Dijk and Rio at CB. The question is, can Martial and Rashford in particular maintain that work-rate against “lesser” teams?

Furthermore, if you are going to play high you need a GK willing to be aggressive with his starting position. We didn’t need Henderson to be playing “keeper sweeper” yesterday because City aren’t that direct - but we might do against sides like Leicester. De Gea just can’t/won’t do that for me.

Maticmaker

For me the best of yesterdays result, apart from the obvious joy of beating City on their home patch was that with everybody 'firing on all cylinders', we beat the best there is in the PL at the present time. Plus what a difference a pro-active keeper makes!

The problem is how do we get all 11 players to play to that level every week?

Well that's a question for another day, for the next 48 hours or so its United bliss!

Jeffthered

Think we are all fairly euphoric, naturally. We played well, and deserved the victory.

But I, personally, do not draw anything more than that from this game. Not sure that it changes much for me, maybe the main reflection was the performance and prescence of Dean Henderson which seems promising.

From a broader perspective, we should be careful of not becoming a better-than-average-team, that goes crazy when we beat Man City or Liverpool, whilst they continue to churn out trophies.

OleTheGreat

This shows we can play quick passes and receive passes in any part of the pitch and go on from there if we put our minds to it. I saw a lot of good things in that match and for once I thought we did well to keep the ball in the second half. I know we were passive sometimes but that was all in keeping with City's offensive play. We played a great game and it was a great watch. For all the United fans who watched it with a feeling that we might win against City, you guys are the true fans of this great club and for all those who thought we'll get battered, haha! I still thought we made mistakes and gave away the ball many times but It was so great to watch us press, organize and unleash whenever we had a chance. OH MY GOD when will Martial ever get out of this rut. He missed such a great opportunity to score. Both teams had some close chances but I'm glad we were more clinical when it counted. All that's now running in our heads is why couldn't we convert a few of those draws into victories and/or win against Sheffield and West Brom and be closer to City. It would've been a great passage of games if we'd be even within 5 points of City by now. Anyway I want to just be happy about this victory and hope Rashford and Shaw are ok. We need them for the upcoming games. I keep going back and forth about Ole but he should be given all the credit for the win.

The highlight was watching PEP scratching his head during the game. It was truly monumental. :D

Red & White

Exactly my thinking. I never get these “if we didn’t lose here, if we didn’t draw there” comments. That’s the whole point isn’t it? We did get those results, so we’re where we should be in the league. We were awful in a number of those games and, yes, a couple of dodgy decisions and a late equaliser against Everton conceded meant we dropped points. WBA could have beaten us if they took their chances. All the games you mentioned as well could have been more dropped points. It’s swings and roundabouts.

If the game was a six pointer who’s to say City wouldn’t have put in a better display? Still smiling about the result yesterday and I certainly won’t be forgetting about it in a week or two. Well done, lads!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not a complaint but did anybody else find yesterday's match a little boring? I was a bit tired admittedly but I really struggled to keep interest for the whole 90 minutes. At one point I even started to do some hoovering.

The stadium looked so cold - the blue? - and I think the lack of fans is really telling in these big games. I'm sort of sitting there thinking the atmosphere is just so much less exciting than it usually is.

This says nothing about the performance of course - it was of course a great result.

Verminator

Not a complaint but did anybody else find yesterday's match a little boring? I was a bit tired admittedly but I really struggled to keep interest for the whole 90 minutes. At one point I even started to do some hoovering.

The stadium looked so cold - the blue? - and I think the lack of fans is really telling in these big games. I'm sort of sitting there thinking the atmosphere is just so much less exciting than it usually is.

This says nothing about the performance of course - it was of course a great result.
You need checking for a pulse! :lol:
I bit my nails down to the elbow.

largelyworried

The lack of fans makes a difference for sure. Its weird how much difference it is having fan noise vs no fan noise. Its a large part of why some games lack intensity. I'm sure that's why there are so many poor home records this year.

Rossa

In my mind, yesterday was further evidence that you don’t need two fast CBs to play a high line.

What you do need is a proactive GK and a good press from the forwards.

Martial, Rashford, James and Bruno all worked really hard and that’s vital if we’re going to play high. You can’t have a high-line without a strong press, even if you have peak Van Dijk and Rio at CB. The question is, can Martial and Rashford in particular maintain that work-rate against “lesser” teams?

Furthermore, if you are going to play high you need a GK willing to be aggressive with his starting position. We didn’t need Henderson to be playing “keeper sweeper” yesterday because City aren’t that direct - but we might do against sides like Leicester. De Gea just can’t/won’t do that for me.
City is the perfect team to play a high line. They don't have many players that are a threat on the break, and they don't play much on the break. Sterling being the only fast player in their front three, and even he would be caught by AWB who in all fairness has Sterling deep, deep in his pocket. Against other teams with a more direct counter attacking style, I think we might struggle more. Not sure I want to see our two centre backs in a foot race against Calvert Lewin or Vardy, for instance. If injuries permitting, we have Bailly that we can use for those matches.

Skåre Willoch

Defining United is a bigger challenge for me than my thesis.

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

Manchester United (also Man United infml) a very successful and popular English football club from Manchester who play their home games at a stadium called Old Trafford. In 1999, Manchester United became the first club to win the European Cup, the FA Cup, and the Premier League competition in one season. It has won the Premier League and the FA Cup many times, and has also won the UEFA Champions League. The team's nickname is The Red Devils. Its full name is Manchester United Football Club (MUFC).
You're welcome. Good luck with your thesis.

gorky_utd

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

You're welcome. Good luck with your thesis.
Thanks. It is so difficult to understand the current squad. I mean no body in UCL will probably give a better performance than Utd yesterday and at the same time we are not even in UCL knockouts.

rollingstoned1

Seriously if awb improved his attacking output even a bit he would match Shaw on the other side. It would give us perhaps the best pair of fbs in the continent.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Glad to see Match of the Day agreeing with me that Scotty was awesome (even i Shaw did just beat him to MoM) and that some have seen a little bit of Peter the Great in Dean Henderson. We look so much more secure and confident with him in goal.

Not much to be said about the game that probably hasn't been said already: we absolutely deserved to win although City did a great impersonation of us with the chances they crated and didn't score. In a way though the win makes me more angry at the truly stupid points we've dropped this season.

It was nice to see Martial have a good game but for me he still isn't good enough to be a United centre forward: missed one more-than-half chance (the header) and one that my grandfather would have scored - and his been dead a very long time!

As I said, brilliant from Scotty and the whole defence. Finally, we won a game where we did have to rely on a world-class performance from Bruno. Not sure we'll get through in the Europa, we just aren't consistent enough for me to be convinced. Let's see how we do against West Ham next week...

Nice to have the early kick off on Thursday - loving these while not have to trek to work.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 380 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man City 2:0 Man Utd
  • 17% Man City 3:0 Man Utd