PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 March 2021

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thought we contained them well and that it was a "deserved" win, actually.

They didn't create enough to "deserve" any better.

Having browsed some stats and xG numbers today, those seem to bear out my impression during the game too - which some will probably dismiss, but I find it useful to check how the pure stats match up with one's impression of what went on.

LuckyScout78

Yesterday result was showing United have good enough CDM in McFred. And Matic as back up.
What i have always say and recommend is. United need a offensive and creative nr.8. A Paul Scholes. Against tight defend and parking bus. Without another Paul. Paul Pogba. Bruno is alternative short time solution for Pogba and until the summer transfer window open up.

A attack start a lot deeper then through Bruno as nr.10. Against team like Sheffield U, West Brom and Palace. United were struggling. Not only because United lack a top quality RW. But United were lacking a double Paul, to delivery through passes to the attack 4. McFred midfield work best against team with a high line and a more open defend, like City.

Struggling against Sheffield and West Brom. Twice. Then United coach should know the reason why they are struggling. Then go into Palace 3 rd time. You still use the tactic and line up against two others tight defend teams. It just show how stubborn or not been able to see where the problem and reasons why United are struggling against tight defend.

Bruno is playing as a nr.8 for Portugal, a cm. So Bruno definitely can play as a nr.8. When Ole has play Bruno as right and left winger. So why not try Bruno as nr.8?Then play Martial and Greenwood upfront. And James or Diallo as RW.

Against tight defend without Paul Pogba :

James/Diallo - McTom - Bruno - Martial/Rashford

Greenwood - Martial/Rashford/Cavani

It’s never a good tactic/idea and plan. To get Bruno stuck as nr.10. When your team is screaming for a super creative and skillful nr.8. You naturally limit your team potential and level.
Another good CF in Greenwood is better than a Fred/Matic/McTom as a nr.8. Fred, McTom and Matic will never reach the level of Pogba and Bruno as a nr.8.

This are the reasons United will be a lot better with Bruno as nr.8 against tight defend, special with Pogba out of injury.
Against tight defend. I have seen enough of Diallo. That he can combine with Bruno as a nr.8, with Rashford and 2 others CF.

So with Pogba still out. I really hope and wish. For United best. See Bruno as a nr.8 behind 2 CF whom he can spread and feed them with through passes and run behind CBs back.
Believe me. Play Bruno as nr.8 with 2 really good CF upfront. Will get good results against tight defend. 100 % convinced about that.
United and Ole were struggling exactly the same against tight defend in the end of last season. Still 3 time this season. Again. Are Ole stubborn or he hasn’t figured out reasons why they are struggling against tight defend?Because he keeps repeating it.

redmanx

I'm just not here for "much better". City still had several moments that needed a final touch to turn into a goal.
And so did we, we could have had 4 but for wayward finishing; I really do believe that some people on this forum simply dont want to accept that at times United have been very, very good, some people dont really want us to win it seems.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
And so did we, we could have had 4 but for wayward finishing; I really do believe that some people on this forum simply dont want to accept that at times United have been very, very good, some people dont really want us to win it seems.
People are expressing caution in lauding decent performances given how wildly inconsistent we've been.

always_hoping

Reality check. We are now 11 points behind and this win ultimately means nothing in terms of the PL race. It will be forgotten in a week or two.

If only.....
If only your aunt had balls..

The PL title race was done and dusted long before this game no reality check required for that.

Beating and keeping a clean sheet against Man City side on 21 game winning run is a Derby moment that will be remembered for many years to come.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 380 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man City 2:0 Man Utd
  • 17% Man City 3:0 Man Utd