PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 November 2021

jimmyb2000

And what's that got to do with what I said?

It's also not true anyway, it's the manager and board's squad. They've mismanaged it for a decade more or less now. It's close to being a really good squad but it's a difficult one to manage and Ole isn't good enough to do it. It's been clear for weeks now.
Your posts are very boring so I'm sorry but I can't reply as I've already fallen asleep

jimmyb2000

Hi all been a united fan since the 80s even though I must admit back then as a kid I nearly moved over to Everton as we were poor.....

having browsed this site for years I have decided to Take the plunge and join not to bash Oli or the players but just feel the time is right For me.

Anyway need to ask and didn’t think this would be my first post on Redcafe but did anybody else hear Harry Maguire at the second goal shout away?? i have read that someone thought it was De Gea but unless he has a English accent now it was def HM..

WUM alert.........WUM alert........WUM alert

Thiagoal

Who’d have thought that after spending hundreds of millions on some of the worlds most sought after attackers he’d start three games in a row with effectively 8 defensive players! Yet the board don’t seem to care!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Who’d have thought that after spending hundreds of millions on some of the worlds most sought after attackers he’d start three games in a row with effectively 8 defensive players! Yet the board don’t seem to care!
He paid record fee's for defenders as well.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Just back from the game.

My takeaway from the game. We are now cheering winning throw-ins and one of their players slipping.

It's a numbing experience.

NK86

Just back from the game.

My takeaway from the game. We are now cheering winning throw-ins and one of their players slipping.

Has the crowd turned on Ole?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This cannot go on any longer.
My patience has almost run out.
This isn't the Manchester United I have loved for almost 60 years.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Haven’t seen us so inferior to an opposition in many many years. Complete shite.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Has the crowd turned on Ole?
The crowd within pockets have turned most definitely. You hear the discontent. However, they will not sing Ole out. Match going fans are very respectful of staff. Never happened during Moyes, LvG, or Mourinho.

If you mean turning in general then the team were booed at both halftime and full time.

NK86

The crowd within pockets have turned most definitely. You hear the discontent. However, they will not sing Ole out. Match going fans are very respectful of staff. Never happened during Moyes, LvG, or Mourinho.

If you mean turning in general then the team were booed at both halftime and full time.
Yeah the boos were clearly audible. I can understand the crowd not singing "you're getting sacked in the morning", but it would be good that they don't clap off the players/coaching staff after performances that we have seen this season. I am sure there is a threshold for all when it comes to being polite and courteous and I think it is just around the corner, if not already there.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Not with this coaching team they won't. They're not good enough at their jobs to beat teams managed by the likes of Tuchel, Klopp, Guardiola and win trophies

Also, Ronaldo had no service at all today and still could have had 2 goals. The idea he's a flat track bully is daft.
There was a time when no defender in the World could live with him. That’s not the case now. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a great finisher, but at 37, he can’t win games single handedly against the top teams, who invariably have top defenders.

Foxbatt

Just back from the game.

I was going to ask you. I saw it on TV the cheer going on for our throw ins.

Hoof the ball

Just saw Pep's post-match interview.

I mean, he's literally describing in tactical detail precisely how he beat Ole's setup today. You don't need to keep your cards close to your chest in interviews when you're confident in your ability to see the tactical details.

Pep - "They're a transition team, and we thought we'd have to put the ball in the fridge (basically give us none of it), so, a lot of passes, a lot of passes, a lot of passes, and at the last moment arrive there." (create definite chances).

Interviewer - "How good was the movement of the players today?"

Pep - "Move the ball......it looks like the players are moving, but it's the ball. The people believe "how they move", but no. It's the ball that moves. Everybody has to be in their position. When you (the players) move much, it's no good. The ball comes where we are; we don't go to pick up the ball. Completely different."

Interviewer - "How much was it pre-determined? Switching the balls?"

Pep - "Because of the shape. They play 5-3-2. When we are in the 2nd part of the buildup, so the United three cannot control the width of the pitch, and the spaces were there."

etc, etc. He's basically giving him a tactical breakdown post-match.

fps

It needed both.

How can you play football with a midfield of McTominay and Fred? And let’s not go any further about how out of his depth the manager is in all aspects of the game
The club’s best all round front player is Cavani and he now isn’t playing. He was setting the work ethic and him not being in the starting lineup is just killing the progress the team was making at the sharp end.

Sviken

Pep - "They're a transition team, and we thought we'd have to put the ball in the fridge (basically give us none of it), so, a lot of passes, a lot of passes, a lot of passes, and at the last moment arrive there." (create definite chances).

Pep - "Move the ball......it looks like the players are moving, but it's the ball. The people believe "how they move", but no. It's the ball that moves. Everybody has to be in their position. When you (the players) move much, it's no good. The ball comes where we are; we don't go to pick up the ball. Completely different."

Pep - "Because of the shape. They play 5-3-2. When we are in the 2nd part of the buildup, so the United three cannot control the width of the pitch, and the spaces were there."
That's some nonsense talk I don't understand. What did he say about passion, winning the 50/50s, having the desire, giving it a go? Tactics are of no interest here.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

I mean, he's literally describing in tactical detail precisely how he beat Ole's setup today. You don't need to keep your cards close to your chest in interviews when you're confident in your ability to see the tactical details.

But... But... I thought managers didn't talk tactics in press conferences because they don't want to give away their secrets?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This is not about:
Neville.
Keane.
Souness.
Moyes.
LVG.
José.
It is about Ole. He has been in position for 3 years.
These are his players.
These are his coaches.
These are his tactics.
And, to use my best Bristolian, it ain't working. And it ain't gonna work.
So we have to make a change.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's some nonsense talk I don't understand. What did he say about passion, winning the 50/50s, having the desire, giving it a go? Tactics are of no interest here.
Running, lots and lots of running. No City don't do that. They let the ball do the work. It was us running about like headless chickens.

Carolina Red

Staff
“United exists to look good on posters and to drive up social media engagement metrics”
- the Men In Blazers show (yesterday)

Today has only reinforced that

red4ever 79

Didn't feel anger today. Just empty and a form of acceptance. That's what Utd have done to me. Seeing Ole line up with 7 defenders at home you just realize the objective is to try and not lose. Let that sink in. Try and not lose. Never mind try and win. We are Manchester United at home and we are trying not to lose. The club don't care. The owners don't care. The manager cares but he is shite. Today I felt no anger, no upset, nothing just acceptance

DeGea

Look at that. That's how a United manager should speak about tactics. A complete deep understanding of the game. Ole is out of his depth. I am ashamed for Ole. Ole should be ashamed of himself. He has no business managing at this level.

vlad93

Maybe Pep meant give the ball to Harry Maguire.
In football manager I always hired the best expensive coaches. We dont have the best coaches. I saw on our bench against liverpool Ole asked Carrick any ideas. Then he asked McKenna any ideas. No. It was 3 nil to liverpool. At least today it was only 2 nil. We parked the bus at least.

Speedicut75

And Pep didn't even mention about being "a wounded animal" in any of his ramblings about formation, transitions, shape, width, space & movement. It's like he's never coached a game in his life.

Revaulx

It's all complete clutching. Blaming abstract attributes like spirit, mentality and character is comforting. It gives us the illusion that the difference between miserable incompetence and respectable decency is all in the head and attitude which is a nice thought I suppose since the latter cannot actually be evaluated. Much harder to look at technical and tactical elements and show precisely what is going wrong.
I think we’re perpetuating a rather pointless culture war here. The abstract attributes you rightly deride have a measurable, practical equivalent: it’s called hard work.

Whether City’s players are “warriors” or not, the simple fact is that their work rate massively outstrips United’s. It’s not just about technical and tactical elements.

Ole got pelters on here early in his reign for pointing out that it was unacceptable for United’s players constantly to be outrun by their opponents. The fact that he’s been shit at his job and hasn’t managed to sort that out doesn’t mean that he wasn’t right.

AFC NimbleThumb

Translation. They’re sh*t.

singhters

Totally forgot about this forum, i've not posted for some time.

Disgraceful performance, again mistake after mistake,

even clearing the ball it goes straight to the opposition and fernandes makes no attempt to stop the cross, that was the first goal, bailly was unlucky imo.

2nd goal - same again wan bissaka makes no attempt to close him down and when the cross comes in, shaw just watches the ball all of them just watching wtf ?.

and finally i just wonder does the coaching staff play this back to the defence and midfield and question why they didn't track back or close down etc and address their mistakes ? seriously what's going on, i just don't understand why this is not being addressed and mistakes ironed out because to me the same mistakes keep happening.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There was a time when no defender in the World could live with him. That’s not the case now. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a great finisher, but at 37, he can’t win games single handedly against the top teams, who invariably have top defenders.
He wouldn't have done much better at any point in his career. We simply didn't have any of the ball.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 324 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 1:3 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Man City