PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 6:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 October 2022

UnitedWA

Can anyone explain to me why the feck is Eriksen on Haaland during that corner from which he scored??? Also Eriksen is guilty for the first goal too, Foden escaped him like a fool.

The Dane

No doubt that Pep had them all fired up today and they were much more motivated and prepared than us. Pep did not want to loose to his former apprentice and wanted to make sure he was shown who is the boss in Manchester. You don’t normally see him jumping around and celebrating like that when they go 3 and 4 nil ahead.

Loon

:lol:
Was always gonna get worse before it gets better. This is one of the worst days (I hope).

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The idea was that our manager would make the team play better and improve the players individually. Because he was spectacular as a manager. When will we start seeing that?
Don't overeact to one performance. Mctom, Varane, Dalot, Sancho and Rashford have all improved since he's been here.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't overeact to one performance. Mctom, Varane, Dalot, Sancho and Rashford have all improved since he's been here.
Was McTom actually ill during the week, Varane got injured and we suffered for it. Agree Dalot and Rashford have improved, also Rashford coming back from injury. I worry about Sancho and wish he had been with England. It is almost like every time there is a break, either international or summer he has to get himself going again. Like every break is coming back from pre-season.

el3mel

Today yes but he's had a good start to the season. Was one of our best players last month.
I don't see that personally. He scored some good goals but his performance has been mostly invisible away from these goals. He doesn't impact the games at all.

keithsingleton

Can anyone explain to me why the feck is Eriksen on Haaland during that corner from which he scored??? Also Eriksen is guilty for the first goal too, Foden escaped him like a fool.
Not sure it matters, the fcukers are so far ahead of us wouldn’t of mattered who was covering him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
First of all we scored 3 goals because City had lowered their guard. As Berlusconi once said to his Milan team, its not a good thing to humiliate a big team during a derby. That's because one way or another, they will make you pay for it in next game.

A result of that magnitude can't be down to just 1 person. In my opinion its down

a- ETH. His 4-2-3-1 formation was incredibly predictable and was unsuited for this particular game. Eriksen in a deep role might be good enough against sides that United will dominate but not City. Meanwhile Dalot and Malacia are attacking minded FBs with little experience in games of this magnitude. Dalot especially was quite vulnerable having to cover for Antony who is an all out attacking winger. In my opinion we should have gone to a more conservative 4-3-3 system with McT-Casemiro-Eriksen in midfield, AWB and Shaw as FBs, Sancho and Bruno on the flanks and Rashy upfront. That would have forced City to commit more bodies upfront which would have created some spaces for Rashford to exploit

b- We lack quality. With all due respect but the likes of Dalot, McT and Sancho might be good for smaller sides or for the bench but won't cut it against City

c- the team was all over the place. City outclassed us which is fair enough considering that they are the better side. However they outrun us as well. That's unforgivable

Giggsy13

We were horrific and the manager needs to take a long hard look at what he is doing with his team selection and tactics. But funny as feck seeing the predictable whiners going on about Citys spending/financial doping/blablabla when the fact is that we have spent same if not more in the last decade. But yeah never change caf...never change.
I think supporters need to take a hard look at themselves if they’re blaming ten Hag. He picked a line up that had delivered 4 wins in a row. He is rewarding good performances and that’s the right thing to do. Casemiro will be integrated into the starting 11 and I’m certain we’ll see a big response next week.

MrBest

Was always gonna get worse before it gets better. This is one of the worst days (I hope).
We said that after Brentford. We need more players in jan, we have a set of toothless people here. Casimiro also looks like he has come for a pay day, hopefully it's jist rhythm but he looks bad.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I think supporters need to take a hard look at themselves if they’re blaming ten Hag. He picked a line up that had delivered 4 wins in a row. He is rewarding good performances and that’s the right thing to do. Casemiro will be integrated into the starting 11 and I’m certain we’ll see a big response next week.
Fully agree. Supporters are to blame for what happened out there today. Spot on.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Was McTom actually ill during the week, Varane got injured and we suffered for it. Agree Dalot and Rashford have improved, also Rashford coming back from injury. I worry about Sancho and wish he had been with England. It is almost like every time there is a break, either international or summer he has to get himself going again. Like every break is coming back from pre-season.
I think Eriksen being poor just shook the whole team and they all panicked and played without confidence and belief.

I don't see that personally. He scored some good goals but his performance has been mostly invisible away from these goals. He doesn't impact the games at all.
Fair enough. I don't think he's been great but we're seeing an improvement on last season. He was garbage today no doubt.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The idea was that our manager would make the team play better and improve the players individually. Because he was spectacular as a manager. When will we start seeing that?
We see it already. It's his 7th league game ffs :lol: Sir Alex lost 6-1 at Old Trafford to City 24 years in. It happens sometimes. Literally it it is. An off day. It will take time for us to develop with EtH, and even at our best, we might not get to the level they're at. Because they're at their peak, have more money than us, Pep is what we hope Ten Hag can reach, and City's structure is 100% designed for Pep to do exactly what he wants with infinite resources. With luck we can get close to that, even if EtH is a Pep reincarnate. But more realistically, Ten Hag is just a very good manager and he'll do well, Pep will leave and City will drop to a reachable level.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Don't be silly. ETH got it wrong today, no doubt about it. Our midfield was destroyed and our defense was cut through with ease. He has to share the blame with the players for this performance,

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think Eriksen being poor just shook the whole team and they all panicked and played without confidence and belief.

Fair enough. I don't think he's been great but we're seeing an improvement on last season. He was garbage today no doubt.
Players can have a bad game, but top players can still find a way to contribute. Eriksen was bad, but still pulled a beautiful pass out for the Antony goal.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Players can have a bad game, but top players can still find a way to contribute. Eriksen was bad, but still pulled a beautiful pass out for the Antony goal.
Yeah that Antony goal was something else. Just like in the 6-1 we score an absolute belter.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The first half was dire and I was fuming watching it, but I've come out of that feeling a bit more zen than I thought I would. I didn't think we would win that game and I knew we are 10,000 miles away from City anyway, so a three goal loss is not horrendous in the end (very defeatist I know).

The big caveat is that we need to see a response in the next few games, particularly the Everton match. If we pick up three wins we're all but qualified in the EL and we'll be back to winning ways in the league, so I think we'll have dusted ourselves off pretty well. However drop points and/or perform poorly and we'll be back in a rut and questions will need to be asked.

croadyman

They deserve a punishment run for that first half,only got back in the game due to City letting up so deserve to suffer.

RetroStu

I got a lot of stick in the match day thread about a week ago when i said i'd take a 1-0 loss of God offered me it, well here we are guys :lol:.
Although to be fair, i was expecting like a 6-1 loss, so a 6-3 loss with a bit of fight in the second half, well the loss shouldnt effect us too much confidence wise.

Make no mistake, City are the team right now.

steffyr2

Varane? The guy who played years for RM and won multiple Champions Leagues? What has Ten Hag done to improve him?
Sancho is terrible.
Rashford is occasionally not terrible.
McTominay is usually terrible.
Dalot, I have no opinion of, but we just did give up 6 goals.

Red00012

Lack of organisation
Varane is off the field for the corner and Eriksen is chosen as the man to mark him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Before today, don't think I've ever given MoM to a guy who only played the last few minutes... says it all

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s a heavy loss against a side that have been heavily financial doping for a decade, lying about sponsors and hiding payments etc… to build their squad under a world class manager.

Meanwhile, it feels like we are starting again after a long period of sustained mismanagement.

We will be back, and when we do, it will actually mean something, as compared to our synthetic neighbors down the road. No matter how much Pep jumps up and down in feigned excitement, it will never wash over how they got there.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think we have to be honest: if I was a neutral I'd have loved watching City. they must be a joy to support these days. As I said on the day Halaand signed: City Have won the PL and the CL and the treble could easily be in reach

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We see it already. It's his 7th league game ffs :lol: Sir Alex lost 6-1 at Old Trafford to City 24 years in. It happens sometimes. Literally it it is. An off day. It will take time for us to develop with EtH, and even at our best, we might not get to the level they're at. Because they're at their peak, have more money than us, Pep is what we hope Ten Hag can reach, and City's structure is 100% designed for Pep to do exactly what he wants with infinite resources. With luck we can get close to that, even if EtH is a Pep reincarnate. But more realistically, Ten Hag is just a very good manager and he'll do well, Pep will leave and City will drop to a reachable level.
It will be interesting to see (a) where Pep goes - and if Halaand follows him or is already there and (b) who City go for after such a successful manager - Lego Pep, maybe?

Resonance

ETH unfairly getting a lot of criticism I think, he has to share some of the blame for today of course but there is no excuse for some of our players incompetence today especially in the first half.
Constantly giving the ball away and misplacing 2 yard passes, that is totally on the players.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
ETH unfairly getting a lot of criticism I think, he has to share some of the blame for today of course but there is no excuse for some of our players incompetence today especially in the first half.
Constantly giving the ball away and misplacing 2 yard passes, that is totally on the players.
Players also weren't following advice: he was clearly telling them to calm down and take their time. they panicked. but yes, he isn't totally blameless either. That said, City are on a different planet and I wouldn't be surprised if they spank Arsenal and Liverpool at the Eithad too

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Said it before, prefer to lose to City like this and beat Liverpool than the other way round. As long as we recover and win everton, newcastle and Spurs in coming weeks, I won't worry too much. Not saying these will be easy - particularly Spurs given the speed of their front three, but in many ways these games are much more important because it's foolish to think we can catch (or match) City any time soon

Dan600

It's weird coming out of a 6-3 thrashing to rivals and feeling not that bad about it. Almost expected it somehow, Haaland is verging on a cheat code at this point. I don't know why I'm not angrier, maybe I'm numb to being thrashed by City at this point, but at least there were some positives in the second half. Varane ankle injury looked potentially nasty, surprised he came back on at all, which ended up being a mistake with the third goal scored.

Can't begin to imagine how Ronaldo is being on the bench the entire game. I imagine ETH will have a battle on his hands down the line.

I could be wrong/misremembering, but I feel like Varane was still of the pitch injured at the time? Maybe it was his man? It's a blur though so I am probably wrong.

Kinky Melinky

There's no universe in which we get some points from game against City in this form, with this manager, with this striker.
That is the reality. Unless they have a freak off day they are going to put every team to the sword

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Even though I’m bitterly disappointed, realistically, away at City is probably our most difficult game of the season. I didn’t expect anything better than a draw.

Having said that EtH got a few big decisions wrong that I would have expected him to anticipate going into the match.

1. The reason City keep the ball so well in the opposition half is because they have excellent technicians, players who have great close control and can dribble and slide past a challenge or two - Grealish, Foden, de Bruyne, Gundogan, Bernardo…that’s 5 out of 6 of the front players. And it’s why Haaland doesn’t need to get too involved in the play (although he’s so good at it.

Contrast that to us…where we have Sancho, Bruno, Rashford, Eriksen, Antony, and McTominay. Out of that 6 only Sancho, Eriksen and Antony can fit that profile. Rashford and Bruno are great counter attacking players but they are so careless and haphazard with the ball. McTominay is slightly better but still a level or two below City’s.

2. Although Rashford has had a mini renaissance this season, there were two instances that really pissed me off and shows me he doesn’t have the stomach for the fight. The first was in the first half when there was a poor pass from Akanji to Ederson and Ederson faffed the pass back. Rashford won the footrace, got ahead of Akanji and was so easily shrugged off the ball. Really pathetic attempt.

The second was a poor Gundogan pass back to Ederson, and Ederson just thwacked it into the air. Rather than contest for the ball against Ake, especially when he was in the better position, Rashford just watched Ake head it out. You could see the difference when Martial came on.

3. Eriksen and McTominay have done well but we’re playing the best team in the league, who are blitzing teams at home, and are probably going to win multiple trophies this season. Playing these two against City’s three was suicidal. Surely this was the time to solidify the middle. Casemiro, the world’s best DM and two out of Eriksen/Fred/McTominay would have been the way to go. With Fred and McTominay they could just push up and press all day long and leave the defending to Casemiro.

It was tactically naive from EtH, and I thought as a progressive exciting manager he would have realised that before kick off.

4. Man City deserved the win of course, but the 2nd and 3rd goal came because Varane was injured in my opinion. I think he would have picked up Haaland for the corner and I think he wasn’t running right for the 3rd.

5. Bright spots were Martial, and Antony. Rest were pretty poor.

Matst1

So many players need benching. Rashford, Sancho, Dalot, Eriksen, Bruno, McTominay. Ridiculous really.
What are you on about? You only just started watching us? Dalot, Erikson, Mctominay, Sancho and even Bruno have been decent past 4 league games.

Red_Aaron

I never for a minute thought we'd win today but recent performances made me think we wouldn't be embarrassed. We've not been brilliant by any means but we have at least been aggressive and proactive and energetic. To see is fail to compete in that first half was a massive disappointment, it was a performance straight out of the Ragnick era. Sickening

Reclaimed a little respectability in the second half but was unquestionably down to city easing off. The only positive being our goal difference didn't quite end up taking the hammering it could have

I'm still firmly with the new manager so choose to view this as a harsh but perhaps useful reality check. We've still a long way to go

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 68% of 246 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw