PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 January 2023

Laurencio

We're back baby! My god, that was amazing. Tactically we played brilliantly, we worked hard, weren't too wasteful in possession, and had some really great chances. The equalizer was quite obviously offsides, and I'd be fuming if City scored something like that, but who cares - we won!

Ten Hag... got us back in half a season, what a manager we have! Absolutely buzzing. :devil:

Yakuza_devils

Malacia has improved so much, how did we managed to sign him so cheap?

AWB has improved a lot too under ETH. He was excellent.

redmanx

YES! There are so many reasons to like this team.

I'm so glad ETH took Martial off at the half. At first it didn't look like it was working but in the bigger picture it was the best thing to do. If your aren't performing and, even worst, not trying, you don't play for ETH. I can't remember a striker in a top league that plays so flat footed in so many situations.

- Rashford!
- Malacia and AWB were some of our top performers.
- Shaw and Varane were great.
- Defensively Casemiro was great, just gave the ball away a little too much
- It's going to be fun watching Garnacho grow and better and better
- The law is a little weird regarding the 1st goal but it was the right call as written. If you make it subjective then refs have to pretend to know what a defender is thinking and that would probably make things worse. Keep it simple and no changes.
- Did I hear jeers from the crowd when Martial was slow to react on a few occasions?

3rd place and rising!
Once again Martial showed he simply hasnt got what it takes to compete in the biggest matches; he looked lost, and at times uninterested, the sooner he goes the better. Rashford, Casemiro, Malacia, Basaka, Shaw, Varane, Fernandes, Erikson, Fred and those who came on as subs all put in proper shifts, flying into tackles, blocking shots, fighting for the cause, each other and the Club....compared to their heroics Martial was woeful and ineffectual.

CoopersDream

Brilliant turn around. Looking mint at the moment, the best we have looked in well over a decade I'd say (maybe since the start of 11/12). Exciting times ahead, indeed.

MrBest

I love beating rivals, especially this noisy lot, with a controversial goal. The anger and unhappiness makes me so happy. At the end of the day, all teams win some and lose some, they akanji and pep and Chris Sutton need to pipe down.

Great performance though, even better tactical changes by EtH who has not a 75% win record which is unbelievable. Massive shout out to Garnacho for me, young kid changed the game and played with no fear.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Who was the guy who sent his missus to watch the game in his place for us to win the game in the match day thread ?

Gasolin

Once again Martial showed he simply hasnt got what it takes to compete in the biggest matches; he looked lost, and at times uninterested, the sooner he goes the better. Rashford, Casemiro, Malacia, Basaka, Shaw, Varane, Fernandes, Erikson, Fred and those who came on as subs all put in proper shifts, flying into tackles, blocking shots, fighting for the cause, each other and the Club....compared to their heroics Martial was woeful and ineffectual.
That’s a bit unfair. Martial allowed us to keep the ball better in the 1st half. And that’s why we had the best chances. In the 2nd half City outplayed us first and scored. That’s Martial’s impact basically. We responded with Garnacho. That was a master class in my opinion.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Malacia has improved so much, how did we managed to sign him so cheap?

AWB has improved a lot too under ETH. He was excellent.
I think he has looked a completely different player since he has come in to the team this season really glad we didn't sell him.

pogbasformerbarber

The fact that Haaland was completely irrelevant was the most impressive part of the game IMHO…I’ll have to go back and look at the tactics but whatever they were they were spot on. Amazing.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It didn't.

When Rashford was momentarily offside he had no involvement, pulled back and at the same time Garnacho took a touch forward, dragging the defender with him and thus leaving Marcus onside before the pass.
What I actually meant to say was that Rashford was behind the ball.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The fact that Haaland was completely irrelevant was the most impressive part of the game IMHO…I’ll have to go back and look at the tactics but whatever they were they were spot on. Amazing.
I think a lot of credit has to go to Fred who just didn’t let KDB play his game, along with Casemiro and Erikson too. Ultimately Haaland was irrelevant because we nullified anyone who could get him the service he needed.

justsomebloke

That’s a bit unfair. Martial allowed us to keep the ball better in the 1st half. And that’s why we had the best chances. In the 2nd half City outplayed us first and scored. That’s Martial’s impact basically. We responded with Garnacho. That was a master class in my opinion.
Yup. I thought Martial had a good game.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Big ugly Hahaha Haaland was garbage, he is a busted flush :lol:

tjb

Honestly, poor second half for most of it, but bloody hell somehow, with a slice of luck we've done it. Amazing result.
Honestly, and people won't want to admit it, but that was due to Eriksen being the no. 10 and his energy level dropping. I don't think people realize how much Bruno does off the ball. The minute we swapped Eriksen out, we had energy through the centre again.

It's something we need to think about going forward. Fred proved that he belongs in the squad, but we probably should be looking for another type of 6/8 that can play with everyone.

tjb

City's xG only 0.65.

One of the best defensive performances I can remember from the last few seasons.

They really didn't create much at all.
This is the area we aren't being credited for imo and what has made us actually as strong as we have been. Our defensive structure and individuals have been fantastic all season. We are really hard to beat at the moment.

When some of our attackers get comfortable enough/ good enough to support Rashford and Bruno, we will be one of the best teams in Europe for some time imo

Okey

Today we arrived. Or at least the Ten Hag era did. We're in a title race folks. Better believe it. We will only get better, cos this is still far from the manager's ideal team. Manchester United are back where we belong. Viva United!!!

RedorDead21

We really really could do with bringing in FDJ this window. Lots of games and we need a quality addition for that league push since the door might be opening fingers crossed…

sport2793

Having rewatched the match all the people slagging off Martial don't have any clue about how the game is played. Ya he's not scoring goals at the moment but his hold up play has been excellent this season and including today, it allows us to maintain more possession than we would otherwise. Bit like how Firmino has been at times for Liverpool. Now he did have to be subbed off, he was limping around towards the end of the half and that's the real issue with him, his injury record. No doubt we need a new striker so he can just be a squad player but he contributes positively to the team when he's healthy.

Telsim

So much seething for that goal from all sides! Take it all in, lads! :lol:

sirAlexsglasses

I don’t agree with some opinions that this was a smash and grab, first half I think we played very well, really disciplined with shape and we pressed well. Second half for 20-25 mins City got their act together and one stupid mistake cost us, some good subs by ETH got us back into it and we looked solid at the back, the transition to midfield was like night and day from previous managers. Had we taken our chances in the first half then City would have been out of it, not only that, we actually have some belief and fight in us now……Fergie esque. If this is what ETH can do with this squad and no real out and out striker……imagine what he can do with a solid number 9 and HIS squad. I knew he was the right man for the job, but I didn’t think he would make such a difference so quickly.

sport2793

We really really could do with bringing in FDJ this window. Lots of games and we need a quality addition for that league push since the door might be opening fingers crossed…
No purchases will be made until club is sold, which won't happen before end of the month. Glazers are broke

Wolfbot

Absolutely brilliant ! Well deserved. We had by far the better chances. They didn’t have a sniff but the goal.

They will cry about the equalizer but it was deserved. Nothing sweeter after watching them fall like dead leaves for nothing and cry all day long.
Totally agree, first goal must be fine according to the current rules but felt a bit sketchy. I don't care though, totally deserved it for all their diving.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:2 Man City