g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 January 2023

BEST No7

Theirs wasn’t possession for the sake of it though. They drained our players down with their passing and started getting a lot more space in the second half.

Their main problem was that this United team (with Bruno and Rashford) get massively more potent in attack when spaces open up.

Our second goal was an excellent example of that. Very few teams score that goal. Our defence and midfield only wanted to get Bruno in a position where he is running onto the ball and can look up. I was really impressed by Fred’s pass to Bruno and Bruno’s to Garnacho.

Also, just saw on the replay that the first goal was a team move and not a counter attack! It started with Shaw winning the ball back in defence and passing it to De Gea. Great job on the transition (regardless of Rashford being obviously offside!)
Wash yourself. Cry

Fts 74

What a win.

I said in the matchday thread before the game started city ain't unbeatable as long as we turned up we'd give them a game.

Thought we'd blown our chance after a good first half and the way they started the 2nd and scored.I still need to get my head round the fact that these days under Eric we keep going!

Absolutely buzzing.

Telsim

I expected them to paste us. I was wrong. What a fecking game!

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The player coming on the right of Rashford could have had a chance of sliding to clear the ball, but Rashford was in the way so he slows down. And by that, also obstructing the player's line of vision.
I don't think just being there is construed as an action. Rashford didn't move to play the ball or change his pace or line. You could argue he obstructed the defender's line of vision but really he knew exactly where the ball was, he just couldn't get to it. That line of vision rule is really for incoming balls, not ones you are already behind.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
Two things I loved:

After they scored the City players started lying on the floor after every little foul. Then we equalised and they didn’t roll around once, funny that.

The end of the game where they basically resorted to hoofing the ball into the Box.

BorisManUtd

Great result in the end, that's huge 3 points for us and only 3rd league win over City at OT since Rooney's bicycle kick 12 years ago.

I liked the 1st half, City had most of the ball but we didn't let them have chances really + could've taken the lead through Rashford twice. Second half was different and City were much better for half an hour probably, they deserved that goal Grealish scored as they looked really dominant. Looked to me like game was ended with them perhaps scoring another goal but we caught a lucky break with that equalizer. You never think that goal would be given but it's a stupid rule that played into our favour this time.

Other than win and 3 points I think positives are: 1st half, despite City dominating possesion; and fact that we didn't let them to create chances (other than goal) even when they were dominating in 2nd half.

This + the fact City only had one shot on target. They are obviously a better team and that's why they had long period of domination but not letting them chances is important indicator of improvement.

4 games vs top 6 rivals at Old Trafford this season so far, 4 wins. Only one left is Chelsea in April though it would've been better to play them now given their current state.

MrSingh2002

I liked the lineup once picked but they had to deliver on the pitch and they did.

We nullified their threat for the majority of the game although it looked like we were going to be made to pay for not converting Rashfords big chance in the first half.

The whole back line we're exceptional today. AWB even played a key part in the first goal which is great to see again. We shouldn't be looking to replace him unless there's a player as good as him defensively and better when attacking.

Varane was a Rolls Royce again as was Casemiro. They've made such a difference to the character of the team.

It wouldn't have been the end of the world if we had drawn or lost as the performance was solid. But to get the win is the icing on the cake.

If Spurs beat Arsenal tomorrow somehow this could get very interesting for us. Yet to play Arsenal as part of their difficult fixture list too.

All credit to Ten Hag for the gameplan and also executing it. I hope he gets the new owners that he deserves to make us perennial challengers once again.

GregM40

What a game. Thought we deserved it in the end. Did Haaland even play? Old Trafford absolutely rocking, what an atmosphere. Special shout outs to Fred and Wan Bissaka.

RedIan

Man that was frickin awesome.
City were poor first half and offered no threat. We looked dangerous.

2nd have they were controlling the game for 20 minutes and it was no shock when they scored,
Garnachos introduction seemed to change things. Those 2 goals in 4 minutes took the roof off. Not shouted that loud in a while.

enjoy lads.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
YES! There are so many reasons to like this team.

I'm so glad ETH took Martial off at the half. At first it didn't look like it was working but in the bigger picture it was the best thing to do. If your aren't performing and, even worst, not trying, you don't play for ETH. I can't remember a striker in a top league that plays so flat footed in so many situations.

- Rashford!
- Malacia and AWB were some of our top performers.
- Shaw and Varane were great.
- Defensively Casemiro was great, just gave the ball away a little too much
- It's going to be fun watching Garnacho grow and better and better
- The law is a little weird regarding the 1st goal but it was the right call as written. If you make it subjective then refs have to pretend to know what a defender is thinking and that would probably make things worse. Keep it simple and no changes.
- Did I hear jeers from the crowd when Martial was slow to react on a few occasions?

3rd place and rising!

Robertd0803

I only noticed in the BlueMoon thread that Alvarez was left on the bench for the whole game, is he still hungover from the World Cup or something?

Relfy

Brilliant result and very good performance, that 20/30 mins of the second half aside. We played well, made them go sideways most of the game, kept most of their danger men quiet most the game.

Great goal to win it. Delighted for Rashford as well as Garnacho.

The personality of the team is such a huge difference. Keeping Varane fit and brining Casemiro into the team has made such a difference to the other players.

ETH has brought so much positivity back. Delighted he’s our manager.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Have been sick since Christmas but by Gof did I enjoy that today! Well done lads! Bruno’s ball to Garnacho before the 2nd goal was genius!

Brianschoccysurprise

Incredible atmosphere today once the equaliser went in. It was incredibly tense before it.
The Garnacho sub changed the game. It gave Walker something to think about and ment Mahrez was more isolated, City were cut open a few times once he came on, and were all at sea really for both goals.

NICanRed

I suppose the naysayers will be saying that if our first goal had been disallowed we wouldn’t have had the impetus to go on and score the second!
Haha! I don’t care. I’m ecstatic.

mu4c_20le

Guardiola lost it. ‘We don’t care about the prem or caraboa cup we’ve won a lot let another team win it. :lol:
The things people say when they're under pressure are usually interesting

cpresc

Did anyone else get nervous when Macguire and McTomminay came on?! Turned out to be a smart move but damn that took some balls from the manager

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Still buzzing :drool:

Proud of the manager and the lads. They need to enjoy this today and then start thinking about Crystal Palace as of tomorrow.... we need to keep this momentum going.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Martial was the reason we held the ball well in the first half and were a consistent threat. Sounds like he went off early cos he wasn't fully fit. We can't expect Garnacho to be our hold-up player vs arsenal for 90 minutes.

This game showed exactly what Martial gives us.
I thought he gave us nothing!

redmanx

YES! YES! YES! YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YES!
Was it good for you? It was bloody orgasmic for me! YES!

LARulz

The pundits will be talking all week about the first goal controversy rather than focus on what a drastic improvement we have made.
Let them, keeps the pressure off us and gets our players more annoyed about it/create a siege mentality

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:2 Man City