PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 March 2024

Ekeke

Onana and Haaland kept it from being 6 or 7.

We had 3 shots and scored from 1 of them

Onana was our best player including a big kick up to Bruno to set up the goal

Pretty much the rest of the game was sitting behind the ball and defending the width of the box. Our players were nowhere near good enough defensively to keep City from scoring and defending a 1 nil lead. We might have held on for a draw but once again our players arent good enough defensively to hold out and we let in 2 more.

There looked a gap of about £300 million in quality between the two teams. Nowhere close and not closing the gap

United492

But if we go toe-to-toe with the inferior players that we have, we get cut to ribbons and everyone is saying be more "park the bus". It's a difficult one. We're not as good as City, that's clear, so we need to be on our game defensively (which we were for the most part) and use our strengths in attack (speed on the counter). If Rashford could actually control the ball (he took it straight out of play a number of times) or actually showed some strength (which he was working on in his own pre-season before the club's pre-season (is that an issue overall?)) rather than falling over, the gameplan may well have worked out better.

When I played, we always "played to the whistle", fouled or not, we cracked on, tried to get the ball back. Too often our players lay on their backs whinging or having a tantrum. Just get on with it.

I thought we'd get hammered, especially with half our first choice defence missing. At half time I was hopeful. Full time, disappointed.

Lindelof gets a lot of stick. He's a good centre back. A good back up. Playing out of position at LB, against City, fair play to him, he did as well as he could.

spiriticon

More annoyed about Fulham playing us off the park to be honest. We’re miles off challenging, I’m fine with losing to better teams.
We lose to good teams, average teams and shite teams here at Manchester United. We don't discriminate because it's rude.

arthurka

I hate how he sets us up Vs our rivals. If this was it we should have kept Ole.

git_united

More annoyed about Fulham playing us off the park to be honest. We’re miles off challenging, I’m fine with losing to better teams.
Exactly…at home no less. That performance was way worse than this one.

git_united

I hate how he sets us up Vs our rivals. If this was it we should have kept Ole.
We don’t have the quality to not eat 6 against Liverpool, City, or Arsenal if we play a higher block or more expansively. We just don’t. That includes the manager by the way.

sirAlexsglasses

100% had that tackle on Garnacho been a united player making that tackle, it would have been a pen. Whether or not it was a penalty, it would certainly have gone against us in reverse.

Hester_manc

I think we would have got points today if we had had players on the bench who were good enough.

All players who entered the field from the bench were a deterioration of the team's strength:

Kambwala for Evans.

Antony for Rashford.

Amrabate for Mainoo.

Forson for Garnacho.

All four substitutes were deteriorations.

JediSith

I must be the only one who thought we played well as a team. Out forwards were missing or abysmal, Rashford the worse.

But the overall team performance for 60-70 minutes gave me shades of a mix of United away to RM in SAF last season and the home match against Barca at OT when Scholes scored a wonder goal.

In the first half. We gave up possession but were the better team because our goalkeeper and defenders did their jobs to perfection. This led to us actually having the better opportunities than City. Just like our away match to RM in 2012/13

The second half was backs against the wall like the SF at home to Barca and we still created some great opportunities. The weaklink was really Rashford not controlling a ball that would have put him through on goal, fluffing a half volley, and then diving/falling when through on goal. He was at the quality he’s hyped up to be he’d have 1-2 more goals, we win the match and people call this match a masterful performance.

Robertd0803

We arent good enough to beat them out right, we cant play park the bus under Ten Hag because he/the team simply doesnt know how to and we dont have the mentality to shithouse our way to win. Depressing.

We only conceded half the goals we did last year though so I guess thats progress.

BorisManUtd

I think we would have got points today if we had had players on the bench who were good enough.

All players who entered the field from the bench were a deterioration of the team's strength:

Kambwala for Evans.

Antony for Rashford.

Amrabate for Mainoo.

Forson for Garnacho.

All four substitutes were deteriorations.
I expected Eriksen to get some minutes tbh. He's not been great since his injury either but is able to create something obviously.

Roboc7

Sadly go into these games only hoping that score line won’t be humiliating and todays result is about the best you can hope for based on what this team produces week in week out.

Of course the fact it is attack v defence and the gulf in class is as big as ever is a different type of humiliation.

Reiver

It was men against boys out there.
City deserved it. We might be in the same league but the difference between us is vast.

It won't happen overnight but I hope Brexit Jim and Friends can get us to the point where we can play City and not have to park the bus and depend on a whole lot of luck to get a result.

tomaldinho1

For all the plaudits given to them - you have to look at the injuries. Lindelof at RB - constantly exposed, Haaland miss came from Foden’s header back across, breakthrough goal for them was simply him getting done by Foden.

Their second goal was atrocious defending, coming out of the line, massive gap for Foden.

Third goal just tragic down that right again.

Obviously we were outplayed but we shut up shop pretty well.

Wing Attack Plan R

The green shoots of progress recently were because Mainoo got on the ball and Højlund started creating and finishing his own chances. No Højlund and no striker to replace him made this an uphill battle, and Mainoo not getting on the ball meant we had zero control.

Our defense did as well as could be expected when you start a 35 year old 3rd choice CB and push the 4th choice CB out to fullback.

Rashford played like he did his hamstring after that strike, I fully expect him to announce a muscle twang. If we had subbed Rashford off after the goal and played with 10 it would have been exactly the same.

Our players aren’t as good as cnuty’s, and everyone knows it. I expected an embarrassing scoreline but instead we got an embarrassing lesson.

MrBest

I'm only happy because we kept the score down. Genuinely was thinking it would be a matter of how many City would score. That's how immune I am to defeat these days, I just expect it.

Nothing to really say about that game but the same S and a different game. Parked the bus, acted like we have no players, we couldn't pass, we couldn't press properly, Onana saved us a fair few times, Rashford scored a worldie but he could of easily had 3 in the first half. A striker or forward on 350k a week would have scored the other 2.

Subs were depressing, no style of play, looked like 11 men hanging playing in a work football tournament. You want to win but you don't have to, its about taking part.

Casemiro, Bruno, varane, rashford, Evans, dalot, lindeloff - all experienced players only 3 did well. Casemiro Rashford and Bruno are no leaders and offer nothing.

As I said before, I just cannot wait to get rid of these guys. I've stopped buying any merchandise that goes to this club until we do.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Ederson on Garnacho was the best tackle in the game, that so many think that that is a penalty either need to take off the rose tinted glasses or find another sport to follow because if that was a foul then football is done for

Cantonagotmehere

The gap is obviously immense. I'd love to play them full strength but it would not matter too much at this point.

Evans has the cojones this team needs.

Bummer Rashford missed a couple chances after the worldy, but happy with is play today.

Not enough beer in the world to watch Cheaters vs the scouse, but I''ll give it a go....

doomy20

In the last 10 years, both clubs spent similar amounts of money on players...look at we are now...the difference is incommensurable.
I could see some Championship teams playing better football than us, injuries aside.
City spent 795mill while we spent 1.2bn. They are just an overall better run company

Cantonagotmehere

Ederson on Garnacho was the best tackle in the game, that so many think that that is a penalty either need to take off the rose tinted glasses or find another sport to follow because if that was a foul then football is done for
Totally agree. We get fecked all the time but not there.

I do think Walker fouled Rashford. You cant grab the shoulder during a sprint. I get ETH being irate.

Stig

The romantic fan in me wants to go on a rant about all modern players being mercenaries and rarely having long term ties to a club. But being a professional footballer you should have pride in your performance every week and the club you play for, regardless of who they are or how long you've played for them. I can't help but wonder why so many players haven't cared for so long, it can't be a coincidence, it can't be that every manager has been as bad as the last.
Other than Rashford who didn't give it their best today ?
It's just that their best isn't good enough to beat City or be a top 4 team.

Stig

Am I being unreasonable but I think it’s a foul on Rashford by Walker and also a foul by Ederson on Garnacho. If I’m wrong, tell me why.
Walker touched him on the shoulder with about the same force as you might touch someone to politely get their attention.

Ederson took the ball.

Amir

We had 3 shots and scored from 1 of them
We were clearly second best and focused on defending, but stats don't always tell a full story. Rashford had a couple of moments which could have resulted in goals but didn't even end up as shots.

GioF

Walker touched him on the shoulder with about the same force as you might touch someone to politely get their attention.

Ederson took the ball.
Agreed but shouldn’t it have then been a corner? Ref was shocking today in my opinion.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Totally agree. We get fecked all the time but not there.

I do think Walker fouled Rashford. You cant grab the shoulder during a sprint. I get ETH being irate.
Walker on Rashford, would have been a soft foul but you could understand why it wasn't given, but Rashford's only thought was to go down,he could have kept going and possibly have had a good chance of at least getting a shot away

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Agreed but shouldn’t it have then been a corner? Ref was shocking today in my opinion.
I wasn't a corner, the ball came off Garnacho

Last edited:

croadyman

Sad to see our decade long leading at HT record finally go,still got the leading at Old Trafford one but that has been on thin ice too

arthurka

We don’t have the quality to not eat 6 against Liverpool, City, or Arsenal if we play a higher block or more expansively. We just don’t. That includes the manager by the way.
Well the fewest shots Vs City of all the teams in the PL that includes Burnley for example. We play shit football and even with all the players behind the ball we can't defend..

croadyman

Paid the price for wasted chances in the first half:

• Garnacho should have squared to Rashford after 5mins
  • Rashford should have controlled his big chance after the goal, you’d have favoured him in a 1-on-1
  • Rashford at the far post after McT missed the ball. He could either have shot, or squared to Bruno who was unmarked on the penalty spot
Exactly what you would expect from a team low on confidence and missing key players

Nicolarra90

Every time after we play City I'm always amazed at their ability to improve players - someone like Ake was not anywhere near that level when he joined. Our players get worse when they join.

Our squad is so thin - look at the quality we can bring on from the bench - Forson, Kambwala, Amrabat wouldn't get anywhere near Everton or Nottingham Forest's team, yet we're relying on them to make a difference against City.

Varane and Onana were fairly good, but we are million miles away from the required level, and have been for years now.
I personally always liked Ake. Hell of a player.

Speako

If I was Sir Jim, this is how I would feel. I just hope he does too.

Martial

I must be the only one who thought we played well as a team. Out forwards were missing or abysmal, Rashford the worse.

But the overall team performance for 60-70 minutes gave me shades of a mix of United away to RM in SAF last season and the home match against Barca at OT when Scholes scored a wonder goal.

In the first half. We gave up possession but were the better team because our goalkeeper and defenders did their jobs to perfection. This led to us actually having the better opportunities than City. Just like our away match to RM in 2012/13

The second half was backs against the wall like the SF at home to Barca and we still created some great opportunities. The weaklink was really Rashford not controlling a ball that would have put him through on goal, fluffing a half volley, and then diving/falling when through on goal. He was at the quality he’s hyped up to be he’d have 1-2 more goals, we win the match and people call this match a masterful performance.
You are absolutely correct, but it won't stop the bedwetters.

surf

Badly outplayed on every metric: possession 27-73, attempts off target 2-19 and on target 1-8, corners 2-15, goals not quite so bad at 1-3.

James, Cucurella, Silva, Badiashile, Sanchez all missing who would’ve started.

Chelsea managed to grab a draw AND have more shots on target than City, and play better on the counter.

Even though Chelsea are 10th or wherever, Pochettino has been better in setting up away from home in big games this season than ETH. And Poch has been horrible this season, so that is a damming indictment on ETH.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Man City 3:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Man City 4:0 Man Utd