FA L FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 1:1 Middlesbrough

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 February 2022

spacetoonlover

we played a good game. i'm gutted we lost but somehow not caring a lot. i mean even if we continue, can we really beat Liverpool , Chelsea or City to the cup? we would need a huge amount of luck to avoid them and if we happen to face one of them we most probably will lose. so it doesn't matter anyway

GL21

These embarrassing losses are starting to hurt less strangely the more frequently they become. Have we been vaccinated with particles of shite to help us cope with shite like this. Maybe take some hope we created many chances and pogba back with a decent performance could be a game changer for a strong finish to the season....clutching straws

TheSufferingVillain

Supports
aston villa
Feel for you losing a match you should have won easily. I can symphonise seeing that Villa lost a game we should have won in the 3rd round. It's hard to take.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
“It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised”

how exactly did the ref do his job?
Source? Im fairly certain this doesnt apply to offensive hands. Only for blocking.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ridiculous that their goal stood. The performance was good overall, the finishing was so poor though. I don't think there's a single player in our squad that is untouchable at the moment, they're all mostly capable of great or rubbish performances.
The FA cup was our only real chance to win a trophy, I can't see us winning the Champions League, and I can't even begin to give a shit about the top four race, I'm so bored of it. Get a top manager in, hope for some good singings in the summer and see what we can do then.

90 + 5min

I swear there must be some people who watched a completely different match or something. We were pretty good for the majority of the game and Boro was nullified for the most part.

The finishing was an abomination though. Horribly wasteful and even the most ABU of spectators will acknowledge that we should have won.

This game is truly one of those ‘shit happens’ games. We did not look clueless and play zombie football for 2 hours like we may have done in previous years. We have made progress.
Unlucky in every way.

Haters will always hate. Simple.

Abraxas

I didn't think our general play was especially bad tonight. How we didn't take some of those chances is really hard to explain. One of those nights where the opposition got very fortunate.

Nick7

Houdini

A lot of people can't separate the outcome with how the game actually went.

We were totally in control, apart from their 1 breakaway handball goal.

We missed an open goal, a pen, Rashy had countless lashes from 18 yards out, Ronaldo and Bruno had chances. Elanga had a header from about 6 yards out saved.

Even Keano said we could have won 4 games with the chances tonight!

And even then we lost on pens, after we'd put 6 or 7 really good ones in.
There is nothing like "we should have won". Chances mean nothing. What is the difference if you hit the post or not shoot at all? Goals are all that matters and what separate winners from losers. Rest is statistics.

Laurencio

I'm not sure what to think. We had plenty of chances to score, plenty of shots, and plenty of posession. Can't really figure out how on earth we lost that. It's like the players have just forgotten how to shoot.... Should never have gone to penalties.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I swear there must be some people who watched a completely different match or something. We were pretty good for the majority of the game and Boro was nullified for the most part.

The finishing was an abomination though. Horribly wasteful and even the most ABU of spectators will acknowledge that we should have won.

This game is truly one of those ‘shit happens’ games. We did not look clueless and play zombie football for 2 hours like we may have done in previous years. We have made progress.
I partly agree, but I never believe any team should win, especially with the misses tonight. We were wasteful as you said, and don't deserve to go through for that exact reason, it's like when Brentford were wasteful against us a few weeks ago, they didn't deserve to win because their finishing was atrocious.

Yorke to Cole

The man in the VAR room was MOTM for them. Absolutely disgraceful decision. I'm so angry right now i could crack open a can of beer and have a pizza.
I thought Anthony Taylor was close, if not their main man. We should have had a free kick with Elanga on the edge of the box, but an advantage being given with Ronaldo at a very narrow angle.

Red00012

We weren’t going to Win it anyway and probably be embarrassed by City or Liverpool . It’s easier this way .

HailtotheKing

I believe there are 2 tosses. One for ends and one for who decides to go first. We lost the second one.
Ah that explains it then. At least we’re not that stupid. Just terrible at finishing. And extremely unlucky on this occasion. Onwards and upwards.

ClassOf'99

I'm not sure what to think. We had plenty of chances to score, plenty of shots, and plenty of posession. Can't really figure out how on earth we lost that. It's like the players have just forgotten how to shoot.... Should never have gone to penalties.
Player that scored the most goals in the world, has seemingly regressed and forgot to find space to score.

Out top scorer and best player last season, has forgotten how to find the net.

Dortmunds Sancho turned up and then his hamstrings turned off.

Rashford being rash as usual with his decision making.

Elanga isn't anywhere top tier to be relying on to steal a game.

I don't think Mata even got into the box to shoot.

30 shots - 9 on target, i think it would be too harsh to blame Ralf for players not performing.

This one sucks probably the most because of how well we'll played up until chance conversion, it's baffling how so many players can play so badly and yet so poorly at the same time.

Resch

Ronaldo is poison to this team. He stops attacks, because he is not in position to score, his passes are sloppy, would never pass the ball in the box, cries everytime he does not receive the ball in the box and he is too wasteful. Not the player we need, not the leader this team needs

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Narrative flips when we don’t win. Suddenly Middlesbrough played incredible, and they’re all heroes. I thought they were awful, but thankfully for them so was our finishing.
That makes us even worse, though.
I agree that Borough weren't good, but the fact that we drew against them, makes our performance even worse.

jesperjaap

Last season was all about comebacks, this season the opposite. Though of course looks better than it was and is easier against a championsip side, I thought we were good for the first 35-40mins. There was pressing and it looked more organised. The tempo was generally quicker, decent movement off the ball fo ronce (though not spotted so often, especially out wide), we attacked well in triangles....then we seemed to jsut run out of ideas and steam.

The goal shouldnt have stood for sure, but after that, we were unimaginative, unorganised and back to lookign at each other for a spark of magic. We had nobody to blame for the loss but ourselves though, should have been a 5-0 plus game, so many wasted opportunities.

Still a lot of familiar problems though even in the good moments.

Maguire has been absolutely slated, I didnt want us to sign him, I actually still think he is a decent defender though was the wrong option....but he has been abysmal all season. Scores from corners loads for England, we havent scored once froma corner. So slow in possesion of the ball, positioning not great, dawdling in the corners...been abysmal all season.

Dalot....omg!!! I know Bissaka has been poor, but wtf is DAlot getting games for, he is WORSE going forward than Bissaka and cant defend for toffee, nearly everytime he actually challenges for the ball he gives a foul away, he is absolutely abysmal and SHaw seems to have reverted back to 2years ago too, an average full back.

Defensively yet again our midfield is poor. As soon as they beat the press, strolled forward to our defence, gaping holes of space in the middle of the park. Pogba looked decent in possesion...yet still giving the ball away in all the wrong areas, not reading runners, McTominay not reading the game.....I really ant fathom why we bought no midfielders in the summer and didnt take a bargain one in January, Romano commented on some signings we turned down, madness.

WOnt even go into the attack and mentioning ertain player missing and the lack of form...so much is wrong with this side

Wing Attack Plan R

Terrible finishing and a terrible referee knocked us out the cup.

Varane and Sancho were very good.

Ronaldo was really poor, worst game I've seen him play in years.

Shaw and Jones should be ashamed of themselves letting Elanga go up for the pen when they are veterans. You'd think Shaw particularly would have learnt not to put that burden on youngster after Saka in the summer.
So you're saying you know who picked the order of the penalty takers, and you know what was said and decided on the pitch by the players?

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The IFAB laws of the game. Handball is handball whether it’s offensive or defensive. You’re thinking of the implementation of VAR. VAR won’t call back that handball, the referee and the linesman missing it is just incompetence on their part.

https://www.theifab.com/laws-of-the-game-documents/?language=all&year=2021/22
No im not thinking of VAR implementation. Dont put words in my mouth.

Accidental handball is something different and the exception where it doesnt get penalized applies only to attacking players. In that sense you could say theres a difference.

"An accidental handball by an attacking player or team-mate will only be penalised if it occurs immediately before a goal or a goalscoring opportunity.

If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand or arm and then scores a goal, or the ball goes to another attacking player and they immediately score, this is a handball offence.

But it is not a handball offence if after an accidental handball the ball travels some distance via a pass or a dribble, or there are several passes before the goal or goalscoring opportunity."

From the PL's site last season. All I know is I saw a segment on my Eredivisie subscription this season explaining how the rules had changed and a scenario exactly like the one today would not be disallowed. Van Basten, Gullit etc all thought it was dumb and I agreed.

Wing Attack Plan R

We've gone from having a pretty deep squad to being threadbare in the space of a couple of weeks. Nothing against the guy, but Mata should be nothing more than a cheerleader at this point.

We played well for most of the game, but that should be expected against a 2nd tier team. But our finishing was just shocking.

Shootouts are ace, except when we're involved in them, then feck them forever.
Mata contributed more attacking threat in his cameo than a lot of others did the full game. I don't disagree that Mata should have been let go, but he does not deserve criticism for this match.

Nick7

No im not thinking of VAR implementation. Dont put words in my mouth.

Accidental handball is something different and the exception where it doesnt get penalized applies only to attacking players. In that sense you could say theres a difference.

"An accidental handball by an attacking player or team-mate will only be penalised if it occurs immediately before a goal or a goalscoring opportunity.

If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand or arm and then scores a goal, or the ball goes to another attacking player and they immediately score, this is a handball offence.

But it is not a handball offence if after an accidental handball the ball travels some distance via a pass or a dribble, or there are several passes before the goal or goalscoring opportunity."

From the PL's site last season. All I know is I saw a segment on my Eredivisie subscription this season explaining how the rules had changed and a scenario exactly like the one today would not be disallowed. Van Basten, Gullit etc all thought it was dumb and I agreed.
None of that matters. The law says what it says, it’s an offence if the ball hits an arm or hand of a player making their body bigger. It’s right there in the rules. I’ve quoted it, I’ve linked it. Go read it.

NZT-One

Well we lost, but at least we will be tired against Burnley.
:D that was my first thought after 90 minutes...

We got the best of all worlds:
Use the best eleven, no resting players but not getting a win, nor confidence by a great performance.
Not using the chance to add one or two fringe players to maybe improve their form in a rather "easy" game in the cup while letting the best eleven run for 2 hours before the next match on Tuesday.

To be honest, it was a weird game, except for Ronaldo nobody stood out for me today in a negative way. All players were alright, even Ronaldo was alright although I don't understand, why he has to play for 120 minutes in a cup game. Overall I thought we didn't challenge them enough, not enough urgency, not enough pressure to force mistakes. Not using the chances is the cherry on the cake.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
None of that matters. The law says what it says, it’s an offence if the ball hits an arm or hand of a player making their body bigger. It’s right there in the rules. I’ve quoted it, I’ve linked it. Go read it.
The only reason I gave you that rule change was because it was the first hit on google. I expected your argument "my source is better than yours" but you're missing the point that you're quoting the wrong rules. There's separate rules and a definition for accidental handball so regular handball has got feck all to do with it because those different set of rules stipulate when handball would not be penalized. See how the definition of handball stop mattering at that point?

Its super late, I'll press Ctrl + F "ACCIDENTAL HANDBALL" in whatever document you linked and repost it tomorrow. Or you could spare yourself the trouble of looking silly. Good night.

Irwin99

Man Utd 1:0 Middlesbrough - Sancho (25')

Man Utd 1:1 Middlesbrough - Crooks (64')
So many points about that goal we conceded that annoy me. Not just the handball. The Rashford shot isn't on and he shouldn't be trying it, Dalot has made the overlap and has to get all the way back, Varane is miles up field so Shaw has to cover his position.

GL21

Felt a minority at the start of the season by thinking signing ronaldo was a disaster. Completely threw a spanner in the development of our promising attack. Greenwood should have been a prolific goalscorer we built the team around....although he managed to do a good job fecking that up himself now....that aside, rashford and Bruno have also regressed since his return. fecking plastic modern united all bought into the romantic return of Ronaldo.

lilcurt

So you're saying you know who picked the order of the penalty takers, and you know what was said and decided on the field by the players?
Outside the first 5 it was a case of "who fancies taking one". You can tell that by who followed. Stop making excuses for this squad of bottlers.

Redlyn

we played a good game. i'm gutted we lost but somehow not caring a lot. i mean even if we continue, can we really beat Liverpool , Chelsea or City to the cup? we would need a huge amount of luck to avoid them and if we happen to face one of them we most probably will lose. so it doesn't matter anyway
That's the spirit.

Superden

For the umpteenth time its the players lack of bottle that costs us. Not in a pashun sense, but a complete lack of composure. The second half of extra time summed it up, we were either zombie passing on the half way line or wanging in stupid crosses or taking silly potshots. Bruno performance a perfect example, was brilliant first 30mins and then started getting frustrated and trying stupid things, summed up by the lack of composure missing that open goal and then that last minute cross cum shot where he seemed just to panic and almost took our Phil head off. Youd imagine a KDB in that position wouldve shown a bit more patience and picked out a pass or cross rather than just going full tilt.

Wing Attack Plan R

Outside the first 5 it was a case of "who fancies taking one". You can tell that by who followed. Stop making excuses for this squad of bottlers.
Stop inventing shit you know nothing about. I am absolutely not absolving these bottlers of blame, but you saying one player deserves shame for something you don't have a clue about is ridiculous.

LDUred

In a lot of leagues around the world, that wouldn't even go to VAR. It would just be a handball and totally uncontested.

As bizarre as it may seem given Maradona's prominence, in Latin America, anything that touches your hand or arm is just illegal. Disallowing that goal would not have even been a talking point over there. There's no room for interpretation and it doesn't matter if you meant it or not. At lot of people around the world will not understand how that goal was given.

We're probably the most lenient place in the world for handballs and today it has hurt us, but it is very much in keeping with the English interpretation.

Guapa

Can't believe we waited two weeks for that sh*t show.

Nothings going to change with these lazy f*ucks we've got representing our club right now or the blood sucking leaches running the cash cow their flogging to death for their greedy ends.Boy do we need a take over.Some life long,mega rich genius businessman Man Utd supporter with a master plan to oust these greedy f*cks ruining our club.

Somebody,anybody Manchester United needs you.

Drifter

American
Should have been out of site in the first half, but end up going out on penalties. Feel for Elanga and hope it does not dent his confidence.

steffyr2

Ronaldo is poison to this team. He stops attacks, because he is not in position to score, his passes are sloppy, would never pass the ball in the box, cries everytime he does not receive the ball in the box and he is too wasteful. Not the player we need, not the leader this team needs
That poisonous 37 year old played 120 minutes tonight, while one of the other forwards was occupied meeting with his lawyers, another one is getting his head together and the 3rd is taking a few extra days off in Uruguay.

siw2007

Dumbfounded how we didn’t win tonight. The team performance overall wasn’t bad, in fact it was actually quite good, we dominated the game for long periods and created loads of chances. There must have been 8 or 9 golden chances, but it’s criminal to not take any of them and that’s how you get punished. I don’t know what happened with their goal, murmurs of handball, it really felt like the gods of football were against us tonight.

We need to bounce back against Burnley and we need to be more ruthless.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Middlesbrough
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Middlesbrough