PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 February 2018

James Peril

Not controlling the game, creating a few chances due to us having superior players in all positions, letting in a goal from terrible play by one individual, negative approach - we’ve seem this before and at 0-1 I guess everyone knew we were not winning that game. At 0-1, City, Barca, PSG, Liverpool will still feel there’s a long way to go. At no point did we control that game in midfield - we just battled with them and played opportunistic long balls.

It is very depressing that Pogba is yet again played in the wrong position, and it’s even more depressing that Sanchez looks like Ashley Young instead of himself on the pitch. This is clearly down to Mourinho, unfortunately.

At 0-1 we are panicky and letting them use all the tricks to get the ball out of play. They are looking for free-kicks, our players go into the challenge like stupid bulls.

DDG - 7 (world-class save in the first half)
Young - 6
Jones - 6
Smalling - 3 (ruined the game for us)
Valencia - 5 (should have been sent off)
Martial - 4 (let us down by missing sitters)
Pogba - 4 (Clearly sick or unfit, should not play)
Matic - 5 (Looks like he’s 37 - very slow and unable to control games. Extra point for a great ball to Martial in the first half)
Lingard - 4 (Completely invisible)
Sanchez - 5 (Active for five minutes in the second half - otherwise invisible. Missed a sitter)
Lukaku - 5 (Missed a good chance as usual, but more active than he usually is).

It’s easy to be negative after a loss, but a couple of things are obvious. Matic is incredibly slow and Pogba is poor defensively. When we fail to control games like these, we must immediately switch tactics. We miss a third midfielder and it’s ruining our whole approach.

When your subs consist of Mata, Carrick and McTominay, you are most likely not winning the football match. Sorry to say.

VainCape

Its all well and good when they get an early goal and the opposition can't play their way out. But when things aren't all smooth sail and the opposition puts up a fight, then they drop their heads and can't be arsed to fight back. Almost as if they all collectively down tools when they lose a few challenges or miss a chance. Like I am certain the result would've been very different if Pogba won a few of those early tackles with Diame or Shelvey, and Martial brought his shooting boots and buried the first half one-on-one. The game would've probably ended 2 or 3-0!

Son Of Sam

What a stupid statement.

You seriously think Newcastle were the BETTER side ? You know **** all about football if you think that.

We weren’t anywhere near our best and it was an indifferent performance but virtually every aspect of our game was superior to Newcastle. Their goal had a charmed life and they scored with one of the only shots I can remember them having.

Unbelievable to say they were better !
Heat of the moment comment....pardon him. He was obviously angry. United were the better team but being better doesn’t always mean 3 points. United were profligate with their chances.

It was always going to be one of those days the moment Martial(our best finisher) missed a 1 v 1 with their goalie. 9 out of 10 times, he buries that chance. It was just a bad day in the office generally.

yamo123x

What a disgraceful lazy rabble, a bunch of individuals with Not an ounce of fight.
How to beat man utd- "get in their faces close them.down and be physical they have no answer to that "

No control in.midfield, no one closing down any Newcastle players - long ball after long ball from the back ... A team of bottlers.

I'd love to be on that pitch giving everything showing passion that the shirt and our brilliant fans deserve.

There are no excuses for that performance.

Over and out !

hobbers

Pogba should have gone at half time or earlier.

Valencia and Mata for the last 30 minutes, painful to watch as always. Great if all you need to do is recycle possession and never offer an iota of threat.

Lingard was horrendous. Martial not great but quite unlucky. Lukaku and Alexis both did well but were ultimately let down by Lingard, Martial and Pogba.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rubbish stuff. We look so uncoordinated in attack sometimes. And it's because there's nothing tying it together. Martial has to play on the right because of Sanchez who didn't play well on the left. Lingard is a decent player and nothing more.

But most importantly, yet again our supposed talisman in misfield disappears against a team that closes down space.

AndyMUFC

Not acceptable to lose games like that. It was a poor performance but still had plenty of chances to get the first goal and we struggle when we don't get that 9 times out of 10.

minoo-utd

5 points off fifth if Chelsea won. It will be a fecking disaster if we lose on top 4. Feck another top four fight.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
He pretty much didn't make a single bad move in the build-up.

Oh yes, did remember now that he missed the ball in the first half provided by Alexis. Still, was our best player today.
About his only feck up and to be fair to him the move came about after an excellent cross field pass from himself. Martials movement in that opportunity was risible, hanging around at the corner of the 18 yard box opposite the crosser

Coxy

Awful. Their first win at home since October and it's against us?

Martial should be on the left to give us better balance.
Shaw should be playing
Pogba shouldn't be being played in a midfield 2. Although it beggars belief that he can't do that

LoneStar

Terrible performance throughout,both from the the team and the manager. Except Sanchez, no one had the desire to win the game. Pogba was strutting around lazily (fair play if he was injured though, that's on Jose). Smalling was terrible. Lingard looks like his usual self again.

The most idiotic decisions however go to Mourinho. It has been clear that Pogba doesn't work well in a midfield 2, why the hell does he persist with that shit formation, idk. Secondly, did we bring Sanchez to replace Martial? Play Martial on the left and Sanchez behind the striker. After getting Sanchez, there is no excuse left for Jose. We should be able to beat the likes of Newcastle easily.

tony54

Whens Bailly back?

I’d quite like to see us give the Bailly Rojo partnership that saw us through the end of last season another go.

Won’t change much from an attacking perspective but could us build from the back a bit better.
Me too, both these players can play football and carry the ball out. They were the main reason we finished so well last season.

Coxy

Worst performance from a man utd team ever,, both manager and too many players at fault.
Pogba doesn't seem to have the correct mentality to be a top footballer, and too much mediocrity within the team.
The midfield should have been strengthened many summers ago and we missed an opportunity this January as well. Mourino has got to play a three man midfield, with two decent defenders, Linguard is not a midfielder and Carrack has been past his best for a few years now.
Of course he has the mentality - he managed it at Juventus.

Booda

Perhaps Pogba is a bit miffed at the Alexis signing, not sure what he is like as a person or if hes ego is that big, but would it suprise anyone ?

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
At least there is no Mkhitaryan to blame anymore. :yawn:

And Blind didn't play, so guess United fans on here must find a new scapegoat. :D

Verminator

Pogba played in a 3 at Juve for obvious reasons.

Sanchez has played very successfully for Arsenal on the right side.

All top teams need defenders comfortable on the ball amd supported by midfield.

Jose is worrying me big time. Have him and his coaches gone full contrarian nutty on us.
If one of the world's best forwards can only play on the left, and the world's most expensive midfielder can only play in a 3, maybe we need to try 433 with Lingard as a false 9, Sanchez left and Lukaku right.
Still leave's us with wingers as fullbacks, and Ren and Stimpy in defence.
My God, we've wasted mucho dinero.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Newcastle are an awful side and United just lost to them. But they played with determination and fight. Let’s hope they do the same against our rivals when they play them.

marlowe78

Shameful performance by everyone - manager, coaches, and players. Everyone should hang their heads but they won't. This is United, you put in shit performances like this and still get paid. A lot of the time, you even get your contract extended.

Never, ever felt that we were going to win that. Newcastle were quite good, just on energy level. Another game where we're outworked and lack the desire to get 3 points. We should have been trailing after Smalling's marvelous foul, that was a gift and we still couldn't do anything after it.

Another disgusting performance from Pogba. We're seeing the fruits of paying ridiculous money for a player who already flashed his two fingers at us and walked out of the club. Even though I didn't want him when we took him back, I hoped he would do well for us. Don't care if he's sold the first day of the summer window, feck him already. I agree that he needs to be in a 3-man midfield but that doesn't excuse him lacking discipline and application on the pitch.

Sanchez was another great signing. Has completely upset the balance of our attack. We fielded the same lineup as against Spurs with Martial out of position before he finally switched. Lingard should be put on the bench and Herrera (who somehow can't get a game) replace him in the MF. This reminds me too much of when we were trying to accommodate Rooney, RVP, and Falcao when LVG was managing us. We never learn...

I'll save space on Smalling and Jones. Laurel and Hardy. Enough of these two.

Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, at times Martial, barnacles like Smalling and Jones...To quote Roy Scheider's line in 52 Pick-Up, 'There's something about your face that makes me want to slap the shit out of it.'

And Jose out. Crap against top sides, crap against bottom ones. Maybe once in his life he'll win at that ground...

...the tosser.

Icemav

If one of the world's best forwards can only play on the left, and the world's most expensive midfielder can only play in a 3, maybe we need to try 433 with Lingard as a false 9, Sanchez left and Lukaku right.
Still leave's us with wingers as fullbacks, and Ren and Stimpy in defence.
My God, we've wasted mucho dinero.
Or how about we put Sanchez on the right, Martial/Rashford on the left, and play Pog in a 3?

Deawin

Move on until the next one of 'those days' in a matter of days?
You make it sound like were on beaten streak and all is shit. We have lost five games this season.
You dont get to win them all, even if you are the better team.
People need to chill. And Pogba needs play at his word class level consistently. Thats all i want.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can’t believe we just lost to them. They haven’t won at home in 4 months. We are desperately shit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Or how about we put Sanchez on the right, Martial/Rashford on the left, and play Pog in a 3?
Too much sense, that.

But I still think pogba had to do better. Lingard is an attacking midfielder rather than an attacker.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You make it sound like were on beaten streak and all is shit. We have lost five games this season.
You dont get to win them all, even if you are the better team.
People need to chill. And Pogba needs play at his word class level consistently. Thats all i want.
Well I hope we are up for it from the start at the weekend, because if we play like today and Huddersfield play like they did today, we are out of the cup.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Has it been like this for a while? Not sure we did a lot of running with LvG. He wanted them to keep the ball, make the ball do the work. That is fine, but you need players who can actually keep the ball to do it.
Yeah, I remember reading this a few years ago I think it was.

I do wonder why though. IF they're not fit enough then that's a disgrace. I do know we're not a high pressing team but not all teams are.

redmanx

That was the worst performance I’ve seen this season and that is saying a lot. I don’t know about y’all but when I see Pogba in a 2 like that I have very little hope of getting a result, even against a team like Newcastle.
It was one of the worst Ive seen in 50 years! Our players cant be brilliant every minute of every game and we shouldn't expect them to be, but we have every right to expect them to fight, every minute over every blade of grass; today there was no fight, passion or desire to compete, and that is NOT the hallmark of a Manchester United team.

Son Of Sam

We had plenty of chances to win it.
Their GK had a typical "Against Man United world class," performance.
Newcastle battled.
Poor mistake from Matic and Pogba for the free kick; watch it and they both freeze.
Lukaku played better
Over reaction. We move on.

A team of 6-footers, it’s a travesty that we concede from set pieces. Our players don’t just seem to have an aggressive battering ram that goes after the first ball. I dunno what Jose’s coaching crew do in training.

That performance was abysmal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I keep reading the Phil Jones comments I posted earlier. Why were they sluggish from the start? Did they think this was going to be a doddle? Then realised Newcastle were up for the fight and we don't fancy a fight?

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 458 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Newcastle 0:3 Man Utd