PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 October 2018

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Last 20 minutes showed me that it’s all Jose’s fault, those players aren’t rubbish, they haven’t downed tools, it’s just Jose’s rubbish decisions and tactics. Took the reigns off and we saw what the guys could do when there are bodies forward and they are allowed to play and work together with options.

Pogba gets a lot of stick and people saying he has quit playing or doesn’t care about United, didn’t look like it today and neither did it look like it for Martial. Both looked like they wanted and looked the most likely to create something the whole game.

Gives me hope that if a manager comes in now there is certainly the tools there to do something so the rest of the season isn’t a total loss.
Absolutely.

Eriku

Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes on BT Sport: "I can't see him [Mourinho] going now, it was a completely different team. They all wanted it, they all wanted to score and get the win.

"He made the right substitutions but his passion on the touchline must have transferred onto the team, he was right up and down the dugout."
Holy shit... hell of a 180 from Scholesy, there.

redIndianDevil

So the best players today were the ones being constantly benched or criticized by Mourinho.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So weird how people aren’t prepared to accept criticism or questions all of a sudden. By all means enjoy the win but some people will justifiably still have issues and aren’t going to forget them because of one comeback that shouldn’t even be needed.

People need to calm down - wow we beat relegation fodder Newcastle at home for fecks sake! and only because Jose had no choice but to attack after going 2 goals down . Next matches he will revert to defensive type and we'll get done over. All today did was proove how his tactics are holding the teams potential back - some people in here blow with the wind - he needs to go asap.
Exactly - playing matic and McTominay was just cowardly

King Kunta

The aftermath will be all about Jose and his changes, and the players fighting for him. It shouldn't be.

This game shows what this squad is capable of when not shackled by his tactics or team selections. That's what it should be about.

Get an attacking manager in and that can be the norm. Jose out.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Right now I give a feck about all the discussions. That was a great football game and brought me as a Manchester United supporter nice emotions.
Our second goal has been especially impressive.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Weird feelings after that. Normally a 90th minute winner would have me going wild, but it just felt like relief after such a dogshit first half. Comeback or not, 2-2 is an awful result against a team that poor. I can't remember a worse 45 minutes than that 1st half. The shunting around of McTominay just felt like an obtuse way to make some sort of point to the board, whist making examples of players he brought in.

That 2nd half showed that the players still seem to give a shit. It also, frustratingly, shows that this team is capable of playing good football, yet we don't see it often enough. I don't undertand why

We beat a team at home who haven't won a game all season, and one of the 3 worst teams in the league, by a distance. There is still huge and possibly insurmountable problems under the current leadership. I still think he needs to go, but I hope this win can set us up to go on a run going in to these big games, and I hope that instilled a bit of confidence in some of the players who really needed it.

Regalia

Amazing. Felt like Manchester United again. This is what Mourinho can do if the players actually gave a fek. Which they did 100% in the second half. Not sure what happened in the dressing room but I've literally not seen us play like that for years. We have so many pathetic fans here who are so upset our team won. Don't let your hatred for one man get in the way of supporting the club.

Jacob

My sympathy for Mourinho increased today. Changes higher up are more urgent.

Genuinely curious who does what between Mou and Ed.

UncleBob

Bit of a bobbins interview with Mourinho, the comments about Rashford and McTominay was needless

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If Jose let's the players out of that straight jacket, this is sort of play you can get like that 2nd half. Let us attack!

Pogba, Shaw, Martial, Mata so good today.
Mata should always be taking the free kicks for us.

Lukaku needs a spell on the bench.

Happy with the 3 points.

freeurmind

weak willed
Can't we just be happy we won? Great comeback. Pogba immense, Mata fantastic. Great effort shown by the players in the second half. That sortof hybrid 4-4-2 is an interesting formation, especially for at home against weaker sides.

simmee

Absolutely dreadful first half, thoroughly enjoyable second half.

This sums up Mourinho. Pick the wrong mix of players to start, wait until we go down before we start playing - second half the players seem to say to themselves, sod Mourinho's tactics , let's play attacking football.

Now if we attacked from the beginning, play faster football, pressure the opposition and our players regained their confidence plus being proactive we would actually be a good team. Instead we always have to be reactive and that is why Mourinho has to go this international break.

Pogba good throughout, Mata and Martial very good second half.

McTominay, Young, Bailly and Matic were terrible in the first half and Rashford can't head the ball .
It's cute that you believe that the players decided to ignore Mourinho's tactics and nothing about this comeback was down to him.

Werd.

Jose sounds like he is leaving. Very withdrawn.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Can't we just be happy we won? Great comeback. Pogba immense, Mata fantastic. Great effort shown by the players in the second half. That sortof hybrid 4-4-2 is an interesting formation, especially for at home against weaker sides.
You can. If people have questions or feel otherwise they can to. It doesn’t have to be all one way

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What is Jose talking about?:confused:

Anyway, now people can see our players can play. They just need the manager to believe in them and give them a proper system.

Camilo

Enjoyed the 2nd half, but jesus we make it difficult on ourselves. The first half was unforgivable, and pretty much any other team in the league wouldn't have let us off the hook 2nd half.

All the talk blaming Woodward - I just can't see it. What, a man in a suit is to blame for us getting battered for 45 minutes against fecking Newcastle? Yeah, no. Bollocks. It's easy to blame someone behind the scenes, makes it more comfortable.

Ibrahimorich

Honestly. Did he have to single out McTomminay and Rashford as scared is his post match interview? Why introduce a negative to this?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Last 20 minutes showed me that it’s all Jose’s fault, those players aren’t rubbish, they haven’t downed tools, it’s just Jose’s rubbish decisions and tactics. Took the reigns off and we saw what the guys could do when there are bodies forward and they are allowed to play and work together with options.

Pogba gets a lot of stick and people saying he has quit playing or doesn’t care about United, didn’t look like it today and neither did it look like it for Martial. Both looked like they wanted and looked the most likely to create something the whole game.

Gives me hope that if a manager comes in now there is certainly the tools there to do something so the rest of the season isn’t a total loss.
100% agreed. Keano (and others) can do one when criticizing our players mentality.

Roboc7

Delighted with the win and last 20 mins but for 70 mins we were abysmal, so much so that I think Mourinho would have been sacked, that free kick from Mata changed the game and saved his job.

lysglimt

Scout
Happy for the win - and Mourinho came across as sympathetic in the match-interview after the game. If we could only play like this once in a while - I wouldn't be so negative towards Mourinho.

Stubble

Lol got to laugh at people saying this result will change Jose into our new attacking manager after 3 years of the same shi*te tactics from him. Are people blind or daft -nothing will change he'll revert to defensive type against Chelsea and everyone will be back to Jose out again.

Reactions: SteveJ

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 63% of 731 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 481 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win