PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 October 2018

Bocca9978

That’s the lowest player scores I’ve ever given for a win.
I’m sorry but I have know idea how we won that. We sure as hell didn’t deserve.

Masks the crap for the next game.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Season changer eh? We did this sort of "great comeback" against City last season. Then back to playing Mou style in FA Cup Final.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Did you hear the fans today, the people in the stadium? They and their passion and support aren’t cutting it in the jaded cynical Football Manager stakes, are they? No, the fools. They are just enjoying the game and supporting the team.

thegaffa

Supports
Chelsea
Unnecessary comments from Mourinho, unfair on Rashford and Mctominay.

He wasn’t too happy about comments regarding players for the manager/press man hunting for him.

Jojo <3 Mou

Yea...
Happy to win.

So we are in bad form' but for some reason, I expected this to be a bit easier. To start, I didn't like the lineup but thought that it was good enough. I think that Mourinho is almost shuffling his deck to find a winning combination to start in addition to those he trusts.

Still, in the first half, I wondered how these men who didn't know how to play football were playing for Manchester United.
In the second half, I saw them fight and scrap for a win. It wasn't always pretty, they still made mistakes but they fought. A better team that Newcastle would have killed us. But, you play the team before you and they had scored 2 against us in the first half.

I won't say that fight is all I want from a player but it is the minimum that I hope to see from any of them. I hope that they are able to build on this.

the_irish123

You guys can't be serious. We barely beat the worst team in the league (imo) at the last second at home, and we made them look good actually. I'm disappointed 99% of posts are not 'mourinho out'.

Wayne's World

Have to say I know Pogba, Martial and the likes will get most of the good reviews but Juan Mata won us that game today. He never stopped looking for the ball and connected the midfield to the attack perfectly with quick passing and excellent vision

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Spirited performance. The desire from the players was fantastic. Why can't we play like that from the off is beyond me.
Reckon they were nervous in the first half. However, when they have nothing to lose and the crowd are urging them on, then they just played instinctively.

Canuckred64

Great second half comeback, the team played the type of football most of us has been calling out for since Fergie retired.

But what did the second half really prove? Other then the team can play better than they have played under Mourinho. I still don't know if they played like that for Mourinho, the Club or themselves, or some combination or all three?

This seems like some army's heroic last stand. Unless they can play like this on a consistent basis, it's a case of too little too late.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
People need to calm down - wow we beat relegation fodder Newcastle at home for fecks sake!
After so much negativity during the week.
Jose out, players have downed tools, Woodward should be sacked....let us have our few minutes of positivity.
Some of you are so miserable.

I enjoyed that match, thoroughly and I have to say that the team put on a great show. Our defenders were terrible in the 1st half, but in the 2nd half, the team decided enough is enough.
I'm not sure what was said at half time, but the players, the intensity, the atmosphere was fantastic. The crowd were amazing - they backed the team all the way.

Bocca9978

You guys can't be serious. We barely beat the worst team in the league (imo) at the last second at home, and we made them look good actually. I'm disappointed 99% of posts are not 'mourinho out'.
Have to agree.

Jazz

Have to say I know Pogba, Martial and the likes will get most of the good reviews but Juan Mata won us that game today. He never stopped looking for the ball and connected the midfield to the attack perfectly with quick passing and excellent vision
Yeah Juan was great. A lovely player but Christ knows we've misused him at this club.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Look at how talented the players are and what they can do when they have the freedom to attack. Next week the shackles will be back on in fear of losing again. This is why we need an attacking manager.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Don't get it. Easy substitution was to take Mctominay off and leave Bailly in. He must have pictures of Jose naked or something.
Bailly was absolutely attrocious for the period he was on. He was the reason, along with Young, we conceded both goals. His head was gone and needed to be taken off else we probably would have conceded more. McTominay was rightfully taken off as well later on.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What’s he saying? I I’m a pub overseas and no interview on TV.
Sorry to quote you twice but The Guardian just posted some excerpts.

This is some post-match interview from Jose Mourinho

“It wasn’t the substitutions that won the game – it was the desire, mentality and commitment. This is not about me, this is not about the players, this is about the club, and in the second half the players gave absolutely everytthing. Nothing more to give.

“I am 55 years old, I am mature, I can cope with it and live with being hunted. I think some of the boys are not coping well with it. The way they started the game was panicking (sic). I thought at some moments we could score in our own-goal. It’s not easy for them.

“For me it’s not easy too but I think life is made of experiences and some are new and some are déjà vu. This is new but I think it makes me a better manager and a better person because I understand things in human nature… the industry I work in is different, a lot of wickedness, too much wickedness in something that should be beautiful. I cope with it, with some sadness, but I’m a big boy. Clearly some of the boys – Marcus Rashford was sad on the pitch, Scott McTominay was scared on the pitch. All the players, they commit mistakes that are not normal. I think at half-time we had a good conversation. We didn’t promise to each other that we were going to win the match, but we promised we were going to give absolutely anything – without any fear, without any pressure. Just give everything, and they did. I don’t want to say we were lucky because we fought so much for that. Even if we don’t score the last goal, the feeling would be positive. Nobody can promise to win matches but a professional should promise to give everything.

“It’s ridiculous talk [that the players aren’t playing for him] – they don’t play for the manager, they play for the club. It’s not about that. What I asked the players is to give absolutely everything. We had little tactical touches of course, we risked a lot, we were trying to find the best way to play. In the end we won the match and I think we deserved to win. I think the fans deserved to win. At 2-0 at half-time, with all the dynamic of the man-hunting, I think they behaved amazingly well for the team. This is what a football club is.

“As a friend of mine was saying to me this morning, If it rains in London tomorrow, it’s my fault. Brexit, it’s my fault, and I have to be ready for this. There is a lot of wickedness and a clear man-hunting. It’s my life, it’s the life I love, it’s the life I worked with since I was a kid, and I will love it until my last day.”

Wickedness :houllier:
Wicked.

Ekeke

First goal - Matic flings out a half hearted foot and allows the pass to bypass him. Bailly comes forward and doesnt track his man for some reason, captain Young lets a fully left footed player onto his stronger foot for a shot on goal. Someone is bound to mention Smalling again. He's where he needs to be to cover his man on the outside. Similar to the West Ham game his teammates arent keeping their end of the bargain.

Second goal - Ball crossed in, Bailly tries to win it and doesnt make it. Young gives his man the freedom of Manchester to turn and shoot. Not good enough. Our captain...

Our First - Good freekick from Mata. Not much more to be said

Our Second - Martial took his chance

Our Third - Six of our players in the box for the cross, we overloaded and Sanchez took the chance

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Did you hear the fans today, the people in the stadium? They and their passion and support aren’t cutting it in the jaded cynical Football Manager stakes, are they? No, the fools. They are just enjoying the game and supporting the team.
What are you taking about? I wasn't in the stadium but still enjoyed the win massively.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No, I don't think anyone is taking for granted what Mata has done. He was the spark for this charge from the players.

Some people are easily impressed

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only saw the last 20 minutes (perfect timing by the sounds of things!) and agree Mata was fantastic. Takes such good care of the ball. Unlike most of his team mates this season.

The Real Treble 99

Surprise surprise so when the players of Manchester United turn up we play good football & play like we give a crap. Did Jose stop them playing? Did he *. Awful 1st half but what a fantastic 2nd! Haven’t fell that happy in a long time regarding Utd. Matic, Rashford McT were really bad today. Some were still below par but it weren’t for the unsong heroe Juan Mata (best footy brain in the team) to start up the comeback then we’d still be with our faces down. Do I still want Jose to go, I say yes because these lot will play or should play much better under another manager because some of them 1st half looked to be playing to get Jose sacked. Fantastic result for the fans more than anything & least this gives us hope that we could actually turn our season around from the misery we’ve been enduring so far.

Jazz

Great second half comeback, the team played the type of football most of us has been calling out for since Fergie retired.

But what did the second half really prove? Other then the team can play better than they have played under Mourinho. I still don't know if they played like that for Mourinho, the Club or themselves, or some combination or call three?

This seems like some army's heroic last stand. Unless they can play like this on a consistent basis, it's a case of too little too late.
Think they played for themselves and the fans to be honest. Don't think Mourinho came into it that much for the majority.
Still want him gone, but I'm fecking happy with the 2nd half performance and the result. How can anyone not be?

Jazz

Look at how talented the players are and what they can do when they have the freedom to attack. Next week the shackles will be back on in fear of losing again. This is why we need an attacking manager.
Exactly! Just give them the right environment and they will perform!

MuranoLover

please don't let this save his job.

players have shown a pulse, hopefully next manager can take them forward.

happy for the win. Pogba was immense.
They showed a pulse , because they wanted to do it and one of the reasons was him . They knew that if they wanted , they could leave it like this and spit on his job , but also the club and their names . Hope everyone grows in his mind from today and start acting like a team . We do not need another manager , we need this one with the players to click .

hobbers

The result doesn't change my overall opinion. Mourinho has to go at some point this season, and he can take half the squad with him for all I care.

Young tonight: one good cross but absolutely pathetic for every other second of that 90 minutes. Bailly and Smalling failing to justify their place in this league let alone this team. Matic and Lukaku the worst on-field generals any manager could ever wish for.

It's good to see that Pogba and Martial especially are at least capable of playing like that, if by some miracle they're both still here when we have a new manager. It's also good to see Sanchez is actually capable of touching something and it not turning to shit, even if it's only once every 12 matches. And hopefully this is the last we'll see of the "McTominay is a great player and has all the qualities to play CB" nonsense.

TommiHelm

Loved that 2nd half. Don't believe for a second it'll turn out the same, but the situation is a bit reminiscent of 7th Jan 1990. :angel:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Maybe Mourinho will finally realise that we should just stick with Martial on the left. He'll have bad games but he'll also build form, fitness and confidence. Play Sanchez somewhere else if you must but ffs take a gamble on Martial, the lad can play.

EwanI Ted

Where the hell do you start with that? Can’t ignore the utterly abject first hour or so, with some players putting in some of the worst performances in a united shirt since the Moyes era. Could have been four down when Mata scored.

Also can’t ignore the passion and energy the players showed at the end, genuinely looked like they wanted it. Commitment and no small amount of talent.

JohnnyKills

It's great to see United playing like that, but surely if there are cracks in the structure, we don't want them papered over.

I'm still as anti-Mou as ever, and one win against a relegation-bound team isn't changing that.

As an aside, great for Martial. Would be nice if Mourinho singled him out for praise.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 63% of 731 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 481 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw