PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 October 2018

LoneStar

Jeez we just had an epic comeback and 2 mins later the moaners are out in full force. Atleast celebrate the win for some time, and then criticise.

I swear some people here hate Jose more than they love the club.

If this is his last match in charge, he bowed out in some fashion.

smudgegezer

i could not care less about winning trophies, I have seen us win enough to last a lifetime and will take an age for other teams to match our history. I want to see us play like we did in the second half week in week out entertaining and shown a bit of class, i want to sit down and enjoy our style of play. well done lads well done jose more of the same please what a game.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Has to go. What an embarrassing shambles that was. This season is a write off already. The entire atmosphere is toxic. Imagine cheering this chaotic win when we have Chelsea, Juve and City coming up. People are going to be hat
baying for blood soon enough.
The team has no defensive organisation, and only look decent once they throw Mourinho’s tactics to the wind.
They'll be baying for Ed Woodward's blood, which although not unreasonable, just isn't going to happen.

Bola

Awful 60mins to endure. Lack of defending, panicky play and clueless in attack.

The Mata free-kick gave us a huge shot in the arm, it was a completly different team; full of desire, attacking intent and fluid play. Makes me want to see the next game immediately like a box set - I've not said that since the Watford game.

Some big decisions for Jose going forward though:
- Bailley and Smalling does not work, both from a defensive positioning sense, but also the lack of passing output. Bailley was again poor.
- Matic has been a huge under-performer this season, but looked ok in defence tonight. I'd be tempted to try him with Smalling going forward, then give Perriera and Fred a chance in midfield
- Lukkaku is hugely off form and deserves to be dropped. While Rashford was poor with his finishing tonight. I'd be tempted to go with a fluid Sanchez, Martial and Rashford.
- Young was awful tonight. Better than Valencia going forward, but poor defensively. Time to put Dalot in at the deep end

T_Model101

Clearly McTominay never ever needs to play in defence ever again.
If there's anyone with any forward planning at this club then they need to be finalising contract details with Alderweireld's agent after that and readying a January offer in the hope of bringing the move forward 6 months
I'd go for Maguire too, he's a force in the air and can bring the ball out of defence, something no one at this club can currently do

gr3yham3

Jose is mainly responsible for many of our poor results this season - what with the weird player selections and moaning, but I don't understand how people can still think that he did not do a great job today. I don't see how it was his fault that Young, Matic and Bailly were all sleeping on the Newcastle goals. That had nothing to do with tactics but with their own levels of alertness and ability. I don't see how it was also his fault that Matic and Rashford missed sitters before Mata scored.

To get a comeback win, with a group of players who played piss-poorly in the first half, and reportedly did not want to play for him, is a big statement I feel. His substitutions were also spot on - Mata and Sanchez scored, while he kept Martial on instead of Rashford as well. That and the formation shifts with Pogba playing as a CB/AM hybrid were what he could do. The rest was up to the players, and they really did respond in that second half. Let's hope this game encapsulates our season in a nutshell - looking dead and buried, but showing the grit to say we aren't going down so easily just yet.

saivet

Jenas is right. Play like this against any other team apart from maybe Cardiff or Hudersfield and we lose this. A nice comeback, but it doesn't feel like something sustainable to build off. Even in the 2nd half where we played really well Newcastle had a fair few chances.

ken11

Good comeback. Should be expected against a side near the bottom. Good fun football in 2nd half. Once in a blue moon kind. Which is why Jose still needs to go. Bet he told the players to figure out their own tactics and play how they want.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How can anyone not be happy right now? Everyone stepped up in that second half.

Mourinho was mocked for using midfielders at the back to help our build up, but Pogba played the role perfectly and it helped us take control of the game.

The players could have gone into their shells but they didn’t. That’s something very pleasing to see. In the second half they really played for the shirt and got their reward.

GM K

Honestly. Did he have to single out McTomminay and Rashford as scared is his post match interview? Why introduce a negative to this?
You got that wrong. You missed the context. It was actually a fantastic interview in my opinion.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Oh drat I replied to wrong post. Apologies. And good on ya. It’s feckin painful in here. Again sorry bout that
No worries, man. Tomorrow has their own problems. We're all now just enjoy this fecking massive win.

Irrational.

We went life and death with the second worst team in the league, and they scored twice in the process. We scraped past Leicester and likewise with Watford. Our only convincing wins have come against Burnley and Young Boys.

Much improved performance in the second half, and an inspirational change in attitudes but Jose still has to go. You just know we'll revert to type at the first opportunity.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
1-2

Blah. Worst part of this is more Mourinho.
2-2

Turned it off. This comeback just prolongs the entire toxic Mourinho regime. fecking hate the state of this club. Next week we’ll put in another disgusting performance and the brave 30 minutes against Newcastle - second from bottom Newcastle - will be forgotten.
3-2

Has to go. What an embarrassing shambles that was. This season is a write off already. The entire atmosphere is toxic. Imagine cheering this chaotic win when we have Chelsea, Juve and City coming up. People are going to be hat
baying for blood soon enough. The team has no defensive organisation, and only look decent once they throw Mourinho’s tactics to the wind.
That we have fans like this among us makes me so very sad. Support the club. Celebrate a goal. feck the rest of the bullshit or you'll never enjoy football again.

spiriticon

Jenas is right. Play like this against any other team apart from maybe Cardiff or Hudersfield and we lose this. A nice comeback, but it doesn't feel like something sustainable to build off. Even in the 2nd half where we played really well Newcastle had a fair few chances.
It's not like the defensive football has been winning us plenty of games...

I'd rather lose playing like this than lose by the way we've been playing this season.

saivet

It's not like the defensive football has been winning us plenty of games...

I'd rather lose playing like this than lose by the way we've been playing this season.
I would too, but we won't.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Jeez we just had an epic comeback and 2 mins later the moaners are out in full force. Atleast celebrate the win for some time, and then criticise.

I swear some people here hate Jose more than they love the club.

If this is his last match in charge, he bowed out in some fashion.
I think most of them are
• Pool supporters
• Have never been to a match and twiddle football is their virtual reality buzz
• attention seeking wums

ken11

Any of you lot who want to back Jose after this one half against a near bottom side at home have really really low expectations. You are delusional.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We need to find balance between attacking coherently and defending like a unit. Not easy to do but I still believe we have the players for it.

JoaquinJoaquin

Actually really felt for Mourinho today. Wanted a victory for him regardless of all the drama that has been going on.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So now we see how they can play it’ll frustrate us even more when we go back to the defensive bollocks

Oh and Sanchez has to play down the middle to get anything out of him now

Negan

Mourinho's tactics were the reason we were playing so badly in the first half.
And he changed it in the second half. Put Pogba at CB which turned out to be a masterclass.

Give him credit when it’s due. He changed it and we won because of it. Mata’s Free Kick inspired that comeback.

Stacks

This comeback made me think they will play for him and they do care and haven't simply given up. It's just not much of his gameplans or tactics work nowadays. When Mata came on the interchanges between him, Martial and Pogba gave me hope that you could get a footballing side out of these. Obviously we need a better baller than Matic and we cannot forget that Newc are very weak

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
1-2

2-2

3-2

That we have fans like this among us makes me so very sad. Support the club. Celebrate a goal. feck the rest of the bullshit or you'll never enjoy football again.
It’s the Caf. Sad. Wonder if one put the all on ignore how many would be on here?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm just happy we won. Smiling looking at the result.
Same here, man.
At 2-0, I was thinking that I was going to have another miserable weekend, but now I am satisfied and elated that we showed the strength of character to score those 3 goals.

BTW, not enough is being talked about the crowd and atmosphere - they were incredible today and the players definitely fed off of that.
We see a lot of other teams have a "twelfth man" at home games and today, we definitely had an extra player on the pitch.

Ban

Any of you lot who want to back Jose after this one half against a near bottom side at home have really really low expectations. You are delusional.
I want to celebrate a fekin United win ffs.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Good win and terrific comeback, but i cannot but help feel this is only delaying the inevitable.

SirMattlives

If Jose is the be sacked, and I hope not, that was a hell of a way to go out. Man, that put such a smile on my weekend. Would love to know what was said at half-time really. His post-match interview was hilarious.....and now I know who to blame for Brexit ---bonus!

Canagel

Those last 20 minutes were unreal, i swear i saw 5, maybe even 6 players in their box, at the same time!

It's weird, almost like it's easier to score if you actually try to...

Jose deserves credit for that comeback, but he must also take blame for that first half.
they were queing up for the winning goal. Why do we not commit players forward like this from the beginning of the match?

Festive Sandvich

Got there in the end in some style, but a little bit worrying that we looked twice the team once playing with no discernible structure to the play. Almost like no tactics are better than our usual tactics.

walkinhop

You guys can't be serious. We barely beat the worst team in the league (imo) at the last second at home, and we made them look good actually. I'm disappointed 99% of posts are not 'mourinho out'.
Haven't posted here for a while but here we go. The reason is probably two-fold.
One, we haven't had any reason to jump from our chairs in a long long time. Of course a fan's heart will be beating faster after an ending like today's.
Two, i've said it when it wasn't cool but the problem seems to go deeper than the manager and the players. There will be no second Sir Alex Ferguson and continuity needs to be ensured by restructuring the club from the very top.

MrBest

1-2

2-2

3-2

That's the purpose of this forum right? Opinion of the fans. Bit unfair and unclassy to seek someone out like that. Every fan has there own emotions on what has gone on in the last 5 years. Some have literally given up because the club has become so rotten which is probably led by bad decisions. I prefer fans who have an honest opinion regardless of whether I agree with it rather than those who seek out there comments and try to turn it into a laughing stock by promoting it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Amazing how things change when you have defender who is good on the ball. When Matic was on central defender things looked better. But Ed know that we don't need ball playing defender

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 63% of 731 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 481 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw