PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 October 2019

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Plays Rashford, Mata and Fred after the last match. Doesn't sub off Fred for the second game running. Breaks up the working CB pairing with the Rojo sub. Continues to play James away from the LW position where he has been the most lethal. Etc.. Ole's selections and in-game management is making it harder to not give up on him.

We still end up on the negative side of the margins. Maguire should have scored and so should Young.

hobbers

Can anyone update on what Neville and co are saying about Ole/board and sackings?

OohAahMartial

The positive to take from this game is if we get relegated we might be able to get rid of Woodward and maybe even the Glazers, and clear the deadwood out. The club looks like it needs to die to drive the parasites out before it can be reborn.

I don't believe changing manager will change much at all, it hasn't the last 4 times, and may well just make relegation inevitable. There is no knight in shining armour riding in on a white horse to save this club--that was Ole and even he got hobbled by Woodward in his 1st transfer window.

rpitchfo

Ed Woodward has overseen a team who were champions go through 900 million, 4 managers and end up in the relegation places next week. How can he keep his job?

Alabaster Codify7

I'm not angry, I'm not humiliated, I'm not sad.

I'm bored and nothing more. These results are no longer a surprise, you only need to look at the score predictions here to see the worm turning - vast majority expect us to drop points in every single game nowadays. Reality has hit home and it's frightening.

We have been left with a scarily shit squad of players who are being given terrible coaching by Ole and his team, nothing more to say.

If he isn't gone in the morning, losing 0-4 or 0-5 at home to the Scum might be the final nail in this bizarre experiment's coffin.

This experiment shows you what happens when you take a squad of lower-midtable players and have them managed by a bottom-tier manager (maybe even Championship calibre manager). This is the result. Nobody with a brain is surprised, the writing was on the wall since the summer.

Ole out.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Enjoy City losing? you do realise with each slip up by Man City is handing the title to Liverpool. Liverpool to have the league wrapped months before the end of this season and United fighting relegation. I can't think of a worse nightmare season for United supporters than that?
Correct on all points.

Before the Summer transfer window, I predicted Ole will get fired in 2019. My estimate was December and I still think we are on course for that to happen.
I don't think we will get worse....we'll just stay the same and may break into the top 10, however, that won't be good enough to prevent Ole getting the sack in December.

Here's the table as it stands now -
At this moment in time, we are 2 points above the relegation zone - this is a relegation fight.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
agree with souness about martial: "depends what side of bed he gets out of whether he plays well or not, there's a player in there but he hides it very well"!

Ixion

Another couple of weeks of cliched work hard comments to look forward to.

Sack the lot of them and give their places to the Bury players.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
We have to give him time, be patient and stand by the manager. I've never seen us playing in the Championship before.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pathetic really. Never looked like creating a chance let alone scoring. Feel bad for some of them, some blatantly aren't good enough but the lack of anything from management is appaling.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
agree with souness about martial: "depends what side of bed he gets out of whether he plays well or not, there's a player in there but he hides it very well"!
I'm guessing Pogba didn't play today? Otherwise why would Souness talk about anyone else.

kiristao

I understand that we are missing Pogba and Martial along with AVB and Shaw who all are first choice but we drew with Wolves, Lost to Palace and Drew with Southampton with all of them playing so missing players isn't and excuse.
Also, we have a squad of too many "softies" who are not willing to go to war if the fancy stuff is not working. I would never bet money on Mata, Periera, Fred, Matic or Lingard to win the ball in a 50-50 challenge. If you don't have the ability, you need to make it up with heart. We seemed to be lacking both.
We have a squad with decent ability but poor grit, determination and most importantly effort.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
finally: redknapp saying what I've been saying. we are doing exactly what liverpool did from 1991 onwards and that Ole is very lucky to be United manager and went from cardiff to molde to United: ridiculous

freddie the red

Absolutely shocking the way those on the football side of the club have allowed us to sink to these levels.
I admit to getting carried away in the early Ole days right up to and including the PSG away match but, there again, I'm not paid to make decisions at the club.
With a very few exceptions, they should hang their heads in shame.
Great club, pathetic management, poor squad.

DavidDeSchmikes

Man Utd manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, speaking to BBC Sport: "It's disappointing, we started really badly. They are working hard but we couldn't settle down, we gave too many sloppy balls away. The second half we dominated but did not create enough chances."

On Harry Maguire's missed first-half header: "Harry knows he should have scored but when teams are going through difficult periods those are the chances you don't take. But that will come back.

"We have to work on the mindset because I understand the boys being disappointed and lacking a bit of confidence. But I see them everyday, they are good players and they work hard."

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Correct on all points.

Before the Summer transfer window, I predicted Ole will get fired in 2019. My estimate was December and I still think we are on course for that to happen.
I don't think we will get worse....we'll just stay the same and may break into the top 10, however, that won't be good enough to prevent Ole getting the sack in December.

Here's the table as it stands now -
At this moment in time, we are 2 points above the relegation zone - this is a relegation fight.

Scary shit, but Ed Woodward will tell investors not to worry the cash is still coming. He needs booting out and soon.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I do actually just feel sad after watching that. Sad for Ole and the players.

It's crystal clear though that he's in over his head and it has been since the end of last season imo.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Quite possibly the worst United side I’ve seen and I’ve been following them since the end of the 70s. That first 11 anyway. Been a bit unlucky as half the first 11 is injured. That being said today was pretty awful by any standard. United are on a downward spiral and I think there’ll be plenty more games like that to look forward to. I usually look forward to games against Liverpool but I fear the worst this time. Could be a right drubbing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
DDG interview: asked what is wrong. Answer: Everything. What can you do: I don't know. I don't know what is happening. Now tell me the manager has told the team what to do and that they players understand

Camilo

He will never be forgiven if he doesn't feck off right now. Incompetent, clueless, shite.

edgar allan

True, but the buck stops with the manager. Ryan Fraser scored the second highest amount of assists in the Premier league last season (14) and was in the last year of his contract. We all begged Ole to sign Tielemans on the cheap but he wasn't interested.

Ole had a daunting rebuild. But he put all his faith in Mata and Pereira becoming Pirlo and Iniesta, without realising that going into a season without a single player who is consistent in recent seasons, with creating chances, is football suicide. Managers live and die by their calls.
He was handed a poison chalice for sure, as the club were not going to spend to strengthen. Hopwever Ole has to take his share of the blame as he put his misguided faith in Rashford , Martial & Periera and the idea that we had a new class of 92 ready to storm the league.

DavidDeSchmikes

More from Man Utd manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, speaking to BBC Sport: "We are never happy when we don't win and we are going through a very difficult period, but it's not too dissimilar a position to where we were last season where I was disappointed with the attitude, but the attitude here is spot on.

"But when you lack six of the starting XI from the first game, of course that will impact on performances. We will work hard to get them back but the lads who are out there gave everything."

On their next game away at Liverpool: "That's a perfect game for us. The international break is also at the perfect time because their heads need a bit of airing. It doesn't help having a meeting tomorrow. They will go away with their national teams, meet their team-mates and come back fresh.

"We have had a good time together, we have prepared since the first day of pre-season, we have stuck to the same principles. We have not got the result today but we have to keep carrying on."

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You look at the eleven we put out today - we are not better than Newcastle.

I lay hardly any of the blame for that at Ole. But that squad is seriously horrendous and it’s gonna need a lot of spending to improve.
If memory serves me correct, you predicted us to finish top 3 this season.
I thought you were you just winding us up, as nobody who knows anything about football would predict that.
But what about now...do you think that we'll finish top 4?

RedAlways78

Keep Ole. I believe things will click into place. See how it goes until December.

We need a clear out of players. Looking at the goal our defence were pathetic.

Amerifan

More from Man Utd manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, speaking to BBC Sport: "We are never happy when we don't win and we are going through a very difficult period, but it's not too dissimilar a position to where we were last season where I was disappointed with the attitude, but the attitude here is spot on.

"But when you lack six of the starting XI from the first game, of course that will impact on performances. We will work hard to get them back but the lads who are out there gave everything."

On their next game away at Liverpool: "That's a perfect game for us. The international break is also at the perfect time because their heads need a bit of airing. It doesn't help having a meeting tomorrow. They will go away with their national teams, meet their team-mates and come back fresh.

"We have had a good time together, we have prepared since the first day of pre-season, we have stuck to the same principles. We have not got the result today but we have to keep carrying on."
Standard formulaic PR BS. I’m sure inside it kills him to have to stand there and deliver such drivel.

DevilRed

One thing is clear. Perriera, Mata, Fred, Young are not close to the level of footballer we require.

Dalot and Rashford have completely lost their confidence and are sinking fast. They still have time to turn it around, but being young players they need the experienced ones to see them through.

DavidDeSchmikes

From BBC website:
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea has just been speaking to Sky Sports. There was a lot of sighing and trying to find the words.

He said "unacceptable" a whole load of times.

"We didn't create any proper chances. We defended well. The team needs to step up. We have some big injuries but that’s no excuse. We are Manchester United, we need to keep training hard, fighting and winning games."

What do you need to improve?

"Everything. A lot of things to improve. I don’t know what to say. Keep trying, fighting, improving every day. It’s a hard moment for us.

"The most difficult time since I’ve been here. I don’t know why, what is happening. Sorry to the fans. We will keep fighting.

"Come on, we conceded a goal from a comer. That cannot happen. It’s unacceptable."

RepardReece

What did he say near the end , the whole system is wrong or the whole situation is wrong?

Either way he was right about it been unacceptable.
Whole system is not good he said, but the bit that's just stuck out to me is when he mumbled 'we can't score a goal in two games'. He sounded so irritated when he said that.

vangagal

If memory serves me correct, you predicted us to finish top 3 this season.
I thought you were you just winding us up, as nobody who knows anything about football would predict that.
But what about now...do you think that we'll finish top 4?
Isnt he also gloating that he hired by The Athletic IIRC? Must be a writing day at work with this shitshow.

Vanya

Ed Woodward has overseen a team who were champions go through 900 million, 4 managers and ?end up in the relegation places next week. How can he keep his job?
shocking isnt it?! Anyone else int the world would have lost their job if they had such an output. the media, including the pundits dont reinforce this enough. But the buck stops with the glazers and they arent going to sack him.

till woodward and the structure of yes men he's established has not be flushed down the toilet, no manager will succeed at united.

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Newcastle 1:1 Man Utd